ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Likely to be the finalized staff... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268758)

HolyHat 01-11-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9305351)
well, his crank is so big he has to hold it while he works...

not sure if that helps on defense

ROFL:eek:

Rain Man 01-11-2013 10:35 AM

I don't know Matt Nagy, but he's the most important hire of the bunch. It's not enough to draft a quarterback. You have to give him a strong support and training infrastructure.

bsp4444 01-11-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9305346)
Could be worse, it could have been Don Sutton. Thats the association my mind made when I first read it. Talk about a WTF moment.

My mind read Bob Dutton...

Chiefshrink 01-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9305408)
I don't know Matt Nagy, but he's the most important hire of the bunch. It's not enough to draft a quarterback. You have to give him a strong support and training infrastructure.

Andy will be the primary person developing whatever young QB we take and Nagy will be getting tutored by Reid in the process. Andy will also be tutoring Pederson on how to call plays.:thumb:

Chiefshrink 01-11-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9305346)
Could be worse, it could have been Don Sutton. Thats the association my mind made when I first read it. Talk about a WTF moment.

A brief moment of dyslexia there I think:hmmm:

O.city 01-11-2013 10:46 AM

Would have really rather had Ray Horton as DC, but figured that wouldn't happen.

Buehler445 01-11-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9305277)
Seriously?? You didn't expect a little better, or more experience, at OC/DC/QB coach?

I thought Andy would get one recently fired head coach to be a coordinator.

I thought we would go back to the tampon 2 and that would put a BIG damper on what we have going here.

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9305116)
From what I gathered, the staff will all be announced at once.

OC -Doug Pederson
QB coach - Matt Nagy
RB coach - Eric Bienemy
WR coach - David Culley
TE coach - Tom Melvin
OL - Eugene Chung
DC - Bob Sutton
DL - Tom Brasher
LB - Gary Gibbs
DB - Emmitt Thomas/Otis Smith *assistant
ST- Dave Toub

Senior offensive assistant/Assistant HC - Brad Childress

Don't know the quality control guys yet.

That is a dynamic staff imo. I like it.

chiefzilla1501 01-11-2013 10:57 AM

Not excited. Here's the bright side. He coached two gap but also led the shift to Ryans defense. You hope he learned from Rex. Rex is definitely an innovative mind. Plus, I appreciate that Reid is picking a scheme to match the talent instead of forcing a 43. First time in how many years that a coordinator wasn't plucked from a tree.

I'll be patient. I'm curious if he wants more two gap like mangini or attacking like Ryan.

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305300)
It doesn't create needs, it just moves them.

Right now we need to 3 'box' defenders; 2 DEs and an ILB. If we switched to the 4-3, we'd need 2 'box' defenders, IMO and 3 at worst - 2 OLBs and maybe a NT. Houston and Hali would move to DEs with Poe in the undertackle role. I think Powe could be a very good 4-3 Nose, so I'm not sure that's a true need if you switch to a 4-3.

It doesn't create any holes, it just moves them. We did a shit job at converting to the 3-4 anyway; most of the guys we had in it weren't all that well suited for it and one guy that was (Jackson) actually sucked a great deal. I'd go back to the 4-3 and focus on creating pressure from my down lineman like the Giants did to win the SB.

Rapoti is good to go at 34RDE and Tyson J is far from suckage at 34LDE. you put these men in a 1 plus 2 gap scheme and they will get you pressure along with Poe up the middle. Add in Hali/Houston and you have a pass rush.

You swap this team out to 43 D and you have to start over in the pass rush dept.

beach tribe 01-11-2013 11:00 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm excited about Sutton. I think he's ready for a DC shot, and will stick to the 3-4.

BossChief 01-11-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9305176)
My buddy is a beat writer for the Jets. He said that Sutton really pushed for a more simplified approach from Rex.

He runs an attacking defense.

Then I am happy with the hire.

That's what we need.

beach tribe 01-11-2013 11:01 AM

Looks like a really good staff.

beach tribe 01-11-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9305494)
Then I am happy with the hire.

That's what we need.

It's exactly what we need.

O.city 01-11-2013 11:02 AM

Looking like we hired a guy to fit the talent we already have on defense. I like it.