ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   UCLA Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181366)

irishjayhawk 03-09-2008 12:24 AM

UCLA Game

I just watched the Sportcenter recap of the game. Holy shit that's the worst officiating ever.

The out of bounds call was ridiculous in and of itself but then the rule book says:

"It shall be ruled out of bounds [if ball is shot over backboard from behind]"

Yet conference official said that since it was the CORNER of the backboard it counts. That's not what the rule says.

Damn what a screw job in a season of officials winning games for teams.

Nelson Muntz 03-09-2008 07:41 AM

I can see both sides of the argument on this one. That rule needs to be clarified majorly. What constitutes over the backboard; any part of the ball, half the ball or the complete ball?

Also maybe they need to add uprights to the backboards to take away any doubt. ROFL

chief52 03-09-2008 09:41 AM

I do not know why they put that rule in anyway. Why not let them throw it over from behind... It is not like it is an easy shot to make.

T-post Tom 03-09-2008 09:45 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXTQRCt8Zu4

ROYC75 03-09-2008 10:03 AM

Cal got hosed, just like Stanford did. Alot of money in LA, them refs are paid well.....

BigRock 03-09-2008 11:04 AM

The shot itself is the third stage of the screwjob. UCLA should have been called for a foul when they hacked the guy receiving the inbounds pass, but they weren't. And then the refs gave UCLA the ball when it went out of bounds, even though it certainly appeared to go off a UCLA player.

Cal should have gotten free throws. But barring that, they should have at least gotten the ball. They got neither. That the winning shot might not even have been legal is just the icing on the Raiduhs cake.

chief52 03-09-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 4622530)
Cal got hosed, just like Stanford did. Alot of money in LA, them refs are paid well.....

While the call in the UCLA/Stanford game may not have been a good one, Standford let that game get away. It should never have been able to come down to an official's call. Stanford has no one to blame but themselves.

ROYC75 03-09-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4622615)
While the call in the UCLA/Stanford game may not have been a good one, Standford let that game get away. It should never have been able to come down to an official's call. Stanford has no one to blame but themselves.

You callit as you may, the refs were horrible in letting UCLA get away with a game they should have lost.

A worst called game was Duke - UNC last night, Duke got away with murder . UNC was able to over come it, but it was one of the worst, roughest games I have ever saw.

chief52 03-09-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 4622721)
You callit as you may, the refs were horrible in letting UCLA get away with a game they should have lost.

Did you just see the highlight of the call or did you see or read about the entire game? Stanford was up by 14. The refs did not take that lead away. Stanford let it slip away. Stanford letting UCLA back into the game is what cost them the game. Not the officials. If you let a lead like that go you have no one to blame but yourself.

Spott 03-09-2008 01:33 PM

That was definitely from behind the basket. Didn't Larry Bird do a shot like that in the NBA back in the early 80's?

BWillie 03-09-2008 04:19 PM

I think they should remove the rule from NBA and college too, but the fact is the rule remains so you must enforce it. UCLA should of lost to games in a row right now and be a #2 seed.

I really think KU is looking inside from the outside right now for a #1 seed. Unless someone stumbles ahead of them..the #1 seeds are going to be UNC, Memphis, Tennessee and UCLA in that order. Tennessee is #1 RPI, no way they don't get a #1 seed. KU has no big wins this year as of yet. Best team we have beat is K-State.

Sure-Oz 03-09-2008 04:53 PM

Carl paid the refs jared allens money

ROYC75 03-09-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4622724)
Did you just see the highlight of the call or did you see or read about the entire game? Stanford was up by 14. The refs did not take that lead away. Stanford let it slip away. Stanford letting UCLA back into the game is what cost them the game. Not the officials. If you let a lead like that go you have no one to blame but yourself.

I watched both games.......... yes Stanford turned cold in the end, but UCLA and the refs had alot to do with that....... fouls not called, shooting fouls kills a team when the defense gets away with it.

UCLA should have lost both games..... period, nothing less. But it is what it is,here lately UCLA has been playing soft, teams are hanging with them.

Nelson Muntz 03-10-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4622724)

Well here's another example for you. Lets say the Chiefs are leading by 34 points in a Super Bowl at the start of the fourth quarter and give up 4 touchdowns in that fourth quarter leading up to this play with 1 minute left. Croyle steps back to throw and before the ball gets to the reciever, a db clearly levels the reciever while the safety picks the ball off and returns it for a touchdown, but theres no penalty called. I agree the Chiefs should have never been in that position, but is it their fault the officials missed a blatant PI call?

schneider221 03-10-2008 03:50 AM

what is funny is that the pac 10's commish said the ref's explanation was that he knew the rules but thought it was to close of a call to reverse the decision at the end of a game. that is just a crap, i would rather have a ref admit he didn't know the correct ruling then someone saying it was to close to reverse but it was close enough to give someone a loss.

but really this is just a small blip in what has been apparent all year and that is college basketball officiating is terrible right now and it is going to ruin the game if they don't stress getting better officials out there.