ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do Target workers deserve a shortened Black Friday? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266718)

BossChief 11-17-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9125575)
Nah, but R8ers deserves a never-ending smorgasboard of delicious neg-rep. Won't you join me in providing for him this Holiday Season?

Why?

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125587)
Why?

He asked me to exchange nude pics and I told him I didn't roll like that

Gary 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9125577)
Problem is, more and more corporations are jumping on the "take, take, and take some more" bandwagon, and people have less options. I know...I know, they should just be happy to have a job.

I agree and saw it firsthand at Walgreens. They reported 36 years of record profits through 2011 when I left there, yet they kept squeezing the proverbial rag looking for another drop out of their employees. I have dozens of instances I could reference detailing basically employee abuse at the district level and corporate level, but the employees just took it because they didn't want to put their jobs in jeopardy.
As I said, I made my choice to work there and I made my choice to leave. I am much happier now that I can have a life with my family and actually be around to watch my kids grow up.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-17-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125587)
Why?

He started it.

I'm ****ing finishing it.:harumph:

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:18 PM

This is simply all about corporate greed. There ARE still companies out there who close for freakin Sundays, for God's sake....literally. Chik-Fil-A, and Hobby Lobby come to mind and neither is hurting for business the last I checked.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9125580)
I did the same thing. As long as you do all you can and the employees know everyone will be asked to work an equal amount it usually works out alright.

There's a few things different here. First, it sounds like there wasn't much advanced notice for Target employees.

Second, it would be different if we were talking about casual Thanksgiving day shifts. First, I don't know if you're talking about night shifts. Second, are you talking about pre-black Friday shifts? Because those working 9pm on Thanksgiving are going to have to deal with a ton of pre-black Friday bullshit.

Gary 11-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125595)
This is simply all about corporate greed. There ARE still companies out there who close for freakin Sundays, for God's sake....literally. Chik-Fil-A, and Hobby Lobby come to mind and neither is hurting for business the last I checked.

For God's sake indeed!!!

Gary 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125596)
There's a few things different here. First, it sounds like there wasn't much advanced notice for Target employees.

Second, it would be different if we were talking about casual Thanksgiving day shifts. First, I don't know if you're talking about night shifts. Second, are you talking about pre-black Friday shifts? Because those working 9pm on Thanksgiving are going to have to deal with a ton of pre-black Friday bullshit.

The last year I was at Walgreens, corporate decided to make several normally non-24 hour stores stay open 24 hours starting Xmas eve and through Xmas day. That sucked because they did not give us more than a week's notice of the decision. Thank God my employees & I had a good working relationship and we figured out a way to make it up to those that I scheduled for that overnight shift.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125539)
Um yea, you have to see patients a certain amount of times during the week to meet medicare laws if they are receiving therapy. Health care knows no breaks.

Wow, I have NEVER heard of a doctors office open on Thanksgiving let alone a physical therapists office. Emergency services and Urgent care, yes but nothing like what you described.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

How come we don't cry for the policeman, fireman, hospital worker, military member, railroad worker, etc, who has to work on Thanksgiving, but yet we cry for the Target employee?

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125595)

Honestly, more than anything, I think it's a lot more about pure insensitivity.

I would imagine (and hope) that this isn't a move by any retailer to bump up Black Friday to Thursday at 9pm. If it is, shame on them.

If they aren't, then basically, the store is going to be swamped with lurkers waiting for the clock to strike midnight. Probably a ton of workers to staff a store where a lot of people are there but not buying anything.

lewdog 11-17-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125606)
Wow, I have NEVER heard of a doctors office open on Thanksgiving let alone a physical therapists office. Emergency services and Urgent care, yes but nothing like what you described.

Yea, skilled nursing care for geriatric patients. Every one that I know of is open, lovely medicare laws.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 9125605)
The last year I was at Walgreens, corporate decided to make several normally non-24 hour stores stay open 24 hours starting Xmas eve and through Xmas day. That sucked because they did not give us more than a week's notice of the decision. Thank God my employees & I had a good working relationship and we figured out a way to make it up to those that I scheduled for that overnight shift.

Back in the day when I worked at Treasury Drug (now CVS) the store was open like 9-3. The pay was time and a half (or double) and there would usually be a ton of us asking to work that shift. I used to almost every holiday by CHOICE.

These big box greedy companies not only do not pay holiday anymore but they don't even recognize the holidays as it pertains to their employees only their customers.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125618)
Yea, skilled nursing care for geriatric patients. Every one that I know of is open, lovely medicare laws.

Well, that is different. If you are working in an assisted living facility then I think it's more like a hospital setting where it's expected and even required to have around the clock access to care. You are not talking a standard doctors office.

To Deberg's point, I think the difference is police, firefighters, EMT, hospitals, etc. provide LIFE SAVING SERVICES. They are also many times GOVERNMENT workers compensated quite handsomely for their work on holidays.

If you are going to equate buying cheap crap made in third world countries as the same level of importance then this country is even more fugged than I even imagined. And if you are, then why aren't retail workers compensated equivalent to doctors, EMT, firefighters, etc?

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9125607)
How come we don't cry for the policeman, fireman, hospital worker, military member, railroad worker, etc, who has to work on Thanksgiving, but yet we cry for the Target employee?

I don't know about railroad workers. But those are bad examples because public welfare is compromised if you don't have those people on staff. Nobody is going to die because Target wasn't open on Thanksgiving.

As we've said throughout... 1) these employees took the job with the expectation that Thanksgiving was off, and now it's not. Many people who work thanksgiving knew that when they took their job; 2) grocery stores and other retail open during the day, but with the expectation that employees can spend the night with their family. Thanksgiving is, in general, a night holiday; 3) many people will choose to work Thanksgiving to make more money. That's fine, as long as it's clear there is a choice. It doesn't feel that way here at all for Target. It sure sounds like those who choose not to work will be looked down upon; 4) we are talking about Thanksgiving hour crazy season. This isn't just opening up a store. This is asking employees to work on the holidays in one of the most intense, nightmarish shopping days of the year.