ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs AFC West UDFA Grades (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207085)

Quesadilla Joe 05-01-2009 02:47 PM

AFC West UDFA Grades

http://draftguys.com/index.php/artic..._grades_-_afc/
:)
Denver Broncos

LB Braxton Kelley, Kentucky
LB Jeff Schweiger, San Jose State
OT Marcus Gordon, Kentucky State
CB D.J. Johnson, Jackson State
RB Kestahn Moore, Florida
WR Travis Shelton, Temple
DE Rulon Davis, Cal-Berkeley
WR Nate Swift, Nebraska
DT Chris Baker, Hampton
WR David Grimes, Notre Dame
OT Stanley Bryant, E. Carolina
LB Lee Robinson, Alcorn State
DT Everette Pedescleaux, N. Iowa
TE Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas
CB Dominique Johnson, Jackson State
WR Lucas Taylor, Tennessee
CB Tony Carter, Florida State

Here’s your top UDFA class. They didn’t address the front seven as much as most people wanted them to in the draft, but Rulon Davis is a born 3-4 DE and an Iraq tested marine, Pedescleaux has tons of upside, Robinson could end up being a beast of an ILB if he’s smart enough to handle the position, and Chris Baker is one of the few guys in the draft class who has the frame to play 3-4 NT. I also think Tony Carter will stick as a nickel/dime corner, and Nate Swift is an underrated, hard-nosed wideout.

Grade: A+

Kansas City Chiefs

CB Jackie Bates, Hampton
DB Ricky Price, Oklahoma State
WR Taurus Johnson, South Florida
DE Bobby Greenwood, Alabama
DB Londen Fryar, W. Michigan
DE Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois
WR Taurus Johnson, South Florida
LB Jovan Belcher, Maine
LB Bobby Abare, Yale

The Chiefs actually got some decent OLB prospects in Belcher and Walters, and a speedy corner in Bates, but I would expect a rebuilding team to do better, especially when they only spent three picks on defense even though they’re changing schemes.

Grade: D

Oakland Raiders

WR Chris Johnson, Tennessee State
LB Jerome Boyd, Oregon
WR Keith Miller, Southern Utah
DE Desmond Bryant, Harvard
LB David Nixon, Brigham Young
WR Shawn Bayes, Kent State
LB Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic

Not much to look at except Joseph, who has tons of heart and natural violence in his game - he’ll make the team and challenge to start eventually.

Grade: C+ (The plus is for Joseph)

San Diego Chargers

OL Ben Muth, Stanford
WR Greg Carr, Florida State
LB Anthony Felder, Cal-Berkeley
FB Bill Rentmeester, Wisconsin
WR Jeremy Childs, Boise State
DB C.J. Spillman, Marshall
TE Jerimiah Wurzbacher, North Dakota State
TE Kory Sperry, Colorado State
OT Sam Allen, Grand Valley
LB James Holt, Kansas
DT Rashaad Jackson, Clemson
RB Curtis Brinkley, Syracuse
LB Darry Beckwith, L.S.U.
OL Ryan McDonald, Illinois
WR Charly Martin, West Texas A&M
OT Dan Gay, Baylor
CB Wopamo Osaisai, Stanford
WR Rod Smith, Auburn

A variety of guys that could turn to gold (well ok, aluminum or a useful, but less valuable metal), including a solid, but unspectacular safety (Spillman), an athletic but one-dimensional receiving TE (Sperry), a top ILB that surprisingly fell out of the draft (Beckwith), and a gritty, experienced 3-4 ILB (Felder)

Grade: A

htismaqe 05-01-2009 02:50 PM

You need a great UDFA class.

Your draft sucked so bad that only Al Davis could make it look good by comparison.

MoreLemonPledge 05-01-2009 02:52 PM

They have UDFA grades? I really want to know if my team did the best at picking up players that will probably never see the field. THE CHIEFS MUST HAVE THE BEST PRACTICE SQUAD!

Pitt Gorilla 05-01-2009 02:53 PM

Pedescleaux was a great pickup for the Donx. It sucks when bad things happen to good kids.

Reaper16 05-01-2009 02:56 PM

Chargers had the best UDFA class, if only because they took Charly Martin and Sam Allen.

CoMoChief 05-01-2009 03:13 PM

Is it stupid to grade this ? Probably.

Having that said we probably could have gone after better players. Not really impressed with any of the players we picked up in UDFA

shammus 05-01-2009 03:17 PM

"...Chris Baker is one of the few guys in the draft class who has the frame to play 3-4 NT..."

I was hoping we'd take a look at him in the later rounds because I thought he'd be a decent project at the NT spot as well. Hope Tank turns out well....

BigRock 05-01-2009 03:21 PM

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2862/jumptheshark.jpg

Frazod 05-01-2009 03:22 PM

Yes, this will be very important in six months when they're all flipping burgers somewhere. LMAO

And why are you dogging on an AFC West team anyway? I thought you were a Bears fan.

Archie Bunker 05-01-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5732276)
Is it stupid to grade this ? Probably.

Having that said we probably could have gone after better players. Not really impressed with any of the players we picked up in UDFA

I'll have to agree with you on that, with a respected GM and plenty of opportunities to play I thought our UDFA haul would be a little better. Then again just because I've never heard of them doesn't mean they suck.

RealSNR 05-01-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5732286)
Yes, this will be very important in six months when they're all flipping burgers somewhere. LMAO

And why are you dogging on an AFC West team anyway? I thought you were a Bears fan.

:LOL:

ChiefRon 05-01-2009 03:38 PM

Grades for UDFA?

ROFL

Rooster 05-01-2009 03:39 PM

So basically if you sign a shitload of UDFA you get an A. :rolleyes:

ChiefRon 05-01-2009 03:41 PM

I do remember Beckwith's name being mentioned by Mayock in the later rounds, so not sure why we didn't do whatever it took to land him.

Spicy McHaggis 05-01-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutler7624 (Post 5732212)
The Chiefs actually got some decent OLB prospects in Belcher and Walters, and a speedy corner in Bates, but I would expect a rebuilding team to do better, especially when they only spent three picks on defense even though they’re changing schemes.

I'm glad we got Walters as a UDFA. He showed well in the Texas v. The Nation game.