ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How did 2012 treat you? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268053)

Rain Man 12-26-2012 01:06 PM

How did 2012 treat you?

Considering all elements of your life, how did 2012 treat you?

Poll to follow, but it'll take a few minutes. Take this time to think about all of the celebrities we've lost in 2012.

ThaVirus 12-26-2012 01:07 PM

In before poll....?

Rasputin 12-26-2012 01:12 PM

The celebrities that matter did not die. In before poll.

Ace Gunner 12-26-2012 01:16 PM

It seems every year I give out bonuses to my employees, I do enjoy that, but.. This is the first year I've been able to give myself a bonus check since Y2K, so I had a good ending to a tumultuous year.

Discuss Thrower 12-26-2012 01:22 PM

Pretty bad. I graduated college and a quasi job, but my personal decision making has been appalling. I'm legitimately ashamed of my actions over the last 12 months.

But at least I've been forced to think and had several epiphanies about my future so that's good.

In58men 12-26-2012 01:23 PM

Not bad at all. Got engaged, job promotion and an autograph DT jersey I've always wanted.

keg in kc 12-26-2012 01:24 PM

Worst year of my life to date. It was like 365 days of Murphy's Law. Working towards better things in 2013.

Rasputin 12-26-2012 01:29 PM

I am waiting on the poll (take your time MR. Rain Man) for me to decide what kind of year I had.

Ebolapox 12-26-2012 01:30 PM

pretty well, actually.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-26-2012 01:31 PM

Not good due to my own actions.

KurtCobain 12-26-2012 01:31 PM

Honestly probably the second worst year of my life behind 2008. Maybe even as bad as 2008. But as I spend the last week if this horrible year looking forward, I think 2013 could be spectacular.

KCFalcon59 12-26-2012 01:31 PM

Crap!

Graystoke 12-26-2012 01:32 PM

If you put it all down on paper 2012 was pure suckage.
But I feel ok about it. Things can always be worse, and I am an optimist at heart.
Cheers to 2013!

Rasputin 12-26-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9241889)
Honestly probably the second worst year of my life behind 2008. Maybe even as bad as 2008. But as I spend the last week if this horrible year looking forward, I think 2013 could be spectacular.

2008 2009 & 2010 can kiss my ass.

TEX 12-26-2012 01:38 PM

Kinda indifferent - I got a new -higher -paying job so financially things were great. However, my GF and I broke up and my mom has been in and out of the hospital so I don't really "feel" good about the year at all - not how I should at least. I really don't have any problems - as I'm blessed with my health and all the material items I want - just kind of empty. Feels like something is missing - and it is. The Holidays will do that to you.

Hoover 12-26-2012 01:38 PM

I can't complain, 2012 was a great year for me financially and personally.

Bugeater 12-26-2012 01:41 PM

Despite the ongoing turmoil with my job for the better part of the year, it was pretty damn good. Definitely ended on a high note and I'm hoping to carry the momentum into next year.

Jewish Rabbi 12-26-2012 01:44 PM

IN BEFORE POLE

Carlota69 12-26-2012 01:45 PM

2012 Sucked ASS!! Big break up to start it off with, then head games from the Ex most of the year. Finally broke from all that nastiness in July and spent a few months getting my life back in order and then tore my ACL and miniscus in Oct. I was suppose to have surgery last week, but caught a cold and now trying to reschedule. So, while 2013 is going to start off with surgery, it should be less painful than 2012 was in general.:D

RNR 12-26-2012 01:49 PM

I guess I voted first~

Rasputin 12-26-2012 01:55 PM

My expectations for 2012 were not that high, so I got to meet most of my expectations :D

GloryDayz 12-26-2012 01:57 PM

I hate the almost off-season...

Rain Man 12-26-2012 02:02 PM

Using my own poll categories:

Health - Not as good as expected, but only because I have a really good track record. I have a foot injury from running that's slowed me down, and I caught a cold this year, which makes it a down year. However, that's inconsequential and I'm lucky to be very healthy.

Fitness - Not as good as expected. I've gained a little weight this year, which slows me down. However, I'm only about 13 pounds above my ideal weight, and I'm going to fix that in 2013. I'm pretty fit overall.

Finance - This was the big winner this year. The company had record profits, and I was able to reap some of them. Very, very good year.

Family - I have a pretty stable family (both nuclear and extended), so there's not much drama. It's about the same, and that's pretty darn good.

Love Life - I went with 'better than expected'. The ongoing 20+ year marriage experiment seemed to have an up year this year.

Career Progress - I went with "about the same", but truthfully maybe I didn't accomplish what I want. The job is good, but I was hoping to branch out on some things this year and didn't really accomplish that to the scale I wanted. It was mostly status quo, and that's not the progress I was hoping for.

