ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Hi, I'm Zepsinger. I just had my first Field Sobriety Test. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269774)

ZepSinger 02-06-2013 07:22 PM

Hi, I'm Zepsinger. I just had my first Field Sobriety Test.

So I'm pulling into Lansing KS last Saturday night at about 6pm... my band had a gig at a local bar just east of Leavenworth. I look in the rearview mirror and see the cop cherries- crap.

So, I pull over. Cop asks me like 3 times where I'm from and where I'm going- it seemed pretty obvious he was trying to catch me in a non-truth. Tells me he clocked me at 60 in a 50. OK, not the end of the world- I've had more than a few of those in my time.

Suddenly, he says 'sir, have you had any alcohol tonight? I smell alcohol on your breath.' I say no, then remember that I had had one 12oz. beer with pizza at 2:30. So I tell him as much. Then- 'sir, you'll need to step out of your car'. And then I get the battery of tests- follow the little blue light with my eyes, heel-to-toe 9 steps out and back, lift one foot with arms at the side while counting (by the way- those tests are fairly hard to do even when stone cold sober IMO). Backup arrives. Here comes the breathalyzer. He informs me that I can refuse to take the test, but doing so carries a charge in itself. I know I have nothing to worry about, so I say sure. He then says to wait in my car for the results.

I text the other guitarist to tell him I might be late. Or I might not be able to be there at all. The cop comes back and says 'your BAC is less than .01. KS legal limit is .08. You are obviously well under the limit. But here's your speeding ticket. Have a good evening.'

57 years old and my first field sobriety test. Even though I knew I was going to be OK, it still freaked me out a bit(and sorta ruined my night). I dunno, I've heard from many people that you should never submit to these tests- being a FST virgin, I just didn't know what to do for sure. I knew I wasn't going to test drunk, so I felt pretty safe in taking the test. Maybe that was stupid, I don't know. I'm assuming that some of you CP'ers have experienced this honor as well? What have you done in this situation?

Z

TribalElder 02-06-2013 07:26 PM

Congrats! You popped your cherry :)

Hammock Parties 02-06-2013 07:27 PM

Usually I just give CrazyCoffee neg rep.

unlurking 02-06-2013 07:28 PM

Don't have a choice to refuse the tests in CO apparently. From the police report of the cocksucking asshole drunk driver that hit my son this weekend:

Quote:

I explained Colorado Express Consent Law to Joshua. Joshua refused to complete either a blood or breath test. I asked Joshua if he understood that, by refusing to take either test, his driver's license would be revoked for a period of at least one year. Joshua replied that he understood.
I've done a field sobriety test before (smell of alcohol from passengers), and they are a bitch.

|Zach| 02-06-2013 07:31 PM

Sounds like you played it right knowing full well you were good to go. Never been through it myself.

stonedstooge 02-06-2013 07:33 PM

Hadn't the officer ever heard of Led Zepplin?

DaFace 02-06-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9383364)
Don't have a choice to refuse the tests in CO apparently. From the police report of the cocksucking asshole drunk driver that hit my son this weekend:

I've done a field sobriety test before (smell of alcohol from passengers), and they are a bitch.

Yikes. Your son OK?

Deberg_1990 02-06-2013 07:35 PM

Sounds like you played it cool. So If you refuse, do they haul you downtown? Surely they don't just let you drive off?
Posted via Mobile Device

unlurking 02-06-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9383378)
Yikes. Your son OK?

Yeah, thanks. Just totaled the poor kid's truck. Over the fear for my son, now angry as hell. :(

SAUTO 02-06-2013 07:39 PM

Yeah you also get arrested for refusal
Posted via Mobile Device

ZepSinger 02-06-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9383381)
Sounds like you played it cool. So If you refuse, do they haul you downtown? Surely they don't just let you drive off?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the thing- if you refuse, they take you to the station, interrogate some more, maybe I'd have to hire a lawyer, etc. I could've refused on principal, but doing so would've really screwed up my night, when I knew I had nothing to worry about in the first place. A couple more beers under the belt tho, and man, I don't know which path I'd have taken...

