ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If REid doesn't get a QB with our 1st round pick... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268786)

Rasputin 01-12-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9307964)
His stats mean next to nothing. Seth Doege has virtually the same stats. (INTs being the difference - which is truthfully a big difference, but you get the point).

The argument for Geno is the eyeball test. You watch the kid play, and he just has patience, vision, touch, accuracy. I LOVE how he never tucks the ball and runs unless it is absolutely the last option for positive yards.

He actually reminds me more of Roethlesberger in that regard - extending plays and extending plays and then finding an open receiver. Beautiful.

Yes. I have actually made that comparisment before on here. I brought up the difference between Trent Green was about the INTs & lack there of that Geno Smith has.

Rasputin 01-12-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9307976)
I was thinking trade down so we can take a TE AND Guard

No no no havn't you heard Mel Hairkiper say we need a DT or DE..

I think there is one from LSU we can get.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9307964)
His stats mean next to nothing. Seth Doege has virtually the same stats. (INTs being the difference - which is truthfully a big difference, but you get the point).

The argument for Geno is the eyeball test. You watch the kid play, and he just has patience, vision, touch, accuracy. I LOVE how he never tucks the ball and runs unless it is absolutely the last option for positive yards.

He actually reminds me more of Roethlesberger in that regard - extending plays and extending plays and then finding an open receiver. Beautiful.

I don't want Smith to be compared to Big Ben, nor do I want him to ever try to play like Big Ben.

I see where you're coming from in terms of skill set. But Geno has to has to has to learn to become a pocket passer that only extends plays as a last resort. He can't try to be Big Ben.

MeatRock 01-12-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9307946)
I agree he is worth the pick from what I have seen, and I think there are many many many posts that back that up. But I am withholding fanaticism until we have at least gone through off the off the pre-draft process. Can you honestly say that there isn't a single quarterback in this draft that is nearly as capable? There isn't one other guy that could become a franchise QB capable of winning multiple playoff games?

If there is that guy, and we are able to get him without using the first overall pick, then that changes the situation. That's all I am saying.

I would rather have Jarvis Jones AND a franchise QB than just a franchise QB. Now, maybe that's ****ing impossible and there is no earthly way you are going to land a top flight QB without taking one with the first overall pick. Maybe.

But we don't know that yet, so it's silly to be so declarative at this point. It's just silly.

I don't believe this is a weak QB class, not the way the talking heads do. But if that becomes the rhetoric, then the Chiefs might be able to take advantage of it.

Two years ago I wanted Kaepernick. Last year I wanted WIlson (once the RG3 trade possibility was gone). This year I want Geno.

Let's just say that we can get Geno in the 2nd round. Let's say he struggles at the Combine. He tests positive for marijuana. He falls and we draft him at 33rd overall.

Are you going to freak out because we didn't take a QB at #1?

ROFL The Chiefs are not drafing Jarvis with the #1 pick then getting Geno or Wilson in the 2nd round. Are you ****ing high?

crossbow 01-12-2013 12:13 PM

If you guys say Geno is beyond a doubt the choice then I am sold.

Maybe they decide Quinn was being held back by stupid play calling or receivers not running routes correctly. They may go with Quinn and draft a development QB in the 3rd. Dunno. I just know that this decision has to be right or we are screwed. Which means it was epically important that Scot Peephole didn't make that decision.

milkman 01-12-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9307986)
I don't want Smith to be compared to Big Ben, nor do I want him to ever try to play like Big Ben.

I see where you're coming from in terms of skill set. But Geno has to has to has to learn to become a pocket passer that only extends plays as a last resort. He can't try to be Big Ben.

There is no comparison between Geno and Roethlisberger.

Ben is big, strong, ox of a QB that stands in the pocket and shrugs off would be sacks to extend plays.

Geno is a pocket glider that breaks containment when necessary, and extends plays outside the pocket to make plays in the passing game.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9308000)
If you guys say Geno is beyond a doubt the choice then I am sold.

Maybe they decide Quinn was being held back by stupid play calling or receivers not running routes correctly. They may go with Quinn and draft a development QB in the 3rd. Dunno. I just know that this decision has to be right or we are screwed. Which means it was epically important that Scot Peephole didn't make that decision.

There's no way Quinn makes this roster.

I bet if anyone, they're going to sign Trent Edwards as a backup. Reid has almost always had a veteran backup on his roster.

SAUTO 01-12-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9308004)

Ben is big, strong, ox of a QB that stands in the pocket and shrugs off would be sacks to extend plays.

Geno is a pocket glider that breaks containment when necessary, and extends plays outside the pocket to make plays in the passing game.

Spot on
Posted via Mobile Device

MeatRock 01-12-2013 12:18 PM

Trent Edwards? He's ****ing terrible.

Cmd'r&Chief 01-12-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308006)
There's no way Quinn makes this roster.

I bet if anyone, they're going to sign Trent Edwards as a backup. Reid has almost always had a veteran backup on his roster.

How the hell is Trent Edwards a veteran? Doesn't one need experience to be considered a veteran?

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmd'r&Chief (Post 9308014)
How the hell is Trent Edwards a veteran? Doesn't one need experience to be considered a veteran?

He's been in the league for 6 years and started 38 games. How is this even a question? He has about as much experience as you'd expect from a career backup.

Rasputin 01-12-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. The comparison is the ability to extend plays. The maner in wich they do that is different. I agree with your assesment into comparing Geno Smith with Aarron Rodgers. I like that a lot.

Mr. Laz 01-12-2013 12:28 PM

I look forward to the SoC movement, calling for the firing on Reid/Dorsey on the day after the draft, if they don't draft a QB.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I don't want Geno to play like Big Ben because few players can take the kind of abuse Big Ben takes, and Big Ben is a rare QB who has made a living out of holding the ball too long.

I do NOT want Geno to be groomed to extend plays. I want him to learn to make quick reads, and given his work ethic, I think he can do that. The last thing we want to do is to let Geno feel comfortable with holding on to the ball too long because he knows he can get away with it.

Cmd'r&Chief 01-12-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308024)
He's been in the league for 6 years and started 38 games. How is this even a question? He has about as much experience as you'd expect from a career backup.

So he's started only 1/3 of his games and he's a useful veteran in your eyes?