Inner Peace and Happiness - I think it was an up year for inner peace and happiness. I'm coming out of a trough in that area, so an up year was welcome.

Social Life - Honestly, my social life sucks, but it always has. I always want to improve it, but it's never really a priority. I'm kind of a lone wolf most of the time.

Special Projects - I think I gave myself short shrift in the poll. I said it wasn't where I wanted to be, but the truth is that I made some good progress in some areas. Sandbox is a big special project, and while we're a bit delayed relative to our goal, we made a ton of progress. I also met a huge personal goal this year that's worthy of its own thread in the next day or so, and I finished my virtual run across the U.S., as well as doing 13 half-marathons. And on top of that, we made a successful move to upgraded office space at work, which was a big deal. The more I think about it, I accomplished a lot.

Life Goals - I put 'about what I expected' on the poll. Truthfully, I need to work on this more in 2013. I've been kind of drifting for the past couple of years.

Personal Growth - I let a few things slip, but wouldn't say that I regressed. I think I was pretty much the average American in this regard, and would like to improve.

Overall Year - The whole was greater than the sum of its parts in 2012. I made a little progress in a lot of areas, made a lot of progress in a couple of areas, and really had no big setbacks. I would have to say that it was a great year for me.

listopencil 12-26-2012 02:11 PM

2011- Absolute Shit
2012- Rebound

Huffman83 12-26-2012 02:12 PM

Played some good shows, went to some good shows. Nobody I knew died (so far!). Chiefs season sucked, I was in a bad situation job wise but that cleared up. And my wife and I had a little girl in July.

More good than bad! Life is good!

beach tribe 12-26-2012 02:26 PM

Horrible, horrible year.
Probably the worst ever..... and I've seen the darker side of what the world has to offer.
True life Darren Aronofsky type shit,
Although this past year wasn't filled with that type of mental polution, it just feels worse to me because it is in contrast to the best four years of my life, which were the four previous to this one.
My son was born in 2011, and it's just a different sport when things get ugly.
It's not about me anymore. If it were, I probably wouldn't feel so shitty.
I love him so much. Everything else in my life other than him and his mom, is shit.
I hate my job. (after having the best job on earth for six years and traveling to over 15 countries all expenses paid)
I took a 50% pay cut (not counting sub contracted $) to do tech support for a ****ing dialer software company.
And to top it off I picked the Chiefs to go 10-6. I don't really have anymore to give to this team.
The only consolation is the fact that my GF, and baby's mom, is ****ing sexy as a MFer.
She is HOT.
At least I get to smile every time she gets home from work. Cause you know...she needs a shower, and somebody's gotta make sure she's clean.

1ChiefsDan 12-26-2012 02:30 PM

2012 went about as well for me as it did for the Chiefs. Unfortunately, I don't have the bright light at the end of the tunnel that the Chiefs do.

Getting laid off in May and still looking for a job has sucked major ass.

KC_Lee 12-26-2012 02:31 PM

Bad year...

2012...GTFO NOW!

SPchief 12-26-2012 02:33 PM

Where's element 10?

cdcox 12-26-2012 02:39 PM

Using Rain Man's poll categories, but I used good, medium, bad scale on some categories rather than expectations.

Health - About the same, given declining fitness below.

Fitness - Decline. Too busy/tired to exercise. Weight gain. Perpetually tired. i need to at least make sleep a bigger priority.

Finance - Good year. Best year on record, due to a big promotion in late 2011. No complaints in this category, although we had a lot of expenses.

Family - I marked it as a down tick since my daughter had some setbacks in her journey to independence. She's almost 3 years drug and alcohol free, so I'm thankful for that, but the overall feeling is down.

Love Life - Neutral. My wife and I have a strong relationship and will celebrate our 30th this year, just no reason to mark it as an exceptional year.

Career Progress - Neutral. Last year was a banner year. I just feel too busy and some priority items are getting delayed. I probably need to let go of a few more duties from an earlier time in my career.

Inner Peace and Happiness - Marked it a down tick.

Social Life - Not much of a social person and I have pushed this to a lower priority right now. I called it neutral.

Special Projects - Neutral. Sandbox is the big one. Made a lot of progress this year, but not as much as planned. See work and lack of sleep.

Life Goals - Neutral.

Personal Growth - Up tick. I'm still expanding skills and growing emotionally.

Overall Year - OK. I had one more down tick than up, but I'm very blessed and won't complain.[/QUOTE]

Iowanian 12-26-2012 02:41 PM

It's all perspective.

I'm in the pursuit of happiness.