Bwana 02-06-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9383396)
Yeah, thanks. Just totaled the poor kid's truck. Over the fear for my son, now angry as hell. :(

Did the little drunk douche have insurance? Glad your son is ok as well.

notorious 02-06-2013 07:48 PM

If you get pulled over and are not doing anything wrong, just tell the cop that you want to do the breath test right away so that you can get on with your night.

That happened at a checkpoint while I was DD for my wife and her friends. The cop looked at me after I told him that and told me to have a good night.

Mojo Jojo 02-06-2013 07:49 PM

In KS if you refuse you lose your lisence for not taking the test and are arrested. Never happened to me, but know someone who did.

unlurking 02-06-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9383408)
Did the little drunk douche have insurance? Glad your son is ok as well.

Just found out today, only because he's insured through a subsidiary of my insurance agency. The asshole refused to give the cops any information. Now he's lying to his own insurance agent (who was shocked to know he was arrested and that their was a police report). I'm guessing this is the turd's 2nd or 3rd offense:

Quote:

A check of CCIC/NCIC showed a protection order was issued out of Arapahoe County, which prohibited Joshua from possessing or consuming alcohol or controlled substances.

Bwana 02-06-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9383422)
Just found out today, only because he's insured through a subsidiary of my insurance agency. The asshole refused to give the cops any information. Now he's lying to his own insurance agent (who was shocked to know he was arrested and that their was a police report). I'm guessing this is the turd's 2nd or 3rd offense:

Awww, he sounds like a seasoned pro. :shake:

Cornstock 02-06-2013 07:54 PM

Welcome to the club. I had one about a year ago. The test verified what I already knew, that I was well under. Still a waste of 45 min while they ran everyone's IDs for warrants or whatever they were doing.

Demonpenz 02-06-2013 07:55 PM

if you are drunk and you know you are ****ed. Don't say shit. Make them come in your car to get you out. Don't even nod. Don't say shit. Gives the Lawyers something to work with if you say nothing. I remember one of my friends was piss drunk and did that lawyers proved that he had a small stroke and couldn't talk. Boom!

MIAdragon 02-06-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9383357)
Usually I just give CrazyCoffee neg rep.

LMAO

Bump 02-06-2013 08:32 PM

I know a lady, nicest lady I've ever met, she once got demoralized by a cop over a breathalyzer that she refused to take. She hadn't even drank that night, she just refused to take it because the cop was being an asshole I guess. Then the cop continued to be an asshole and arrested her. From her description, the cop was way out of line.

Little did he know, she was the principal of the high school and she was friends with the Chief of police. That ended badly for the asshole cop.

rageeumr 02-06-2013 08:35 PM

These are the rules I have been given by my friends who have gotten DWI's:

1. The answer to "Have you been drinking" is ALWAYS no.

2. If you think there's a good chance you'll fail, you should refuse the test.

Like Demon said, you want to give your lawyer as much leeway as possible.

But how about we all just call cabs and not worry about it, k?

philfree 02-06-2013 08:54 PM

I've been pulled over once and run through that ringer. Cop said I barely passed and sent me home. I said thank you. Truth is that I just did like five shots at the bar. Cheesy shots like carrot cakes. I had just done them though so they were not being expelled out my lungs just yet. If it would have been 15 minutes later I would have been SOL. It probably had no bearing on things but just before he got to me with the breathalizer I sucked a bunch of air in my mouth. Not my lungs! And then when they got the thing to my lips I blew hard and short from my mouth with the fresh air I'd just sucked in. Like I said it probably didn't help. That's what I did though and I went home.o:-)

That said I don't condone drinking and driving so people please don't drink and drive.

Chieftain58 02-06-2013 08:55 PM

To serve and protect

mlyonsd 02-06-2013 08:58 PM

This same thing happened to my wife once because she was speeding 5mph over the speed limit.

Unfortunately for her the cop smelled alcohol when the window was rolled down. Although it was me that had been drinking and she was driving. She's still pissed off about it 5 years later.

ReynardMuldrake 02-06-2013 09:11 PM

When I was young and stupid I blew through a stop sign on the way home from a bar when there was no one around, got caught. I passed a FST even though I'm pretty sure I was close to the limit. Got a ticket for the stop sign though. Scared the shit out of me.

