ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ben Affleck is the new Batman (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275523)

Mr. Laz 08-22-2013 07:44 PM

Ben Affleck is the new Batman

Trey Barrineau, USA TODAY 9:27 p.m. EDT August 22, 2013
He'll replace Christian Bale in the Batman-Superman movie planned for 2015.

Ben Affleck will replace Christian Bale in the Zack Snyder-directed Batman-Superman movie that's scheduled to be released in July 2015.

Warner Bros. made the announcement on Thursday.

From the press release announcing the casting:

"Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder's as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director's vision of their universe, which he established in Man of Steel. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

"Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite "Man of Steel" stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

"In the announcement, Silverman stated, 'We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.'

"Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, 'Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can't wait to work with him.'

"Kroll added, 'We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.' remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.'

Affleck has previous experience as a superhero -- he played Daredevil in the 2003 film of the same name.

KcMizzou 08-22-2013 07:52 PM

Well, this'll get people talking...lol

I like Affleck a lot. More than most people. But Jesus... he's got a tough act to follow.

KcMizzou 08-22-2013 07:54 PM

I was just thinking, " ....is Laz ****ing with me?" But it looks legit.

Chiefs Pantalones 08-22-2013 07:55 PM

**** this. I'm not watching that shit now. Terrible actor.

L.A. Chieffan 08-22-2013 08:09 PM

They should probably remake Superman now, its been like 6 months already.

CrazyPhuD 08-22-2013 08:12 PM

This could work if Matt Damon agrees to be Robin.

KcMizzou 08-22-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9907321)
This could work if Matt Damon agrees to be Robin.

NO ROBIN

CrazyPhuD 08-22-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9907326)
NO ROBIN

How about Matt Damon as Bat Girl then?

KcMizzou 08-22-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9907330)
How about Matt Damon as Bat Girl then?

Well,

That'd be weird.

Fire Me Boy! 08-22-2013 08:24 PM

Waiting for Batman to sound like he's from Boston.

Mother****erJones 08-22-2013 08:38 PM

Great. Another shitty batman. Nobody can touch Keaton. Bale was bullshit. So will Affleck

keg in kc 08-22-2013 08:42 PM

Makes sense, if they're going for older (which they are).

DJJasonp 08-22-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9907413)
Great. Another shitty batman. Nobody can touch Keaton. Bale was bullshit. So will Affleck

Huh?:shake:

Raiderhater 08-22-2013 08:45 PM

Terrible choice.

wazu 08-22-2013 08:58 PM

I really don't care who plays Batman. It's who produces/directs the movie, and who plays the villians that matters. Batman as a character is really not that challenging.

wazu 08-22-2013 08:59 PM

The outrage here should be directed at the selection of Zack Snyder.

Demonpenz 08-22-2013 09:00 PM

I hope the joker lures him out of the pool hall and dumps paint on him.

Chiefs Pantalones 08-22-2013 09:18 PM

Matt Damon as Robin? Jay and Silent Bob as Scarecrow and Penguin?

Ebolapox 08-22-2013 09:20 PM

he was the BOMB in phanto....wait, I just did this, didn't I?

Fish 08-22-2013 09:34 PM

http://replygif.net/i/651.gif

whoman69 08-22-2013 09:37 PM

Only upside is he can't possibly be any worse than George Clooney was.

Ebolapox 08-22-2013 09:38 PM

BAT NIPPLES!

Valiant 08-22-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah you need to explain this better on Bale being shit..

royr17 08-22-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9907626)
Yeah you need to explain this better on Bale being shit..

yea no doubt, i thought bale was an awesome batman

KCBOSS1 08-22-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

you've lost ur mind

007 08-22-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCBOSS1 (Post 9907679)
you've lost ur mind

I actually read a few facebook comments on Vudu saying how Adam West is the best Batman. I was like.... :eek:

DaneMcCloud 08-23-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9907791)
I actually read a few facebook comments on Vudu saying how Adam West is the best Batman. I was like.... :eek:

And in many ways, they're right.

I'll hold out judgement until I see the film.

Batman has had many different personalities over the years.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight is my personal favorite but that's because I love the dark.

GordonGekko 08-23-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Keaton > Bale?

What?

You gotta be joking.

In my own opinion, I was thinking Matthew Fox could of been Batman. I know he is kind of old, but if he got into good shape I think he could of done it. He fits the bill physically, he is about 6'3 and reminds me somewhat of Bale.

007 08-23-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9907839)
And in many ways, they're right.

I'll hold out judgement until I see the film.

