ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

Pants 12-06-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7231859)
No. The Actor signed a deal to show up in Season 2 a few weeks back.

OH SNAP

Buck 12-06-2010 11:48 AM

To anyone who has watched the show but not read the comics, I suggest you do so.

The comics are better than the show was this year. Hopefully the TV show can step it up next year.

ModSocks 12-06-2010 12:37 PM

The show has been kind of disappointing actually. I wasn't even excited for last night's finale. The first two episodes were good and then it got very.."meh".

I was hoping for more action.

blaise 12-06-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7232067)
The show has been kind of disappointing actually. I wasn't even excited for last night's finale. The first two episodes were good and then it got very.."meh".

I was hoping for more action.

I don't know if they thought anyone would watch it. I got the impression they had a budget to work with that limited some of what they could do.
I can't think of any other reason to basically leave the zombies out of it for huge chunks of time. I know they have to move the plot along, but I want to see zombies get blasted.

keg in kc 12-06-2010 12:57 PM

I've loved it. I'll take drama over exploding heads any day of the week. Getting to know those characters is what makes/will make losing them so poignant. And having more drama than action makes the action stand out even more when it does happen, like the night attack on the camp.

ModSocks 12-06-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7232118)
I've loved it. I'll take drama over exploding heads any day of the week. Getting to know those characters is what makes/will make losing them so poignant. And having more drama than action makes the action stand out even more when it does happen, like the night attack on the camp.

I'm all for building charectors and plot, but i feel like it moves TOO slow. I knew nothing about the series and maybe i just got swooped up in the hype, but it's been a disappointing ride considering all of the great things that were being said.

Zebedee DuBois 12-06-2010 06:35 PM

They haven't really developed any of the characters - they're all still caricatures IMO.
I'm really not feeling compelled to keep watching.
That explosion was poorly handled. It looks huge, but their cars parked on the street don't appear affected in the least, nothing falling from the sky as they pull away.

sparse zombies, shallow characters, cheezy effects. why bother having a 2nd season? (and I thought the pilot episode was pretty good)

bevischief 12-06-2010 06:43 PM

That is why they fired most of the writers...

irishjayhawk 12-06-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 7233305)
They haven't really developed any of the characters - they're all still caricatures IMO.
I'm really not feeling compelled to keep watching.
That explosion was poorly handled. It looks huge, but their cars parked on the street don't appear affected in the least, nothing falling from the sky as they pull away.

sparse zombies, shallow characters, cheezy effects. why bother having a 2nd season? (and I thought the pilot episode was pretty good)

To be fair, there's been a whopping 6 episodes. And you have to set the world first.

bevischief 12-06-2010 08:01 PM

Maybe we can hope for a few 2 hr movies...

siberian khatru 12-06-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btlook1 (Post 7231824)
I'm betting he told him that his wife was preggo and that it wasn't his...he did take blood from all of them at the start.

You, sir, are awesome.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2010 10:18 PM

That was a pretty cool ending. I like how they tried to explain the zombie plague some.

Ive really enjoyed this show. Yes its been slow at times, but its a nice buildup between action scenes.

Its been very much a Darabont production. Hes always favored good writing, acting and character above everything else.

If it were just 6 hours of shooting zombies, it would get tired very fast.

verbaljitsu 12-06-2010 10:45 PM

I just wish that they would have grabbed some of the M4's laying around all over the place. Or maybe that .50 cal machine gun. Screw the shotgun...maybe you should get the lighter, handier carbine that holds 30 rounds, triples your maximum effective range, (potentially) has optics, etc.

Overall I think the series has been great so far. It is going to be a long wait for the next episode.

aturnis 12-06-2010 10:49 PM

I haven't watched the finale yet(DVR'd it), but I agree. The first two episodes were killer, since then though, it's been pretty disappointing. Not for lack of boom boom either, that's not my kind of thing. The character development SUCKS! Oh that chicks sister died...I don't care. They're trying to show the humanity that remains and how we fight to keep it, and yada yada. It's just blah when there is no substance to begin with.

Where was the development in their relationship? "My sister loves fairy's or some shit, I would like to give her this necklace, but there is nobody to pay...what should I do?!" Then a conversation in a boat about them fishing with their dad...whoopee.