Brock 02-06-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9383542)
These are the rules I have been given by my friends who have gotten DWI's:

1. The answer to "Have you been drinking" is ALWAYS no.

2. If you think there's a good chance you'll fail, you should refuse the test.

Like Demon said, you want to give your lawyer as much leeway as possible.

But how about we all just call cabs and not worry about it, k?

If you refuse the test in Kansas, you're going to be treated the same as if you were found to be DUI. Suspended license, fines, etc.

I have refused to perform the physical testing simply because I don't feel obligated to jump through hoops for them. Just give me the damn blower and let's get it over with.

fan4ever 02-06-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9383626)
I've been pulled over once and run through that ringer. Cop said I barely passed and sent me home. I said thank you. Truth is that I just did like five shots at the bar. Cheesy shots like carrot cakes. I had just done them though so they were not being expelled out my lungs just yet. If it would have been 15 minutes later I would have been SOL. It probably had no bearing on things but just before he got to me with the breathalizer I sucked a bunch of air in my mouth. Not my lungs! And then when they got the thing to my lips I blew hard and short from my mouth with the fresh air I'd just sucked in. Like I said it probably didn't help. That's what I did though and I went home.o:-)

That said I don't condone drinking and driving so people please don't drink and drive.

I've did that (taken air into my mouth) to see how it'd impact a test at a party (my cousin is safety director for a company and has all the equipment) and it made a big difference...like .04...was pretty amazed. Not saying everyone would get that big of a difference, but if you're borderline...

philfree 02-06-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 9383782)
I've did that (taken air into my mouth) to see how it'd impact a test at a party (my cousin is safety director for a company and has all the equipment) and it made a big difference...like .04...was pretty amazed. Not saying everyone would get that big of a difference, but if you're borderline...

As I drove home I felt blessed more then clever.

CoMoChief 02-06-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 9383348)
So I'm pulling into Lansing KS last Saturday night at about 6pm... my band had a gig at a local bar just east of Leavenworth. I look in the rearview mirror and see the cop cherries- crap.

So, I pull over. Cop asks me like 3 times where I'm from and where I'm going- it seemed pretty obvious he was trying to catch me in a non-truth. Tells me he clocked me at 60 in a 50. OK, not the end of the world- I've had more than a few of those in my time.

Suddenly, he says 'sir, have you had any alcohol tonight? I smell alcohol on your breath.' I say no, then remember that I had had one 12oz. beer with pizza at 2:30. So I tell him as much. Then- 'sir, you'll need to step out of your car'. And then I get the battery of tests- follow the little blue light with my eyes, heel-to-toe 9 steps out and back, lift one foot with arms at the side while counting (by the way- those tests are fairly hard to do even when stone cold sober IMO). Backup arrives. Here comes the breathalyzer. He informs me that I can refuse to take the test, but doing so carries a charge in itself. I know I have nothing to worry about, so I say sure. He then says to wait in my car for the results.

I text the other guitarist to tell him I might be late. Or I might not be able to be there at all. The cop comes back and says 'your BAC is less than .01. KS legal limit is .08. You are obviously well under the limit. But here's your speeding ticket. Have a good evening.'

57 years old and my first field sobriety test. Even though I knew I was going to be OK, it still freaked me out a bit(and sorta ruined my night). I dunno, I've heard from many people that you should never submit to these tests- being a FST virgin, I just didn't know what to do for sure. I knew I wasn't going to test drunk, so I felt pretty safe in taking the test. Maybe that was stupid, I don't know. I'm assuming that some of you CP'ers have experienced this honor as well? What have you done in this situation?

Z

First of all I'd never tell a cop I was drinking.....that will 100% of the time alert them to do more testing....just tell them up front to do the breathlyzer up front before they get into the testing bullshit that are designed to make you fail because they will give you "loaded directions" and they do that shit on purpose. If they know you're willing to do the breathlyzer up front without waisting their time....they're more likely to let you go.

DaveNull 02-06-2013 09:57 PM

Fight the ticket and make the asshole show up in court to testify against you.

And if I get pulled over, I'm not doing anything until my lawyer is on-site where I've been pulled over or at the station. Not answering questions, not doing any field sobriety dance and not using some untested uncalibrated breathalyzer.

ClevelandBronco 02-06-2013 10:03 PM

(All together): Hi, ZepSinger.