Batman has had many different personalities over the years.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight is my personal favorite but that's because I love the dark.

I just never cared for Adam West as Batman. Even as a kid I didn't like him. Batman wasn't meant to be a caricature.

While I really did enjoy Bale as Batman, I still think Keaton was the best Batman.

GordonGekko 08-23-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9907846)
I just never cared for Adam West as Batman. Even as a kid I didn't like him. Batman wasn't meant to be a caricature.

While I really did enjoy Bale as Batman, I still think Keaton was the best Batman.

Keaton was good, don't get me wrong. I loved Pfeiffer in her role in the movies as well. But c'mon, better than Bale? Bale just looks like some rich snob that actually has a heart, and has the athleticism to do the things expected of Batman. Keaton was in Mr. Mom.

DaneMcCloud 08-23-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9907846)

The problem that I have with Batman is that no one knows what he was supposed to be because he's been represented in so many ways on TV, in comics, in Saturday morning cartoon and in film.

DaneMcCloud 08-23-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9907843)
In my own opinion, I was thinking Matthew Fox could of been Batman.

Matthew Fox is a lame.

And it's "could have" not "could of".

007 08-23-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9907850)
Keaton was good, don't get me wrong. I loved Pfeiffer in her role in the movies as well. But c'mon, better than Bale? Bale just looks like some rich snob that actually has a heart, and has the athleticism to do the things expected of Batman. Keaton was in Mr. Mom.

And what does Mr. Mom have to do with any of that? That doesn't make him a bad Batman. I just makes him an actor that made a bad choice and still got PAID for it.

007 08-23-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9907843)
Keaton > Bale?

What?

You gotta be joking.

In my own opinion, I was thinking Matthew Fox could of been Batman. I know he is kind of old, but if he got into good shape I think he could of done it. He fits the bill physically, he is about 6'3 and reminds me somewhat of Bale.

Matthew Fox? Get out of here with that shit. LMAO

Dayze 08-23-2013 02:34 AM

Steve O. Would be a great Batman.

rolstrol 08-23-2013 04:57 AM

Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but a weak Batman. I think Bale's performance as Batman limited a lot of his screen time in the Dark Knight sequel

cookster50 08-23-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9907852)
Matthew Fox is a lame.

And it's "could have" not "could of".

It's "is lame" not "is a lame."

BigBeauford 08-23-2013 06:42 AM

Jon Hamm would have been a great choice if up to the physicality of the role.

TEX 08-23-2013 06:49 AM

Will his big head fit in the mask?

KCUnited 08-23-2013 06:51 AM

J Lo as Batgirl

BigBeauford 08-23-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9907989)
J Lo as Batgirl

I like it! "Daaaaayyyyyuuummmmm Bruce, you so stoooooopid!"

Frazod 08-23-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9907853)
And what does Mr. Mom have to do with any of that? That doesn't make him a bad Batman. I just makes him an actor that made a bad choice and still got PAID for it.

While I slightly prefer Bale's Batman to Keaton's, I vastly prefer Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's.

[waits for inevitable dogpile of butthurt outrage from Ledger fanbois]

keg in kc 08-23-2013 08:41 AM

I'm not a ledger fanboy, I just thought Nicholson was over the top goofy. Which I guess worked at the time, but the older I get, the less I like it. Similar to how I feel about the Reeve Superman movies.

keg in kc 08-23-2013 08:43 AM

As far as Affleck goes, if you'd told me five years ago he'd star and direct an amazing film about the the rescue of six U.S. diplomats from Tehran in 1979, I'd have told you you're crazy. The guy can do anything. Daredevil was a long time ago.

Frazod 08-23-2013 08:47 AM

I don't object to Affleck being Batman. I object the whole ****ing idea of a Batman v. Superman movie.

Valiant 08-23-2013 08:55 AM

I understand the Keaton and west best comments. There are like four batman charactures in comics. Each one of them played them properly.

Bale tried going frank miller. But missed. He was still a good batman though.

This goes for jacks joker also. All were acted well for the type of person they were portraying at the time.

I would love to see a proper dark night. I think mickey rourke could nail it.

The Franchise 08-23-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9908186)
I understand the Keaton and west best comments. There are like four batman charactures in comics. Each one of them played them properly.

Bale tried going frank miller. But missed. He was still a good batman though.

This goes for jacks joker also. All were acted well for the type of person they were portraying at the time.

This post is full of stupid.

Bale missed? Mickey Rourke as Batman?

loochy 08-23-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9908186)

hai guys stallone could be batman

Talisman 08-23-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9907200)
Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne.