Maybe they should do flashbacks, like Lost did(I think, didn't watch it, but thought they did), to add depth to the characters and their loved ones...

cookster50 12-07-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7231949)
To anyone who has watched the show but not read the comics, I suggest you do so.

The comics are better than the show was this year. Hopefully the TV show can step it up next year.

I'd rather be surprised by the storyline(even though I know all books/etc that get turned into tv shows don't necessarily follow the book/etc) and read the comics after the series ends.

Deberg_1990 12-07-2010 08:44 AM

So when did the scene occur that opened the series? The one with Rick at a gas station shooting a little zombie girl.

siberian khatru 12-07-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7235305)
So when did the scene occur that opened the series? The one with Rick at a gas station shooting a little zombie girl.

Heh. It's probably the last scene in the series. It was a flash-forward.

Picking up on btlook1's theory, it was Rick's wife's illegitimate (not-yet-born-in-the-series) daughter. :p

thecoffeeguy 12-07-2010 10:01 AM

Anyone else find the blonde hot? She is fapable material. :)

keg in kc 12-07-2010 10:18 AM

Finale was the most watched ep of the season, sort of ending on a high note viewer wise for what was already the most-watched drama in basic cable history. More than 6 million viewers for the first showing and more than 8 million for the night.

Unfortunately I think the Walking Dead will suffer for the same reason Battlestar Galactica did: extended time between seasons utterly destroyed the ratings for BSG.

siberian khatru 12-07-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7235522)
Finale was the most watched ep of the season, sort of ending on a high note viewer wise for what was already the most-watched drama in basic cable history. More than 6 million viewers for the first showing and more than 8 million for the night.

Unfortunately I think the Walking Dead will suffer for the same reason Battlestar Galactica did: extended time between seasons utterly destroyed the ratings for BSG.

Yeah, I was mentioning that to my son last night (he watched TWD with me). Didn't BSG go on something like an 18-month hiatus at one point?

I loved that show and stayed with it the whole time, never missed an ep. But those gaps were hard to take for even a die-hard fan like me.

keg in kc 12-07-2010 10:23 AM

I don't remember if there was ever a break quite that long, but I know they went around or over a year between seasons at least twice. Although it may well have been 18 months between the miniseries and season 1.

In retrospect, though, the best way to watch that series is over the course of a week or three on DVD or bluray.

keg in kc 12-07-2010 10:29 AM

BSG airdates

Miniseries: December 2003
Season 1 premiere: January 14, 2005
Season 2 premiere: October 6, 2006
Season 3 premiere: January 21, 2007
Season 4 premiere: April 4, 2008
Series finale: Friday, March 20, 2009

Actually, now that I look at season 4s premeire and conclusion, I remember that that was the problem with the way they aired BSG: they broke a couple of the seasons into halves and had huge breaks between the first half of the season and the second half.

SciFi has really done some bizarre things with their shows. They killed Farscape and they killed BSG, but they've kept the Stargate franchise rolling for whatever reason (which I don't mind, I watch those too...).

You'd have to think AMC will be smarter about it.

Bowser 12-07-2010 12:46 PM

GIVE ME MY STAGGER ON ROLE

bevischief 12-07-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

On his way to Atlanta.

Buck 12-07-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Actually that never happened. But if it did, it would have been in issue 2.

jiveturkey 12-07-2010 09:56 PM

I'll be playing this game to pass the time between now and next Oct.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4hNrrbhTXE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4hNrrbhTXE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Chiefnj2 12-07-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy (Post 7235465)
Anyone else find the blonde hot? She is fapable material. :)

She's the FBI agent from the final season of The Shield.

Sure-Oz 12-07-2010 10:20 PM

I hate that i have to wait till next october

kaplin42 12-07-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 7238017)
I hate that i have to wait till next october

Honestly, the whole LOST type of show viewing is horrible. 3 episode in a row, then wait 6 months for another 4.

My hope is that they didn't know if this was gonna work or not, so they just gave them 6 episodes. But since it made them mad money, they are gonna do another season. What i like though is the limited comercial breaks. I mean you watch a hour drama on the national networks, and it's literally 4 minutes of show, 4 minutes of comercials. It's horrible.

