ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft 1:03 BULLSHIT: Which NFL QB do the top QB prospects most compare to in skill-set... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269677)

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:02 PM

1:03 BULLSHIT: Which NFL QB do the top QB prospects most compare to in skill-set...

Seen these comparisons thrown around in all the QB threads. I find them entertaining to see who some of the posters think these prospective QB’s best compared to in the pros.

Example: Some see Geno’s game resemble Aaron Rodgers while others see his game resemble…RG3? Tyler Wilson is suppose to be Cutler or Rivers…. And so on.

I just wanted to get them all in one thread…and you draft gurus…go beyond Smith and Wilson. Who does Manuel, Bray, Glennon, etc. all resemble?

Are any of these guys going to be the next Flacco…? He has turned into a decent QB. :p

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:06 PM

Geno: a mix of Rodgers and McNabb
Barkley: Matt Ryan
Wilson: Rivers

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377702)
Geno: a mix of Rodgers and McNabb
Barkley: Matt Ryan
Wilson: Rivers

I think that is pretty generous.

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:07 PM

Glennon: Flacco
Manuel: Culpepper
Bray: Jeff George

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377705)

SOLD! :thumb:

WhiteWhale 02-04-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377705)

If anyone had anything close to George's physical tools, they'd be a slam dunk for #1.

Billion dollar arm, but a ten cent brain.

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9377704)
I think that is pretty generous.

I think it's pretty accurate.

Don't forget, Matt Ryan had similar concerns coming out of BC..threw 19 picks as a senior and looked to "already be at his ceiling".

I think the comparison is valid.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9377709)
If anyone had anything close to George's physical tools, they'd be a slam dunk for #1.

Billion dollar arm, but a ten cent brain.

Kind of describes Bray...

Deberg_1990 02-04-2013 01:12 PM

Geno = Ted White
Wilson = Steve Stenstrom

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9377707)
SOLD! :thumb:

Half the time Glennon plays, he looks pretty damn good...the other half of the time, he looks like a 4th rounder or worse.

Terribly inconsistent.

I think his upside is Flacco.

WhiteWhale 02-04-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377722)
Half the time Glennon plays, he looks pretty damn good...the other half of the time, he looks like a 4th rounder or worse.

Terribly inconsistent.

Well, Flacco's biggest problem IS his inconsistency.

Deberg_1990 02-04-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9377725)
Well, Flacco's biggest problem IS his inconsistency.

Ill take inconsistency that bad any day.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9377729)

No shit!

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377722)

Terribly inconsistent.

How does he interview? Does he sound as dumb as he looks...?

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9377733)
How does he interview? Does he sound as dumb as he looks...?

It's hard to understand his clucks...well, with the other ostriches flocking around him trying to get a nut.

(On a serious note, I don't really know)

One plus is that he actually is pretty damn mobile for his frame. He isn't Drew Bledsoe back there...the negative with him is that things fall apart under pressure with him, where Flacco seems to be cool as a cucumber under duress.

WhiteWhale 02-04-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9377729)

I agree.

He's a very hot/cold player, but when he's good he's damn good.

suds79 02-04-2013 01:25 PM

I'll take a shot at it.

Matt Barkley: Andy Dalton
Geno Smith: Warron Moon (But a pinch more athletic? Struggling to come up with something)
Mike Glennon: Joe Flacco
Tyler Bray: Jeff George (couldn't agree with this one more)
EJ Manual: Dante Culpepper (easy comparison)
Tyler Wilson: Aaron Rogers (but with a slightly less arm.)

FYI (hate that all my comparisons are white player resembles white guy. Black player resembles black guy. Not my intention)

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9377749)
I'll take a shot at it.

Geno Smith: Warron Moon (But a pinch more athletic? Struggling to come up with something)

FYI (hate that all my comparisons are white player resembles white guy. Black player resembles black guy. Not my intention)

Geno Smith is white?

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9377756)
Geno Smith is white?

Warren Moon is?

