ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers GoDaddy's entire network is down! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263468)

Extra Point 09-11-2012 04:56 PM

I'm having problems seeing the pictures section. It diverts me to log in, except to view the last post & page shown on the menu. What would be the prob there?

Also, once I posted, I was directed to the media section and thread titles.

DaFace 09-11-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point (Post 8902307)
I'm having problems seeing the pictures section. It diverts me to log in, except to view the last post & page shown on the menu. What would be the prob there?

Also, once I posted, I was directed to the media section and thread titles.

My post was referring to my company - not ChiefsPlanet. So no, nothing you're having trouble with on ChiefsPlanet is related to the GoDaddy issue.

vailpass 09-11-2012 05:05 PM

GoDaddy claiming they weren't hacked; it was an internal offer according to spokesperson.

AustinChief 09-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8902332)
GoDaddy claiming they weren't hacked; it was an internal offer according to spokesperson.

Could be.. of course, you should never admit to breaches... it just encourages the kiddies. So who knows.

vailpass 09-11-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8902334)
Could be.. of course, you should never admit to breaches... it just encourages the kiddies. So who knows.

That's what I was wondering. Do those of you who know the industry find this plausible or could it be damage control to maintain consumer confidence/not give the desired credit to the hackers?

AustinChief 09-11-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8902340)
That's what I was wondering. Do those of you who know the industry find this plausible or could it be damage control to maintain consumer confidence/not give the desired credit to the hackers?

It's definitely plausible. I'd say 60/40 that Godaddy is telling the truth... no way to know, nor any real reason to care much.

DaveNull 09-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8902334)

That's encouraging from the admin of this board. Especially since CP is running a version of vBulletin from 2009. And that has a thread full of folks complaining about malware infections coming in via XSS. Not making accusations...just pointing things out. Like Glen Beck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8902340)

I'm pretty sure I'd have more confidence in them if it was a breach instead of just their infrastructure taking a big dump. Saying it was an internal thing just further drives home that anyone hosting or registering with that organization is just waiting for something else bad to happen.

What I found was odd was that when this started to crop up yesterday I was able to log into the panel and confirm again that my DNS was hosted somewhere other than GoDaddy which made me unaffected. Then later in the day they just put up that parking page.

Unless the whole thing was down, they may have prevented some folks from mitigating the damage by trying to put the DNS records somewhere else.

(Yes, I know that by the time that it was all sorted that the new entries may not have propagated but whatever. That's not the point.)

vailpass 09-11-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8902400)
That's encouraging from the admin of this board. Especially since CP is running a version of vBulletin from 2009. And that has a thread full of folks complaining about malware infections coming in via XSS. Not making accusations...just pointing things out. Like Glen Beck.

I'm pretty sure I'd have more confidence in them if it was a breach instead of just their infrastructure taking a big dump. Saying it was an internal thing just further drives home that anyone hosting or registering with that organization is just waiting for something else bad to happen.

What I found was odd was that when this started to crop up yesterday I was able to log into the panel and confirm again that my DNS was hosted somewhere other than GoDaddy which made me unaffected. Then later in the day they just put up that parking page.

Unless the whole thing was down, they may have prevented some folks from mitigating the damage by trying to put the DNS records somewhere else.

(Yes, I know that by the time that it was all sorted that the new entries may not have propagated but whatever. That's not the point.)

I'm not sure I care for your attitude.

AustinChief 09-11-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Ha, trust me we are clean here. Our Vbulletin is fine... on a side note.. the new VB5 is coming soon and we'll be switching to that when it's out and stable. It's pretty bad ass.

Fish 09-12-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Come on dude... This version of vBulletin is fine. That's silly.

And the thread of folks complaining isn't from malware infections from XSS. Nobody is getting infected. It's from people posting pics from sites known to host malware. Pics are getting flagged simply because of where they came from. There's no scripting going on.

SuperChief 09-12-2012 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HostGator's response to this incident on Twitter:

Attachment 102136

Extra Point 09-12-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8903606)
Come on dude... This version of vBulletin is fine. That's silly.

And the thread of folks complaining isn't from malware infections from XSS. Nobody is getting infected. It's from people posting pics from sites known to host malware. Pics are getting flagged simply because of where they came from. There's no scripting going on.

Don't know what the deal is with my computer. Just got W7 updates, and they didn't help me. Can't get to the pictures section, just get the blank log-in page, before and after logging in.

Oh, well.

DaFace 09-12-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point (Post 8904419)
Don't know what the deal is with my computer. Just got W7 updates, and they didn't help me. Can't get to the pictures section, just get the blank log-in page, before and after logging in.

Oh, well.

Dunno, man. Have you tried a different browser or computer?