Buck 12-08-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 7237992)
She's the FBI agent from the final season of The Shield.

I didnt even realize that. I recognzied her from The Mist.

Deberg_1990 12-08-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7238246)
I didnt even realize that. I recognzied her from The Mist.

She was also in The Majestic. Shes a Darabont "regular"

Deberg_1990 12-08-2010 08:14 AM

Oh yea, another interesting thing they brought up was how the scientist said that some people zombify after 2 minutes...some take up to 9 hours.....hopefully they expand on the science part as it goes along....

siberian khatru 12-08-2010 08:24 AM

Here's another thing my son and I were discussing: Why call them "walkers" and not zombies?

Why make up a name for something everyone already knows about? I mean, I assume this doesn't take place in an alternate reality where the concept of zombies has never arisen ... there's never been any zombie movies or whatnot.

If this shit went down today, we'd all be running around screaming "ZOMBIES! ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!", no? Maybe we'd shorten it to Z's or Zeds or something. But why invent a descriptor?

Otter 12-08-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 7238464)
Here's another thing my son and I were discussing: Why call them "walkers" and not zombies?

Why make up a name for something everyone already knows about? I mean, I assume this doesn't take place in an alternate reality where the concept of zombies has never arisen ... there's never been any zombie movies or whatnot.

If this shit went down today, we'd all be running around screaming "ZOMBIES! ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!", no? Maybe we'd shorten it to Z's or Zeds or something. But why invent a descriptor?

I'd be willing to bet a testicle (yours not mine) that "walkers" has something to do with one of the directors or financial backers trying to distance themselves a little bit from the classic George Romero "zombie" genre for reason of artistic singularity.

Frosty 12-08-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Q: Why don't your characters call the walkers "zombies"? -- Erica Badu

A: The main reason is because "zombie" is a term that we are accustomed to hearing, and when the characters run around saying "zombie" it takes you out of the story. This is supposed to take place in a world where no one has ever heard of a zombie before. So we just don't use that word. Everyone they encounter will have different names for zombies. Some people are calling them "geeks" in the show. I think we will eventually find a group of people that call them "roamers" and "lurkers" and "biters" like in the comic.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...-interview.php

siberian khatru 12-08-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 7238523)

Interesting. Thanks.

kaplin42 12-08-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Although the above information is good for the show, that's not the reason really.

In the graphic novel, they are all zombies. But there are some that are walking / roaming around, and some that just lay there until you get close to them. The ones that are walking around are called "Walkers" or "Roamers".

siberian khatru 12-08-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7239183)
Although the above information is good for the show, that's not the reason really.

In the graphic novel, they are all zombies. But there are some that are walking / roaming around, and some that just lay there until you get close to them. The ones that are walking around are called "Walkers" or "Roamers".

Aaahh, that at least makes sense.

bowener 12-08-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7239183)

Are there any "humpers"? Because that would be terrifying.

siberian khatru 12-08-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 7240094)

I just thought of a Sam Kinison routine about necrophilia.

Zebedee DuBois 12-08-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

H...

I don't like where this is going.

cookster50 12-08-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 7240173)
I just thought of a Sam Kinison routine about necrophilia.

I love visiting the morgue.

irishjayhawk 12-08-2010 08:46 PM

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien...-dead-season-1

Gale destroys the writers being fired story.

kaplin42 12-09-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

LMAO:D:clap:

Valiant 12-09-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Google felony + left4head

tracyk859 12-09-2010 08:23 PM

Thanks for the post. Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

CHENZ A! 12-09-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyk859 (Post 7243657)

togtfo of my zombie htread lady

you're welcome for the post

Bob Dole 12-10-2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyk859 (Post 7243657)

Always room for another mute.

Pushead2 12-10-2010 02:28 AM

that last episode was lackluster to put it nicely.

Miles 12-10-2010 02:55 AM

Didn't realize the season ended that quickly. Thought last week was pretty damn good but a different pace from previous episodes with the false sense of security element.

DenverChief 12-16-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

I'd be grabbing my go bag and plinking those mother effers off

Buck 02-07-2011 11:59 AM

http://indiegeniusprod.com/BestMovie...rns-july-2011/

Quote:

There’s no way AMC could let it’s top rated ever show ‘The Walking Dead‘ wait until October 2011 to return to television and ‘Breaking Bad’s’ Bryan Cranston tells it will return in July 2011 instead. That’s some good news!

blaise 02-07-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7413903)

Good, as long as it's done well.

