ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Ouch: PFW Evaluates Geno, Barkley (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271664)

ModSocks 04-03-2013 05:44 PM

Look at his review of Matt Barkley, who is widely considered the #2 Prospect behind Geno. His review is glowing in comparison to Geno. The majority of it is positive. There are even built in excuses for Barkley (poor offensive line etc) yet no mention of Geno's shittastic O-Line and Defense and lack of a running game.

WVU had Austin, Baily and Geno. THAT'S IT. Yet he wants to single out the K-state game as the moment of truth for Geno and makes no note of the awful play of his defense.

But Barkley gets a built in excuse?

That is bullshit and it's biased

Here is the funniest thing:

What's Barkley's #1 question mark?

His Arm strength, right?

It's not even mentioned as a negative for Barkley.

And we're suppose to take this guys seriously? It REEKS of favoritism.

It's awful. Geno gets a laundry list of negatives, Barkely, the #2 Prospect gets a few sentences.

Yeah...i smell some favoritism and some Bullshit here.

The guy clearly has some ulterior motives. I'm not going to pretend i know what those motives are, but it's pretty ****ing blatant when you compare the reports side by side.

patteeu 04-03-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9554645)
Look at his review of Matt Barkley, who is widely considered the #2 Prospect behind Geno. His review is glowing in comparison to Geno. The majority of it is positive. There are even built in excuses for Barkley (poor offensive line etc) yet no mention of Geno's shittastic O-Line and Defense and lack of a running game.

WVU had Austin, Baily and Geno. THAT'S IT. Yet he wants to single out the K-state game as the moment of truth for Geno and makes no note of the awful play of his defense.

But Barkley gets a built in excuse?

That is bullshit and it's biased

Here is the funniest thing:

What's Barkley's #1 question mark?

His Arm strength, right?

It's not even mentioned as a negative for Barkley.

And we're suppose to take this guys seriously? It REEKS of favoritism.

It's awful. Geno gets a laundry list of negatives, Barkely, the #2 Prospect gets a few sentences.

Yeah...i smell some favoritism and some Bullshit here.

The guy clearly has some ulterior motives. I'm not going to pretend i know what those motives are, but it's pretty ****ing blatant when you compare the reports side by side.

1. It's not surprising that his critique of Barkley is a little better than that of Smith since he gave him a higher grade.

2. Despite that higher grade, he doesn't treat Barkley with kid gloves. You're imagining that. Read these negatives again and tell me where he's making excuses:

Quote:

Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can’t step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs. Not quick-eyed — many throws are pre-determined at the line, and he will hold the ball too long on some progressions. Can be streaky (see Washington). Never beat Stanford’s pro-style defense in four years.
3. Doesn't mention arm strength? Go back to 2. and read it again.

4. I don't know why you're trying so hard to see ulterior motives, but it seems to be screwing up your reading ability.

Sorter 04-03-2013 06:05 PM

Not quick-eyed

OMG, Barkley's got slow eyes too!

tk13 04-03-2013 06:10 PM

Funny thing is Mayock has always been taken as the best TV guy around here. Until now.

Chiefnj2 04-03-2013 06:22 PM

There is some reason all the top teams are scrambling to shuffle average journeymen, and there is no smoke at all about anyone interested in moving up. Maybe Nolan has it right.

ModSocks 04-03-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9554655)
1. It's not surprising that his critique of Barkley is a little better than that of Smith since he gave him a higher grade.

2. Despite that higher grade, he doesn't treat Barkley with kid gloves. You're imagining that. Read these negatives again and tell me where he's making excuses:

3. Doesn't mention arm strength? Go back to 2. and read it again.

4. I don't know why you're trying so hard to see ulterior motives, but it seems to be screwing up your reading ability.

He clearly uses the O-Line as an excuse in his overview. He compares Barkley to DREW BREES while comparing Geno to Akili Smith. What the **** does Geno have in common with Akili Smith? Comparing him to Akili smith is automatically putting the bust tag on him when he shares nothing in common with Akili aside from his last name and skin color.