DJ's left nut 02-04-2013 01:29 PM

Beat you schmucks to this one months ago - My list in early October and new thoughts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8970151)
I'm just going to think out loud on my comparisons here:

Geno -- Aaron Rodgers. Can move if he needs to, doesn't look to. Not the polished passer that Rodgers was coming out of school, but very close. And Rodgers sat for a bit before he was this Rodgers. Yes, I think Smith can be this good. Still like this call

Bray -- Stafford. Someone later used Cutler, I like that comp better due to Bray's moments of douche but occasional moments of brilliance while having the worst footwork you'll ever see

Barkley -- Schaub Still like it, though Schaub's getting a choker's bone
Murray -- Dalton Yeah, but probably a better version of Dalton

Wilson -- Locker Gonna change this one to Romo. Tough, mobile if pressed, teammates like him, wants to force the ball downfield. Occasional bouts of shitty decisionmaking and I still haven't seen him win anything

Thomas -- An extremely raw Big Ben. Maybe some combo of Ben and Newton. Clearly has some speed that Ben doesn't have but is an even less polished passer than Newton. Freeman perhaps? Yeah, that seems fair - Josh Freeman with Big Ben upside. Ultimately I'll probably have him moved ahead of Wilson by next week, he's just so damn raw. Didn't come out, I still like him

Manuel -- Newton. It's lazy, it's predictable, but it's what I see. Unfortunately the 2nd best comp I can come up with is Vick. He's really something of a hybrid of the two - not as good a thrower as Newton, not as explosive an athlete as Vick. Really, he's probably closer to Vick than he is to Newton. Still not a bad comp, IMO. But I think there's more upside to him than this. Really, I see similar stuff in him and Thomas, though Thomas now appears a bit more polished. Culpepper is probably a better comp due to Manuel's game tendencies. The Vick comp is stupid; not sure what I was seeing there.

Glennon -- Probably nothing, but Joe Flacco is his upside in my world. I like Glennon less and less as the year went on, but ultimately Flacco probably remains his upside

Jones -- Kyle Boller Probably still sucks.

suds79 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9377764)
Beat you schmucks to this one months ago - My list in early October and new thoughts:

Like the Wilson to Romo comparison. Think that's pretty strong.

I struggle with the Geno to Aaron comparisons. Both fairly athletic but I think Aaron runs much more and has a much stronger arm. But to be fair, few people do have as such of an arm.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 08:35 PM

What about....JORDAN Rodgers? :D

O.city 02-04-2013 08:39 PM

OOOOOHHHH I love the Wilson to Romo comps.

Of course I'm probably a bigger Romo fan that most on here, but if Wilson turned out to be that minus the choker stuff, sign me up.

Hammock Parties 02-04-2013 08:43 PM

The Glennon/Flacco comparisons are based on both being tall with big arms and that's it.

Flacco completed 63.5 percent of his passes in two seasons at Delaware...Glennon is at 57 percent...

Someone dipshit team is gonna draft Glennon around 20.

RealSNR 02-04-2013 08:47 PM

Glennon = poop

RunKC 02-04-2013 08:48 PM

Glennon is a lot like Matt Ryan, except he has a stronger arm.

JoeyChuckles 02-04-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9377749)
I'll take a shot at it.

That's only slightly racist, and in a 70 year old grandpa kinda way. You get a pass.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-04-2013 08:54 PM

Tyler Wilson: a better Kevin Kolb
Glennon: Dan Orlovsky
Geno Smith: Matt Ryan
EJ Manuel: Jared Lorenzen
Tyler Bray: David Carr
Landry Jones: Brodie Croyle
Matt Barkley: Matt Hasselbeck

RealSNR 02-04-2013 08:56 PM

In terms of mobility, I really do like the McNabb comparison for Geno Smith. McNabb was a QB who had that ability to scramble, but was always kind of a bit clunky when he did it. Everybody recognized that McNabb would have to be a great pro QB with his arm, and not his legs, though there were still idiot football commentators that said, "I don't know if a running QB like McNabb can win a Super Bowl in the NFL."

It doesn't hurt that he had the arm talent but came from a wide spread system, and that he was drafted by Andy Reid. :D

Here's a comparison I like if Geno doesn't reach his full potential but also doesn't bomb out of the NFL: Matt Schaub. I assume not reaching his full potential would mean he never got control of his lower body as he drives throws, giving him only adequate arm strength. In the NFL, that will get you pretty far, but it will also not allow you to perceive what's around you in the pocket and step up when you need to. Schaub's problem is also that he just can't hit those timely completions the right way when he needs to make them. I can see Geno being that type of passer if things don't go as planned.

RunKC 02-04-2013 08:59 PM

In the same system with the same coach.

