ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Andy Reid's 1st round picks, 1999-2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268714)

buddha 01-15-2013 10:52 PM

Good explanation Sacc...well done.

We still don't have the pieces we need to run either version of the 3-4.

Saccopoo 01-16-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 9322973)
Good explanation Sacc...well done.

We still don't have the pieces we need to run either version of the 3-4.

No, not necessarily.

But we do have most of the pieces personel wise to run the 46, which is a version of the 34 where two NT are lined up, with one sitting on the tackle and a safety, a good run support safety with excellent athleticism is basically the fifth linebacker. The standup end on the opposite side is an oversized LB that has pass rush skills. The other LB is a big guy, but who can handle the strongside against tight ends.

Poe, Powe, Hali, Houston, Berry, Bailey all really fit that alignment. And I'm not sure, but I believe that Sutton has some experience with it.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/52...PIC_medium.jpg

20 - Berry
96 - Powe
98 - Poe
55 - Houston
90 - Hali
95 - Bailey
51 - Johnson
54 - Whoever we get for MLB duties
29 - Flowers
28 - Whoever we get for CB duties
31 - Lewis if he's ever healthy

It really is a perfect fit for our existing personel.

I'd like to think that someone out there besides some schmuck on a football board notices shit like this.

htismaqe 01-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9323317)
No, not necessarily.

But we do have most of the pieces personel wise to run the 46, which is a version of the 34 where two NT are lined up, with one sitting on the tackle and a safety, a good run support safety with excellent athleticism is basically the fifth linebacker. The standup end on the opposite side is an oversized LB that has pass rush skills. The other LB is a big guy, but who can handle the strongside against tight ends.

Poe, Powe, Hali, Houston, Berry, Bailey all really fit that alignment. And I'm not sure, but I believe that Sutton has some experience with it.

20 - Berry
96 - Powe
98 - Poe
55 - Houston
90 - Hali
95 - Bailey
51 - Johnson
29 - Flowers

I'd like to think that someone out there besides some schmuck on a football board notices shit like this.

The way the 46 uses the safeties is just asking to set records for passing defense with our current personnel. Essentially you're in Cover 1 and your last line of defense is Kendrick "Pinball" Lewis.

Rambozo 01-17-2013 10:22 AM

What's really interesting to me is that Reid traded in the first round 7 times in the last ten years. He traded up 5 times and moved back twice.

Chris Meck 01-17-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9323317)
No, not necessarily.

20 - Berry
96 - Powe
98 - Poe
55 - Houston
90 - Hali
95 - Bailey
51 - Johnson
29 - Flowers

Well, you need two corners that are able to play on an island; so we're short a guy there. A MLB should be gettable. A safety to play centerfield as well. I think your assessment is decent with the exception of this-you've got Bailey and Poe flipped. Bailey'd get killed in that spot, IMO. A 320 lb. guard will just stone him with no room for lateral movement. He'd do much better in the 6 gap, I think, where it's not so congested. Poe's huge size, quickness and strength would demand a doubleteam in the 1 gap. He's big enough to just overwhelm a single lineman.

Rambozo 01-17-2013 11:09 AM

I don't think you can count on Bailey or Powe very much. Both hardly saw the field last year. Lewis just isn't very good and is a liability in run support. Realistically, there are five holes in the defense. The good news is that the other six players are really good.

Amnorix 01-17-2013 11:26 AM

Not for nothing, but the 46 defense isn't exactly widely used for a reason. You need exceptional talent at a number of positions to execute it well.

Two gap versus one gap makes a fairly big difference though, and even though both are 3-4 defenses, the concept difference is pretty significant.

Saccopoo 01-17-2013 11:11 PM

I understand that we are a couple of players short, which I alluded to in the orignal post.

A CB like Rhodes, Amerson or Banks would allievitate the big, press corner situations in this defense and a guy like Florida's Bostic would take care of the other at MLB.

The big deal with the 46 is lining up two NT's with one being able to get upfield.

Powe and Poe are ideal for this setup.

HolyHat 01-20-2013 10:40 PM

So basically, if Andy Reid's drafts...and John Dorsey's drafts got together and made baby drafts... we would have the greatest masterpiece of all time?