Huffmeister 02-07-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7413906)
Good, as long as it's done well.

Agreed. I'd rather wait a few more months for quality rather than have to watch rushed garbage.

Dunit35 03-19-2011 01:38 PM

so...anybody pick it up on blu ray?

Just came out March 8th.

Amazon...one of the comments was that episodes 1-4 were blu ray while 5-6 werent? Anyone confirm this?

Also...giggle.

Great Show, but only 6 Episodes? Really?, December 15, 2010
By (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Season One [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I really enjoyed following the story, but can't help but feel a little ripped off being charged so much money for only 6 episodes. If anything, AMC should include some fun stuff with the series. Maybe a map of everywhere the story as taken place thus far? Fake blood? A working crossbow would be awesome and totally worth it but for now I'll wait til Season 2 comes out (unfortunately it is slated to come out Oct 2011...).

Really...that's what people need. Hell Yeah.

Buck 03-19-2011 01:49 PM

All of the episodes are on blu-ray. I have it.

Dunit35 03-19-2011 01:53 PM

Looks like I am buying it then.

Is it badass on blu-ray?

Sure-Oz 03-19-2011 01:54 PM

I can't confirm but I assume that is just a bad packaging not the actual discs.

I have the first season dvred so ill wait

Buck 03-19-2011 01:55 PM

Its very good. They used actual film to make it look sort of gritty.

Dunit35 03-19-2011 02:00 PM

I have it Dvr'ed also.

I have some peeve about having a bunch of stuff on my dvr though.

Sure-Oz 03-19-2011 02:17 PM

I have like 38 hours of HD left to dvr if i want. i keep the good stuff for awhile

catching up on 20 episodes of smallville right now

Buck 03-19-2011 02:19 PM

During football season my DVR is ****ed because I record the HD broadcast of every game.

I don't really have to worry about it during the offseason.

Otter 04-04-2011 02:21 PM

I watched the last 2 episodes via Netflix last night.

Spoiler!

ThaVirus 04-04-2011 03:46 PM

This show blows........... That is all.

notorious 04-04-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7538072)
This show blows........... That is all.

It didn't get better, I will give you that.

They could have made the entire first season awesome by having the cop search for his wife and kid. Throw in a few episodes that makes him think they are dead and a few scenes that make his family think he is possibly alive.

It progressed way too fast. There was a LOT they could have done before the reunion.

blaise 04-04-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7538095)
It didn't get better, I will give you that.

They could have made the entire first season awesome by having the cop search for his wife and kid. Throw in a few episodes that makes him think they are dead and a few scenes that make his family think he is possibly alive.

It progressed way too fast. There was a LOT they could have done before the reunion.

I thought they should have stayed in the city a bit longer.

notorious 04-04-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7538102)
I thought they should have stayed in the city a bit longer.

Yep.

There was an endless amount of story telling they could have done in the city.

Conflict makes a great story. I would have like to see the cop slide into the dark side of humanity after thinking his family is dead.

Oh well, I am not a writer, but I hope they do a little better in the second season compared to the end of the first season. The first 2 episodes were EXCELLENT.

ThaVirus 04-04-2011 04:47 PM

It started out decent, I'll admit, then it took a turn to Shitturd City after the second ep. I love zombies and even though it's been done a million times, there's so much you can do to make it interesting. This series didn't at all and was ripe with bad acting, overacting, lame characters, and absoultely no suspense whatsoever. With 99% of the population being cannibals, you'd think they could have at least made me feel a bit uneasy but never once did that happen. Even when the Z's invaded the camp, I didn't give a shit. All in all, they failed miserably for me.

Also, why the hell would you pass up an assault rifle if all you have is a pistol? Pick up the rifle as your main weapon and put the pistol in your waistband for ****'s sake! I understand they try to throw in rattled nerves for realism, but REALISTICALLY- mother****ers are trying to kill and eat you- picking up a weapon, any weapon, should be priority numero uno!

