ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I think I understand the new defense. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206816)

Chris Meck 04-27-2009 12:24 PM

I think I understand the new defense.

Ok.
So, I've been confused like everyone else, but I think I now understand what we're going to be doing defensively and how the personnel will fit.

In what our version of the 3-4 will be:

the left outside linebacker will line up on the outside shoulder of the tackle to head up on the TE . This is more like a classic LDE in terms of responsibilities. Outside containment/pass rush type stuff. This is where Hali fits as an OLB. Basically pretty much the same as his role in the 4-3. He can play a little lighter if he likes, as he won't be singled up on the Tackle pretty much ever because:

the LDE will line up on the outside shoulder of the RG (B gap). His job is to shoot that gap between the guard and tackle, attacking the line of scrimmage, disrupting the blocking scheme. This is where you'd use Glenn Dorsey. The role is very similar to what a penetrating DT in a 4-3 scheme would be doing. This is what Haley said they'd do with Dorsey in the PC yesterday. Magee is probably a rotational player at both DE spots. So no more 'Dorsey is a bad fit at NT' talk. That's not the plan, because:

Ron Edwards and Tank Tyler are your NT. However, they're not going to be traditional NT's in the Ted Washington mold. They too will have one gap responsibility, usually shading to the strong side on the center's outside shoulder, (A gap) but not always. They don't need to be 350 pound space eaters, as they're not playing two gap. Personally, I think Tyler is the most promising guy at this spot physically.

Your RILB would be the player that is basically lined up on the center/LG gap (albeit a few yards off the ball) in what would be nearly identical to a classic MLB role (this is what Zach Thomas meant about playing MLB).

Your LILB (Derrick Johnson's spot) is your 'flow to the ball' playmaker. He's covered by the LOLB outside and the LDE right in front of him. On a running play up the gut, for example, the center would take on ONE of the ILB's, but not likely get both, so this guy will probably rack up a ton of tackles.

Your RDE (Jackson) will be on the LG's outside shoulder, with one gap responsibility there. If the guard can't handle him alone, they're in real trouble, because outside the tackle is the ROLB (or rush-backer). Outside containment responsibilities, yes-and rush the passer. This is what Vrabel fits in. he's only a year removed from double digit sacks, and that's because he was injured. He needs only to require the Tackle's full attention to be successful, because that means the LDE has got a single man to beat. The whole point of a 6-5 295 monster DE with long arms is that you HAVE to double him. So choose your poison.

Safeties will play a more prominent role in run support than they did in cover 2 (at least our version, in which they were basically non-existant) and corners will probably play some man. I'm not worried about our secondary, actually, I feel pretty good about it and not too much is different for them.

I think I'm pretty accurate about the responsibilities and the personnel I named is based on the interviews with Pioli and/or Haley.

Did I get it right?

kysirsoze 04-27-2009 12:29 PM

Makes sense to me but I'm not really well educated X's and O's wise.

How much pass coverage responsibility do the LB's have in this system? Just LILB?

CupidStunt 04-27-2009 12:29 PM

Good post. Very accurate. Shame it'll be torn down by idiots.

Dave Lane 04-27-2009 12:30 PM

Thats pretty damn close. Good post

Chiefnj2 04-27-2009 12:30 PM

You think they are going to play a 34 one gap defense?

Basileus777 04-27-2009 12:31 PM

That sounds like the 4-3 under defense that has been talked about.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html

Chiefnj2 04-27-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5719073)
That sounds like the 4-3 under defense that has been talked about.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html

With the 4-3 under your RDE is your pass rusher. I think they said Jackson would be the RDE. It wouldn't make much sense to play in at that position in a 4-3 because he isn't much of a pass rusher.

Basileus777 04-27-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5719079)
With the 4-3 under your RDE is your pass rusher. I think they said Jackson would be the RDE. It wouldn't make much sense to play in at that position in a 4-3 because he isn't much of a pass rusher.

Jackson would be the LDE (on the closed side of the field) in that scheme which plays the 5-tech.

"The defensive end to the tight end side is responsible for controlling the C gap. He is an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the offensive tackle he is lining up against. If the tackle blocks inside then the defensive end has to close down with him in keep relative control of the C gap."

Chris Meck 04-27-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5719071)

yeah, basically. I think that's what they mean by it being a 'hybrid'.

but I don't think they'll play it EXCLUSIVELY. I think there'll be some 4-3 and of course, standard nickel and dime stuff.

bandwagonjumper 04-27-2009 12:39 PM

Great post. I'm by no means a x's and o's type guy but it sounded good.

Mr. Krab 04-27-2009 12:40 PM

Wasn't a detailed post about our defense already posted?

bevischief 04-27-2009 12:41 PM

Very good. Fits the personnel.

Chiefnj2 04-27-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5719091)
Jackson would be the LDE (on the closed side of the field) in that scheme which plays the 5-tech.

"The defensive end to the tight end side is responsible for controlling the C gap. He is an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the offensive tackle he is lining up against. If the tackle blocks inside then the defensive end has to close down with him in keep relative control of the C gap."

I thought Pioli said he wanted Jackson on the open side.

dirk digler 04-27-2009 12:43 PM

Great post Meck

htismaqe 04-27-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5719071)

They're going to use parts of it, yes.