ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Timewarner Cable in KC now Offering ESPN-HD (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98240)

Craash 09-11-2004 03:13 PM

Timewarner Cable in KC now Offering ESPN-HD

It's official, TWC in KC is now offering ESPNHD. It's part of the HD Package. Wohoo!

Craash 09-11-2004 03:27 PM

Well, just like women, HDTV content can be different quality. I would be interested to know what you watched, what type of display it was on, and how much you had already drank. The difference between normal football, and true 108i or 720p football is night and day in my eyes.

unlurking 09-11-2004 03:35 PM

Yeah, and ESPN HD sux IMHO. Half the times the games aren't filmed in HD, so they just stretch the screen and everything is fat and squat. There news programs and such are like this and very annoying. When they are showing a game RECORDED in HD format, it's awesome, but that seems kinda rare.

Deberg_1990 09-11-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craash
Well, just like women, HDTV content can be different quality. I would be interested to know what you watched, what type of display it was on, and how much you had already drank. The difference between normal football, and true 108i or 720p football is night and day in my eyes.

Very Very true.......the content of actual HDTV varies soo much right now. Alot of these local broadcasts are only 480 and 720i 1080 looks outstanding and is like night and day from 720

Craash 09-11-2004 03:38 PM

Unlurking, Tomorrow's Chiefs' game will be HD, and guess what is the ONLY channel you'll see it in all it's glory on?

unlurking 09-11-2004 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craash
Unlurking, Tomorrow's Chiefs' game will be HD, and guess what is the ONLY channel you'll see it in all it's glory on?

Like I said, if the game is filmed in HD, then ESPN is just like any other HD channel, except for the "squish ur head" commercials, pre-game, half-time, post-game, etc.

If it is NOT filmed in HD, I'll just flip over to the regular ESPN so that I don't get "squish ur head" football.

Either way, I'll get to watch the game in standard 4:3 formart, so I'm stoked!
:)

EDIT: Notice that ST has SEVEN (count 'em SEVEN) games in HD tomorrow?!?! WOOT!!!

Craash 09-11-2004 03:52 PM

Funny, Right now ESPN is 4:3 with animated espn sidebars, as opposed to just black sidebars or stretched content. Odd. Anyway, like you, I'm stoked that I get to see this game in HD.

unlurking 09-11-2004 04:26 PM

Really?

Wow, about time!!! I haven't watched ESPN HD since a hockey game during the last playoff that was "squished". If they are not doing that to everything anymore, I will likely stop watching the regular channel!

Thanks for the update!

DRU 09-11-2004 05:47 PM

I'm watching ESPN HD right now and it's true 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio. Looks outstanding.

I was reading something about other broadcasts...like CBS for example. They only have 2 actual HD teams or whatever. Therefore, they're gonna pick 2 games a week to ACTUALLY record in HD. The others won't be. This is why you might see an HD channel not look HD. It's not braodcast that way. And yes, true 1080i is the only way yo'll get the mouth watering picture.

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
A buddy of mine recently got the Cox HDTV cable box. I was over hanging out at his house... and I didn't think it was all that big a deal. I mean, yeah, the picture was nice and all. But, it's not like I saw anything so mindblowing as to justify the cost. I don't understand what everyone has such a hardon about.

I don't either. I think it depends on what you are used to watching. If you are used to digital cable or Directv, it isn't that much better. Certainly not worth the cost.

chiefqueen 09-11-2004 06:06 PM

I was told last Sun. when I had the cable guy over that TWC should be coming out with HD DVRs in the next week or so.

DRU 09-11-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

I don't either. I think it depends on what you are used to watching. If you are used to digital cable or Directv, it isn't that much better. Certainly not worth the cost.
I'm trying to figure out the cost deal. I pay an extra $10/mo for all HD channels. That's it. and the picture is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER! For those of you who say it's not any better than digital cable...you're flat wrong. And you probalby haven't seen an actual HD broadcast.

unlurking 09-11-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU
I'm trying to figure out the cost deal. I pay an extra $10/mo for all HD channels. That's it. and the picture is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER! For those of you who say it's not any better than digital cable...you're flat wrong. And you probalby haven't seen an actual HD broadcast.

Don't know how many creature shows I've watched on Discovery HD just because the picture is so amazingly gorgeous. It can be mezmerizing.

But then again, I also have 20/20 and don't use coke bottles. Maybe as I get older and leave my specs by my false teeth in the bathroom I'll believe that HD isn't any better than refular TV.

KChiefs1 09-11-2004 06:32 PM

Quote:

I'm watching ESPN HD right now and it's true 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio. Looks outstanding.
It's the only way to watch sports!:toast:

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU

You don't think I've seen HD? Hey, dickwad, I install them. And I didn't say it wasn't any better. I said it isn't much better than standard Directv and it isn't. And certainly not worth the cost.