What the **** has Matt Barkely ever done to draw comparisons to Drew Brees?

Geno got absolutely destroyed in this review, using very harsh verbage. There isn't anything nearly as harsh in Barkley's review.

There is a reason why this review is so heavily debated. But go ahead and pretend that it's a fair analysis. Go ahead and continue white knighting a guy who has already been proven to be disingenuous in his scouting reports.

notorious 04-03-2013 06:27 PM

We will see if he is proven correct or not in due time.

ModSocks 04-03-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9554722)
There is some reason all the top teams are scrambling to shuffle average journeymen, and there is no smoke at all about anyone interested in moving up. Maybe Nolan has it right.

There are some things that Nolan is right about in his review. And it's a very real possibility that teams don't see Geno as a day 1 starter.

But that's not what this is about. This is about a scathing assault on a guy's character and intelligence. All of which has been refuted by every other reputable source out there.

Judging by his review, you'd think Geno was Jamarcus Russel.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9554735)
There are some things that Nolan is right about in his review. And it's a very real possibility that teams don't see Geno as a day 1 starter.

But that's not what this is about. This is about a scathing assault on a guy's character and intelligence. All of which has been refuted by every other reputable source out there.

Judging by his review, you'd think Geno was Jamarcus Russel.

They WANT him to be Russel so they can jerk each other off for not putting him at the top of their boards when they first began composing mocks.

Smith should slather his penii in cocoa butter and dick whip every one of those mother****ers!
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 04-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9554687)
Not quick-eyed

OMG, Barkley's got slow eyes too!

It might be the beginning of a pandemic!

Saccopoo 04-03-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9554745)
They WANT him to be Russel so they can jerk each other off for not putting him at the top of their boards when they first began composing mocks.

Smith should slather his penii in cocoa butter and dick whip every one of those mother****ers!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm pretty sure that if Geno drops due to propaganda fuelled agenda filled ****tarded shit like this pencil dick put out, he's going to shove a lot of footballs up a lot of people's asses.

Sorter 04-03-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9554754)

Forest Whitaker's evil plans are coming to fruition, it seems.

ModSocks 04-03-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9554758)

Can you explain to us what Geno and Akili have in common?

ModSocks 04-03-2013 06:44 PM

Here's a damning report about Geno's work ethic:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

Green Bay — Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class.

So then, Spavital had a solution.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”

A constant need for film paid off. Smith is widely considered the top quarterback prospect in this year's NFL draft class.

Questions dominate the position. Unlike last year, there isn't an Andrew Luck or a Robert Griffin III rampaging into the NFL. West Virginia’s Smith is the headliner and could go as high as No. 1 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs. On Tuesday, Spavital described Smith as the quintessential “film junkie.” Through these last few years, he has coached the record-setting Case Keenum at Houston, Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and then Smith.

Out of the three, Smith was the most complete quarterback. And while outsiders may have doubts, Spavital believes Smith has a skill-set that will translate to the pros.

To him, the Chiefs have to take Geno Smith first overall.

“I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall,” he said. “I’ve been around some pretty good ones and I’ve never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry.”

On that iPad, Smith watched every snap of Aaron Rodgers’ season in 2011. Sometimes, Spavital joined him but usually Smith watched the Packers quarterback on his own. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder began mimicking Rodgers’ play-action tendencies. The Packers and Mountaineers run a handful of similar formations. In the split-back, play-action game, Smith noticed that Rodgers rides a prolonged fake to the running back to protect himself longer in the pocket.

So he started doing the same thing at West Virginia.

Same story with Drew Brees. Smith liked how Brees pump-faked the opposite direction before throwing screen passes to backs, so he picked that habit up, too.

