ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto -- My car's timing chain snapped two weeks ago (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274446)

Simply Red 07-12-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9807935)
damn dude, sorry I've been terribly busy with life and missed the thread. Let me read on through it and see if its all been covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it's screwed, such a pretty car to not be operable.

SAUTO 07-12-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9805869)
Nope.

Of course they are, although I'm biased toward Triumphs.

Lotus?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 07-12-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9807942)
I think it's screwed, such a pretty car to not be operable.

It surely could be fixed. It'd all about how much it is worth to you.

If you were closer it could definitely be done...
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 07-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9805889)
Don’t necessarily blame you, the rest of the show isn’t worth sitting through just to see some Morisa boobage. Probably some screen shots on teh interwebs if one were inclined to search.

:LOL: I bought a Triumph Spitfire when I got out of the Army just because I’d always wanted one. And being me I couldn’t leave it alone so I gave the engine a cam, intake, carb, ignition system, header and exhaust then started going through bearings on the rear end. I was about to go through the rear end for a second time when I read the number that completely soured me for working on it any further.
56. That’s how much horsepower they made stock. 56. All the time I spent hopping it up gave it maybe a 10-15% HP increase and that was too much for the spindly little rear end.
I’ll never waste money on a British car again.

I had one at the shop this spring. I looked over the windshield while driving it
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD 07-12-2013 06:49 PM

BTW just to confirm, since I don't think you stated. Basically this happened in a parking lot at idle? And the motor just shut off on you? Sound bad before it shut off? I assume no CEL's before the motor died? Just want to check that it's not something like bad tensioners or chain guides(i.e. those would trigger a CEL but might not kill the motor).

SAUTO 07-12-2013 06:58 PM

You can bend the valves turning the motor over with a ratchet if you roll through it.
if it started at all it could have bent the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD 07-12-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9807970)
You can bend the valves turning the motor over with a ratchet if you roll through it.
if it started at all it could have bent the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely true, but the amount of damage if the valves are bent is likely significantly less than if he dropped a valve. Depending upon how severely they are bent the repair costs could be significantly less compared to if he dropped a valve.

Simply Red 07-12-2013 07:13 PM

it wouldn't start - it tried but sounded like crap, there was some smoke - not much - but some.

SAUTO 07-12-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9808018)
Absolutely true, but the amount of damage if the valves are bent is likely significantly less than if he dropped a valve. Depending upon how severely they are bent the repair costs could be significantly less compared to if he dropped a valve.

Oh for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red 07-12-2013 08:50 PM

Thanks Jason for giving it a look. According to the web - I'm seeing it's a non interference - well, not now - but when it happened - I seem to recall finding it as such when i looked on the web.

Can one of you all look? I'm tired.

2006 Audi A4 3.2L FSI non-turbo - non-quatro

Pasta Little Brioni 07-12-2013 09:10 PM

Scary!!!

El Jefe 07-12-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9807953)
It surely could be fixed. It'd all about how much it is worth to you.

If you were closer it could definitely be done...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey SR, I have a CP connection should you want to take Sauto up on letting him work on your car. I know you could get it to him for not a ton of scratch. Something to think about, I would let him work on anything of mine, even if it meant towing it to his State.