This next part isn't necessarily directed to you since you were nowhere near the limit, but...

I don't know about the law where you are, but Coloradans cannot be compelled to perform field sobriety tests. If you think you might be near the limit, it's just nonsensical to do stupid, drunk human tricks for the policeman's camera. The cop is not there to make sure you're sober enough to drive. He's there to make sure that he gathers enough evidence to convict you at trial. Politely decline roadside tests. Always.

sedated 02-06-2013 10:34 PM

Never, ever, EVER tell a cop you've had anything to drink if they pull you over. Instant probable cause. They will immediately pull you out of the car and give you the FST.

Coach 02-06-2013 10:54 PM

Well, just an FYI, whenever you do drive through Lansing, Kansas, the police there are very STRICT when it comes to the speed limit. So if the limit is 40, I'd drive 35.

arrwheader 02-06-2013 11:55 PM

When I was young and dumb I got pulled over after my GF at the time nagging mom insisted that I take her daughter home even though she knew we had been drinking. She didn't live far from where I was at so I did it and what do you know I got pulled over about 2 miles after I dropped her. Cop was a total dick I was 18 and was leaving for basic training in a few months I never Admited to drinking and I had only had 2-3 if I remember correctly but being 18 and scared shitless I did all the test passed them all then at the end the cop said well you seem fine but one more thing and told me about the breathalyzer so I said ok cuz in Kansas your ****ed and lose your license if you do plus I figured I'd might blow under anyways I can't remember what I blew on the thing but the dick called the bat-van out to the scene wich is the mobile blood alch tester. I blew a .08 so basically I was fine except I wasn't 21 and I mentioned the cop being a dick because if he would have just took me DT by the time I got there I probably would have passed the test after processing or if I had just refused the test and then took it Down town I would have been fine. I'm not a fan of thinking you should get away with anything just because of your military back ground but Jesus for an 18yr old kid who passed the field test and was leaving for the army in a few months during a conflict the guy sure did everything in his power to ensure that I was ****ed. It wasn't like I didn't have other options I went to a college prep private school and had grades for college

I ended up getting the option to either do the two days in jail and pay the fine or get on diversion and not be cleared for the army. I picked the jail time.

Yea that's right I went to jail to join the Army haha what a sucker right? Basically this left a bad taste in my mouth about the po po and what was my luck I ended up in a military police unit the entire 6 years I was in. HA

KCrockaholic 02-07-2013 12:23 AM

I've gone through it at a check point the week after I turned 21. Only had 2 beers so I was fine, but it's still a scary process. Especially when you just turned 21.

ghak99 02-07-2013 02:19 AM

I did the side of the road circus act as a teenager with 4 squad cars as an audience. Apparently, they had been looking for me for several hours and weren't happy about a dumb shit teenager out smarting them earlier in the night. Those tests are hard enough, but doing them in the middle of a squad car headlight circle on an inclined on ramp makes you sweat like a whore in church.

I answered "How much have you had to drink tonight" with "Absolutely nothing", which was the ****ing truth, and it went down hill from there. They found shit in that 4 door truck cab and tool box I didn't even know I still had and scared the living shit out of the girlfriend I had with me. One of the poor bastards even sorted through what must have been 200 empty pop cans, beer cans, and beer bottles in the back trying to earn me a minor in possession. It took over an hour before I got the "Have a nice morning & drive safe" from the only one of the bunch that was respectful.

I don't believe I broke a single law that night and could have saved myself a lot of harassment if I had even had a basic understanding of how to handle the situation.

HMc 02-07-2013 03:53 AM

the tests are stupid. Around these parts if you get pulled over for anything, you blow into the breathylizer. That's it. If you're under 0.05 you're good to go and If you aren't, you have a problem.

bevischief 02-07-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 9384044)
Well, just an FYI, whenever you do drive through Lansing, Kansas, the police there are very STRICT when it comes to the speed limit. So if the limit is 40, I'd drive 35.

