ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Stone Temple Pilots fire lead singer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270463)

Lzen 02-27-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 9447411)
Saw STP live a couple years ago when they reunited, and they were surprisingly good. I'd heard stories of how they sucked lived, but they killed that night. Tons of energy, and played all their best stuff to perfection.

AIC last album lacked in two areas for me, inspired song writting (some of the lyrics and melodies were painfully bad), and their signature rhythms. As bass player I admire Mike Inez, but he and the drummer mailed in their performances. Instead of their simple groove with a hint of tribal-esque. beats they played straight boring rhythms. It just wasn't AIC for me.

After hearing Check My Brain on the radio I, too, bought the album when it came out. I guess I was expecting a new, edgy AIC album. It just seemed to be lacking something. I hardly ever listen to it any more.

DaneMcCloud 02-27-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9448400)
After hearing Check My Brain on the radio I, too, bought the album when it came out. I guess I was expecting a new, edgy AIC album. It just seemed to be lacking something. I hardly ever listen to it any more.

Too much Beat Detective, which overly quantized the drums, too many layered amps (Friedman Marsha, Bogner Ecstasy and an old " First 500" Rectifier), lame, undistinguished bass tone and too much Eventide Harmonizer on the vocals, especially Duvall's tracks.

It was just lame. And the next album is just more of the same.

Oh, and the songs were well below average.

Al Bundy 02-27-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9445831)
Are there any bands left from that era that are together still and making hit songs?

Seems like the flameout rate is large for alot of those early to mid 90s bands..

Nahhh most of them have had an OD problem.

penguinz 02-27-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9446661)
RHCP have been pretty consistent..

RHCP last good album was Mothers Milk.

DaneMcCloud 02-27-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

RHCP have been pretty consistent.

LMAO

Consistent with what, exactly? Guys dying from heroin overdoses? Changing drummers every other year? Changing guitarists every album?

LMAO

Quote:

U2 has become annoying, but they are pretty huge every time they put out a CD.

U2 released their first album in 1980. Their heyday was during the 80's, not the 90's.

Too fat.

Rausch 02-27-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Pearl Jam is reportedly halfway done recording their next CD. Counting Crows just put out a CD of mostly covers about a year ago. U2 has become annoying, but they are pretty huge every time they put out a CD. RHCP have been pretty consistent. Ben ****ing Folds is still putting out great music.

Over the long haul I'd say Perl Jam and Nirvana/Foo Fighters were the best of the 90's...

#1 Bronco's Fan 02-27-2013 10:39 PM

Weiland is a great singer.

Brock 02-28-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9449209)

:facepalm:

pkane 02-28-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9449267)
LMAO

Consistent with what, exactly? Guys dying from heroin overdoses? Changing drummers every other year? Changing guitarists every album?

I thought Chad Smith has been their drummer since the late '80s. Now it does seem that they have a new guitarists every album.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-28-2013 02:49 PM

I grew up in the middle of the Mecca of grunge music. Figures too. Seattle has the highest suicide rate. ROFL

That said, it was ****ing awesome. But it's long gone, and did it's best to kill mainstream rock.

Demonpenz 02-28-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkane (Post 9451608)
I thought Chad Smith has been their drummer since the late '80s. Now it does seem that they have a new guitarists every album.

will ferril stepped behind the kit for awhile

lewdog 02-28-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9449209)

Um Californication with Kiedis writing amazing lyrics while getting loaded on heroin during the creative process was pretty damn good IMO. I think you are in the minority there.

And Pearl Jam still ****ing rocks so blow me.

penguinz 03-01-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9450467)
:facepalm:

Can you provide a good argument against?

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2013 08:25 PM

If you guys are into AIC, check out Kill Devil Hill. Rex Brown from Pantera, Vinnie Appice from Sabbath and Dio, Dewey from Pissing Razors and Mark Zavon (badass mother****ing guitarist from Nebraska).

It's cool. The next record is even better. Check it.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9454783)
Can you provide a good argument against?

How about the mere fact that Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic sold about 7 million records? The subsequent records sold even more.

Is that a good enough argument?