“He studies it,” Spavital said. “With Brandon Weeden, I couldn’t say that about him. I love the guy to death but he had some good guys around him. Brandon knew how to get the ball to those guys. There were times at West Virginia when (Smith) had to create things.”

All three quarterbacks Spavital coached were very different. He said Keenum had the quickest release of the three but didn’t measure up physically. Weeden had the “strongest arm” but also benefited from a strong supporting cast.

Smith was the best overall player. Neither Weeden or Keenum were quite the student of the game, too.

“He could do it all,” Spavital said. “He could be under center. He can throw out of the shotgun. He can throw comebacks. He can pull it and run when he needs to. We got to do some pretty good stuff with Geno because he was such a good student of the game and we could do anything with him. ... He impresses me a lot with the things that he can do — how he operates the game, how he studies. He would actually sit there and bring ideas to the table. There were times when we let him check 80% of the game. We put a lot on him and he’s capable of doing that."

Smith finished the 2012 season with 4,205 passing yards, 42 touchdowns and only six interceptions. At times, he was video-game efficient.

In a 70-63 win over Baylor, Smith was a mind-boggling 45 of 51 for 656 yards with eight touchdowns and no picks. The next week — surrounded by 100,000-plus at Texas — he led West Virginia to a 48-45 win. And when Smith couldn't feel his hands in a frigid win over Iowa State, he pretended to do play-action fakes in the screen game to get a better grip on the ball.

Said Spavital, "He knows how to think on his feet and be creative with things.”

But there was also that whole five-game losing streak in the middle of the season. Smith's early grip on the Heisman Trophy slipped away and the Mountaineers’ season ended with a thud against Syracuse when Smith was less than impressive. Spavital admits Smith didn't have enough touch on his deep ball as a junior, but said the mid-season struggles in 2012 were a reflection of coaches asking him to do too much more than Smith himself.

Overall, an attention to detail fed Smith's growth and he mostly shed any potential "system quarterback" label. Smith operated in the shotgun and under center. Immediately after each home game, Smith and Spavital watched a replay of the full game together. Smith cleaned up, grabbed food and brought it to his coach's office. He needed to see it while it was fresh in his mind.

From there, Spavital said the quarterback would watch that Saturday's game “four or five times” before their next meeting together.

At the NFL scouting combine, Smith now has a chance to cash in.

“There are those guys that are ‘what can football do for me?’ He’s ‘what can I do for football,’” Spavital said. “That’s how he approaches it. You take the game away from him and he’s got nothing.”

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9554757)
I'm pretty sure that if Geno drops due to propaganda fuelled agenda filled ****tarded shit like this pencil dick put out, he's going to shove a lot of footballs up a lot of people's asses.

I agree. Russell, this man is NOT. ****ing idiots.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9554758)

Yeah, and Eric Clapton really had a "slow hand"!
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 04-03-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9554728)
He clearly uses the O-Line as an excuse in his overview. He compares Barkley to DREW BREES while comparing Geno to Akili Smith. What the **** does Geno have in common with Akili Smith? Comparing him to Akili smith is automatically putting the bust tag on him when he shares nothing in common with Akili aside from his last name and skin color.

What the **** has Matt Barkely ever done to draw comparisons to Drew Brees?

Geno got absolutely destroyed in this review, using very harsh verbage. There isn't anything nearly as harsh in Barkley's review.

There is a reason why this review is so heavily debated. But go ahead and pretend that it's a fair analysis. Go ahead and continue white knighting a guy who has already been proven to be disingenuous in his scouting reports.

He hasn't been proven to be disingenuous in his scouting reports. Please stop making things up.

Both Geno and Akili are about the same height. Both Geno and Akili were throwers not runners. Speaking of disingenuous, it's disingenuous for you to say that the only thing they had in common was a last name and skin color.

I get it. You don't like this guy's opinion of Geno Christ, but that doesn't make him a racist. No one should be surprised if he ends up being right about Geno and Barkley. He's been right about both Cam and RGIII so far.

