ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Trading for Nick Foles (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269093)

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 08:33 PM

Trading for Nick Foles

Nick Foles to the Chiefs? Two perspectives (well, mostly one)
By MNchiefsfan on Jan 19, 6:33a 692

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1...-chiefs-rumors

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Why NOT throw another QB's name into the mix? The Chiefs can use all the help they can get at the position in 2013.

I don't know if you've gotten the memo, but quarterback is the main topic of discussion for the Kansas City Chiefs this offseason and for the 2013 NFL Draft.

What quarterback is the best of this draft class? Should the Chiefs draft a quarterback? What round should we draft a quarterback? Should we get a quarterback in free agency? Is Geno Smith awesome or terrible, with no in between? What quarterbacks are available via trade?

And on and on it goes....

I'm not immune to this latest obsession with quarterbacks. I'd say the decision as to whom the Chiefs place behind center next season will largely make or break the next several years (if not the next dozen years) of Chiefs football. If the Chiefs blow it, we'll continue to be trapped in mediocrity for a couple of years. If the Chiefs knock it out of the park, we might contend for a Super Bowl for a decade. Somewhere in between and we could go back and forth between the two for awhile. It's kind of a big deal.

continue in spoiler

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Easy 6 01-19-2013 08:35 PM

Before reading all of that i just wanted to say NO.

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9333951)
Before reading all of that i just wanted to say NO.

to be expected, i suspose

article could contain the secret to neverending life and nobody would give a shit because they want to draft Geno Smith.

just ignore the fact that it's interesting, fun and pretty much says draft Geno and trade for Foles.

*sigh*

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 08:41 PM

Wanted to draft this guy last year...

That said..I'd trade a 3rd for him. Nothing more.

hometeam 01-19-2013 08:42 PM

I have been seeing this around today. Another terrible. terrible idea.

houstonwhodat 01-19-2013 08:44 PM

He's an upgrade from Cassel but he's not the answer.

RunKC 01-19-2013 08:45 PM

Nick Foles is better than Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden and Brock Assweiler. He played for a shitty school with a shitty coach and still looked good.

Top 5 passer in college last year with 3 amazing QB's and led Arizona to a top 10 team in passing most of the school year with only the Criner WR who is now a Raider.

Bump 01-19-2013 08:46 PM

tl;dr

NO

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9333979)

didn't read a word, did ya?

Easy 6 01-19-2013 08:47 PM

It actually was an entertaining read and the guy made a pretty nice case for Foles, i WILL say that.

But as you're well aware, this fanbase is ready for OUR guy, not the other guy... besides that the author is taking a huge leap to assume the guy is on the trade block.

Not trying to slam the idea just to be a jackoff, but i'm one of those who wants a "KC born and bred" player, not the guy the iggles may or may not be ready to cast off.

Bewbies 01-19-2013 08:47 PM

I like the idea of acquiring the backup QB from the team our newly hired regime came from. It works well!

splatbass 01-19-2013 08:48 PM

Since we are going to need 3 QBs I would be fine with him and Geno Smith. It doesn't have to be either/or.

RunKC 01-19-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9333991)
It actually was an entertaining read and the guy made a pretty nice case for Foles, i WILL say that.

But as you're well aware, this fanbase is ready for OUR guy, not the other guy... besides that the author is taking a huge leap to assume the guy is on the trade block.

Not trying to slam the idea just to be a jackoff, but i'm one of those who wants a "KC born and bred" player, not the guy the iggles may or may not be ready to cast off.

So you want Josh Freeman? :)

I keeed I keeed

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

I thought is was a fun article too which is main reason i posted it

I also believe 'the guy' means for us to trade for Foles and draft OUR guy.

Easy 6 01-19-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9333997)
So you want Josh Freeman? :)

I keeed I keeed

I would make an exception in that case, damn the torpedoes and neg reppers.

He is able to take the hits and keep on chucking.

splatbass 01-19-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Not trying to slam the idea just to be a jackoff, but i'm one of those who wants a "KC born and bred" player

What difference does it make as long as the QB is good? Seriously, I don't get this "KC born and bred" stuff. Is it some kind of ego thing?