I grew up there the police and city like to f*** with all the non locals and give them tickets. This has been going on for about 40 years. Besides that they have to find a way to fund all the police cars the police keep wrecking.

seclark 02-07-2013 09:04 AM

only once...1979. pulled over because a guy riding w/me was drunk, hanging out the window hollering at some girls. did all the tests and failed. cops cuffed me and took me to the station to blow. i'd only been off work for about 20 minutes and hadn't drank anything. they let me go. i was just a kid, so i was more scared than pissed.

the kicker was, while they hauled my ass to the station, the dumbasses let the drunk kid follow, driving my car.:rolleyes:
sec

Rausch 02-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9383731)
If you refuse the test in Kansas, you're going to be treated the same as if you were found to be DUI. Suspended license, fines, etc.

Same in Mo. If you deny the test (even stone sober) you lose your license for a year.

Only here they can get a quick warrant over the radio/computer in the car and force you to have a blood draw. Those are less fun.

They'll find your "true" BAC (more reliable than the breath test) and then you'll have that suspension added to the year.

Here, it's not worth it do decline unless you think the 1/2 hour to an hour it takes to draw blood will help you...

Dayze 02-07-2013 09:16 AM

I watched an interesting vid on youtube a long time ago where basically there was a group of people filing suit against a police department, claiming the FST (touch your nose, say the alphabet backwards etc) is bullshit since there is no baseline to compare against. And these were all people without DWIs.

then theywent on about the legality of breathalyzers/refusal to blow into them.

I didn't necessarily agree with all their points, but they were very intresting to listen to; they made a very compelling case.

Dayze 02-07-2013 09:18 AM

This Saturday night a few of us are going to a small bar to watch a random band. I'm the DD. So I won't have to worry about it on Saturday woo hoo.

(sticking with the 90 Day Sobriety Challenge))

Graystoke 02-07-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384415)
I watched an interesting vid on youtube a long time ago where basically there was a group of people filing suit against a police department, claiming the FST (touch your nose, say the alphabet backwards etc) is bullshit since there is no baseline to compare against. And these were all people without DWIs.

then theywent on about the legality of breathalyzers/refusal to blow into them.

I didn't necessarily agree with all their points, but they were very intresting to listen to; they made a very compelling case.

I can't do the Alphabet backwards when I am straight let alone drunk.

JohninGpt 02-07-2013 09:59 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yDzcYerwE4s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze 02-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 9384486)
I can't do the Alphabet backwards when I am straight let alone drunk.

shit, me either.
lol

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-07-2013 11:04 AM

I just tell them "LOOK ! I JACK OFF PIGS DO YOU REALLY WANT TO MESS WITH ME !"

Usually they run back to ther squad car and drive away as fast as possible. Although this one got a big smile and asked me to the show to watch brokeback mountain with him.

Rausch 02-07-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9384670)
I just tell them "LOOK ! I JACK OFF PIGS DO YOU REALLY WANT TO MESS WITH ME !"

Usually they run back to ther squad car and drive away as fast as possible. Although this one got a big smile and asked me to the show to watch brokeback mountain with him.

So what you're saying is you never get a ticket...

Dayze 02-07-2013 11:15 AM

I do think, however, .08 is reeruned.

basically 1 beer and you're 'drunk'.

whatever.

Nzoner 02-07-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384699)

whatever.

While in no way would I ever condone drinking and driving I do think it's ridiculous that someone who has been drinking for years is judged the same as an amateur.

Rausch 02-07-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9384771)
While in no way would I ever condone drinking and driving I do think it's ridiculous that someone who has been drinking for years is judged the same as an amateur.

$$$

Dayze 02-07-2013 11:42 AM

not to get off topic, but I need to look at the legality of DUI check points.
just from an interesting read/topic perspective.

ptlyon 02-07-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384808)
not to get off topic, but I need to look at the legality of DUI check points.
just from an interesting read/topic perspective.

Don't waste youre time

Dayze 02-07-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9384815)
Don't waste youre time

already been beaten by a dead horse apparently?

Skyy God 02-07-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9384003)
Never, ever, EVER tell a cop you've had anything to drink if they pull you over. Instant probable cause. They will immediately pull you out of the car and give you the FST.

Yeah, that's not true. The PC is the alcohol (legit or otherwise) they smell on your breath. And obvious lying isn't going to ingratiate you with the cop.

If you're tanked, just hand them a card stating you're exercising your 5th Amendment rights and roll the window back up. If you're convinced you're sober, just ask for the breath test, as others recommended.

