ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Kanrocksas Music Festival (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244335)

MoreLemonPledge 04-25-2011 02:13 PM

Kanrocksas Music Festival

Awful, awful name, but it's a new music festival that runs August 5-6 at Kansas Speedway in KCK. Lineup includes Muse, Eminem, The Black Keys, The Flaming Lips, The Arctic Monkeys, A Perfect Circle, Kid Cudi, Girl Talk, Flogging Molly, Jack's Mannequin, and apparently there are more that they haven't yet announced.

$179/ticket ($159 early bird) and they go on sale tomorrow. Parking and camping are free.

I figured it would be a much cheaper alternative to Outside Lands, which I was really considering going to. The lineup isn't as good, but I can deal with that since it's 20 miles from home.

Anyone else interested?

http://www.kanrocksas.com/

DMAC 04-25-2011 02:15 PM

Sorry...Kanrocksas?

MoreLemonPledge 04-25-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 7590140)
Sorry...Kanrocksas?

Yes, absolutely horrible name.

Pablo 04-25-2011 08:06 PM

I will be there. Lineup works for me.

Fish 04-25-2011 08:13 PM

Pretty solid lineup..... might be fun...

blazzin311 04-25-2011 11:08 PM

Yea that's a pretty damned solid lineup so far from top to bottom. I'm thinking I'll be back in town for this festival.

Reaper16 04-25-2011 11:11 PM

Terrible name. But I'm sort of proud of the festival because a friend of mine did the booking for the festival. She's been in the concert promotion biz for three years or so, and this is easily her biggest project yet.

Chiefspants 04-26-2011 12:15 AM

Seeing that Opeth just signed on for the Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee, (a festival which also booked Eminem and the Black Keys.) I'm going to hold a naive hope that they or Porcupine Tree will sign on for this Kanrockass extravaganza.

RockChalk 04-26-2011 08:35 AM

This lineup is sick. I'm praying that the Foo Fighters join this list since Lolla just announced they are headlining.

I will be there, not sure about the camping part though.

SuperChief 04-26-2011 09:32 AM

My gal and I are going. I think my mom (who I just went with this past summer to see Tool and Alice in Chains/Deftones) might want to go with me as well. Should be a killer time.

Molitoth 04-26-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 7591489)
Seeing that Opeth just signed on for the Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee, (a festival which also booked Eminem and the Black Keys.) I'm going to hold a naive hope that they or Porcupine Tree will sign on for this Kanrockass extravaganza.

I would probably go just to watch Porcupine Tree or Opeth! :drool: (If they were to get booked)

Otherwise, Muse is great.... and I don't mind Eminem on cd... (Live rap shows are shit).

I've seen APC live twice and they didn't impress me... (Maynard just isn't as cool and mysterious as he was back in Aenima/Lateralus days)

The rest of the lineup I could give 2 shits about.

Priest31kc 04-26-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 7592272)
I would probably go just to watch Porcupine Tree or Opeth! :drool: (If they were to get booked)

Otherwise, Muse is great.... and I don't mind Eminem on cd... (Live rap shows are shit).

I've seen APC live twice and they didn't impress me... (Maynard just isn't as cool and mysterious as he was back in Aenima/Lateralus days)

The rest of the lineup I could give 2 shits about.

You've never seen Tech N9ne live then.

Reaper16 04-26-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 7592489)
You've never seen Tech N9ne live then.

You have to admit, though, that the majority of rap shows are less than stellar. I can count on two hands the number of great rap shows I've seen from non-local acts.

NewChief 04-26-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7592818)
You have to admit, though, that the majority of rap shows are less than stellar. I can count on two hands the number of great rap shows I've seen from non-local acts.

Definitely. No clue why so few rappers can deliver decent sounding vocals outside the studio.

Reaper16 04-26-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7592903)
Definitely. No clue why so few rappers can deliver decent sounding vocals outside the studio.

Plus, a general lack of passion in a lot of shows. A lot of rappers do shows to get paid; nothing more, nothing less.

NewChief 04-26-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7592909)
Plus, a general lack of passion in a lot of shows. A lot of rappers do shows to get paid; nothing more, nothing less.

I just can't stand the indecipherable shouting into the microphone with like 3 or 4 other members of the posse alternately shouting equally indecipherable accompaniment on every other word. Even rappers that I like seem to suck live for the most part.

