ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Smoking brisket (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313875)

KCUnited 02-11-2018 09:06 AM

Melting surface fat does not penetrate the meat.

MTG#10 02-11-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13412329)
Melting surface fat does not penetrate the meat.

I believe this is correct. I know I read an article that scientifically claimed this somewhere. That's why you're better off fat cap down, for the cap to protect your meat from direct heat. Or do like I do and trim it off completely so you get more of a smoke ring on that side.

Here we go.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...enetrates-meat

cooper barrett 02-11-2018 09:43 AM

It's simple. the fat in the meat makes it juicy not the fat on it. the internal fat gets flavorful when it gets all warm and happy up there about 160 thru 200 degrees, The cap is not going to do anything but keep the smoke flavor and the rub from getting to the meat.

If you have direct heat your just flat out doing it wrong, all your doing by having a fat cap on the meat is filling the grease trap. I guess if you buy cheap meat (no one on CP eats anything less than Japanese Kobe) you could plug it to get the fat into the muscle but that's what us old schooler's call cheating. Injecting flavored oil into the meat. Not me.

cooper barrett 02-11-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13412334)
I believe this is correct. I know I read an article that scientifically claimed this somewhere. That's why you're better off fat cap down, for the cap to protect your meat from direct heat. Or do like I do and trim it off completely so you get more of a smoke ring on that side.

Here we go.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...enetrates-meat

Don't start Googleing shit, some smart ass will come along...ROFLROFL

Some people here should test the meat temp and smoking wood science discussed there too. Let em Google it themselves.

In58men 02-11-2018 10:12 AM

Very interesting, I thought the majority woul have voted down. I will have to change up my process.

mr. tegu 02-11-2018 10:37 AM

Fat side down. The seasoning and baste penetrates the meat better this way. If you are concerned about fat not being on top and losing flavor just use a squeeze butter with your rub in the beginning and then again after about half the cook time.

MTG#10 02-11-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13412372)

Some people here should test the meat temp and smoking wood science discussed there too. Let em Google it themselves.

That's where I read about it awhile back. That site is great, never steered me wrong before.

MTG#10 02-11-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 13412406)
Very interesting, I thought the majority woul have voted down. I will have to change up my process.

The majority in this case are wrong.

FlaChief58 02-11-2018 10:50 AM

1. Put the fire dept. on notice

2. Put your neighbors on notice

3. Get the largest fire extinguisher you can find and keep it on the ready

4. smoke it fat side down

5. Profit

cooper barrett 02-11-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13412448)
That's where I read about it awhile back. That site is great, never steered me wrong before.

I met him before at a stockyards ARBBQ. nice guy, dead on his science for BBQ.

I hope FMB reads it, cold meat, cold bast better than warm.... like hot water freezing faster than cold.

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13412480)
I met him before at a stockyards ARBBQ. nice guy, dead on his science for BBQ.

I hope FMB reads it, cold meat, cold bast better than warm.... like hot water freezing faster than cold.

I've read that site for a long time. Never seen that, though. I'm just not inclined to mess with my tried and true fat cap up method. And of course, I'm not smoking directly over the heat source, so I really don't need the insulation.

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2018 11:38 AM

And on my Pit Barrel, it gets hung anyway. :D

SAUTO 02-11-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13412372)

Everyone googles SOMETIMES you Google all the time.

There hasn't been one subject you aren't an industry leading expert on. Quite an impressive range.from Automotive to restuarant. Literally 99 percent of topics brought up. You intimately know almost every restuarant anyone has eaten at no matter how small or large or time been in business.

There's just no way you could be telling the truth. And that's just silly.

You dont have to lie to kick it. Just be you

Gonzo 02-11-2018 12:18 PM

I've smoked brisket on an open campfire several times. Tin foil was used as a "smoke tent."
Fat side down works better in that circumstance. So ****ing good.

oldman 02-11-2018 12:34 PM

I don't see how this is even a question, unless you're some heathen from Carolina or something. Up, of course.