ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Say Goodbye to Twinkies and Wonderbread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266679)

Buehler445 11-16-2012 08:28 AM

There's already a thread in the DC. Put all the crap in there.

loochy 11-16-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9122720)
I'm pretty confident those well known products and product names will be bought out of bankruptcy by another bakery company and marketed and sold by them. Doubt you've seen your last Twinkie.

This. The name and tradition is too valuable...I think.

However, I can't remember the last time I had a Twinkie or any Hostess snack though...and they don't sell Wonder bread here.

petegz28 11-16-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9122726)
Well this is headed straight to DC. And I think the unions had little to do with this. Peoples eating habits have gotten better and spelled doom for Hostess. The lack of wage concessions was a bandaid at best.

Like TJ Cinnamons another bad to eat product has gone by the wayside.

In 'merica? The most obese nation in the world???

Mr. Flopnuts 11-16-2012 08:29 AM

JFC. They didn't strike for MORE money. They were asked to take dramatic cuts because the company couldn't survive on it's current models. Like it or don't, try not to let your poolitical biases get in the way of facts. The election's over kids...

DaFace 11-16-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9122698)
Shutting down the Emporia plant. The Emporia gazette said there were 400 people working there. Pretty tough for the town. In the last decade or so the town of 30,000 ish has lost Modine, IBP and Dolly Madison.

I think they picked up another dog food plant, but that town has to be hurting.

I wondered about that as soon as I read the title. That's too bad. That's a lot of industry shut down in E-town in only a few years.

BigMeatballDave 11-16-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9122726)
Well this is headed straight to DC. And I think the unions had little to do with this. Peoples eating habits have gotten better and spelled doom for Hostess. The lack of wage concessions was a bandaid at best.

Like TJ Cinnamons another bad to eat product has gone by the wayside.

Tj Cinnamon? Who?

Buehler445 11-16-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9122731)
This. The name and tradition is too valuable...I think.

I can't remember the last time I had a Twinkie or any Hostess snack though...and they don't sell Wonder bread here.

Won't matter for our economy if it is a European company that buys the name and makes them in China.

petegz28 11-16-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9122733)
JFC. They didn't strike for MORE money. They were asked to take dramatic cuts because the company couldn't survive on it's current models. Like it or don't, try not to let your poolitical biases get in the way of facts. The election's over kids...

You know, there was a time at Sprint that everyone was willing to take paycuts to keep their job. Priorities I guess.

Hoover 11-16-2012 08:33 AM

Twinkies are not a political issue.

DaFace 11-16-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Though true, it doesn't change the fact that they had a choice between taking the paycuts and losing their jobs. I guess I don't understand the situation well enough to know why losing your job would be the preferable option these days.

BigMeatballDave 11-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Well, sometimes you have to ask yourself as an eemployee, do I take a pay cut or lose my job?

Unions have worn out their usefulness.

Graystoke 11-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9122745)
Twinkies are not a political issue.

^This^

We have a Hostess Plant here in Waterloo. I will miss the smell of baking bread in the morning.

loochy 11-16-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

I'd rather have 8% less of something than nothing at all. If they were so unhappy, just take the pay cut and earn SOMETHING while you search for employment elsewhere.

The principle is still the same.

Predarat 11-16-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9122718)
Michelle hated twinkies and cupcakes anyway!

Exactly!

Fat Elvis 11-16-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 9122694)
Awesome. What better way to pay back unions. You don't have a job, now go **** yourself.

Hooray for private equity firms who bought the company, loaded it up with debt and told the workers that they weren't going to honor their contract.

What kind of cuts were the workers talking about?

Quote:

"But if I have to take the cuts they're talking about I can get more from unemployment."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hostess-brands

So let me get this straight...a private equity firm comes in and tells workers that if they want to keep working they have to make less money than they would get if they didn't work at all? And now somehow the people in a union saying, "screw that" are the bad guys?

Awesome. What better way to pay back Republican Zomnies. Your tax dollars are paying for their unemployment because you can't do math, now go **** yourself.