Matt Ryan Senior Year

4,507 yards,31 TD's, 19 INT's, 59% completion percentage and 6.9 yards average

Mike Glennon Senior Year

4,301 yards, 31 TD's 17 INT's, 58.5% completion percentage and 7.15 yards average

Amazing how similar they are.

Hammock Parties 02-04-2013 09:06 PM

Yeah but Matt Ryan did it playing for Boston College.

Glennon did it at freaking NC State.

RunKC 02-04-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9378885)

NC State is a suckass school with no talent on offense at all outside of the QB.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-04-2013 09:11 PM

How would you rank arm strength in this class?

I think we all agree that Bray would be one...then who would your next 3 be?

DJ's left nut 02-04-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9378865)
Here's a comparison I like if Geno doesn't reach his full potential but also doesn't bomb out of the NFL: Matt Schaub. I assume not reaching his full potential would mean he never got control of his lower body as he drives throws, giving him only adequate arm strength. In the NFL, that will get you pretty far, but it will also not allow you to perceive what's around you in the pocket and step up when you need to. Schaub's problem is also that he just can't hit those timely completions the right way when he needs to make them. I can see Geno being that type of passer if things don't go as planned.

If that happens, he's a less douchy Phillip Rivers.

DJ's left nut 02-04-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9378885)

I have no idea what distinction you're trying to draw here.

If anything it would've been easier for Ryan at BC.

I don't agree with the comparison, but it's an intriguing set of statistics for sure.

Pin Head 02-04-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9378921)
If that happens, he's a less douchy Phillip Rivers.

or, he's just another ccok suckker, same cloth different roll..

O.city 02-04-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9378890)
How would you rank arm strength in this class?

I think we all agree that Bray would be one...then who would your next 3 be?

IMO, it's Bray Glennon then everyone else.

keg in kc 02-04-2013 11:13 PM

I don't see the Barkley/Ryan comparison. One of the key problems with Barkley is his size. If he's 6'2 at the combine it's because they haven't made him take his heels off yet. I'd probably say he's probably closer to Drew Brees, for that reason. Not that I expect him to play like Brees as a pro. But then again I didn't expect Brees to play like he has, either.

I see Rodgers and RG3 as ultimately the same kind of QB, and I think it would be valid to compare Geno to either/both.

Bray is half George, half Sanchez.

Wilson is more Rivers than Cutler, I think.

Glennon is Osweiler 2.0. Which would be why I've called him Brock Glennon for months.

HolyHat 02-04-2013 11:25 PM

I've never been this excited about a draft, I might actually go to the combine this year and watch some men run around in underwear.

Dave Lane 02-04-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9378888)
Glennon is a suckass QB with no talent at all.

FYP

HolyHat 02-04-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9379193)
FYP

For those of you keeping score at home. That means "Fixed Your Post"

Mr_Tomahawk 02-08-2013 03:03 PM

Nassib?

BossChief 02-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9379144)
I don't see the Barkley/Ryan comparison. One of the key problems with Barkley is his size. If he's 6'2 at the combine it's because they haven't made him take his heels off yet. I'd probably say he's probably closer to Drew Brees, for that reason. Not that I expect him to play like Brees as a pro. But then again I didn't expect Brees to play like he has, either.

I see Rodgers and RG3 as ultimately the same kind of QB, and I think it would be valid to compare Geno to either/both.

Bray is half George, half Sanchez.

Wilson is more Rivers than Cutler, I think.

Glennon is Osweiler 2.0. Which would be why I've called him Brock Glennon
for months.

Barkley was on the Herd a week or so ago and Colin said he is 6' 1-1/2" and that Barkley was clearly taller than him.

Canofbier 02-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9387795)
Barkley was on the Herd a week or so ago and Colin said he is 6' 1-1/2" and that Barkley was clearly taller than him.

From the Barkley thread:

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaw...3804ec91_7.jpg
Barkley next to TJ McDonald (6'3")

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9Tq2EJCcAA2bv9.jpg:large
Barkley next to Te'o (6'2") and Barrett Jones (6'4")

Sorter 02-08-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9387764)
Nassib?

Romo's probably an okay comparison due to their similar release (speed) and ability to move within the pocket. I think Romo's probably a little heavier.

lcarus 02-08-2013 04:21 PM

Geno is like Culpepper, Moon, Vick, McNabb, "Chicken Shit Salad" Printers, Garrard, Leftwich, Russell, and about 3/4 similar to Freeman.