RealSNR 04-03-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9554699)
Funny thing is Mayock has always been taken as the best TV guy around here. Until now.

Since when? Mayock's the chode muncher who always mocks us LTs.

He gave us Monroe, Okung, and Bulaga three ****ing years in a row. I don't know ANYBODY on here who has ever liked what he's said about the Chiefs and the draft.

Oh, and whaddaya know? Before the Alex Smith trade was announced, he was all about Joeckel coming here. Before he knew what the **** Albert was up to at all and when Winston was still a Chief. Joeckel Joeckel Joeckel was his thing.

During combine coverage they put up a screen shot of Chiefs #1 needs, which included QB, CB, and ILB or something like that. He looked at that and even said, "WHAT THE **** IS THIS? OFFENSIVE LINE, GOD DAMN IT! HERE, LET ME WRITE IT OUT FOR YOU *writes out OL with the yellow pen* SEE? OFFENSIVE. LINE. JESUS ****!"

RealSNR 04-03-2013 07:14 PM

Mayock never met a fatty at the beginning of the first round that he didn't like. It's like he's got a fetish for watching fat guys get paid lots of money in midwestern cities.

Either that or Branden Albert raped his entire family. Or both.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 07:21 PM

I pray for the latter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter 04-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9554767)
Can you explain to us what Geno and Akili have in common?

I'm not sure what this has to do with Forest Whitaker's malicious plot to make all QBs have slow eyes.

Sorter 04-03-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9554754)

http://4.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumb...3-original.gif

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-03-2013 07:42 PM

Too many coincidences for that author not to be a close-minded scumbag.

Harsh scouting report of Newton: Understandable.
Harsh scouting report of Smith: Understandable
Ranks Barkley ahead of Smith after the previous two: getting peculiar.
Compares Smith to two other flameout QBs who are both black: WTF Flag is raised.

RealSNR 04-03-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9554931)
Too many coincidences for that author not to be a close-minded scumbag.

Harsh scouting report of Newton: Understandable.
Harsh scouting report of Smith: Understandable
Ranks Barkley ahead of Smith after the previous two: getting peculiar.
Compares Smith to two other flameout QBs who are both black: WTF Flag is raised.

He once said something nice about RGIII! That's just his opinion! /patteeu

RyFo18 04-03-2013 08:10 PM

So he goes from this after Geno Smith's pro day 3 weeks ago:

Quote:

After watching West Virginia's Pro Day, NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes QB Geno Smith is "absolutely" a top 10 talent.

It must have been an amazing workout, since Mayock said Smith's draft value was between picks 20 and 32 just last week. He said that the quarterback's footwork looked much better and the intermediate throws on inside and outside breaking routes couldn't have been better. However, Mayock has concerns about Smith taking too many sacks.
To now "I couldn't take him in the top 10." WTF? I like Mayock, but he's gotten worse ever since he started getting more gigs. It's clear he's not watching nearly as much tape. Remember, Mayock liked Gabbert more than Newton too.

ModSocks 04-03-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9554814)
He hasn't been proven to be disingenuous in his scouting reports. Please stop making things up.

Both Geno and Akili are about the same height. Both Geno and Akili were throwers not runners. Speaking of disingenuous, it's disingenuous for you to say that the only thing they had in common was a last name and skin color.

I get it. You don't like this guy's opinion of Geno Christ, but that doesn't make him a racist. No one should be surprised if he ends up being right about Geno and Barkley. He's been right about both Cam and RGIII so far.

Ok, so ripping someone's character when you've never met them is acceptable analysis to you? Nolan got ridiculed for it then, and he's being ridiculed for it now.

LMAO at the height comment. Wow......"hey they're the same height! Geno is on the road to bust city"

And it's a pretty far stretch to say he was right about RGII and Cam. He's was right about some stuff, wrong about others. Hell, he's right about some stuff on the Geno analysis imo. His harsh criticisms about his work ethic and character don't seem to jive. Basically declaring him a bust and a collegiate fraud before even stepping onto the field is insane.