ChiTown 12-26-2012 02:42 PM

Had my Mom not passed away, it would have been a pretty good year. But, when she passed, a lot of my spirit left me as well. I've been in a funk for nearly 6 months. Trying to get it together and move on, but Christmas was just a swift kick in the nuts of a reminder that she's gone.

keg in kc 12-26-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9241899)
just kind of empty. Feels like something is missing - and it is. The Holidays will do that to you.

True that. I'm glad they're nearly over.

Rain Man 12-26-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9241978)
Where's element 10?

It was "ability to do basic counting and arithmetic". I marked it as a down year for myself.

KurtCobain 12-26-2012 03:31 PM

I think anybody who can say that they did not get shot at school or work by a crazy person had a decent year

burt 12-26-2012 03:35 PM

Worst ****ing year of my life. (element 10)

BlackHelicopters 12-26-2012 05:01 PM

2012 was bad due to my own stupidity, on any and all levels. Everyone of the preceding 47 years was better. I was a real asshole.

lewdog 12-26-2012 08:47 PM

I dominated 2012. I voted tops in all these categories and I wasn't even lying. I hope I punch 2013 square in the mouth too.

Fat Elvis 12-26-2012 08:50 PM

My wife beat cancer. That makes it a very good year.

LiveSteam 12-26-2012 08:50 PM

It was going good tell about an hour ago. I called a prick I bricked a house for. We agreed on a bid of $12,130.00. I called tonight to tell him I need payed before 2013 starts & he informed me he was only going to pay me $9,755.00. Things went south pretty fast after that.

CHENZ A! 12-26-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9242643)
It was going good tell about an hour ago. I called a prick I bricked a house for. We agreed on a bid of $12,130.00. I called tonight to tell him I need payed before 2013 starts & he informed me he was only going to pay me $9,755.00. Things went south pretty fast after that.

I would go un-brick a $2,375 portion of his house.

kc rush 12-26-2012 09:26 PM

2008-11 were really bad years with '09 and '11 being the worst. 2012 started off poorly, but has ended well. My health hasn't been that great this year (not catastrophic though) and my psyche was in a bad place early. The good news is that I was able to find a job back here in KC. And even though I took a pay cut to come home, my wife was able to find permanent full-time work as well, so we are now a two paycheck family for the first time in years.

We were also able to move back into our home (which we had been renting out) at the beginning of the month, so we were able to have Christmas at home.

My new job has potential for growth so I am really looking forward to what comes next.

Kidd Lex 12-26-2012 09:33 PM

My career has taken off at the expense of my health, sanity, hobbies, and family life. So 2012 progressed my earnings into another stratosphere, but can I manage to stay there without continuing to sell my soul to he corporate life? 2013 commence...

LiveSteam 12-26-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 9242652)
I would go un-brick a $2,375 portion of his house.

Im going to file a lean if he still stands on that tomorrow night after I talk to him.

The house is maybe 1/2 done. It will come to a screeching halt if I file & he knows it.

kc rush 12-26-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9242642)
My wife beat cancer. That makes it a very good year.

Tremendous

CHENZ A! 12-26-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9242715)
Im going to file a lean if he still stands on that tomorrow night after I talk to him.

The house is maybe 1/2 done. It will come to a screeching halt if I file & he knows it.

Good idea, and good luck, man. I have a buddy dealing with some asshole that doesn't want to pay him, but he was trying to do the job for cash on the side, so there isn't much he can do. *lien yo

LiveSteam 12-26-2012 10:10 PM

:doh!:My spelling sucks. Your buddy is in a real pickle. I will do a cash job now & then but not if it exceeds a thousand dollars. & most masonry jobs are well over that.

Sure-Oz 12-26-2012 10:26 PM

Learned alot about myself in 2012...i expect great things in 2013. Def in a great place

crossbow 12-27-2012 07:58 AM

It is all a matter of perspective. Some would see it as good and some would see it as realy bad.

I had a massive heart attack. Was brought back from death three times during the operation. Fell into a coma for almost two weeks. Lost my job because I was placed on weight lifting restrictions by the doctors. To top it off, my dog died. Had a real life altering year.

Was told by the doctor that in his 25 years of experience he had NEVER seen a person take a beat down like I took and live through it. They called me "The miricle Man" at the hospital. I guess that is a good thing. Hell, I don't know.

El Jefe 12-27-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9243344)
It is all a matter of perspective. Some would see it as good and some would see it as realy bad.

I had a massive heart attack. Was brought back from death three times during the operation. Fell into a coma for almost two weeks. Lost my job because I was placed on weight lifting restrictions by the doctors. To top it off, my dog died. Had a real life altering year.

Was told by the doctor that in his 25 years of experience he had NEVER seen a person take a beat down like I took and live through it. They called me "The miricle Man" at the hospital. I guess that is a good thing. Hell, I don't know.

