ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Eggs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268045)

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 09:46 AM

Eggs

What the hell is the industry doing to the chickens or their eggs that is making it nearly impossible to get a decent looking deviled egg?

For the past couple of years, probably 50% of the eggs Bob Dole boils don't peel worth a shit. Talked to 3 different people this holiday season who have the same problem. Mom just baked two as an experiment, and it yielded the same results.

Something has changed.

GloryDayz 12-26-2012 09:49 AM

Did you fertilize them first or something?

Rasputin 12-26-2012 09:50 AM

Your dOing it wrong ?

Ceej 12-26-2012 09:50 AM

Deviled eggs as a holiday treat? - no thanks.

Deviled eggs as a BBQ treat? - yes, please!

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9241478)
Your dOing it wrong ?

Not doing it any differently than the previous 20 years. That's kind of the point.

shakesthecat 12-26-2012 09:52 AM

I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

Rasputin 12-26-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241485)
Not doing it any differently than the previous 20 years. That's kind of the point.

:hmmm: PM Bob Dole & see if

oh wait nvmind.

ptlyon 12-26-2012 09:54 AM

damn Global warming

KCUnited 12-26-2012 09:54 AM

Have had that problem with Costco eggs for years, just won't peel worth a shit. Wife picks up gets from a local market and they do much better.

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakesthecat (Post 9241488)
I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

Is that confirmation that you are losing chunks of the egg white as well?

This is serious. It's ****ing annoying, and Bob Dole wants a goddamned answer from the industry about what is causing it!

GloryDayz 12-26-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Ph, calcium and saline levels in the water... Just for fun try bottled/purified/spring water or even distilled water next time...

htismaqe 12-26-2012 09:56 AM

My brother in law raises chickens.

His eggs are 100% organic and ****ing delicious. Store-bought eggs suck.

Nzoner 12-26-2012 09:57 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ct3CcR3c4oM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dartgod 12-26-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241472)
What the hell is the industry doing to the chickens or their eggs that is making it nearly impossible to get a decent looking deviled egg?

For the past couple of years, probably 50% of the eggs Bob Dole boils don't peel worth a shit. Talked to 3 different people this holiday season who have the same problem. Mom just baked two as an experiment, and it yielded the same results.

Something has changed.

Baked? Who, besides Bob Dole's mother, bakes eggs?

HonestChieffan 12-26-2012 09:58 AM

Eggs dont peel well until they have been in fridge a few days. Eggs we get today are seldom stored before hitting the shelf at store. Sounds odd, but they are too fresh.

In58men 12-26-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241497)

This is serious. It's ****ing annoying, and Bob Dole wants a goddamned answer from the industry about what is causing it!

Boil water, insert eggs into the boiling water. Let them boil for approx 17 minuets. Peel under cold water. Guarantee your eggs won't stick to the shells

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9241498)
Ph, calcium and saline levels in the water... Just for fun try bottled/purified/spring water or even distilled water next time...

Have attempted salting the water, vinegar in the water, distiller water, and as noted, NO WATER AT ALL.

THEY ARE ****ING UP BOB DOLE'S EGGS AND BOB DOLE DEMANDS SOME ANSWERS!

The ****ing government wants to set up a ****ing subcommittee to investigate every other damned glitch. Maybe that's the answer.

The truth is out there.

HonestChieffan 12-26-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241513)
Have attempted salting the water, vinegar in the water, distiller water, and as noted, NO WATER AT ALL.

The ****ing government wants to set up a ****ing subcommittee to investigate every other damned glitch. Maybe that's the answer.

The truth is out there.

scroll back....

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9241505)
Baked? Who, besides Bob Dole's mother, bakes eggs?

She saw it on Pinterest and Alton whatshisname endorsed it.

Fail.

Ceej 12-26-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241519)
She saw it on Pinterest and Alton whatshisname endorsed it.

Fail.

As knowledgeable as that guy is I really want to punch him in the face and break his glasses.

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9241508)
Eggs dont peel well until they have been in fridge a few days. Eggs we get today are seldom stored before hitting the shelf at store. Sounds odd, but they are too fresh.

