ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Polling the ChiefsPlanet Parents... Is 7 too young for a Gun? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=157031)

LV Tim 01-20-2007 09:59 PM

I haven't seen too many seven year olds with enough responsibility to take care of a puppy. Kids can do some very stupid things without thinking . . . like shooting the gun off in the house, putting a hole in the refrigerator. Then blaming it on my (er his) sister.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-20-2007 10:03 PM

This ranks up there with telling your seven year old to drink Bleach instead of apple juice and shut himself in the dryer for an hour instead of the amusement park on levels of intelligence.

(FWIW I'm not anti-gun, but considering his dad isn't much of a hunter and the kid's age as well as the weight of the gun and the lack of dexterity and strength that a 7 year old is going to have, it's an absofuckinglutely reeruned idea.)

Skip Towne 01-20-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs
Nice dig there, Morphiass. You were way cooler when you weren't a mod.

He wasn't cool then either. He said so himself.

Bowser 01-20-2007 10:05 PM

He'll shoot his eye out. Right out the back of his head.

2112 01-20-2007 10:06 PM

Way too young....my friend started having his son use a bow and gun at 10 years old..and he's an avid hunter..so it's not like he's a novice..

morphius 01-20-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
He wasn't cool then either. He said so himself.

Just some of us realize it without being told...

morphius 01-20-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

I guess he is gonna use the gun to shoot neighborhood squirrels. Brilliant.

Is that what the guy is actually saying? Does the guy shoot at a range a lot?

teedubya 01-20-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius
Is that what the guy is actually saying? Does the guy shoot at a range a lot?

Yeah, he said deer hunting was boring, but shooting squirrels is fun.

Uh, he also said that he got his kid the "Kid Size" gun. I guess this must be all the rage in Arkansas.

I have no idea why they have the reputation for being dumbasses down there. None at all.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-20-2007 10:15 PM

"Seven year old accidently kills suburban mother when he misses squirrel"

morphius 01-20-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah, he said deer hunting was boring, but shooting squirrels is fun.

Uh, he also said that he got his kid the "Kid Size" gun. I guess this must be all the rage in Arkansas.

I have no idea why they have the reputation for being dumbasses down there. None at all.

Okay, I'm glad I didn't vote yet. He is a dumbass, though I think 7 could be okay if the parent is mature enough, but this guy doesn't fit that in any sense.

KChiefer 01-20-2007 10:22 PM

I just don't see what good can come from giving a 7 year old a real gun. Does he want him to be the next lone ranger? What the hell did he get him a gun for if he himself isn't even an enthusiast? I got a bb gun when I was 10 or 12 and that was good enough by me.

I also remember being a kid and having my drunk dad decide to teach me about guns. We drove to the country and he when he shot the rifle, it recoiled into his eye and he started bleeding. Nice going Dad.

Last 4th of July I went camping. My friends brought guns to shoot. So my one buddy was drinking all day and decided to try his hand at shooting. I then went to the other side of the property. No lie...he shot himself in the foot with a revolver. He was the luckiest SoB ever, because the bullet went between his toes only tearing off some skin.

Ask your buddy if he thinks little arabs shooting guns looks crazy. I'm not saying he's training his kid to kill, but those images disturb me.

Guns in the hands of 7 year olds... :shake:

Bowser 01-20-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hummus' Jenkins
"Seven year old accidently kills suburban mother when he misses squirrel"

You KNOW it's coming. If not this dipshit, then one of his neighbors.

Eleazar 01-20-2007 10:39 PM

If the gun is kept locked up and he takes his son to the shooting range with it, what's the problem?

I don't see an issue with kids learning about guns and how to use and enjoy them safely from an early age. If anything it will probably make them take guns more seriously when they are older. (Provided the dad is a responsible adult and knows all this himself)

Obviously the kid shouldn't be toting it around the neighborhood like it's a Red Ryder or whatever.

Smoke 01-20-2007 10:42 PM

I was shooting around 7 or 8, but only 22's and I had to deer hunt with someone till I was 12. I had to use a 20 gauge with slugs till I learned just how far a bullet would travel and to check the background.

I didn't own a gun till my 15th birthday. Noway in hell I'd let my kid even fire a pistol at 7. Or own a 243.

The Dad is really rushing things and I hope he rethinks just how dangerous a toy he's setting his kid up with.

Bowser 01-20-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
If the gun is kept locked up and he takes his son to the shooting range with it, what's the problem?

I don't see an issue with kids learning about guns and how to use and enjoy them safely from an early age. If anything it will probably make them take guns more seriously when they are older.

Obviously the kid shouldn't be toting it around the neighborhood like it's a Red Ryder or whatever.

The kid is in second grade, nothing good can come of it.

Take the kid to a range and let him learn all he could ever want to about guns there (I'm assuming here that you can rent guns there?), just don't let Timmy go around popping caps at squirrels running around. If ever there was a potential recipe for disaster, there you have it.