ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Has Anyone Had a USB HD get a RAW partition error? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284056)

Baby Lee 06-01-2014 09:38 AM

Has Anyone Had a USB HD get a RAW partition error?

Had the electricity go off when in use and now the data is there but the OS can't see it and the HD can't be formatted even if willing to sacrifice the data.

Online solutions range from very complex to just using seatools on advanced

I'm in the middle of a ~24 hour session of easeUS, which seemed to be the most highly recommended solution.

It's a 3TB NTFS book style that shows a 370MB RAW partition only that nothing can be done with right now.

What are my chances. I guess at worst I can utilize my warranty, it's 3yr and I bought it this past Xmas.

SAUTO 06-01-2014 09:40 AM

Your skrewd
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 06-01-2014 09:40 AM

Btw what is a 3TB NTFS book style?
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee 06-01-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10663593)
Btw what is a 3TB NTFS book style?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WEi0ZzxuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-.../dp/B0042Z55RM

SAUTO 06-01-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10663629)

A picture tells a thousand words

DaveNull 06-01-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10663589)
Had the electricity go off when in use and now the data is there but the OS can't see it and the HD can't be formatted even if willing to sacrifice the data.

Online solutions range from very complex to just using seatools on advanced

I'm in the middle of a ~24 hour session of easeUS, which seemed to be the most highly recommended solution.

It's a 3TB NTFS book style that shows a 370MB RAW partition only that nothing can be done with right now.

What are my chances. I guess at worst I can utilize my warranty, it's 3yr and I bought it this past Xmas.

Maybe sober up and try to explain what's happening again.

htismaqe 06-01-2014 11:07 AM

So you were doing a RAW data backup in EaseUS ToDo Backup when the power hit?

It's probably messed up.

Ragged Robin 06-01-2014 11:31 AM

Abrupt power loss and electronic storage devices is a nono. If you care about your data, get a UPS. Once it goes RAW there's only a couple of options left, run chkdsk to see if it can recover it or otherwise use a third party tool like Easus to pull data out. It's more likely filesystem corruption than a hardware issue though so after you extract what data you can, you can probably just zero-wipe it and then format it again.

Baby Lee 06-01-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10663685)
Maybe sober up and try to explain what's happening again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10663781)
So you were doing a RAW data backup in EaseUS ToDo Backup when the power hit?

It's probably messed up.

Are you familiar with FAT, FAT32, NTFS. They are file structures or formats that keep track of where the information actually ends up on the physical discs.

Well, if a USB drive starts to physically wear down, or if the power to it is removed at just the right time, ie the middle of a write, it loses critical bits that tell how the whole structure is arranged. The structure is still there, but the boot sector doesn't know how to navigate it.

I was watching TV, nothing to do with easUS, when the power went out.

This is what I'm doing now, which is easUS. This link probably explains the situation better than me

http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-f...em-to-ntfs.htm

DaveNull 06-01-2014 12:00 PM

So did you have a question? There are a few ways to approach this, but i can't tell from these words that you've strung together whether you even have a problem since you say the data is still there.

SAUTO 06-01-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10663899)
So did you have a question? There are a few ways to approach this, but i can't tell from these words that you've strung together whether you even have a problem since you say the data is still there.

Im lost on this shit but I think he's trying to say the data is on the drive but nothing knows what order to put the letters and numbers in
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee 06-01-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10663899)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10664017)
Im lost on this shit but I think he's trying to say the data is on the drive but nothing knows what order to put the letters and numbers in
Posted via Mobile Device

Not to be snarky, but this is probably a problem exclusively for someone who's had it before. Which is why I worded the thread header as I did. If you've had the problem you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. And really, all I need to know is how likely I'm going to recover this disc, as the online consensus the fix I'm applying appears to be my best course, unless you personally know a better one.

The best I can clarify is that the hard drive is like a great map, and locations are file data, but you [windows] doesn't know where you are, so you don't know how to get to anything. This is because me the partition structure [not the data] is corrupted

SAUTO 06-01-2014 01:45 PM

So I was totally wrong? Figures
Posted via Mobile Device

nstygma 06-01-2014 02:36 PM

I have the RAW partition problem. I used easeus or a combination of other utils to recover the data to another drive.
I think spinrite can try to use the MFT backup to fix the issue, not sure.

htismaqe 06-02-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10663841)
Are you familiar with FAT, FAT32, NTFS. They are file structures or formats that keep track of where the information actually ends up on the physical discs.

RAW is bit-level. There are no file structures or file systems. RAW is just that, raw.

Quote:

Well, if a USB drive starts to physically wear down, or if the power to it is removed at just the right time, ie the middle of a write, it loses critical bits that tell how the whole structure is arranged. The structure is still there, but the boot sector doesn't know how to navigate it.

If you have a partial RAW partition, it's much, much different than having a couple of missing files or corruption in a file system.

Quote:

This is what I'm doing now, which is easUS. This link probably explains the situation better than me

http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-f...em-to-ntfs.htm

OK, that makes much more sense. You're trying to restore the RAW image to a useable format. EaseUS can indeed do that as can DriveImage XML which is my tool of choice.

The safest course of action is to restore the RAW partition to another physical drive if you can.