The tough call is when you're in between.

Skyy God 02-07-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9384771)

I was in muni court recently and the judge slapped a 1st time DUI with a 2 year ignition lock. Way harsh.

Skyy God 02-07-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9384407)
Same in Mo. If you deny the test (even stone sober) you lose your license for a year.

Only here they can get a quick warrant over the radio/computer in the car and force you to have a blood draw. Those are less fun.

They'll find your "true" BAC (more reliable than the breath test) and then you'll have that suspension added to the year.

Here, it's not worth it do decline unless you think the 1/2 hour to an hour it takes to draw blood will help you...

Not all jurisdictions get a warrant. There's a case up at the Supreme Court on the issue.

ptlyon 02-07-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384843)
already been beaten by a dead horse apparently?

That, and it will just piss you off

Rausch 02-07-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9384845)
Yeah, that's not true. The PC is the alcohol (legit or otherwise) they smell on your breath. And obvious lying isn't going to ingratiate you with the cop.

If you're tanked, just hand them a card stating you're exercising your 5th Amendment rights and roll the window back up. If you're convinced you're sober, just ask for the breath test, as others recommended.

The tough call is when you're in between.

1) If you are drunk you WILL smell like booze. Open the sun roof/moon roof (why is there a difference?) and keep the windows only cracked enough to pass your information.

2) Keep the vents on to blow clean air in.

3) Avoid getting pulled over. Most of the FST's or DRE training the cops get only requires you to speak or perform (or not perform) the most basic of functions.

4) DO NOT take the most direct route home. The shorter the distance you give someone to evaluate your performance the smaller the sample size. Make turns. Often. Stop often. Turn again.

If you're drunk and on the highway someone will spot you. It's inevitable.

5)Any time it's even a question a cab call is always less expensive than a fine...

Mr. Flopnuts 02-07-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384699)

whatever.

That's not necessarily true. I drank 6 in 90 minutes and blew a .041. My fatness saved my ass that night. Buddy was way less "drunk" than I but also lighter and blew a .079. The cop had me drive. ROFL

Dayze 02-07-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9384871)
That's not necessarily true. I drank 6 in 90 minutes and blew a .041. My fatness saved my ass that night. Buddy was way less "drunk" than I but also lighter and blew a .079. The cop had me drive. ROFL

lol. wow.
wonder how many it would take for my fatass to go over.

my BIL is a state troooper; maybe I could borrow his breatalyzer and see how long it takes lol

Dayze 02-07-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9384858)
That, and it will just piss you off

Reeaaaally. :hmmm:

Mr. Flopnuts 02-07-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384890)
lol. wow.

my BIL is a state troooper; maybe I could borrow his breatalyzer and see how long it takes lol

That's pretty much how it went down. He offered it as a civilian courtesy. Promised he wouldn't entrap us as it was against the law, just wanted us to know where we stood. Pretty cool of him really. I'd never done one before, and haven't done one since.

Dayze 02-07-2013 12:12 PM

another dead-horse;
installing sanctioned/calibrated machines at bars and or the like.

never happen, but I always thought it was interesting.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-07-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384908)
another dead-horse;
installing sanctioned/calibrated machines at bars and or the like.

never happen, but I always thought it was interesting.

I don't know if they're sanctioned or calibrated, but they have them in bars down here in Hillbilly Hollywood.

Rausch 02-07-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384890)
lol. wow.

My cousins got to get drunk for free and get tested on highway patrol simulators for the last 3 years.

I've been begging to get in on that. They'd learn more from me than them anyway...

Dayze 02-07-2013 12:17 PM

on a side note; he mentioned that it's a frequent 'professional courtesy' for officers to let their fellow LEOs go if they're sslightly above .08 etc.
not shitfaced, but enough to wear the average Joe would get the hammer.

Rausch 02-07-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384925)
on a side note; he mentioned that it's a frequent 'professional courtesy' for officers to let their fellow LEOs go if they're sslightly above .08 etc.

That doesn't work for CO's.

A shame, you'd think there'd be some brotherhood but...no.

teedubya 02-07-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9383396)

That sucks, man. But, count your blessings.