And there you go with that embellishment shit again, acting like everyone is a blind Geno homer. Generalize some more please while you completely miss the reason why posters want Geno drafted.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9555031)
Ok, so ripping someone's character when you've never met them is acceptable analysis to you? Nolan got ridiculed for it then, and he's being ridiculed for it now.

LMAO at the height comment. Wow......"hey they're the same height! Geno is on the road to bust city"

And it's a pretty far stretch to say he was right about RGII and Cam. He's was right about some stuff, wrong about others. Hell, he's right about some stuff on the Geno analysis imo. His harsh criticisms about his work ethic and character don't seem to jive. Basically declaring him a bust and a collegiate fraud before even stepping onto the field is insane.

And there you go with that embellishment shit again, acting like everyone is a blind Geno homer. Generalize some more please while you completely miss the reason why posters want Geno drafted.

McShay dealt with most of this today/last night, on NFL Live, when he pointed out that the reality is that these guys get a lot of the inside type stuff from trusted sources. Multiple people in the industry have defended Nawrocki as a man of integrity when it comes to this stuff, and multiple draft analysts have now publicly noted that they've heard many of the same things that Nawrocki noted, even as they distanced themselves from the "harsh" or "over the top" language. The man was show to be at least partly right on Newton, yet that's somehow being held against him, which is typical of people trying to discredit him, but also incredibly ****ing stupid.

Mecca 04-03-2013 08:31 PM

I'm pretty sure Pro Football weekly is the publication that some years ago had Brandon Browner going in the top 15 and he proceeded to go undrafted and play in the CFL before catching on in Seattle...

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9555079)
I'm pretty sure Pro Football weekly is the publication that some years ago had Brandon Browner going in the top 15 and he proceeded to go undrafted and play in the CFL before catching on in Seattle...

So what?

Mecca 04-03-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9555090)
So what?

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for their knowledge. It's one thing to miss on mocks or have guys higher than they go but you should never ever have a guy who goes undrafted in your first round if you expect to be a respected publication.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9555096)
That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for their knowledge. It's one thing to miss on mocks or have guys higher than they go but you should never ever have a guy who goes undrafted in your first round if you expect to be a respected publication.

Everybody misses, and everybody misses big. That includes teams, which is why great players are found at the bottom of drafts and as UDFAs, and guys like JaMarcus Russell go #1 overall.

Sorter 04-03-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9555096)

He did end up being an above average player, so there's that.

Ace Gunner 04-03-2013 08:57 PM

"Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can’t step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs. Not quick-eyed — many throws are pre-determined at the line, and he will hold the ball too long on some progressions. Can be streaky (see Washington). Never beat Stanford’s pro-style defense in four years."

this part on barkley i get. barkley has slow hips too and that impedes lateral quickness and his ability to scramble out or step up in the pocket.

the rest is garbled mess.

durtyrute 04-03-2013 09:30 PM

Am I the only one that wants to take Geno, but knows that if we do take him we won't win a Superbowl with him because black Qb's, for whatever mystical-magical reason, don't win Superbowls? It doesn't matter who they are or how good, some how-some ****ing way, it doesn't happen.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9555238)
Am I the only one that wants to take Geno, but knows that if we do take him we won't win a Superbowl with him because black Qb's, for whatever mystical-magical reason, don't win Superbowls? It doesn't matter who they are or how good, some how-some ****ing way, it doesn't happen.

Doug Williams not only win a Super Bowl, he went to Disney World.

Ace Gunner 04-03-2013 09:34 PM

my fear is that goodell will have them playing 7/7 flag ball when the chiefs are a contender.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9555098)
Everybody misses, and everybody misses big. That includes teams, which is why great players are found at the bottom of drafts and as UDFAs, and guys like JaMarcus Russell go #1 overall.

