ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Thor is now a woman? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285021)

Beef Supreme 07-16-2014 09:22 AM

Thor is now a woman?

http://www.thewrap.com/marvels-thor-...dio-announces/

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of Marvel's “big three” – Captain American, Iron Man and Thor – Marvel Comics will be introducing an all-new THOR, GOD OF THUNDER. No longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, a brand new female hero will emerge who will be worthy of the name THOR. Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute – she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before.”

The Franchise 07-16-2014 09:51 AM

****ing stupid.

Jamie 07-16-2014 10:26 AM

Spoiler!

Mennonite 07-16-2014 10:33 AM

A politically correct promotional stunt in a comic book used to garner media attention for a dying medium that will be undone just before the next shitty movie is released?

I don't believe it.

scorpio 07-16-2014 10:33 AM

Cap and Thor will be back to status quo before Avengers 2 comes out. Count on it.

Hammock Parties 07-16-2014 10:51 AM

nice tits thor

Kansas City Kid 07-16-2014 10:56 AM

Ace and Gary to the rescue!
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607...0&pid=15.1&P=0

Fish 07-16-2014 11:33 AM

New meaning to Hulk Smash....

ThaVirus 07-16-2014 12:45 PM

Captain Marvel is a dude. Ms. Marvel is a chick.

Frosty 07-16-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10749499)
Captain Marvel is a dude. Ms. Marvel is a chick.

Not no more...

http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/ca...570&height=881

ETA a better pic

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...904/detail.jpg

ThaVirus 07-16-2014 01:13 PM

Oh.

Well.... Shit.

Valiant 07-16-2014 01:16 PM

Marvel is doing this a lot right now.

not sure what the agenda is.

ptlyon 07-16-2014 01:17 PM

Nice cans

mikey23545 07-16-2014 01:29 PM

Thor's new, mighty weapons - THUNDER THIGHS!!!

Frosty 07-16-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 10749579)
Thor's new, mighty weapons - THUNDER THIGHS!!!

LMAO

"God of Thunder Thighs" has a nice ring to it.

Bowser 07-16-2014 02:01 PM

They did this shit before in one of those Marvel/DC crossovers...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...omanhammer.jpg

Bowser 07-16-2014 02:05 PM

And this idea is crap, btw. "Odindaughter"? "Odingirl?" Pffft.

Rausch 07-16-2014 02:22 PM

:facepalm:

DaveNull 07-16-2014 03:19 PM

I trust Jason Aaron on this one. He's been doing some really cool stuff with Southern Bastards and Original Sin.

He also lives in Prairie Villiage.

Bufkin 07-16-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10749308)
A politically correct promotional stunt in a comic book used to garner media attention for a dying medium that will be undone just before the next shitty movie is released?

I don't believe it.

A dying medium? Lol, this isn't the early 90's. Comic books have probably never been as popular as they are right now.

And this whole thing is stupid. In an attempt to take a feminist approach, they've actually managed to be pretty sexist. Instead of creating a new, interesting female character, or fleshing out an already existing character that hasn't had much time in the spotlight like Sif, they transform a guy into a woman and just keep calling her by the same name.

What a bullshit publicity stunt.

WhiteWhale 07-16-2014 06:23 PM

How many people voicing any concern or discontent about this have ever collected a Thor comic?

I mean, IMO, but who gives a ****?

Mennonite 07-16-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10749965)
A dying medium? Lol, this isn't the early 90's. Comic books have probably never been as popular as they are right now.

Comic book movies are very popular. Comic books don't sell nearly as much as they used to though.

Jamie 07-16-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10749965)

And this whole thing is stupid. In an attempt to take a feminist approach, they've actually managed to be pretty sexist. Instead of creating a new, interesting female character, or fleshing out an already existing character that hasn't had much time in the spotlight like Sif, they transform a guy into a woman and just keep calling her by the same name.

What a bullshit publicity stunt.

Your logic is exactly why I don't think there's any feminist agenda behind this. It's just an attempt to sell some comics, nothing to get all bent out of shape over. And everyone should keep in mind that 1) comics will always revert to a recognizable status quo, and 2) Thor isn't becoming a woman, a woman is going to get Thor's powers from Mjolnir.

Ultimately, this is most likely going to be a story about Thor doing something to become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir and his eventual (and inevitable) redemption. Lady Thor is probably just a spin off of that idea. I mean, un-killing Bucky seemed like a really dumb idea too, and that worked out pretty well. Not to say this will necessarily work as well as that did, but with these characters being used in such a large volume of material over the years there's an element of experimentation that goes with coming up with new stories for them.

cabletech94 07-16-2014 06:55 PM

well, if the fans have their way, it will be an eventual return to norm.

just as spiderman was "changed" for a year (or 18 months), status quo will be restored.

yes, i read sm. the thing that irritated me the most was the letters to the editor. they primarily only printed letters from fans that applauded the idea. obviously the majority (who remained out of print) won out.

Sorter 07-16-2014 07:01 PM

LMAO

Jamie 07-16-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 10750194)
well, if the fans have their way, it will be an eventual return to norm.

just as spiderman was "changed" for a year (or 18 months), status quo will be restored.

yes, i read sm. the thing that irritated me the most was the letters to the editor. they primarily only printed letters from fans that applauded the idea. obviously the majority (who remained out of print) won out.

Nothing won out or lost out. Again, these aren't changes, they're storylines. If you really believe that Marvel intended Doc Ock to be Spider-Man forever and only changed it back due to negative fan reaction then you don't understand how comics work at all.

