ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Are you concerned about Global climate change? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138925)

Fat Elvis 04-13-2006 11:15 PM

Are you concerned about Global climate change?

I was in the doctor's office today and I was reading a Time magazine article that talked about the catastrophic effects of global warming on our environment. Usually, I'm just, "eh, whatever...," but today for some reason that article really resonated with me.

It seems that the impact and fallout from global warming is accelerating at a pace that was completely unforseen, and that certain feedback loops are really amplifying the effects on the climate. It was shocking to see some of the before and after pics of glaciers and ice shelves.

It seems like the world that my kids will inherit may be very different from the world that I grew up in.....

SBK 04-13-2006 11:32 PM

I would say that when God created the earth He knew what He was doing.

So no, I think all this global climate change and global warming talk is a bunch of crap.

Taco John 04-13-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbuskid
I would say that when God created the earth He knew what He was doing.

So no, I think all this global climate change and global warming talk is a bunch of crap.

What does that have anything to do with anything?

SBK 04-13-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
What does that have anything to do with anything?

AM I CONCERNED ABOUT GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE?

You did read the thread title correct?

Taco John 04-13-2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbuskid
AM I CONCERNED ABOUT GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE?

You did read the thread title correct?

Yeah. It was the ignorance of your answer that dumbfounded me. God doesn't guarantee a safe earth free from the effects of Global Climate change.

Taco John 04-13-2006 11:41 PM

I believe in God, so pshaw to the Ice Age... Bunch of made up mumbo jumbo...

Dunit35 04-13-2006 11:43 PM

I am alittle concerned. In a 100 years or more is when people should start getting even more concerned about it.

SBK 04-13-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah. It was the ignorance of your answer that dumbfounded me. God doesn't guarantee a safe earth free from the effects of Global Climate change.

I merely stated that I am not worried about it because I think that God knew what he was doing when he created this place.

Call me ignorant all you want, I merely answered the question.

Fat Elvis 04-13-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35
I am alittle concerned. In a 100 years or more is when people should start getting even more concerned about it.

The upshot of the article was that for a long time people thought we had a 100 years to worry about it, but that is no longer the case. The transformation over the last several years alone have been greater than anyone expected. Basically, we are totally screwed....

banyon 04-13-2006 11:55 PM

nah, there's only like 90% of scientists on board with this idea.

I'm waiting til it hits 98% to take this problem seriously.

FloridaMan88 04-13-2006 11:56 PM

What was the temp in KC today, around 90 degrees in early April?

Rausch 04-13-2006 11:57 PM

If by worried you mean I'm helping to cause it, then no.

If by worried you mean that we've only had reliable science and computers capable of working entricate calculations for about 40 years (at best) and we have no idea WTF kind of cycles the world operates in.....then yeah, I'm scared $#itless...

Taco John 04-14-2006 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
...and we have no idea WTF kind of cycles the world operates in...

Where in the world did you get that idea?

Pitt Gorilla 04-14-2006 12:02 AM

Eh, I still know people who won't concede that man may have something to do with climate change. They provide no evidence for their position, which is just as strange. I don't get it.

Rausch 04-14-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Where in the world did you get that idea?

Well, we've been able to monitor weather patterns for (at best) around 60 years now.

The planet has been around how long?

How well do we really know when global warming/ice ages occur?

Sample size is everything in science, and right now we're taking a bucket out of the ocean and predicting what the Pacific consists of...