Awesome take, Scott!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-03-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

That's races...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter 04-03-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Small sample size of black QBs in SBs as well.

patteeu 04-03-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9554833)
Since when? Mayock's the chode muncher who always mocks us LTs.

He gave us Monroe, Okung, and Bulaga three ****ing years in a row. I don't know ANYBODY on here who has ever liked what he's said about the Chiefs and the draft.

Oh, and whaddaya know? Before the Alex Smith trade was announced, he was all about Joeckel coming here. Before he knew what the **** Albert was up to at all and when Winston was still a Chief. Joeckel Joeckel Joeckel was his thing.

During combine coverage they put up a screen shot of Chiefs #1 needs, which included QB, CB, and ILB or something like that. He looked at that and even said, "WHAT THE **** IS THIS? OFFENSIVE LINE, GOD DAMN IT! HERE, LET ME WRITE IT OUT FOR YOU *writes out OL with the yellow pen* SEE? OFFENSIVE. LINE. JESUS ****!"

We didn't listen to him and look where it got us!

Mr. Laz 04-03-2013 09:49 PM

Casserly was just saying that he had his doubts that any QB in this draft will ever be an NFL starter.

The guys he likes best are Barkley and Dysert

Sorter 04-03-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9555291)
Casserly was just saying that he had his doubts that any QB in this draft will ever be an NFL starter.

Well, I'd bet that Geno, Barkley, Glennon and Nassib all end up starting at some point.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9555306)
Well, I'd bet that Geno, Barkley, Glennon and Nassib all end up starting at some point.

I figure he was implying, or at least thinking, that they'd have to be legitimate, competent starters in order to count.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9555023)
So he goes from this after Geno Smith's pro day 3 weeks ago:

To now "I couldn't take him in the top 10." WTF? I like Mayock, but he's gotten worse ever since he started getting more gigs. It's clear he's not watching nearly as much tape. Remember, Mayock liked Gabbert more than Newton too.

Quote:

"I'm a big believer in value," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said last week when discussing the quarterbacks available in the 2013 draft. "If you have a top-10 pick, you want an All-Pro at some point. If you look at Geno Smith, he could be a top-10 pick in some people's eyes. Now for me, he and Matt Barkley to me are more like 20 to 32. That's where I feel more comfortable."
http://www.woai.com/sports/nfl/Buffa...wg72SMGaw.cspx

RealSNR 04-03-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9555290)
We didn't listen to him and look where it got us!

He'd probably still tell us to take one of these tackles.

The dude is a ****ing psycho about this position. At least when it comes to Kansas City. It's like he can't think of anything better to give us.

ChiefsCountry 04-03-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

That means lots of studs in this class if Casserly's dumbass doesn't like any of them.

RealSNR 04-03-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Casserly is a senile old fool.

And no, I'm not just saying that because of what he said about this QB class. He's always been a ****ing moron going all the way back to when he was a GM.

Pioli takes a page from his book. That should tell you something.

Sorter 04-03-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9555420)
That means lots of studs in this class if Casserly's dumbass doesn't like any of them.

This

Sorter 04-03-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9555414)

As previously stated to the extent of nausea, "draft value" is not only silly but doesn't apply to QBs.

For example, the 49ers got great "value" with Kaepernick by Mayock's definition. However, if a team had selected him in the top 15, it would have been poor value in his eyes.

Additionally, I don't really care what Mayock says about QBs. I do enjoy his analysis of DBs though.

Sorter 04-03-2013 10:58 PM

Seattle got horrible "value" in Bruce Irvin, Wagner, and Wilson. LMAO

RealSNR 04-03-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9555432)
Seattle got horrible "value" in Bruce Irvin, Wagner, and Wilson. LMAO

I think everybody said Bruce Irvin was a weird ****ing pick.