DMAC 04-26-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7592935)
I just can't stand the indecipherable shouting into the microphone with like 3 or 4 other members of the posse alternately shouting equally indecipherable accompaniment on every other word. Even rappers that I like seem to suck live for the most part.

Im guessing there are not many rehearsals taking place.

PunkinDrublic 04-26-2011 08:59 PM

It's no Rocklahoma.

Scott Pilgrim 04-26-2011 09:05 PM

The Arctic Monkeys maybe enough to get me to go if i dont end up going to lollapalooza

Molitoth 04-27-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7592935)

This.

You have some gangster wannabe rapper up on stage singing to a backing track with a giant posse of reeruns doubling every 4th word.

Most of the time you are witnessing them pulling up their pants, and watching the long dangling chain swing back and forth while they throw gang signs.

Now, would I love to witness an 8-Mile type rap battle? Sure.

Stanley Nickels 04-27-2011 08:15 AM

Opeth is booked August 5 in Portugal.

Stanley Nickels 04-27-2011 08:16 AM

Porcupine Tree already has their tour lined up, starting August 11. The tour will be closest to here on August 22 (StL)

DMAC 04-27-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 7594814)
Porcupine Tree already has their tour lined up, starting August 11. The tour will be closest to here on August 22 (StL)

Sweet

Stanley Nickels 04-27-2011 08:36 AM

Correction, August 23. August 22 is in Memphis

KurtCobain 04-27-2011 06:01 PM

Eminem is great live. Gives it his all. Plus he doesn't perform much so he's fresh and full of angriness.

CoMoChief 04-27-2011 08:14 PM

$180 isn't worth it considering who's all gonna perform there.

I paid $30 for my Rockfest ticket....and the band lineup is going to be much better.

Winner = Rockfest

Pablo 04-27-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 7597205)

I paid $30 for my Rockfest ticket....and the band lineup is going to be much better.

Winner = Rockfest

Jesus Christ. You don't actually believe this, do you?

Stanley Nickels 04-27-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 7597205)

Winner = Rockfest

Holy shit. I have heard it all.

KcMizzou 04-27-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7592903)

I've never seen Eminem live, but I've heard he puts on a hell of a show, and does it well.

blazzin311 06-17-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7591441)
Terrible name. But I'm sort of proud of the festival because a friend of mine did the booking for the festival. She's been in the concert promotion biz for three years or so, and this is easily her biggest project yet.

You said a friend of yours did the booking for the artists performing at the festival huh? Well I sent them (Kanrocksas) a general email inquiring on if I could get my artist booked to perform. I was told there will be more opportunities coming up for this and to stay tuned to their social networking sites for more details. Now what I'm getting at here is if you know the promoter who did the booking, is there anyway you might be comfortable sharing here email address with me? What I would then like to do is send here an EPK for my aritist, as that would be the best way to actually try getting my artist booked.

Demonpenz 06-17-2011 03:31 PM

I think the Prolific might be there as well. I like them as a kc band. chick lead singer.

Brock 08-05-2011 08:34 AM

Any ideas on where the best place to drop off concert goers and pick them up later would be? I'm not going in, I just want to let them out somewhere close to where they need to be.

DMAC 08-05-2011 08:44 AM

You can drop them off in Rocklahoma. There they can take the bus to Colorocko, then catch the train to Kanrocksas.

Brock 08-05-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 7803115)
You can drop them off in Rocklahoma. There they can take the bus to Colorocko, then catch the train to Kanrocksas.

:LOL: Thanks.

Demonpenz 08-05-2011 11:12 AM

Wyondotte laws allow a white person to be off legends campus for 14 minutes before they are murdered and killed.

kcfanXIII 03-01-2013 01:38 PM

http://vimeo.com/60835291

As someone who attended the first one, i spent that hot ass weekend at kansas speedway in 2011, i have a great memory of this show. i saw primus, the black keys, a perfect circle, muse, eminem, fitz and the tantrums, the flaming lips, and many more that i can't remember right now. it was a weekend of great music, the staff provided an excellent venue, and a great time was had by all. so needless to say i was pumped up, and ready to hear the 2013 line up. lets start with the first band they mention, fun. all i know about them is i heard them on SNL, and didn't like them. then it gets dicey as there are only a few bands i really like on this list. the avett brothers, edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros, and pretty lights are the only three bands i care to sit through. i'm let down yet again this week...