ThaVirus 02-07-2013 12:24 PM

I've driven home some nights and woke up the next morning with only a spotty memory of the ride home, yet go outside to see my car perfectly backed into the parking space. ****ing weird.

I've really scaled back my drinking and driving now that I'm a bit older and have seen more than a few friends get slapped with DUIs, but now I wonder how much I would have blown on some of those nights.

Nzoner 02-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384925)

The father of my best friend in high school was a HP and there were a few instances when he was pulled over by other HP's and was let off with a warning because he was a brother's kid.

bevischief 02-07-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9384870)
1) If you are drunk you WILL smell like booze. Open the sun roof/moon roof (why is there a difference?) and keep the windows only cracked enough to pass your information.

2) Keep the vents on to blow clean air in.

3) Avoid getting pulled over. Most of the FST's or DRE training the cops get only requires you to speak or perform (or not perform) the most basic of functions.

4) DO NOT take the most direct route home. The shorter the distance you give someone to evaluate your performance the smaller the sample size. Make turns. Often. Stop often. Turn again.

If you're drunk and on the highway someone will spot you. It's inevitable.

5)Any time it's even a question a cab call is always less expensive than a fine...

There is are services up here for $20 they drive you and car home. They have their cards in every bar up here.

Dayze 02-07-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9384956)
I've driven home some nights and woke up the next morning with only a spotty memory of the ride home, yet go outside to see my car perfectly backed into the parking space. ****ing weird.

I've really scaled back my drinking and driving now that I'm a bit older and have seen more than a few friends get slapped with DUIs, but now I wonder how much I would have blown on some of those nights.

NTTAWWT

Nzoner 02-07-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9384963)
NTTAWWT

:D

bevischief 02-07-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9384915)
My cousins got to get drunk for free and get tested on highway patrol simulators for the last 3 years.

I've been begging to get in on that. They'd learn more from me than them anyway...

North Dakota State last year was offering $20 an for about 4 hours for a study they were doing.

Rausch 02-07-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9384961)
There is are services up here for $20 they drive you and car home. They have their cards in every bar up here.

Good idea.

Might take a year or 20 to catch on in the cowtowns of MidMo...

blaise 02-07-2013 12:31 PM

I had to take one once. I didn't use my blinker and he pulled me over. So he had me walk in a straight line. I didn't do anything wrong as far as I could tell, but he had me do the breathalyzer anyway, then he let me go. I think he was just being a dick; it was a small town and he knew who I was. He ended up getting fired a few years later because he was using an ATV that the police had somehow recovered as his own ATV.
We used to call him Barney Fife.

Nzoner 02-07-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9384979)
We used to call him Barney Fife.

One of my favorite scenes from the movie Clay Pigeons

Sheriff:"Barney don't poke the body with a stick."

FBI agent:"You have a deputy named Barney?"

burt 02-07-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 9383348)

Suddenly, he says 'sir, have you had any alcohol tonight? I smell alcohol on your breath.' I say no, then remember that I had had one 12oz. beer with pizza at 2:30. So I tell him as much. Then- 'sir, you'll need to step out of your car'. And then I get the battery of tests- follow the little blue light with my eyes, heel-to-toe 9 steps out and back, lift one foot with arms at the side while counting (by the way- those tests are fairly hard to do even when stone cold sober IMO). Backup arrives. Here comes the breathalyzer. He informs me that I can refuse to take the test, but doing so carries a charge in itself. I know I have nothing to worry about, so I say sure. He then says to wait in my car for the results.I text the other guitarist to tell him I might be late. Or I might not be able to be there at all. The cop comes back and says 'your BAC is less than .01. KS legal limit is .08. You are obviously well under the limit. But here's your speeding ticket. Have a good evening.'

Z

Same! Differences, Leawood I am 52, second ever(failed first one at 33ish, but got a break)..12:20a.m....51 in a 35...freezing cold, no coat! Field sobriety tests are all but unpossible when you are shivering in the cold! I didn't, however ask my level...just took my ticket and drove to my WARM home!

Dunit35 02-07-2013 03:47 PM

Don't know if its been said but only refuse the test if you know you are two times the legal limit..16 becomes aggregated in Oklahoma.

BlackHelicopters 02-07-2013 07:12 PM

Way to go dude.