Len Dawson was not a "KC born and bred" QB, and he is in the HOF and has a SB ring with the Chiefs.

BoneKrusher 01-19-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9333979)

yep

Fat Elvis 01-19-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9333968)
Wanted to draft this guy last year...

That said..I'd trade a 3rd for him. Nothing more.

Draft Geno and trade a 3rd for Foles? I think that is a good idea.

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9334007)
What difference does it make as long as the QB is good?

They feel so empowered lately that they think they can be picky

i want my QB to be born in KC who likes long walks on the beach and drinks coors beer,pretzels and ....

Easy 6 01-19-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

What difference does it make as long as the QB is good? Seriously, I don't get this "KC born and bred" stuff. Is it some kind of ego thing?

Len Dawson was not a "KC born and bred" QB, and he is in the HOF and has a SB ring with the Chiefs.

I wont argue that, if we magically stumble into the golden turd that some other team didnt want... I'M IN.

Just stating my preference.

Mojo Jojo 01-19-2013 09:02 PM

This article is just a ripoff of the KK & Stan Weber conversation Friday on WHB. It would be nice if he at least had an original odea or at least credit the others who have already done this work. Hack

FloridaMan88 01-19-2013 09:03 PM

No to trading for Matt Flynn

No to trading for Nick Foles

No to trading for Michael Vick

No to keeping Stanzi (obviously no to keeping Cassel or re-signing Quinn)

Yes to drafting Geno Smith and another QB in the middle rounds

Stad 01-19-2013 09:05 PM

Didn't read but no thanks.

milkman 01-19-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

I am not against the idea of trading for Foles.

Liked him in college.

As long as the decision to make that trade doen't deter this team from drafting Geno, I would be all for it.

Our QB situation would be the most credible it has been since the days of Lenny Dawson and Jackie Lee.

J Diddy 01-19-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9334026)
They feel so empowered lately that they think they can be picky

i want my QB to be born in KC who likes long walks on the beach and drinks coors beer,pretzels and ....

has a hot alabama style girlfriend

Brock 01-19-2013 09:10 PM

All right everybody, verse four.....EVERYBODY sing it!

splatbass 01-19-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9334041)
No to trading for Matt Flynn

No to trading for Nick Foles

No to trading for Michael Vick

No to keeping Stanzi (obviously no to keeping Cassel or re-signing Quinn)

Yes to drafting Geno Smith and another QB in the middle rounds

Who would be your 3rd QB? Are you saying we shouldn't trade for any of the 3 we will need?

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:11 PM

I'm an Eagles fan. I can tell you that Nick Foles is a franchise QB of the future and I'm very confident that he is better than any QB in this draft. Don't be fooled by the 3rd round pick. He had a better QB rating as a rookie than Andrew Luck, and that's with playing in an offense where 9 out of 11 starters were out with injuries. If you were to trade your early 2nd round pick for him, or swap #1 overall with #4 overall for Foles, you would be getting an absolute steal and would be robbing the Philadelphia Eagles.

Btw, what was up with "No to trading for Michael Vick". Why would you have to trade for Michael Vick? He's going to be released.

Easy 6 01-19-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9334049)
I am not against the idea of trading for Foles.

Liked him in college.

As long as the decision to make that trade doen't deter this team from drafting Geno, I would be all for it.

Our QB situation would be the most credible it has been since the days of Lenny Dawson and Jackie Lee.

Thats fair enough, as long as a QB is taken number one overall, i'd be fine with just about any other move they wanted to make to fill in the blanks.

I'm not the college watcher many of you are, so i dont have to have Geno, just whoever it is Reid and Dorsey think fits their vision the best.

The Franchise 01-19-2013 09:12 PM

I would give up a 6th or 7th for Foles as long as we still draft Geno #1

In58men 01-19-2013 09:14 PM

Nope

Unsmooth-Moment 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

I'd give a third. Still need a QB @1 tho

FloridaMan88 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9334063)
Who would be your 3rd QB? Are you saying we shouldn't trade for any of the 3 we will need?

