ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Polling the ChiefsPlanet Parents... Is 7 too young for a Gun? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=157031)

Thig Lyfe 01-20-2007 10:50 PM

http://www.80stees.com/images/produc...ry-Ralphie.jpg

PastorMikH 01-21-2007 12:13 AM

Two of my girls weren't much older than that when they started shooting my guns.

First off, whether the gun is the kids or the dads, the ONLY time he should have it when dad is with him and the ONLY time he should have ammo is when there is a shooting situation and then he should be handed one cartridge at a time.

Now, as for buying the kid a gun. The problem most people don't realize is that a kid will struggle trying to shoot a rifle that is made for an adult. A firearm of proper legnth would be better for him to learn with (And it would be safer as well since the kid can better control the gun).

Would I hand a 7 year old a gun and wish him luck on his hike? No. But I would, with a parent's consent if it wasn't my own kid, teach him or her about shooting and then, when I think they are ready, let them shoot with my strict supervision.

morphius 01-21-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
Two of my girls weren't much older than that when they started shooting my guns.

First off, whether the gun is the kids or the dads, the ONLY time he should have it when dad is with him and the ONLY time he should have ammo is when there is a shooting situation and then he should be handed one cartridge at a time.

Now, as for buying the kid a gun. The problem most people don't realize is that a kid will struggle trying to shoot a rifle that is made for an adult. A firearm of proper legnth would be better for him to learn with (And it would be safer as well since the kid can better control the gun).

Would I hand a 7 year old a gun and wish him luck on his hike? No. But I would, with a parent's consent if it wasn't my own kid, teach him or her about shooting and then, when I think they are ready, let them shoot with my strict supervision.

That was my thinking as well, sadly this guy does not sound like have that level of common sense.

Frazod 01-21-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs
So, is this guy a total dumbass, or am I just a suburban pussy idiot?

He's not a dumbass if he trains the kid correctly.

And you're not a suburban pussy idiot so much as a total and complete tool and a victim of years of liberal media programming.

Yes, all guns are evil, and any child who is taught to shoot will grow up to be a murdering bastard serial killer. Never mind the fact that you can count these horrible shooting incidents on one hand, and that even on the most violent day in high school history, perhaps 99.99999% of all American high school children actually went to school and didn't get killed. Yep, sounds like the end of the world to me. God help us all. :whackit:

I suppose you think breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke will instantly give you cancer, too.

Take a bow; you're Dan Rather's love child.

:shake:

Logical 01-21-2007 01:14 AM

Is it possible a 7 year old could handle a gun with supervision yes. But to give a 7 year old a gun is insane.

BWillie 01-21-2007 01:15 AM

This is pretty ****in' stupid. If you gave a gun to me when I was a seven year old I would of shot someone in the leg to see what it would do. Like I would of known better. When you are seven, nothing makes sense to you. This guy should get his guardian privilages taken away for a while IMO.

Eleazar 01-21-2007 02:11 AM

It would be interesting to follow this kid through his life versus any other randomly selected kid. Of course that all depends on whether his parents are reeruns or not, if they keep it locked up and don't let him near it without supervision in an appropriate setting. 7 is young, but I don't see why 10 or 12 would be too young.

I bet the kid whose parents teach him about gun safety is less likely to end up committing a crime with a gun than the kid whose parents tell him that guns are evil and should be outlawed and never allow him near one.

PiMpALiZe 01-21-2007 02:19 AM

now now children, as an idiot suburban pussy liberal will do, aries has tried to weigh the argument in his favor by giving incorrect facts. lets clear up some of the other incorrect assumptions here that idiot liberals always make to justify their asinine opinions. 1st, i have many guns in my house, this gun will not be a new concept here. i have pistols, rifles, and shotguns..........so a tiny childs model 3-in-1 gun will hardly be what causes a school shooting. 2nd, everybody has guns here, everybody i know has more guns than people in their house, from black ghetto thugs, to redneck trailer trash, i fall somewhere in the middle. so what actually made me purchase this for my sons birthday was the fact that 2 of my coworkers bought their children/nephews child size model guns for their kids around the same age. if there are going to be numerous guns in every friends house my son visits, he needs to learn to respect the power of the gun and he will know how to handle them. 3rd, i am not some newbie to hunting, i just hate deer hunting, sitting there all day motionless for the chance at maybe seeing a couple deer and maybe one getting close enough to hit. i like hunting squirrel and different fowl. 4th, he will not walk around the neighborhood with this gun strapped to his back, he will have the same access to this gun as he has to my guns. but when my son wants to go shooting with me next time, and we see some squirrel or whatever moving, i dont want to let my 60 lb son try and handle the power of my 12-guage, ill let him shoot this 24inch model made specifically for kids his size. here in arkansas we have deer run in the streets of little rock, so it is a different place, im sure if yall had more than toto to shoot at yall would see it in a different light. in closing i am sorry if your kids dont have the maturity that my son has, chalk it up to bad parenting i guess, but guns are here to stay, and if the whiny liberals want to force feed our kids sex education in school because "they are going to have sex anyway" then i will take the same approach in teaching my kids about guns. PiMpALiZe out................heh

HMc 01-21-2007 02:28 AM

you take your 7 yr old to titty bars aswell im assuming?

PiMpALiZe 01-21-2007 02:29 AM

uh, huh?

Bugeater 01-21-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiMpALiZe
uh, huh?

Your username is teh ghey.

PiMpALiZe 01-21-2007 02:40 AM

been my username for 10 yrs bro, thanks for adding your carefully thought out valuable input though, heh.

HMc 01-21-2007 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiMpALiZe
rom black ghetto thugs, to redneck trailer trash, i fall somewhere in the middle.

this disturbs me more than the foetus packing heat thing

|Zach| 01-21-2007 02:42 AM

http://www.ephemera-inc.com/store/pr...mages/1670.gif

Bob Dole 01-21-2007 02:43 AM

Bob Dole took his first hunter safety course sometime around 2nd grade, and was already familiar with firearms.

If the guy intends to educate the kid about safely using a firearm, and doesn't just turn him loose unsupervised with the weapon and a box of ammo, Bob Dole doesn't see a problem with it.