ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows Surface Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282931)

Pushead2 04-10-2014 08:54 PM

Windows Surface Tablet

I tried to search for a thread on this and didn't see any (forgiveness please if Q).

Anyone purchase one of these? Either the 1st generation or the 2nd?

eBay daily deals has a deal on what appears to be the 1st generation, 32GB for only $180.

I primarily will use it for social networking, watching some NHL GameCenter Live and sometimes movies / TV shows.

007 04-10-2014 09:39 PM

I had one and sent it back. the Lack of any real MKV support sucked. Plus, I had all kinds of issues with the wifi dropping on it all the time. If you search the wifi thing is a common problem with them.

Pushead2 04-10-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10554859)
I had one and sent it back. the Lack of any real MKV support sucked. Plus, I had all kinds of issues with the wifi dropping on it all the time. If you search the wifi thing is a common problem with them.

Hmmm, not exactly a stellar review. It seems that its been a hit or miss for people.

I'm in the market for a tablet but I refuse to spend more than $200 but I'd prefer the 10" screen.

Vegas_Dave 04-11-2014 12:26 AM

Depends on your needs. I use a Dell 8" Windows Tablet and really like it. But I do miss the Swype keyboard of the Android tablets.

Pushead2 04-11-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas_Dave (Post 10555109)
Depends on your needs. I use a Dell 8" Windows Tablet and really like it. But I do miss the Swype keyboard of the Android tablets.

Just browsing IG, twitter, watch some shows / movies, normal web browsing & the main thing is to be able to watch NHL GameCenter Live.

I like the idea of the 10" screen, but with the price range I'm looking at, I think I might get a Nexus 7.

Vegas_Dave 04-11-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 10555113)
Just browsing IG, twitter, watch some shows / movies, normal web browsing & the main thing is to be able to watch NHL GameCenter Live.

I like the idea of the 10" screen, but with the price range I'm looking at, I think I might get a Nexus 7.

I have my Galaxy Tab 8.9 (8.9" screen) that runs like a champ for sale. I have it overclocked and it's screen is still flawless. Back is scuffed but who cares too much about that.

PM me if interested.

007 04-11-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

If you plan to do a lot of online streaming I wouldn't go with the Surface. Whenever I tried to stream anything that was when the wifi drops were the most annoying.

Lex Luthor 04-11-2014 01:12 AM

For the price range you're looking at you would get a device running Windows 8 RT, not Windows 8 Professional. That may not sound like a significant difference, but believe me, IT IS.

Windows 8 RT is a piece of crap. It's not really Windows at all. It's an OS that looks and feels exactly like Windows, but you can't install standard Windows applications on it. The only apps you can install are the ones that Microsoft ports over to the RT platform and makes available in the Windows RT store.

Microsoft sells both a Surface RT (total crap), and a Surface Pro (runs real Windows 8). The Surface Pro is much more expensive.

I have a Microsoft Surface RT. the only time I ever turn it on is to update it whenever Microsoft has Windows 8 updates and to show people what a horrible piece of crap Windows 8 RT truly is. I also have a Dell tablet that runs Windows 8 Professional. I turn it on once or twice a week. At least that thing runs standard applications, so it's 1000 times more useful than the crappy Surface RT.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that runs Android, and I have an an IPad. Both are FAR superior to any Windows tablet. The iPad is by far my favorite, but it sounds like an iPad is probably out of your price range.

You should go with an Android tablet. Any of them can do what you're looking for at the price you're looking for.

kcxiv 04-11-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

I have a Nexus 10 bought it last summer, i use it all the time. Its great for for bathroom breaks! lol Its a beautiful tablet. The only problem is the lack of SD card, but for me thats not a real problem, i use it for mostly surfing and the occasional netflix usage and now MLB.TV app for games when im out and about and want to watch some baseball.

BWillie 04-11-2014 03:08 AM

I love mine, but moreso as a full computer without a keyboard. I can see how it might be cumbersome for some just wanting to use it for entertainment purposes only

Pushead2 04-11-2014 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10555134)
For the price range you're looking at you would get a device running Windows 8 RT, not Windows 8 Professional. That may not sound like a significant difference, but believe me, IT IS.

Windows 8 RT is a piece of crap. It's not really Windows at all. It's an OS that looks and feels exactly like Windows, but you can't install standard Windows applications on it. The only apps you can install are the ones that Microsoft ports over to the RT platform and makes available in the Windows RT store.

Microsoft sells both a Surface RT (total crap), and a Surface Pro (runs real Windows 8). The Surface Pro is much more expensive.

I have a Microsoft Surface RT. the only time I ever turn it on is to update it whenever Microsoft has Windows 8 updates and to show people what a horrible piece of crap Windows 8 RT truly is. I also have a Dell tablet that runs Windows 8 Professional. I turn it on once or twice a week. At least that thing runs standard applications, so it's 1000 times more useful than the crappy Surface RT.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that runs Android, and I have an an IPad. Both are FAR superior to any Windows tablet. The iPad is by far my favorite, but it sounds like an iPad is probably out of your price range.

You should go with an Android tablet. Any of them can do what you're looking for at the price you're looking for.

Thanks for the details - it seems that RT is in fact a piece of shit from what I've read elsewhere.

I think I'm going to have to end up getting the Nexus 7 even though I would have like the 10" screen.

007 04-11-2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 10555164)
Thanks for the details - it seems that RT is in fact a piece of shit from what I've read elsewhere.

I think I'm going to have to end up getting the Nexus 7 even though I would have like the 10" screen.

IF you can be patient, you would be surprised at the 10" deals that pop up on www.slickdeals.com every now and then. I don't know that you will see one come in at $200 often but they do happen.

htismaqe 04-11-2014 08:11 AM

You could also go with an off-brand.

My kids have Archos 10" tablets and they've been nothing but flawless so far (one of them broke the DC power supply, but Archos replaced it free of charge).

We paid just over $300 for BOTH of them together.

Pushead2 04-11-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10555134)

An iPad 2 is within my reasonable price range but is it going to be like most Apple Products that they are left for shit once they upgrade?

Aren't they on the 5th generation of the iPad already?

Pushead2 04-11-2014 02:45 PM

I'm also looking at this - man I am so clueless when it comes to Android & tablets in general for that matter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141189507451...84.m1423.l2649