ModSocks 04-04-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7538192)
It started out decent, I'll admit, then it took a turn to Shitturd City after the second ep. I love zombies and even though it's been done a million times, there's so much you can do to make it interesting. This series didn't at all and was ripe with bad acting, overacting, lame characters, and absoultely no suspense whatsoever. With 99% of the population being cannibals, you'd think they could have at least made me feel a bit uneasy but never once did that happen. Even when the Z's invaded the camp, I didn't give a shit. All in all, they failed miserably for me.

Also, why the hell would you pass up an assault rifle if all you have is a pistol? Pick up the rifle as your main weapon and put the pistol in your waistband for ****'s sake! I understand they try to throw in rattled nerves for realism, but REALISTICALLY- mother****ers are trying to kill and eat you- picking up a weapon, any weapon, should be priority numero uno!

W/o going into detail, I'll agree with you. It started hot and then never picked up. Overall, i was disappointed.

Buck 04-04-2011 04:55 PM

Sounds like you guys want more Zombies.

Not really what the show is supposed to be about.

ThaVirus 04-04-2011 04:57 PM

And what the hell was up with the "vatos" in Atlanta? According to wikipedia Atlanta's population is 54% African-American and only 5% Hispanic. You'd think they could have at least made them "homeboys"; that would have been much more believable than a group of eses that looked like they came straight from a 1990's LA gang movie..

ThaVirus 04-04-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagisil (Post 7538203)

Not really. I'm a big fan of zombies and the post-apocalyptic world in general. There are tons of ways to make this series interesting other than showing heads exploding. And being that we don't know exactly what the end of the world will look like (literally look like, feel like, and the relationship dynamic between the people left), the sky's the limit. There aren't many humans left alive, at least give me some decent character development and make me give a shit about them.

EDIT: Also, I own World War Z and am currently re-reading it. Without spoiling any information, that book contains hardly any zombie action at all yet it keeps me interested.

ModSocks 04-04-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagisil (Post 7538203)

Not at all. The show was lacking overall. I couldn't find a charector that i thought was interesting, the script was bland and the only thing that kept me watching it was the hope that the next episode would deliver like I was hoping it would.

it was like waiting for your wife to come home with a pint of Ben & Jerry's only to show up with some Kroger brand Lemon Sorbet.

Bambi 04-04-2011 07:42 PM

I really like this show.

But I agree with what some of you are saying about the story and writing.

I guess that's why they fired all the writers for season 2, haha.

jiveturkey 04-04-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7538231)
EDIT: Also, I own World War Z and am currently re-reading it. Without spoiling any information, that book contains hardly any zombie action at all yet it keeps me interested.

You probably already know this but World War Z is becoming a movie.

I recently finished the book and loved it. Not sure how well it will translate to movie form. I read somewhere that Brad Pitts production company is putting it together and that he'll be the main character.

As for the show. I was entertained. It was far from perfect but I think that they were working with a limited budget and that's been expanded for the 2nd season.

ThaVirus 04-11-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 7538870)
You probably already know this but World War Z is becoming a movie.

I recently finished the book and loved it. Not sure how well it will translate to movie form. I read somewhere that Brad Pitts production company is putting it together and that he'll be the main character.

As for the show. I was entertained. It was far from perfect but I think that they were working with a limited budget and that's been expanded for the 2nd season.

Yeah, we'll see. I first bought and read the book when I was like 17 or something and didn't really appreciate what Brooks was trying to do. I just wanted a zombie shoot-em-up type. But through my second read through I am liking it much more.. Hopefully they do the movie justice. I thought it was strange when I heard Brad Pitt, of all people, bought the rights to make the movie...

salame 04-11-2011 01:44 AM

if they do it right world war z will be an epic movie

Ceej 04-11-2011 07:44 AM

I really liked this show. I'm curious how and if they will bring the black guy and his kid in season two.

blaise 04-11-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 7553337)
I really liked this show. I'm curious how and if they will bring the black guy and his kid in season two.

I hope so. Seemed like an interesting story line. Didn't Rick (the lead guy, I think Rick was his name) say, at the end of season one, that he had to go warn them not to go to Atlanta?

Ceej 04-11-2011 07:53 AM

That sounds vaguely familiar. I think he may have. I'm just hoping they don't re-introduce them as zombies in season two.