I'd be very against trading for a QB if it involves giving up a 5th round or higher draft pick.

I like the approach Washington went with this year, high first round draft pick for their starting QB (RGIII), middle round draft pick for his back-up (Cousins), veteran QB as the third string QB, glorified assistant coach role (Rex Grossman).

If the Titans release Matt Hasselbeck, he'd be a good fit for that third string QB, glorified assistant coach role.

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

You guys are crazy talking about 6th or 7th for Foles. This guy has 1st round value and is better than any QB in this draft. There is no better QB available.

RunKC 01-19-2013 09:18 PM

I don't understand why people think that trading for Josh Freeman or Nick Foles is such a terrible idea?

If Reid thinks it's best, what's the problem?

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 09:19 PM

Can the guy study film?

He looks kinda...dumb.

Unsmooth-Moment 01-19-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranciscoD'Anconia (Post 9334092)
You guys are crazy talking about 6th or 7th for Foles. This guy has 1st round value and is better than any QB in this draft. There is no better QB available.

Agree to disagree. I see several QB's in this class beign graded as first round QB's. Foles was a 3rd rounder?

splatbass 01-19-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9334091)
I'd be very against trading for a QB if it involves giving up a 5th round or higher draft pick.

I like the approach Washington went with this year, high first round draft pick for their starting QB (RGIII), middle round draft pick for his back-up (Cousins), veteran QB as the third string QB, glorified assistant coach role (Rex Grossman).

If the Titans release Matt Hasselbeck, he'd be a good fit for that third string QB, glorified assistant coach role.

I imagine Hasselbeck will find a better spot than third string on some team.

Brianfo 01-19-2013 09:23 PM

No. **** no. Go after a real QB.

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:23 PM

Foles was a 3rd rounder because a) he was on a bad team which made him look worse and b) he ran a slow 40, with the "trend" being toward more mobile QBs. In Reid's system, the latter doesn't matter. That's why he slipped. He has EVERYTHING else. When he played, he exceeded expectations. All that having been said, he was a 3rd round pick in what may go down as the best QB draft of all time. IN this, relatively weak draft, that alone makes him early 2nd round value. The fact that he exceeded expectations makes him probably late first round value. Some mock drafts (Mel Kiper's for what its worth) have NO QBs with first round grades, and this is a weak draft all around.

Don't be fooled by the 3rd round pick thing. This guy can play. Don't be fooled by "we can pick a guy 1st overall". There aren't any good QBs in this draft.

keg in kc 01-19-2013 09:25 PM

Sure, why not. It's the same thing we always do. It's worked great for us in the past. In an Einstein definition of insanity kind of way.

CaliforniaChief 01-19-2013 09:25 PM

I'm with Pestilence on this. Nothing higher than a 6th. And I doubt Philly goes for that. A third? No way. Even with a potential compensatory pick for losing Carr, we're going to need those picks to build this roster.

I'm firmly in the draft Geno/Wilson at 1.1, and then in preference:
1. Sign a vet QB like Vick, Hasselbeck, Matt Moore.
2. Draft a guy like Dysert or Bray in middle rounds.
3. Keep Cassel as the backup.
4. Trade for someone else's backup.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 09:26 PM

Posters seemed optimistic about him this time last year...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...ighlight=foles

RunKC 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9334129)
Sure, why not. It's the same thing we always do. It's worked great for us in the past. In an Einstein definition of insanity kind of way.

Trent Green was a fantastic pickup.

And it wasn't his fault that we flopped. He had one of the worst defenses of all-time just like Geno.

milkman 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranciscoD'Anconia (Post 9334126)
Foles was a 3rd rounder because a) he was on a bad team which made him look worse and b) he ran a slow 40, with the "trend" being toward more mobile QBs. In Reid's system, the latter doesn't matter. That's why he slipped. He has EVERYTHING else. When he played, he exceeded expectations. All that having been said, he was a 3rd round pick in what may go down as the best QB draft of all time. IN this, relatively weak draft, that alone makes him early 2nd round value. The fact that he exceeded expectations makes him probably late first round value. Some mock drafts (Mel Kiper's for what its worth) have NO QBs with first round grades, and this is a weak draft all around.