Anytime you beat death I would say that's a great thing!

boogblaster 12-27-2012 10:52 AM

Year in general was just OK .. health is gettin worse .. everyday life isnt what it used to be .. holdin on to see my grans grow up .. would like to see my ole Chiefs finally be able to contend ... thats all folks .. BOOG .....

Bearcat 12-27-2012 11:11 AM

Health - Went as expected... didn't get sick.

Fitness - Improved by working out off and on, but could be better/more consistent.

Finance - Much better than expected.

Family - Much better than the previous year... a lot less drama.

Love - Expected... can't complain when you don't try. ;)

Career - Outside of the financial aspect, it went a little better than expected... got a promotion last Spring, which has gone well.

Inner Peace and Happiness - Improved.

Social Life - Expected... people my age seem to talk a lot about prioritizing such things as they get busier with work and family, and I've pretty much done the same.

Special Projects - Not as good as expected... need to be more motivated next year and get some projects off the ground. The problem always seems to be trying not to take on everything at once and ending up where I started.

Life Goals - Expected... I plan to live forever, and it seems to be going well.

Personal Growth - I think I've experienced personal growth as far as career, social life, and family... need to do better with the special projects.

Overall Year - Great year, and while I couldn't ask for more, I know I could definitely use some of my time more wisely.

ChiTown 12-27-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 9243628)
Year in general was just OK .. health is gettin worse .. everyday life isnt what it used to be .. holdin on to see my grans grow up .. would like to see my ole Chiefs finally be able to contend ... thats all folks .. BOOG .....

Sorry to hear that, Boog. Take care of yourself, brother.

El Jefe 12-27-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 9243628)

I'm really sorry to hear that man.

Dayze 12-27-2012 12:07 PM

was good; got fired, and ended up with a WAY better job.

20008-2011 sucked balls.

KurtCobain 12-27-2012 12:08 PM

And now Mugs Up in independence is on fire.

Worst year ever.

El Jefe 12-27-2012 12:11 PM

This year was a rough year, but honestly with the things that have happened (Sandy Hook, Superstorm Sandy) I can honestly say I am thankful. We had a lot of deaths in the family (my wife's side and mine), numerous other serious issues (moms meningitis being one). My wife finally got through school and finally landed a good job. Money went up, but unexpected things (her wisdom teeth, and my teeth issues, car problems etc etc) cost us a lot of money. We both have good jobs, I have a phenomenol wife, our families are great, we have some money in the bank, I'm doing good. Wasn't a smooth year by any means, but God is good.

MagicHef 12-27-2012 02:51 PM

Lost a low paying job, ended up getting a much, much better paying, easier, and less stressful job.

However.

I started the year living in Colorado, and I now live in Texas.

Very bad year.

Rain Man 12-27-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9244074)
Lost a low paying job, ended up getting a much, much better paying, easier, and less stressful job.

However.

I started the year living in Colorado, and I now live in Texas.

Very bad year.

At least tell me it's Austin. Is it Austin?

And for your own sake, I hope it's not Houston.

Rain Man 12-27-2012 02:59 PM

While every story is different, it appears that the pattern is:

2012 was a good year overall.
CPers had a lot of personal growth.
Career progress was a high point.

However,

We fell behind in pursuing life goals.
We fell behind in completing special projects.
Our inner peace and happiness suffered a bit.

So what are we going to do about that? Perhaps instead of a fitness thread this year, we should do a "life goals" thread and work toward that goal in 2013.

MagicHef 12-27-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9244079)
At least tell me it's Austin. Is it Austin?

And for your own sake, I hope it's not Houston.

It's Houston. It's awful.

Rain Man 12-27-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9244101)
It's Houston. It's awful.

I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry, man. I'm so sorry.

MagicHef 12-27-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9244107)
I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry, man. I'm so sorry.

It wasn't like I came from Pueblo or Commerce City either, I used to live in Fort Collins.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-27-2012 05:45 PM

Probably the very worst year of my life. For the most part, I did it to myself. 2013 is in my hands.

Rain Man 12-27-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9244131)
It wasn't like I came from Pueblo or Commerce City either, I used to live in Fort Collins.

Life has been very cruel to you this year.

scho63 12-27-2012 07:00 PM

I don't want to answer 50 questions like high school but I can say that 2012 was very good and 2013 looks like a great year.

It's been over 10 years of suffering so this is a good time in life........:clap:

mlyonsd 12-27-2012 07:05 PM

2012 sucked. Thanks for reminding me.

stevieray 12-27-2012 07:15 PM

let's put it this way...2 out of 52 were great.

but.... I'm a better man for it.