I liked Bruce Irvin a lot and thought he'd go in the middle of the 2nd or so. I did not in the least anticipate him to go in the middle 1st, though.

penbrook 04-03-2013 11:25 PM

Per Jim Corbett

Geno Smith will visit Buffalo Bills next after Wednesday spent with Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles following a very good visit with K.C. Chiefs

Sorter 04-03-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9555449)
I think everybody said Bruce Irvin was a weird ****ing pick.

I liked Bruce Irvin a lot and thought he'd go in the middle of the 2nd or so. I did not in the least anticipate him to go in the middle 1st, though.

I thought he was a late 1st-early 2nd closer to the draft.

But still, horrible value to draft a competent pass rusher at 14. Horrible value.

Dylan 04-04-2013 12:51 AM

One wonders what sources the writer could have to accurately arrive at some scathing and oddly personal conclusions. Let Nawrocki put a name to such claims. Then we have news –

Moreover, keep in mind if this blogger had any journalistic integrity he would have said, “Numerous sources ….” This way he takes it out of his hands as being the writer who has an extreme view of a player’s personality - Just keep in mind, Pro Football Weekly has to sell draft publications.

J.C. what a rip job.

penbrook 04-04-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 9555488)
One wonders what sources the writer could have to accurately arrive at some scathing and oddly personal conclusions. Let Nawrocki put a name to such claims. Then we have news –

Moreover, keep in mind if this blogger had any journalistic integrity he would have said, “Numerous sources ….” This way he takes it out of his hands as being the writer who has an extreme view of a player’s personality - Just keep in mind, Pro Football Weekly has to sell draft publications.

J.C. what a rip job.

Per Jim Corbett

Geno Smith will visit Buffalo Bills next after Wednesday spent with Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles following a very good visit with K.C. Chiefs

patteeu 04-04-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Of course it is. If you have sources who you believe telling you that the guy has character flaws, of course you include it in your analysis.

Quote:

You said he shared "nothing in common" with Akili Smith other than last name and skin color. You may not realize it, but height is actually a factor in QB evaluations and it happened to be obvious proof that your superficial take was bullshit. It's not the only similarity. As I said before, they both relied more on their arm than on their legs, but they were athletic enough that they weren't statues. They both had strong arms. And there's also the work ethic thing. How many similarities does it take before you can start looking past the color of their skin? What high profile bust would have been a better comparison for Geno Smith in your opinion?

Quote:

And it's a pretty far stretch to say he was right about RGII and Cam. He's was right about some stuff, wrong about others. Hell, he's right about some stuff on the Geno analysis imo.

It's not a stretch at all. His criticisms of Cam Newton and RGIII have all been vindicated by reality.

Quote:

His harsh criticisms about his work ethic and character don't seem to jive. Basically declaring him a bust and a collegiate fraud before even stepping onto the field is insane.

You are welcome to have your own opinion, but just because his doesn't jive with yours doesn't make him racist. And scouting reports are supposed to predict what kind of player the prospect is going to be before they ever step onto the field. That's what a scouting report is. WTF? It's hard to take you seriously when you say things like that.

patteeu 04-04-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9555418)
He'd probably still tell us to take one of these tackles.

The dude is a ****ing psycho about this position. At least when it comes to Kansas City. It's like he can't think of anything better to give us.

If we had 10 LTs, Matt Cassel could have just walked the ball into the endzone.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 09:39 AM

Peter Kings take

I think around this time of year, everyone has an opinion, and for an analyst like Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki to be highly critical of Geno Smith ("Not a student of the game, not committed or focused") is not surprising. Understand one thing: People like Nawrocki are not making this up. NFL scouts talk to people studying the draft, and they have opinions, and they understand that the analysts are going to put the opinions in their own words. Now, is Smith a bad student, or not focused? Not from what I have heard. But I probably haven't spoken to the same people Nawrocki has.