Have done it with eggs that have been in the fridge for a week. Have refrigerated after boiling. Have brought water to boil, reduced to just under boil, inserted cold eggs, set timer for 12,15 and 17 minutes. Have chanted spells above boiling eggs while waving burning sage. Have spoken softly to eggs while they were boiling. Have peeled under running cold and hot water.

It's the ****ing eggs.

Stewie 12-26-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

This.

Fresh or Grade AA eggs are difficult to peel. Buy Grade A eggs and you should be fine (or Grade AA if they've been in the fridge for several days).

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9241501)
My brother in law raises chickens.

His eggs are 100% organic and ****ing delicious. Store-bought eggs suck.

Does he deliver? Because that is totally awesome but likely doesn't change Bob Dole's egregious egg environment.

GloryDayz 12-26-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241513)

The truth is out there.

Odd, I'm in Lee's Summit and I've had it happen before, but usually a bit of vinegar solves it... Mine came out just fine.. And I just checked, and our eggs came from Hy-Vee, can't tell you where the eggs originated..

HonestChieffan 12-26-2012 10:10 AM

Mr Bob Dole should admit he knows pie but cannot figure out eggs. Then you can relax. As we age, some things become more difficult.

scorpio 12-26-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

This. Boiled eggs peel much better as they get closer to the expiration date.

HonestChieffan 12-26-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9241541)
This. Boiled eggs peel much better as they get closer to the expiration date.

They need to rest in fridge unboiled first

redgoldexpress 12-26-2012 10:19 AM

I am a cook for a living in a retirement community where our residents love hard boiled eggs and we make about 20 dozen a week. The key to the perfect hard boiled egg is to boil or steam for about 20 minutes or so. Once you do this you want to shock it in ICE WATER not cold but ICE. The reason behind this is that on the inside of the shell is a thin membrane that is attached to the shell to help it hold together. As a egg is boiled the expands ever so slightly. What the ICE WATER does is shock the temperature of the egg, when that is done the egg will separate from the shell with the membrane. Then proceed to peel with running cold water to act as a lubricant while washing the egg off at the same time.

shakesthecat 12-26-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241497)

A lot of times one of the ends is cupped, if that makes sense

jspchief 12-26-2012 10:21 AM

Ice water bath after cooking.

shakesthecat 12-26-2012 10:25 AM

I've tried everything everyone has suggested.

They either don't peel cleanly, or have a cupped end.

This isn't rocket surgery. I've been making hard boiled eggs for 20 years without issue until about a year ago.

HonestChieffan 12-26-2012 10:29 AM

rocket surgery?

cdcox 12-26-2012 10:46 AM

BOOM

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-hard-to-peel/

Consider the farm-fresh egg, the pristine symbol of the simple days of pre-industrial farming.

People love them, but there’s a problem: They seem to be getting harder to peel. And though I’ve messily discovered this on my own, there’s some science to back this idea up.

Here in food-crazed San Francisco, fresh eggs are everywhere. After purchasing some of these just-collected treasures for hard boiling, I found it nearly impossible to peel off their shells without pockmarking them. My once-beautiful eggs ended up with more craters than the moon.

It couldn’t be my fault, I told myself. I’d been hard-boiling eggs for decades, most intensively during a six-month egg-salad kick in ninth grade. I got my technique down and everything.

What happened, then?

As an egg ages, it loses some carbon dioxide through tiny pores in the shell, making the egg white more basic. At the same time, it loses moisture, which increases the size of the “air cell” at the bottom of the shell, between the inner and outer membranes. The dynamics of this process are, in the words of a University of California, Davis agriculture publication, “not completely understood,” but the combination of these changes makes an old egg a lot easier to peel than a one that is fresh out of the bird.

“The best guarantee of easy peeling is to use old eggs!” wrote Harold McGee, in his monster 800-page tome, On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. “Difficult peeling is characteristic of fresh eggs with a relatively low albumen pH, which somehow causes the albumen to adhere to the inner shell membrane more strongly than it coheres to itself.”

