ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Expectations and Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271413)

Hammock Parties 03-23-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9524020)
Clay, if you wanted to because you are this big of a tool, you could pull up gifs of any qb in the nfl making a stupid play or ten.

Alex Smith takes a shit ton of sacks and is afraid to throw the ball down the field.

His football smarts are lacking in my estimation.

OnTheWarpath15 03-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9524023)
He'll average 10-11 starts per year, providing, roughly, slightly-above average production in these limited starts.

As he's done his entire ****ing career. This isn't a ****ing guess; it's based on a significant sample size.

What?

I mean, Jim Plunkett, for ****s sake.

DOUG WILLIAMS. DREW BREES.

IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE, DAMMIT!

Rasputin 03-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524015)
This is more of that hyperbole that seems to be all you are capable of anymore. You have no idea if Alex Smith is going to be as bad as Matt Cassel.

Hyperbole? Why should we expect anything different than how it went with Matt Casshole? I don't see how anybody can get excited to the Alex Smith trade I just don't see it.

Same as it ever was same as it ever was.

Mr. Laz 03-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9524004)
this makes no sense, just because this particular draft doesn't have perceived elite talent at certain positions like QB does not mean that there's no elite talent at any position. In fact, this years draft is supposedly pretty strong for elite talent at the offensive tackle position. This is probably why Reid is willing to trade Albert.

it makes sense, you just don't agree ... which is fine.

loochy 03-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9524012)
And then, there is the crowd like yourself, who thinks that coaching has no bearing, and that the mccarthys , charlie weis, josh mcdaniels, sean paytons of the worlds, matter not at all.....

THose are my favorites.

Coaching matters SOME. But good players will shine SOME through the adversity of a bad coach. Mediocre to bad players just drift with the flow - like Smith.

jd1020 03-23-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524021)
There were other teams interested. If he was cut we would have had to compete with them. By trading we assured we got him. You can argue that he is a bad choice (although it is way too early to know that), but if Andy Reid thinks he is the best QB available (and he apparently does) then trading instead of waiting for his release makes a lot of sense.

We had one advantage over those other teams... the #1 pick.

You know what you get with Smith. Mediocre, not good enough to win a SB, QB play. Any of the QBs in this class bring hope that they can be more than that and if they dont who cares? You aren't missing out on anything. You just come back 3-4 years later and take a chance on another college QB.

splatbass 03-23-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9524023)
He'll average 10-11 starts per year, providing, roughly, slightly-above average production in these limited starts.

As he's done his entire ****ing career. This isn't a ****ing guess; it's based on a significant sample size.

All but the last two years were with incompetent head coaches and skew the results. You can choose to include those years if you want, but I believe it is an inaccurate way to look at it.

keg in kc 03-23-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9523944)
So there is no chance that he will be good?

In the scenario that he referenced Smith throws for 3000 yards and we improve by 5 or 6 wins. Does that not qualify as good?

jd1020 03-23-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524033)
All but the last two years were with incompetent head coaches and skew the results. You can choose to include those years if you want, but I believe it is an inaccurate way to look at it.

Do you believe that Jim Mora, Tony Dungy, and John Fox are great coaches and made Peyton Manning what he is?

Hammock Parties 03-23-2013 04:48 PM

They don't skew them that much.

He was throwing for less than 200 yards a game and less than 20 TDs with and without Jim Harbaugh.

splatbass 03-23-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9524027)
Hyperbole? Why should we expect anything different than how it went with Matt Casshole?

Why wouldn't you? Expecting the same results without waiting to see isn't very smart. You are basing it on nothing but your own biases.

Spott 03-23-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524021)
There were other teams interested. If he was cut we would have had to compete with them. By trading we assured we got him. You can argue that he is a bad choice (although it is way too early to know that), but if Andy Reid thinks he is the best QB available (and he apparently does) then trading instead of waiting for his release makes a lot of sense.

8 years of mediocre play pretty much insures that it was a bad choice.

OnTheWarpath15 03-23-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9524037)
In the scenario that he referenced Smith throws for 3000 yards and we improve by 5 wins. Does that not qualify as good?

According to most of this place, "good" is wearing red, yellow and an Arrowhead on your helmet.

DeezNutz 03-23-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9524026)
What?

I mean, Jim Plunkett, for ****s sake.

DOUG WILLIAMS. DREW BREES.

IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE, DAMMIT!

Of course. Yep. Drew Brees = Alex ****ing concussion Smif.

Unbelievable the amount of garbage that has been posted to this effect, though. But I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524033)

No, the games were played, so they're being included in the analysis. Alex ****ing Smith isn't a martyr. He doesn't get the '09-'11 Cassel treatment from me.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-23-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9523962)
as an opposing fan I really don't know what to expect from kc next year. New front office, new coaching, new QB, a high degree of roster turnover. All this makes for way more questions than answers. I know what Alex Smith brings to the table but that was with the Niners, I know what Reid brings to the table but that was with Philly. Mixing the two together along with a new coaching staff hampers me from making any grand prognostications. So here you go:

8-8

So, better than last year but not a playoff team. This record reflects one thing-I have no idea what to expect and it's about as middle of the road as I can come up with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9523968)
Clark Hunt and every "true fan's" dream.

That's the stuff true fan mangina scissoring is made of.