I've heard Smith is a bit reserved, not a great leader and an average decision-maker. But I've also heard he's a good worker, a smart player who puts in the time, fast, with a very good arm. Understand this: No NFL scout is going to take what Nolan Nawrocki thinks or writes to the bank. Could the team choosing him go back and do some extra homework on him after reading that? Maybe. But let's say Buffalo is considering Smith at No. 8. Do you think GM Buddy Nix is taking shortcuts on the eighth pick in the draft, and do you think coach Doug Marrone would take Smith, upon whose shoulders his future as an NFL head coach will depend, without doing full due diligence?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Pt2iMwVm

Mayocks take on Geno:

"He has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness ... 30, 32 fumbles in his career ... five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There is no internal clock, there is no feel. Deep ball accuracy, I've put reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns; wide-open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew.

The more tape I watch -- and this is common of a lot of talented, big-arm quarterbacks -- he stares down receivers and he throws the football late. So there is a lack of anticipation and timing. Now, having said all of those things, I recognize the big arm, the athletic ability; he's a great athlete, he's a natural thrower of the football. I just don't see it enough on tape. I couldn't take him in the top 10, I don't think I could take him in the top 20. This entire quarterback class on tape frustrates me."

-- Mike Mayock, the NFL Network analyst, on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Pt2tOpap

The Franchise 04-08-2013 09:48 AM

Mayock: I see four quarterbacks with first-round ability but I have not figured them out yet. I need a lot more work on Ryan Mallett. He makes too many mistakes in the pocket. Cam Newton is just this awesome talent who is further along from a mechanical perspective than Tim Tebow or Vince Young, but I don't know if he is a top-10 pick right now. I've seen four of his game tapes. I need to see six more game tapes and figure the kid out. What kind of work ethic does he have? Will he be the first one in the building?

Blaine Gabbert might be most gifted quarterback in this draft. He might be the next Sam Bradford. On the other hand, he might be the next Alex Smith. At this point, I caution people. I gave out my top-five list, but this week is when I'll review all the Senior Bowl tape and more junior tape. These lists will change and get updated. Ultimately, when we get through the combine and these players get taken off boards because the teams have told me something, then my board starts to mean something. Right now, it is like a crossword puzzle. I'm mixing pieces in and out.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9567756)
Mayock: I see four quarterbacks with first-round ability but I have not figured them out yet. I need a lot more work on Ryan Mallett. He makes too many mistakes in the pocket. Cam Newton is just this awesome talent who is further along from a mechanical perspective than Tim Tebow or Vince Young, but I don't know if he is a top-10 pick right now. I've seen four of his game tapes. I need to see six more game tapes and figure the kid out. What kind of work ethic does he have? Will he be the first one in the building?

Blaine Gabbert might be most gifted quarterback in this draft. He might be the next Sam Bradford. On the other hand, he might be the next Alex Smith. At this point, I caution people. I gave out my top-five list, but this week is when I'll review all the Senior Bowl tape and more junior tape. These lists will change and get updated. Ultimately, when we get through the combine and these players get taken off boards because the teams have told me something, then my board starts to mean something. Right now, it is like a crossword puzzle. I'm mixing pieces in and out.

ROFL Nice find. Basically, its all just a crapshoot.

patteeu 04-08-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9567756)

That was a January Mayock take so it's not really comparable to his April take on Geno Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-08-2013 11:13 AM

Yeah, I,m gonna' trust what I see, and **** these guys altogether. Thx!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By 04-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9555430)
As previously stated to the extent of nausea, "draft value" is not only silly but doesn't apply to QBs.

It applies to every player.

Quote:

For example, the 49ers got great "value" with Kaepernick by Mayock's definition. However, if a team had selected him in the top 15, it would have been poor value in his eyes.

It's pretty basic stuff. You want to draft your chosen players without spending more draft capital than necessary to do so. The Bradys, Kaepernicks, Montana's et al of the world don't change that. They reinforce it.

Quote:

Additionally, I don't really care what Mayock says about QBs. I do enjoy his analysis of DBs though.

Whatever floats your boat