The USDA provides a complementary explanation more focused on the air cell, which you can see in the schematic, sitting between the outer and inner shell membranes.

“As the contents of the egg contracts and the air cell enlarges, the shell becomes easier to peel,” the USDA Shell Eggs from Farm to Table fact sheet states. “For this reason, older eggs make better candidates for hard cooking,”

McGee also suggests an easy cooking chemistry solution.

“If you end up with a carton of very fresh eggs and need to cook them right away, you can add a half teaspoon of baking soda to a quart of water to make the cooking water alkaline (though this intensifies the sulfury flavor),” he wrote.

While I’ve noticed the Peeling Problem most distinctly with superfresh farm eggs, the eggs you buy at the supermarket could be getting fresher too. Most American eggs are produced and distributed by agribusiness concerns like Cal-Maine and Rose Acre, which each have more than 20 million hens cranking out eggs just for you.

Statistics on the time it takes for an egg to go from hen to supermarket have not been calculated, a USDA representative told Wired.com, but there’s some reason to believe that new production techniques could be delivering eggs to markets faster.

A 1998 report by the agency found that big consolidated chicken egg facilities, which wash and package the eggs on-site instead of sending them to a separate processing location, could reduce the time from farm to store from 100 hours to 53 hours. And, according to Cal-Maine’s SEC filings, the industry continues to centralize, squeezing out the old facilities in favor of the new ones.

Eggs tend to sit on the retail shelf longer than they spend in processing and distribution, so the few extra days of freshness might not make the eggs as dramatically hard to peel as farm eggs.

But if you have any trouble, consider another technofix: automatic Eggstractor egg peeler, anyone?

ptlyon 12-26-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9241576)
rocket surgery?

Surgery. On rockets. DUH.

htismaqe 12-26-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

I don't buy that.

My eggs come straight from the goddamn chicken - they taste better, they cook better, they just straight are better.

Fire Me Boy! 12-26-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

That's the exact opposite of what I've always heard. The older they are the harder they are to peel. And eggs in the store are always older than farm fresh.

bevischief 12-26-2012 10:58 AM

It's midgets.

Nzoner 12-26-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9241609)
And eggs in the store are always older than farm fresh.

:doh!:

:D

BigMeatballDave 12-26-2012 11:08 AM

I HATE BIG EGG

Groves 12-26-2012 11:14 AM

Ask any old timer housewife and they'll agree, old eggs make better peelers.

You can't win with that fact in our fresh-obsessed society, but hopefully we can remain objective with wines, cheeses, and other items that actually do better with a little age. (like eggs to be peeled)

DJ's left nut 12-26-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

That's funny, the wife and I were just complaining about the same thing.

Eggs are not peeling for shit right now.

ILChief 12-26-2012 11:34 AM

Egglands best eggs peel a lot better than the cheap ones

Rain Man 12-26-2012 11:38 AM

It's probably the thing that cdcox posted, but just to be thorough, check your fingernails. Do you still have them? Are they still hard? Are you eating eggs after swimming long distances, for example, the English Channel?

PRIEST 12-26-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redgoldexpress (Post 9241552)
I am a cook for a living in a retirement community where our residents love hard boiled eggs and we make about 20 dozen a week. The key to the perfect hard boiled egg is to boil or steam for about 20 minutes or so. Once you do this you want to shock it in ICE WATER not cold but ICE. The reason behind this is that on the inside of the shell is a thin membrane that is attached to the shell to help it hold together. As a egg is boiled the expands ever so slightly. What the ICE WATER does is shock the temperature of the egg, when that is done the egg will separate from the shell with the membrane. Then proceed to peel with running cold water to act as a lubricant while washing the egg off at the same time.

This

;)

MahiMike 12-26-2012 11:42 AM

You're boiling them too long.

listopencil 12-26-2012 12:00 PM

Eat them raw. Problem solved.

RealSNR 12-26-2012 12:15 PM

Send a PM to Bob Dole. He'll fix it right away.