Whoa, how about some spoiler tags!

cosmo20002 08-23-2013 09:21 AM

The guy from Arrested Development, Jason Batman, seems like a natural choice that they keep overlooking.

seaofred 08-23-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolstrol (Post 9907914)
Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but a weak Batman. I think Bale's performance as Batman limited a lot of his screen time in the Dark Knight sequel

I agree with this. I just couldn't stand how Bale spoke as Batman. It was really annoying.

keg in kc 08-23-2013 09:50 AM

I wonder how much internet outrage there would have been in 1980-whatever when Micheal Keaton was cast as Batman. He's a comedien, wtf are they thinking!?!

Baby Lee 08-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9908155)
While I slightly prefer Bale's Batman to Keaton's, I vastly prefer Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's.

[waits for inevitable dogpile of butthurt outrage from Ledger fanbois]

I won't pile on, but for me it is really truly apples and oranges.

I loved Nicholson's Joker, but it was all about 'Holy shit!! How awesome is it that Nicholson is acting so crazy.'

Nicholson's Joker was a nemesis.

Ledger's was unhinged, muscular and drawn taut. He was creepy and menacing and magnetic and exciting and weary and bored all at once.

Ledger's Joker was a villain.

Baby Lee 08-23-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9908274)
I agree with this. I just couldn't stand how Bale spoke as Batman. It was really annoying.

It annoyed me for all of 5 seconds until I realized it was finally covering an enormous plausibility hole.

The Franchise 08-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9908302)
It annoyed me for all of 5 seconds until I realized it was finally covering an enormous plausibility hole.

This.

People need to get over the whole "voice" thing.

Bowser 08-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9907200)
Trey Barrineau, USA TODAY 9:27 p.m. EDT August 22, 2013
He'll replace Christian Bale in the Batman-Superman movie planned for 2015.

Ben Affleck will replace Christian Bale in the Zack Snyder-directed Batman-Superman movie that's scheduled to be released in July 2015.

Warner Bros. made the announcement on Thursday.

From the press release announcing the casting:

"Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder's as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director's vision of their universe, which he established in Man of Steel. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

"Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite "Man of Steel" stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

"In the announcement, Silverman stated, 'We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.'

"Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, 'Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can't wait to work with him.'

"Kroll added, 'We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.' remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.'

Affleck has previous experience as a superhero -- he played Daredevil in the 2003 film of the same name.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-AZs6yhiRms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

durtyrute 08-23-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9908330)
This.

People need to get over the whole "voice" thing.

NEVER

and to wrap up the suck of all sucky voices, Bain knew that Batman was Bruce Wayne and in that last fight, he still used the voice........AHHHHHH!!!

Molitoth 08-23-2013 10:36 AM

It's not the Actors that ruins it for me...

It's that NOLAN just perfected the Batman story, and now they are coming out with some bullshit batman movie AGAIN. Just let it die, you WILL NOT do better than Nolan.

jd1020 08-23-2013 10:47 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e0QWdnhW9jM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't follow these types of things all that much but apparently, according to this dude, Nicholas Cage was a possibility to play Superman. LMAO That would have been epic.

keg in kc 08-23-2013 10:51 AM

Yeah, there was an infamous 90s superman project with Tim Burton and Nick Cage. Google "Superman Lives" sometime you need to be entertained. Kevin Smith has a great rant about it on youtube somewhere.

Baby Lee 08-23-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9908390)
I don't follow these types of things all that much but apparently, according to this dude, Nicholas Cage was a possibility to play Superman. LMAO That would have been epic.

Way off on Anne Hathaway, IMO.

jspchief 08-23-2013 11:25 AM

Does anyone think it will keep the movie from making truckloads of money? For every pissed fanboy who says he won't see it (and most of them probably will anyway), there will be 2 moms/girlfriends/lemming movie-viewers that will go.

Hollywood doesn't care about pleasing the lunatic fringe, they care about making money.

bevischief 08-23-2013 11:31 AM

That movie sucked...

jspchief 08-23-2013 11:36 AM

Name 3 movies that Affleck played a major role in where he was good. I guess maybe if Batman is from Boston, this could work.

jd1020 08-23-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9908412)
Way off on Anne Hathaway, IMO.

Really?

What was Hathaways role in the movie?

Literally all I can remember of Catwoman was that she was a thief that wanted a clean slate and blew up a blockade. The whole character felt like an afterthought with no purpose beyond what a civilian could/would do.

Valiant 08-23-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9908222)
This post is full of stupid.

