ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Technology training gaps in your town? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122503)

jAZ 08-27-2005 07:24 AM

Technology training gaps in your town?

I'm looking for some input from the general community. I hope it's ok to post this topic here, as I would like to get the input of more than just the pure geeks.

I'm working on a project with IBM and our local community college to help determine what types of courses need to be added to the CC's offerings.

I'd like to get some ideas from you folks as to what IT or other technology courses you wish were offered in your community, but you can't seem to find anywhere.

In the sphere of IT, I think courses on most Microsoft & Java topics are covered pretty well here in Tucson and in most communities. My first thoughts topics on things like OpenSource software packages such as PHP, MYSQL, Linux, OpenSource Server Administration.

If anyone has specific software/tools that are under-trained I'd really appriciate knowing.

Other industy areas of interest to me are Aerospace and Manufacturing.

BigRedChief 08-27-2005 07:32 AM

Braincase has been teaching tech for quite a while here in KC.

htismaqe 08-27-2005 07:38 AM

Per capita, I think my town is fine. 10K people and 1 ME. :D

BigRedChief 08-27-2005 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe

Chit htismaqe is the frigging Walmart/Microsoft monoply in his town.

dtebbe 08-27-2005 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe

Amen, that's always a good thing. I'm just amazed at how little the average male knows about anything electronic or mechanical these days, I guess it's because I was raised by gearheads and tinkerers. There honestly is nothing I can't figure out or fix, if I really want to.

My 6 year old son already has his own tool kit, and maintains all his toys' batteries himself. He has had his own PC since he was 18 mos. old, and sends emails to his nana in Blue Springs. One thing he has that I have never had is the ability to memorize everything. The kid honestly knows more phone numbers than I do. Thank god we have an unlimited long distance plan, because when he decides to call papa, nana, or grandma, he just does it.

I guess it's a case of the apple not falling far from the tree. I'm curious if other techies grew up in the enviroment, or just picked it up themselves...

DT

jAZ 08-27-2005 08:11 AM

I maybe should have specified that I'd like to hear comments based on experiences living in towns with over 10,000 people.

;)

Those in larger towns like KC, Wichita (aerospace topics?), Springfield, etc. are slightly more comparable to Tucson.

:)

jAZ 08-27-2005 08:18 AM

Here's what I've got so far...

* Linux (operating system)
* PHP (web programming language)
* MySQL (database)
* OpenSource Technology built on PHP/MYSQL
* OSCommerce (e-commerce tool built using PHP, MYSQL)...
* WebPortal Software (Mambo, PHP-Nuke)
* PHPList (eNewsletter tool)
* Others???
* Unix
* XML Topics
* Web Services
* eBusiness Fundamentals
* Cisco Systems
* Wireless Networks
* IT Service Management
* Project Management

Bob Dole 08-27-2005 08:22 AM

Banyan Vines.

Phobia 08-27-2005 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobzen
Banyan Vines.

Oh, that hurts me.

I have a $20k education in the product.

Rain Man 08-27-2005 03:48 PM

Sounds to me like you need to do a survey of employers and/or alumni.

As for me, I'd like to find a Visual Basic course for me or an employee.

jAZ 08-27-2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Sounds to me like you need to do a survey of employers and/or alumni.

I will almost certainly do that, if I have time. My meeting on the issue is Tuesday morning. If my input is needed by then, then I figured my best chance would be to survey a few people who live in similar communities that I have a chance of contacting before my meeting (Tuesday morning).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
As for me, I'd like to find a Visual Basic course for me or an employee.

I might be able to help with that.

CCD: CSC 150 Visual Basic

CCD: CSC 152 Database Programming with Visual Basic

jAZ 08-27-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
I will almost certainly do that, if I have time. My meeting on the issue is Tuesday morning. If my input is needed by then, then I figured my best chance would be to survey a few people who live in similar communities that I have a chance of contacting before my meeting (Tuesday morning).

I might be able to help with that.

CCD: CSC 150 Visual Basic

CCD: CSC 152 Database Programming with Visual Basic

BTW, Kevin... have you ever used a program/website similar to this?

PHP Easy Survey Package
phpESP is a set of PHP scripts to let non-technical users create surveys, administer surveys, gather results, and view statistics, all managed online after database initialization with a MySQL database backend.

Rain Man 08-27-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
BTW, Kevin... have you ever used a program/website similar to this?

We just started using something pretty similar to that for online surveys. We don't do a lot of online surveys because they're often not appropriate due to sampling issues, but every once in a while we get a project for it.

I have no idea what program we're using, but it seems to work pretty well. I've got a couple of employees who program it, so I just design the questions and stuff and avoid the technical parts.

Bob Dole 08-27-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Oh, that hurts me.

I have a $20k education in the product.

Oh.

Well, one person should be able to handle the nation-wide demand for that product.