ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dean: 'Little guy' Beisel fighting for spot (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=18203)

keg in kc 08-10-2001 12:39 AM

Dean: 'Little guy' Beisel fighting for spot

'Little guy' Beisel fighting for spot

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- As a man who has spent much of his life coaching defensive linemen, Bob Karmelowicz believes a player doesn't have to be a physically imposing monster to be an effective defensive end in the National Football League.

"A man who's giving up weight and reach can overcome that by getting the first hit and using leverage," said Karmelowicz, who has implemented a modified martial arts program as a way of enhancing footwork, leverage and the hand-fighting abilities of his Kansas City Chiefs' defensive linemen. "A little guy can defeat a bigger man if he's the low man in the battle."

Those words sound like something out of "Kung Fu." But Monty Beisel -- a rookie who will never be called "grasshopper" -- must heed them well if he is to win a roster spot with the Chiefs.

As the smallest member of Kansas City's defensive line corps, the 6-foot-3, 267-pound Beisel -- a local favorite out of Kansas State via Douglass High School -- is clearly at a disadvantage when confronted by the likes of Willie Jones, a hulking 355-pound offensive tackle who often matches up against Beisel when the Chiefs' reserves work against each other.

"Monty's giving up, what, 90 pounds (in that matchup)?" Karmelowicz said. "What he's got to do in that situation is learn to make his body work for him."

Which is exactly what Beisel, who is 10 pounds lighter than KC's next smallest end -- right-side starter Duane Clemons (278) -- is learning to do.

"Monty is very explosive, he's got good instincts and he plays with what we call upper body violence," Karmelowicz said. "He can get on you and he can get off you. He's got to learn to combine his leverage, quickness, balance and body control, which is very good.

"I can't tell you how many times I've seen him on the ground in this camp, but it isn't much. He's having a really, really good camp. Monty has made at least one play in every practice."

If you get the idea that Karmelowicz, a former college defensive lineman himself, is silently rooting for the undersized underdog in his fight for a roster spot -- well, you'll never get a coach to admit it.

It's obvious, though, that the Chiefs assistant admires the fight this former Kansas all-state running back, who was moved to the defensive line after his arrival at K-State, is waging against the bigger linemen who battle him daily.

"This year, to get in on this deal, he's going to have to be a special teams guy and a (situational) substitute," Karmelowicz said. "But it's way too early to identify what that will be. He has to work to overcome his weaknesses and utilize his strengths.

"But he's really doing pretty good, he really is."

That's what Beisel wants to believe, too.

After spending the first week of camp working with the No. 3 defense -- usually the first people to go when the first roster cut to 60 arrives -- Beisel was working with the second unit Thursday when backup Derrick Ransom needed time off.

More importantly, though, he's been working recently with the top kicking units. In the past few days, Beisel has been with the No. 1 kickoff return unit and the No. 2 punt coverage team. Earlier this week, he caught a pass from punter Dan Stryzinski when the Chiefs worked on fake punts and field goals.

"That first week they said they wanted to look at some veterans first (on special teams), but now I'm getting my chance," Beisel said. "There's a lot to learn there, but if I keep doing things well, I think good things can happen.

"I think I've been doing pretty well," Beisel added when asked to evaluate where he stood. "This is a whole different level and atmosphere, of course, and the players are much better. I just have to grow and become a better player. If I do that and keep improving my skills, I'll be all right.

"I'm definitely not the 300-pound guy coming off the edge who has a lot of weight to throw around. I'm a 265-pound guy who has to use his quickness. But I can think of examples every day, a play here or there where I've used pure speed to beat someone. I've got to get better at that."

Notes

In their second night practice of camp Thursday, the Chiefs did some specific work against things they expect to see from Washington, their opponent Sunday in the 7:30 p.m. preseason opener at Arrowhead. Coach Dick Vermeil also planned to get scout team looks in today's first workout. Kansas City teams rarely prepared specifically for a preseason opponent under either Marty Schottenheimer or Gunther Cunningham.