MoreLemonPledge 03-01-2013 03:11 PM

Terrible lineup. I'd rather make the trek out to Bonnaroo and spend the extra time and money.

kc rush 03-01-2013 03:38 PM

My wife really likes the band Fun, so I may get stuck going to that. Hopefully she can get one of her sisters to go with, otherwise I think I'm investing in ear plugs.

kcfanXIII 03-01-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 9455102)
My wife really likes the band Fun, so I may get stuck going to that. Hopefully she can get one of her sisters to go with, otherwise I think I'm investing in ear plugs.

you're gonna spend that much on one band? there's a few bands that i'm pretty fond of on there, but not for $175 per ticket. i'm going to wakarusa instead. better venue, the line up is better this year, and it gets me the hell out of town for a weekend.

Reaper16 03-01-2013 04:47 PM

If you like rap, then this lineup rules. Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, Killer Mike, and Action Bronson all on the same bill? That's exciting. Not to mention the R&B dynamo that is Miguel.

NewChief 03-01-2013 05:13 PM

Might as well call it Pitchfork festival.

Fish 03-01-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9455185)
you're gonna spend that much on one band? there's a few bands that i'm pretty fond of on there, but not for $175 per ticket. i'm going to wakarusa instead. better venue, the line up is better this year, and it gets me the hell out of town for a weekend.

You'd spend more on gas driving to Wakarusa these days...

Molitoth 03-01-2013 05:16 PM

Kanrapsas

NewChief 03-01-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9455185)

Enjoy beautiful Arkansas! If you pass through Fayetteville and need advice on where to eat/drink, let me know.

kcfanXIII 03-01-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9455333)
If you like rap, then this lineup rules. Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, Killer Mike, and Action Bronson all on the same bill? That's exciting. Not to mention the R&B dynamo that is Miguel.

and i think by all means if you like that music, you should go. its a great venue, and run really well. in 2011, the only time there was a bottleneck was leaving the actual racetrack after the headliners. i can't say how great that aspect of the 2011 show was. i'm simply not into these bands enough to fork over 175 and not leave town.

as for the gas to waka, well, we car pool, and it saves alot. if i have to choose, which i do, i'm choosing the woods of wakarusa over kanrocksas. had the bill been as good, in my opinion, as it was in 2011, i'd have no problem going to it instead.

kcfanXIII 03-01-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9455398)
Enjoy beautiful Arkansas! If you pass through Fayetteville and need advice on where to eat/drink, let me know.

i LOVE northwest arkansas. i'm a biker and it is heaven. mulberry mountain is such an incredible venue for a concert, just wondering how long before they start doing a weekend deal for BBB.

NewChief 03-01-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9455491)
i LOVE northwest arkansas. i'm a biker and it is heaven. mulberry mountain is such an incredible venue for a concert, just wondering how long before they start doing a weekend deal for BBB.

No clue if you ride offroad, but there is some amazing motocross terrain all around the Waka area as well. White Rock mountain is prime.

KChiefer 03-02-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9455482)
and i think by all means if you like that music, you should go. its a great venue, and run really well. in 2011, the only time there was a bottleneck was leaving the actual racetrack after the headliners. i can't say how great that aspect of the 2011 show was. i'm simply not into these bands enough to fork over 175 and not leave town.

as for the gas to waka, well, we car pool, and it saves alot. if i have to choose, which i do, i'm choosing the woods of wakarusa over kanrocksas. had the bill been as good, in my opinion, as it was in 2011, i'd have no problem going to it instead.

Never heard of Wakarusa before. The line-up looks very similar to what's often at Summercamp here in central IL. I'd swap the Summercamp line-up for Kanrocksas in a heartbeat. It's cool that Calexico's playing Wakarusa, I like their Tex-Mex sound.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oH-dh0vdTks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone going to Kanrocksas(god that hurts to even type), Yeasayer's pretty dope!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZKXujEphWS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOdtcUHLpyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveNull 03-02-2013 12:18 PM

At least it's not during the hottest weekend of the year. Sadly, the lineup isn't close to what it was the first year.