ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   KCCrow's 2014 "What I Want" Final Mock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283340)

Sfeihc 05-01-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 10597653)
Better than last year when they were picking 1st overall.

Only the CHIEFS could have the #1 overall pick in the worst draft in the last 20 years.:shake:

kccrow 05-01-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10597641)
And your reasoning is what? His height?

This board has a love affair with speed. For whatever reason that is, I have no idea. That is about the only thing that separates Cooks from about 25 receivers that are equally talented, is that he runs sub 4.4.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have Cooks rated my #2 WR so it isn't like I don't like him.

Height is not the reason I love Matthews. Here is what I think about Matthews.

1. Most precise router runner I've seen on tape, runs the whole tree and takes advantage of mismatches.
2. I'm not sure how to term this, but the best hands catcher and one of the best high pointers in the draft.
3. Superb quickness out of breaks, that with #1 allow him to consistently create separation.
4. Solid long speed, with long stride ability to keep defenders behind him.
5. Great sideline awareness
6. Great ability to shield defenders and adjust to poorly thrown balls.
7. Great size and height, to create mismatches against smaller defenders and go toe-to-toe with bigger defenders.
8. Durable, and appears he will remain durable.
9. Top flight production in the SEC his entire career.
10. Good length and hand size, producing a huge catch radius coupled with great vision to take advantage of it.
11. Great strength for a wideout and solid blocking ability
12. Has shown the ability to make the toughest catches, and make catches in traffic.
13. The magic number... His mentor and cousin is the best the league has ever had play the position, and it shows in his work ethic and precision.
14. Great run after catch, YAC receiver.
15. Is productive in the red zone, a testament to his height and vertical yes.

I might could continue, but I'm sure you get the point by now. This guy has everything I look for in an elite caliber WR. I think its a mistake to overlook this kid. In that list I made, you will not find some of those traits in Brandin Cooks as much as I like the kid. Yes, size does matter, but its not the only thing.

Saccopoo 05-01-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10596830)
Yup, that's how I see it too. The value of selecting a good slot receiver later in the draft is much better than taking Cooks in the 1st when there will be several other WR prospects available with legitimate chances at being #1 WRs at the next level (Matthews, Moncrief, Latimer, Lee, Robinson, Adams, and really iffy on Benjamin but I'll throw him in the mix).

Devin Street and I think Mike Davis as well have #1 potential.

Saccopoo 05-01-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10597299)
Say Cooks and ODB are gone. Who are you going to draft now at 23? Latimer is my choice.

Dude...

That's ****ing nuts considering the level of talent in this draft.

Tell me what Latimer has over a guy like Devin Street, who could be had in the 3/4th round.

Latimer is being severely overrated.

In this draft, you are going to take a Big 10 receiver that couldn't get beyond the conference Honorable Mention team?

Nuts.

Sorter 05-01-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10597167)
Fact of the matter is, the odds stacked against the possibility of Brandin Cooks becoming a legitimate #1 WR threat in the sense that guys like Julio Jones, Megatron, AJ Green, Fitzgerald, etc are, are taller than Brandin Cooks is.

I'm going to use the same argument that everyone else uses against drafting interior linemen in the 1st round.

Great slot WRs can be found in the mid to late rounds in the draft. That's especially true in this draft which is the deepest its been in a while, especially at the WR position.

Wes Welker - UDFA HOF QBs
Victor Cruz - UDFA HOF QB
Randall Cobb - Round 2 Pick 64 HOF QB
Danny Amendola - UDFA 1 year of production + HOF QB
Lance Moore - UDFA HOF QB
Kendall Wright - 1st round pick 20
Cecil Shorts III - 4th round pick 114
Doug Baldwin - UDFA
T.Y. Hilton - 3rd round, pick 92
etc.

I think you get the picture now.

One could make arguments that Short is GT productive and Baldwin and Hilton play outside quite a bit.

Additionally, it could very well be the case that Baldwin and Hilton are also playing with HOF QBs.

Sorter 05-01-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10597299)
Say Cooks and ODB are gone. Who are you going to draft now at 23? Latimer is my choice.

ASJ

FRCDFED 05-02-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 10597701)
This board has a love affair with speed. For whatever reason that is, I have no idea. That is about the only thing that separates Cooks from about 25 receivers that are equally talented, is that he runs sub 4.4.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have Cooks rated my #2 WR so it isn't like I don't like him.

Height is not the reason I love Matthews. Here is what I think about Matthews.

1. Most precise router runner I've seen on tape, runs the whole tree and takes advantage of mismatches.
2. I'm not sure how to term this, but the best hands catcher and one of the best high pointers in the draft.
3. Superb quickness out of breaks, that with #1 allow him to consistently create separation.
4. Solid long speed, with long stride ability to keep defenders behind him.
5. Great sideline awareness
6. Great ability to shield defenders and adjust to poorly thrown balls.
7. Great size and height, to create mismatches against smaller defenders and go toe-to-toe with bigger defenders.
8. Durable, and appears he will remain durable.
9. Top flight production in the SEC his entire career.
10. Good length and hand size, producing a huge catch radius coupled with great vision to take advantage of it.
11. Great strength for a wideout and solid blocking ability
12. Has shown the ability to make the toughest catches, and make catches in traffic.
13. The magic number... His mentor and cousin is the best the league has ever had play the position, and it shows in his work ethic and precision.
14. Great run after catch, YAC receiver.
15. Is productive in the red zone, a testament to his height and vertical yes.

I might could continue, but I'm sure you get the point by now. This guy has everything I look for in an elite caliber WR. I think its a mistake to overlook this kid. In that list I made, you will not find some of those traits in Brandin Cooks as much as I like the kid. Yes, size does matter, but its not the only thing.

I've been secretly on the Matthews bandwagon for a while. If I were going to take a chance on someone it would be him. Aside from all the intangibles you mentioned, he has the pedigree. There have been others that come from NFL families that did not have successful NFL careers but for some reason the work ethic of Jerry Rice as a role model is something I'm willing to bet has been instilled in this guy. He is following in his uncles footsteps so I would think he would have something to prove. All speculation of course but I would role the dice on this guy. I wouldn't want to be known as the NFL executive that passed on the "second" Jerry Rice!

NCarlsCorner2 05-02-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10598524)
Dude...

That's ****ing nuts considering the level of talent in this draft.

Tell me what Latimer has over a guy like Devin Street, who could be had in the 3/4th round.

Latimer is being severely overrated.

In this draft, you are going to take a Big 10 receiver that couldn't get beyond the conference Honorable Mention team?

Nuts.

Cody Latimer has the Buzz Factor, plus he's a good fit for the Chief's offense.