• Starting left cornerback Ray Crockett missed another practice Thursday while nursing a sore hamstring. Former Ram Taje Allen worked with the first unit in his absence. William Bartee, locked in a tight battle with Eric Warfield for the right corner spot, also played with the first unit Thursday.

htismaqe 08-10-2001 08:15 AM

How big is Jevon Kearse?

If Beisel is fast he'll be fine...DT beat tackles twice his size with regularity...

keg in kc 08-10-2001 08:17 AM

Kearse is something like 6'4, 265 or 270 I think.

ChiTown 08-10-2001 09:48 AM

Being a KSU Alum, I have followed Monty's play closely. He's got a couple of things really going for him:

1. His motor is always running. I can not tell you how many times I saw him chase guys clear across the field and track them down. He reminds me of a hired killer chasing his prey.

2. His quickness will definitely be an attribute. He reminds me quite a bit of Art Still. While Art was of the 6'7" 265# variety, he had a knack at closing the corner on slower and bigger tackles. The ability to beat a guy to the outside and then go back inside if necessary. Much of that is done on quickness and technique, more so than size and strength. If we see Monty play on Sunday at DE, you will see what I mean.

Unfortunately, his more natural NFL spot may be LB. He could definately use his speed and quickness as an asset in one of those positions. Much like the Pittsburgh LB, who presently has escaped my memory.......Levon Kirkland or something like that. That guys in the 6'3" 270# range, and plays like a monster. At any rate, I'm pulling for Monty to make the team, and hopefully he'll make his breaks on ST's, much like Maz.

Chi

HC_Chief 08-10-2001 09:56 AM

From last night's TC report

<i>In individual pass rushing drills, rookie Monty Beisel worked as the fifth defensive lineman with the absence of Dan Browning. <b>Beisel showed a good motor, beat guard Will Shields with a good speed rush.</b> On the next play, Shields wrapped him up in a headlock. </i>

Beating all-pro OG Will Shields with a speed rush is no easy task. I like this guy's motor... he has two speeds: fast and really fast ;)

htismaqe 08-10-2001 09:56 AM

So Beisel is basically the same size as Kearse?

He'll be fine if he does have that motor running...

keg in kc 08-10-2001 10:05 AM

I don't know that Kearse is exactly a fair (or wise) comparison to make. He was a polished blue-chipper coming out of Florida.

ChiTown 08-10-2001 10:18 AM

KEG

Good point on Kearse. Jevon was a polished Blue Chipper. He was playing at his natural position through college. Monty came in a a RB and was converted into DE. He worked into being one of the best college DE's in football by his senior season. I think his best days as a football player are still ahead of him, especially with a guy like Coach Karmelowicz working to fine tune his skills.

htismaqe 08-10-2001 10:21 AM

I wasn't comparing talent, only size...I know Kearse was a polished blue-chipper, but some made it sound like Beisel's size made it impossible for him to be good...obviously it's not impossible because Kearse is the same size...

HC_Chief 08-10-2001 10:22 AM

Can't believe nobody noticed they called <i>John</i> Browning <i>Dan</i> Browning! :)

htismaqe 08-10-2001 10:28 AM

I think they meant Dan Williams, because they mentioned Browning later. They were both sitting out due to injuries so they probably just got them mixed up.

Pitt Gorilla 08-10-2001 10:30 AM

The biggest difference between Beisel and Kearse might be reach.

alanm 08-10-2001 10:35 AM

I like to see Big 12 players earn roster spots on NFL teams. It speaks highly of the entire Big 12 and it quality of talent and coaches. But if he was anything but a ex kitty kat.;) :rolleyes: :D
A Husker Homer since "68" And proud of it!!

shakesthecat 08-10-2001 10:45 AM

I think the biggest difference between Biesel and Kearse is above the neck.
Biesel will never have Kearse' athletic ability, but he seems to be coachable. Kearse' drop-off last year was due to the fact he didn't learn anything other than a speed rush.

Big Vic shut his arse down.