RealSNR 12-26-2012 12:16 PM

(Sheesh. Took you guys this long?)

stonedstooge 12-26-2012 12:18 PM

Funny, I boiled some eggs 2 days ago and wondered why they were so easy to peel compared to ones I've bought the last 2 or 3 years

listopencil 12-26-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9241805)
(Sheesh. Took you guys this long?)

http://www.fixacar.net/antifreeze1.jpg

KCWolfman 12-26-2012 12:45 PM

Start the eggs in cold water (don't drop in hot or boiling water).
As soon as the water boils, turn it off and remove from the heat.
Let set about 15 minutes in the water as it cools.
Place ice in the bowl for another 5 minutes.
Peel.

They will come out perfectly.

The problem is eggs are being delivered faster than ever before. They are refrigerated almost immediately instead of sitting at room temperature for 24 hours like they used to. Fresh eggs don't peel as well as eggs that are a few days old.

Rain Man 12-26-2012 01:05 PM

Did I just see kcwolfman?

Fire Me Boy! 12-26-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9241846)
Start the eggs in cold water (don't drop in hot or boiling water).
As soon as the water boils, turn it off and remove from the heat.
Let set about 15 minutes in the water as it cools.
Place ice in the bowl for another 5 minutes.
Peel.

They will come out perfectly.

The problem is eggs are being delivered faster than ever before. They are refrigerated almost immediately instead of sitting at room temperature for 24 hours like they used to. Fresh eggs don't peel as well as eggs that are a few days old.

Yep. That's the tried and true Cook's Illustrated perfect hard boiled egg method.

Bob Dole 12-26-2012 01:28 PM

While Bob Dole appreciates all the various and sundry methods the esteemed membership uses to obtain their perfect peel, the fact remains that sumpin' be different.

Bob Dole (and Bob Dole's Moms) did not suddenly un-learn how to UNBOIL A ****ING CHICKEN EGG.

What's that .gov site where you can ask the President to do something? This issue needs examination at the highest levels.

mlyonsd 12-26-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9241472)

Something has changed.

Baked hard egg? I must lead a sheltered life.

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-26-2012 02:34 PM

I think you need to freeze shock old eggs and you'll be in business. So go ahead and buy eggs you plan to boil 6 months from now.

Or you can do what I do and boil them in boar semen. The yolk will fly out of the shell.

Bump 12-26-2012 02:46 PM

the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peal. Like someone else said, age them in the fridge for a bit

BlackHelicopters 12-26-2012 05:22 PM

Ask a chicken.

FlaChief58 12-26-2012 05:28 PM

I have to agree with Bob Dole. The Mrs makes awesome deviled eggs but, because she has the same porblem with peeling, she stopped making them :cuss: We found a local farm where we can get eggs (nearly twice as much) which peel fine. It has to be something they're giving chickens at the big commercial farms

Just Passin' By 12-27-2012 01:32 PM

Have you tried the peeling-by-blowing technique? There are a bunch of videos showing it on youtube.

Mrs. Loopner 12-27-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9241980)
I think you need to freeze shock old eggs and you'll be in business. So go ahead and buy eggs you plan to boil 6 months from now.

Or you can do what I do and boil them in boar semen. The yolk will fly out of the shell.

LMAO LMAO

ExtremeChief 12-27-2012 03:02 PM

Apparently the yoke is on you Bob.

BigOlChiefsfan 01-01-2013 11:46 PM

You've got to buy better looking eggs. The cute kind that you find a-peeling.

DaKCMan AP 01-02-2013 08:53 AM

I buy these and they peel just fine.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zqn1mhHYSV...tarianeggs.jpg

Rugby Thompson 01-02-2013 08:59 AM

eggs are gross and smell like shit

dtebbe 01-02-2013 10:33 AM

Get one of these:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=40817224

You poke a little hole in the top of the egg before cooking and it cooks the egg stationary, and they peel like a dream every time.

DT

patteeu 01-02-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe (Post 9267716)
Get one of these:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=40817224

You poke a little hole in the top of the egg before cooking and it cooks the egg stationary, and they peel like a dream every time.

DT

I've got one. It works pretty well, but for boiling I think it's just as easy to do it the old fashioned way. I got mine for making poached eggs.