Don't be fooled by the 3rd round pick thing. This guy can play. Don't be fooled by "we can pick a guy 1st overall". There aren't any good QBs in this draft.

Mel Kiper is a ****ing moron.

And anyone suggesting that this QB class is bad is just parroting that moron.

This QB class is better than any in the last 5-6 years, except last year.

These morons just can't wrap their low IQs around the idea that last years class was a generational class.

tony77 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

I say yes,wanted to draft him last yr.

keg in kc 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

So how many mults are we up to now? ChiefBoyRDEE, BiscayneBLVD and FranciscoD'Anconia?

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

How is it the same thing you always do? You always trade for Nick Foles?

What is all this 6th round stuff? The guy has 1st round value. You NEED a QB. You don't see that? Philly is not going to trade him for a 6th round pick and you NEED a QB and he's really good. What is up with the people who wouldn't make that trade?

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:29 PM

It's not just Mel Kiper saying it. Everyone is saying it.

BryanBusby 01-19-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9334134)
Posters seemed optimistic about him this time last year...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...ighlight=foles

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FshkO8HqQ10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was not me.

BossChief 01-19-2013 09:31 PM

If we draft Geno Smith, I don't care what they do with the rest of the draft picks this year.

If we moved our third for him, I'd be totally fine with that. There was a time when he was in the conversation for a first round pick.

Geno Smith
Nick Foles
Ricky Stanzi

Get a corner with the 3rd round comp pick we should get for Carr and a safety with our second rounder ....then a MLB with our fourth and let's roll.

milkman 01-19-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranciscoD'Anconia (Post 9334144)

What is all this 6th round stuff? The guy has 1st round value. You NEED a QB. You don't see that? Philly is not going to trade him for a 6th round pick and you NEED a QB and he's really good. What is up with the people who wouldn't make that trade?

1st round value?

You're a bigger ****ing moron than Kiper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranciscoD'Anconia (Post 9334146)
It's not just Mel Kiper saying it. Everyone is saying it.

Which is why I said "morons".

In case your dumb ass doesn't understand this, an "s" attached indicates plural.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9334153)
If we draft Geno Smith, I don't care what they do with the rest of the draft picks this year.

If we moved our third for him, I'd be totally fine with that. There was a time when he was in the conversation for a first round pick.

Geno Smith
Nick Foles
Ricky Stanzi

Get a corner with the 3rd round comp pick we should get for Carr and a safety with our second rounder ....then a MLB with our fourth and let's roll.

No Stanzi.

Must get rid of all the garbage under center.

Ace Gunner 01-19-2013 09:38 PM

Chip Kelly is going to like Foles. That's my guess. Foles will stay in Philly and run that offense.

FranciscoD'Anconia 01-19-2013 09:39 PM

Ok Mr. Milkman. You're a genius. I defer to you. You're a lot smarter than I am. That's why the best response you can come up with is to insult the other person. Can't make a sound argument on its merits, so just start insulting people. Shows your intellect

milkman 01-19-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9334179)
Chip Kelly is going to like Foles. That's my guess. Foles will stay in Philly and run that offense.

Foles is not nearly mobile enough to run Kelley's system, even if he adjusts it for the NFL.

CaliforniaChief 01-19-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranciscoD'Anconia (Post 9334183)
Ok Mr. Milkman. You're a genius. I defer to you. You're a lot smarter than I am. That's why the best response you can come up with is to insult the other person. Can't make a sound argument on its merits, so just start insulting people. Shows your intellect

And your sound argument is based off of Mel Kiper, Jr.???

LMAO

He recently said that the Chiefs should take Manti Te'o with the first pick. Who's the dumbass???

milkman 01-19-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

I am sick of dumbasses making uninformed posts.

Matt Cassel has won games against 2 teams with winning records, and only 1 against a playoff team, the '10 Seahawks.

That includes his starts with the Patriots.

He's not a system QB.

He's a guy that won't lose a game against teams with inferior talent as long as he has a stud RB to keep him from ****ing up.