Bale missed? Mickey Rourke as Batman?

If you thought bale played millers dark knight you are stupid. I did not say he was a bad batman.

And rourke basically played miller batman in sin city.

I guess I should not expect more from an clueless idiot trying to chime in on comic book movies.

Baby Lee 08-23-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9908441)
Really?

What was Hathaways role in the movie?

Literally all I can remember of Catwoman was that she was a thief that wanted a clean slate and blew up a blockade. The whole character felt like an afterthought with no purpose beyond what a civilian could/would do.

Encapsulated a version of Catwoman I personally endorse, independent, avoiding interaction, self-interested and defensive, but ready to strike brutally, quickly and efficiently when cornered.

Basically 'leave me alone and let me achieve my objectives, and if you confront me head on, you'll find out you are by no means in charge here.'

keg in kc 08-23-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9908440)
Name 3 movies that Affleck played a major role in where he was good. I guess maybe if Batman is from Boston, this could work.

Hollywoodland (irony there), The Town and Argo.

I think the bigger issue is that it's going to be hard to see Bruce Wayne on screen and not Ben Affleck.

jd1020 08-23-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9908450)
Encapsulated a version of Catwoman I personally endorse, independent, avoiding interaction, self-interested and defensive, but ready to strike brutally, quickly and efficiently when cornered.

Basically 'leave me alone and let me achieve my objectives, and if you confront me head on, you'll find out you are by no means in charge here.'

I guess we watched 2 different versions of the movie.

She spent the whole movie running around doing other peoples work, pretty much a 180 from someone "in charge" and her big role to helping Batman stop Bane was using Batmans bike to blowup a blockade.

If there wasn't a cat suit in the movie you'd have a hard time figuring out that was suppose to be Catwoman.

Discuss Thrower 08-23-2013 12:10 PM

Affleck you were the bomb in Phantoms, yo!

Molitoth 08-23-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

I don't know if these count as "major" roles, but he was great in:
-Dazed and Confused
-Boiler Room

Frazod 08-23-2013 12:41 PM

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...16821715_n.jpg

DJ's left nut 08-23-2013 12:41 PM

This might be nuts, but could Jon Hamm have pulled it off?

And I had to go look this guys name up, but wouldn't this dude have been an awesome 'older' batman as well?

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2...niello-440.jpg

Joe Manganiello (I don't know if anyone would've recognized the name). Dude's already built like a truck and I think he was in Spiderman, so it's not something he's unfamiliar with.

Affleck? Suck pick. Even if Hamm couldn't have done it, Manganiello would've killed it.

EDIT: I see I Q'd the Jon Hamm suggestion.

BigCatDaddy 08-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9908432)
Does anyone think it will keep the movie from making truckloads of money? For every pissed fanboy who says he won't see it (and most of them probably will anyway), there will be 2 moms/girlfriends/lemming movie-viewers that will go.

Hollywood doesn't care about pleasing the lunatic fringe, they care about making money.

Because moms and chicks dig superhero flicks.

I think it was going to be VERY tough to pull off, but so much negative publicity I think it's sunk before it sets sail if it's anything other than a top notch movie which I had doubts about even if Bale played Batman.

The Franchise 08-23-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9908573)
This might be nuts, but could Jon Hamm have pulled it off?

And I had to go look this guys name up, but wouldn't this dude have been an awesome 'older' batman as well?

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2...niello-440.jpg

Joe Manganiello (I don't know if anyone would've recognized the name). Dude's already built like a truck and I think he was in Spiderman, so it's not something he's unfamiliar with.

Affleck? Suck pick. Even if Hamm couldn't have done it, Manganiello would've killed it.

EDIT: I see I Q'd the Jon Hamm suggestion.

Manganiello would have at least been interesting and made me want to check it out to see how he'd do. Affleck makes me want to stay the **** away from this shit.

durtyrute 08-23-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolstrol (Post 9907914)

This, I liked Bale's movies better, but I like Keaton's Batman more.

DaneMcCloud 08-23-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Hollywoodland, The Town and Argo

O.city 08-23-2013 01:46 PM

The town and Argo were great movies IMO, Armageddon was good too.

The sum of all fears was cool too

Frazod 08-23-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9908764)
Hollywoodland, The Town and Argo

I haven't seen The Town. What's it about?

DaneMcCloud 08-23-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9908772)
I haven't seen The Town. What's it about?

I don't want to ruin the movie for you. But IMO, it's as good as The Departed.

Affleck and Jeremy Renner were awesome.