ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chris Weinke (IMG Academy) Talks with Danny Parkins about upcoming QB class. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269436)

Deberg_1990 01-29-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9361726)
No every qb drafted needs to be as good as luck and rg3

Even Bledsoe, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins turned their franchises around. and none of those guys are or were all world talents.

If you have the chance to select one of the top QBs in a draft, you dont pass period.

keg in kc 01-29-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9361753)
Didn't DJ say he loves Geno as a prospect? You cant criticize anything about Geno without his cult going after you.

Nobody has issues with valid concerns like his inconsistent footwork. But "zip on his passes"? Come on now.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Didn't DJ say he loves Geno as a prospect? You cant criticize anything about Geno without his cult going after you.

Just simply not true.

Been conversation ALL morning about his lower body and footwork.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9361690)
Really? Are you difficult to impress?

Lot's O' Pictures

Those gifs perfectly illustrate my point.

The first two are throws where he does get good leg drive. The third one he doesn't and the ball does have a little more sail to it. The 4th is a good one, the 5th isn't but it's such a short pass that he can keep it downhill the whole way.

I could go on, but ultimately your pictures make my point - Geno absolutely has a strong arm, but he's inconsistent with his leg drive and it often serves to sap him of that authority in his throws.

If he can get that ironed out, he's going to have a top 10 arm (folks, a top 10 arm is a goddamn cannon). But as the pressure gets worse and the games get faster, bad habits are going to become more exacerbated and probably more frequent. If he rolls his hips often at this level, he's going to have passes knocked away or WRs that have space close up on them to either get hit or lose the chance for YAC yards.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9361716)
wow ... says the guy who busts on other people's opinions every ****ing day.

I post dozens of my own thoughts each and every day.

You should try it, people might like you more.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9361668)
Would we all be fine with a less douchy, more mobile Philip Rivers at #1 overall?

Seeing as how the original completely douchy, less mobile Philip Rivers went at #3, I would be fine with it.

If Geno never can get his feet firmed up, Rivers is his ceiling. If that's what he ends up, would everyone presently on the Geno train consider it a good pick?

Absolutely emphatically YES.

My ONLY problem with Rivers is that he's a first class douchebag.

If you could get him, minus the tude, you do it in a heartbeat.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9362032)

The first two are throws where he does get good leg drive. The third one he doesn't and the ball does have a little more sail to it. The 4th is a good one, the 5th isn't but it's such a short pass that he can keep it downhill the whole way.

I could go on, but ultimately your pictures make my point - Geno absolutely has a strong arm, but he's inconsistent with his leg drive and it often serves to sap him of that authority in his throws.

If he can get that ironed out, he's going to have a top 10 arm (folks, a top 10 arm is a goddamn cannon). But as the pressure gets worse and the games get faster, bad habits are going to become more exacerbated and probably more frequent. If he rolls his hips often at this level, he's going to have passes knocked away or WRs that have space close up on them to either get hit or lose the chance for YAC yards.

The good news is that we have 2 or 3 guys here on this staff that know how to coach that stuff now.

When you look at his flaws, they're coachable. We've got one of the most QB-friendly coaching staffs in football.

Time to do the deed.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9361714)
Yea it's getting ridiculous. Some people just don't like Geno and will say anything to convince others to dislike him as well.

Geno has some flaws but zip on his passes isn't one of them.

Some people don't read very much.

Again, SNR and I were the first people on the Geno bandwagon. I guarantee you that I've been watching this kid for longer than you have.

When he doesn't set his feet and drive his legs, his ball gets a hump on intermediate passes. Those will not work at this level and those are passes he's going to need to be able to complete with regularity in Reid's system.

You've picked the wrong guy to try to say "doesn't like Geno". I love the kid, in fact I think his weakness here is actually a good thing in that it's easily coached and will make him even better than his tape shows.

But I'm not going to just make shit up to support my guy and say he has a top 10 NFL arm even when he doesn't use his legs appropriately. The same as I wasn't going to say that Alex Smith is a pile of moldy dog shit just to prop up support for Geno.

Watch these guys for what they are and examine them accordingly. You might learn something.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

It's only my !@#$ing signature...

People are idiots.

Sorter 01-29-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9362032)

Yup.

Flacco, Stafford, Cutler, Kaep, RG3, Rodgers, Newton, Vick, and Freeman are the QBs I'd put as having elite, pure arm-strength. Guys that can just rip the ****ing ball.

Geno can't do that and I'm not sure if he ever really can. Those guys are just ****ing freaks. I'd liken Geno's future arm strength with corrected footwork and leg drive to be something like Tom Brady's, which is an above average arm but consistently displays elite velocity and vertical/horizontal arm strength due mainly to technique and a solid weight program.

Sorter 01-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9362050)
It's only my !@#$ing signature...

People are idiots.

People are idiots here?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...ox8vo1_250.gif

LMAO

philfree 01-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9361683)
I've seen Geno throw a 40 yard laser without being able to step into the throw due to the pressure.

I don't think there are more than 10 current NFL quarterbacks that can do that.

I'd like to see a gif of that. The one thing I don't see Geno do when I watch him is drop back and throw the ball on a line 20+ yards past the LOS.

MeatRock 01-29-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9362049)
Some people don't read very much.

Again, SNR and I were the first people on the Geno bandwagon. I guarantee you that I've been watching this kid for longer than you have.

When he doesn't set his feet and drive his legs, his ball gets a hump on intermediate passes. Those will not work at this level and those are passes he's going to need to be able to complete with regularity in Reid's system.

You've picked the wrong guy to try to say "doesn't like Geno". I love the kid, in fact I think his weakness here is actually a good thing in that it's easily coached and will make him even better than his tape shows.

But I'm not going to just make shit up to support my guy and say he has a top 10 NFL arm even when he doesn't use his legs appropriately. The same as I wasn't going to say that Alex Smith is a pile of moldy dog shit just to prop up support for Geno.

Watch these guys for what they are and examine them accordingly. You might learn something.

Nice write up DJ, but i was responding to CoMo's post about no zip on Geno's passes which i think is bullshit.
Sure, i agree when he doesn't set his feet the ball flutters a bit, but when he does, the zip is there.

tooge 01-29-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9361726)
No every qb drafted needs to be as good as luck and rg3

This!!!!! If last year didn't have those two, there wouldn't be any discussion about who the Chiefs would be picking this year.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9362066)
I'd like to see a gif of that. The one thing I don't see Geno do when I watch him is drop back and throw the ball on a line 20+ yards past the LOS.

You need to watch more because he has absolutely done that.

The problem is that more often than not, he doesn't get his feet right, so it comes out different.

When he gets his feet right, he can throw it on a rope.