KurtCobain 01-19-2013 09:43 PM

Matt cassel started for the dolphins?

Ace Gunner 01-19-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9334185)
Foles is not nearly mobile enough to run Kelley's system, even if he adjusts it for the NFL.

I look for Kelly's offense to become more like a Coryell type offense in the NFL.

tony77 01-19-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9334153)

Geno Smith
Nick Foles
Ricky Stanzi

Thats foolish to say as long as they draft smith and then you don`t care about the other picks,lol. I mean come on smith is not the next big shit. Another thing regardless who the rookie qb is hes not starting. Drop that notion.

milkman 01-19-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9334204)
Matt cassel started for the dolphins?

My bad.

The Dolphins were one of the teams with a winning record that Matt Cassel started and won against, when he was a Patriot.

Edited.

KurtCobain 01-19-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9334213)
My bad.

The Dolphins were one of the teams with a winning record that Matt Cassel started and won against, when he was a Patriot.

Edited.

I apologize for ramming you like that, I just thought it was funny. Continue on.

Chiefs=Champions 01-19-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

You are a ****ing idiot...

Molitoth 01-19-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

If foles is so good, Philly would keep him.
We are tired of getting other teams castoffs.

Geno smith has the potential to be great. Go visit the geno smith thread.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 01-19-2013 09:55 PM

Santa Clause is posting in the Joeckel thread.

tony77 01-19-2013 09:55 PM

LOL foles is hardly a castoff

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-19-2013 09:56 PM

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...shoot_miri.gif

FringeNC 01-19-2013 09:59 PM

What's sad is how a non-heralded rookie (Foles) was so much more effective than the trash we trotted out there. JFC. Whoever is our starter next year -- Reid will at least give us an NFL-caliber passing attack. Thank god.

splatbass 01-19-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Can't make a sound argument on its merits, so just start insulting people.

Welcome to Chiefs Planet.

Sully 01-19-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9334101)
Can the guy study film?

He looks kinda...dumb.

I substitute taught at his high school a few times last year, and had his sister in class. I'm not saying this means a damn thing, but she was... Ummm... Not bright at all (even compared to the other SPED kids in her classes).

HolyHat 01-19-2013 10:18 PM

It's actually a pretty good read on the kid. Foles has all the skills needed to be successful. That being said, I still want to draft Geno. I'd trade a 3rd round pick in a heartbeat for Foles though.

crossbow 01-19-2013 10:21 PM

Teams know the single most important postion in the league is the QB. Instead of relying on other team's scraps, they draft their own guy. Most teams do what the Chargers do if they spend a high pick on a bad QB...they draft another one with another high pick. The Chiefs really need to start doing that too.

The_Doctor10 01-19-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9333986)
tl;dr

I feel like this is the problem with our society in general...

suds79 01-19-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Same.

But while I'd like to see us draft a qb in the first, at this point I think it's looking unlikely. So Foles would be my second option. I wanted the Chiefs to draft him last year.

BigCatDaddy 01-19-2013 11:02 PM

I think LA Chiefsfan was done a favor. He won't have to see a dozen stupid ass threads like this one over the next 3 months.

ChiefsCountry 01-19-2013 11:04 PM

Lets trade for somebody's backup quarterback has worked so well for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

FloridaMan88 01-19-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9334384)
Lets trade for somebody's backup quarterback has worked so well for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is like a heroin addiction to some in this fanbase... the desire to trade for another team's back-up QB.

tony77 01-19-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9334265)
What's sad is how a non-heralded rookie (Foles) was so much more effective than the trash we trotted out there. JFC. Whoever is our starter next year -- Reid will at least give us an NFL-caliber passing attack. Thank god.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9334367)
Same.

But while I'd like to see us draft a qb in the first, at this point I think it's looking unlikely. So Foles would be my second option. I wanted the Chiefs to draft him last year.

Yes foles would be the same exact thing. Theres a plus side hes already broken into the nfl. Unlike a rookie.

RealSNR 01-20-2013 02:20 AM

Nick Foles ****ing sucks

Stanzi > Cousins > Foles