Rausch 07-16-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10750160)
Comic book movies are very popular. Comic books don't sell nearly as much as they used to though.

Part of it is the insane price.

When I started collecting comix in 90 it was 75 cents for an issue.

Now it's anywhere from $2.75 - $3.75

That's a dramatic increase...

Mennonite 07-16-2014 07:19 PM

What amazes me is that with all of the major events taking place in the world that the news media reports these stories.

MMXcalibur 07-16-2014 07:23 PM

Ther

Mennonite 07-16-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10750234)
Part of it is the insane price.

When I started collecting comix in 90 it was 75 cents for an issue.

Now it's anywhere from $2.75 - $3.75

That's a dramatic increase...

I think they are closer to 4$ now aren't they? I read them for a few years in the early 90's myself. They were a dollar a piece then, I believe.

I actually picked up a few issues of some Marvel comics a few years ago on a whim. Two things struck me: 1) They are a lot more risqué than I remembered them. 2) How little content there was. Each issue took me about 5 minutes to read. Not a lot of entertainment for the price.

If I were ten years old again, I don't think I would give a crap about reading a superhero comic.

DaveNull 07-16-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 10750172)
Your logic is exactly why I don't think there's any feminist agenda behind this. It's just an attempt to sell some comics, nothing to get all bent out of shape over. And everyone should keep in mind that 1) comics will always revert to a recognizable status quo, and 2) Thor isn't becoming a woman, a woman is going to get Thor's powers from Mjolnir.

Ultimately, this is most likely going to be a story about Thor doing something to become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir and his eventual (and inevitable) redemption. Lady Thor is probably just a spin off of that idea. I mean, un-killing Bucky seemed like a really dumb idea too, and that worked out pretty well. Not to say this will necessarily work as well as that did, but with these characters being used in such a large volume of material over the years there's an element of experimentation that goes with coming up with new stories for them.

Owns the thread.

Valiant 07-16-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10750160)

Umm, from my understanding they are all doing great, **** even Valiant comics came back. Normal comics, grapic novels, and digital comics are doing great. Only difference is, now most people realize most comics will never be worth anything.

beach tribe 07-17-2014 01:27 AM

PCness is gonna **** up MARVEL movies now?

The son of Oden is not a woman. Not even the kind Jim Jones ****s. HE is a man.

keg in kc 07-17-2014 03:17 AM

I think it's more about creating more strong females roles, to ostensibly target a female audience. Competition for Wonder Woman. I don't think it's a coincidence it was announced on the view. It's all about creating interest outside of the core audience in the Marvel brand and, ultimately, getting butts in seats.

My guess is, as others have mentioned, it's a temporary role. Thor will eventually get (or earn) his hammer back, and this character, whoever she is, will continue under her own name in another way. It may well end up being an interesting and compelling storyline. Who knows. And we may not even see any reflection of this particular story on the big screen.

Mennonite 07-17-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10750614)
I think it's more about creating more strong females roles, to ostensibly target a female audience. Competition for Wonder Woman. I don't think it's a coincidence it was announced on the view. It's all about creating interest outside of the core audience in the Marvel brand and, ultimately, getting butts in seats.

My guess is, as others have mentioned, it's a temporary role. Thor will eventually get (or earn) his hammer back, and this character, whoever she is, will continue under her own name in another way. It may well end up being an interesting and compelling storyline. Who knows. And we may not even see any reflection of this particular story on the big screen.

You can tell comic book writers spend a lot of time time creating up new and unique female heroes. She Hulk, Spider Woman...ummm Thor Tits. I'm just waiting for Vulva-rine to join the X-Men.

DaveNull 07-17-2014 09:16 AM

There are quite a few original female characters that are leads in their own books right now.

* Velvet
* Pretty Deadly
* Black Widow
* Ms. Marvel
* Wicked + The Divine

Marvel must be in the middle of a well thought out PR push for the books. This showed up on The View of all things and Joe Quesada was on Colbert last night to talk about what's going on in Captain America. In the grand scheme of things, neither what's happening in Thor or with Steve Rogers getting really old with Falcon filling in as Cap for a while is that big of a deal to the long term readers.

It's kind of smart, really. Guardians comes out in two weeks and movies will overshadow coverage of comic books next week at the San Diego Con. Pushing the stuff in advance puts the spotlight on some big Marvel titles in front of audiences that usually wouldn't consider opening comixology or going to a comic store.

Beef Supreme 07-17-2014 10:47 AM

I don't much care one way or another, and as people have mentioned, these won't be permanent changes, and comic book writers do weird shit all the time. But making Thor a woman just seems pretty odd.

And I just imagine what kind of reaction they would get if they made Wonder Woman a man, or Blade or Bishop a white dude.

DaveNull 07-17-2014 10:57 AM

http://www.mcskelly.com/imgbin/frog-thor.jpg

Mennonite 07-17-2014 11:23 AM

Another damn publicity stunt designed to draw in so called "Amphibian American" readers.

Thanks Obama!

Reaper16 07-17-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 10750943)

And I just imagine what kind of reaction they would get if they made Wonder Woman a man, or Blade or Bishop a white dude.

That's like saying "I wonder how people would feel about the Red Cross if they gave charitable funds to wealthy people."

Just Passin' By 07-18-2014 10:40 PM

Another stupid idea

ThaVirus 07-19-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10750595)
PCness is gonna **** up MARVEL movies now?

The son of Oden is not a woman.

LMAO Shuuuuuut the **** up.

Tribal Warfare 07-19-2014 01:42 AM

This can't be a part of Earth-616