ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Jack Taylor from Grinnell College scores 138 pts in one game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266919)

dirk digler 11-21-2012 11:08 AM

Jack Taylor from Grinnell College scores 138 pts in one game

Unreal

Taylor was 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three

You can watch the game. Right here.

Quote:

Jack Taylor thought his cold shooting from the weekend was spilling into the week.

Turns out, Taylor was about to heat up.

The Grinnell College sophomore guard scored an NCAA-record 138 points during the Pioneers' 179-104 win Tuesday night against Faith Baptist Bible College in an Iowa-school Division III matchup.

"I don't think reality has really set in yet," Taylor said after the game. "I think it definitely will in the next few days. I can't really get my mind around it right now."

Taylor, a 5-10, 170-pound guard from Black River Falls, Wisconsin, shot 52-of-108 from the field, 27-of-71 from 3-point range, and 7-of-10 from the free-throw line to finish with the historic, head-shaking line of 138 points.

The 138 points passed Clarence "Bevo" Francis who held both the NCAA and collegiate scoring mark when he dropped 113 points for Rio Grande College of Ohio vs. Hillside in 1954.

"It's kind of a life-changing moment," Grinnell coach David Arseneault said.
By the end of the night, Taylor was the center of attention, not just in Iowa, but throughout country.

"Jack Taylor you deserve a shot of Jack Daniels after that performance lol...wow" Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant tweeted.

While the 138 points drew national attention, the 108 shot attempts equally stood out.

The New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony was stunned when he heard the news after his team's victory over the New Orleans Hornets.

"I never heard of nothing like that. That's like a video game," Anthony said, an incredulous look on his face. "How can you shoot 100 times, though?"

"His elbow has got to be sore," Knicks teammate Raymond Felton joked.

Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers was impressed. "That's crazy," he said. "I don't care what level you're at, you score 138 points, it's pretty insane."

Faith Baptist, located in Ankeny, Iowa, is a member of the Midwest Christian College Conference. The schedule on the school website listed the Grinnell game as an "exhibition." But according to Grinnell sports information director Ted Schultz, the game "absolutely" is official and the record will count. Schultz said because of conference rules on the number of games a team can play, Faith Baptist has to list some as exhibitions.

Schultz said Grinnell has encountered this before but did check with its conference, the Midwest, on Tuesday morning to confirm the game counted. "It's an exhibition for them, but not for us," he said.

Taylor's performance overshadowed a 70-point night for David Larsen of Faith Baptist.

Not all were impressed by the feat, however. ESPN's Stuart Scott tweeted: "Not a big fan of Jack Taylor's 138-pts in Grinnell win. He took 108-shots including 71-3's...Just say that out loud. Now say "team"!"

Things didn't start off so hot for Taylor, who missed his first four shots and began worrying his struggles from a weekend tournament had carried over into Tuesday. During the weekend, Taylor combined to shoot just 11-of-41 from the field in a pair of games.

"The coaches and my teammates wanted to get me going tonight," Taylor said.

Once he got going, Taylor never really stopped, scoring 58 points in the first half.

Taylor, who said his previous high was 48 during a high school game, didn't realize how many points he had at the half until Arseneault walked in with the stat sheet.

"I thought I had around 30 points," Taylor said. "And (then) coach came in and said I had 58. That started to make me realize that it could be a special night."

Things really began to sink in during the second half when fans began chanting Taylor's name in the closing minutes.

"I figured I probably had a lot of points at that time," he said.

Arseneault, in his 24th season at Grinnell, has started a scoring revolution with a system of rapid movement, 3-pointer free-for-alls, and substitutions swiftly moving into the game like hockey line shifts.

Grinnell is located off Interstate 80 between Cedar Rapids and Des Moines.
In 2011, Grinnell's Griffin Lentsch set an NCAA Division III single-game scoring record with 89 points in a game against Principia. Lentsch came off the bench to score seven points Tuesday.

The center of attention entering the game was getting Taylor, who finished with three rebounds in 36 minutes, back on track. He eventually did.

"He could have thrown it up with one hand and it would have gone in by the end of the game," Arseneault said.

"I am very exhausted," Taylor said.

Titty Meat 11-21-2012 11:12 AM

Dirk Digler from Chiefsplanet re-posts

mikey23545 11-21-2012 11:12 AM

How many shots did his teammates get?

Crap, you take that many shots you ought to have 138 points...

Sure-Oz 11-21-2012 11:14 AM

His teammates shot 28 total shotsl ol

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-21-2012 11:15 AM

Q

dirk digler 11-21-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9139264)
Dirk Digler from Chiefsplanet re-posts

my bad...please delete

DMAC 11-21-2012 11:17 AM

Bewbs

Shox 11-21-2012 12:36 PM

That is 3.4 shots per minute. The other team had to be jacking it up just as fast. There must have been well of 200 shots taken in game.

How about a little defense.

Amnorix 11-21-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9139442)
That is 3.4 shots per minute. The other team had to be jacking it up just as fast. There must have been well of 200 shots taken in game.

How about a little defense.

A kid on the losing team had 70 points?!?! Defense? Whazzat?

Bearcat 11-21-2012 01:03 PM

http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/boxscor...=mbball&id=575

Jenson71 11-21-2012 01:52 PM

Dick Vermeil coaches them.

durtyrute 11-21-2012 01:57 PM

That's Arena League

okoye35chiefs 11-21-2012 02:07 PM

the chiefs have only score 152 this season...

14 more points than this kid had in 1 game

jspchief 11-21-2012 03:54 PM

It's a total gimmick offense. They press and if the opponent gets it beyond half they basically concede an easy layup. The PG and 1 other guy are the only shooters, the rest just set screens.

CoMoChief 11-21-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9139898)
It's a total gimmick offense. They press and if the opponent gets it beyond half they basically concede an easy layup. The PG and 1 other guy are the only shooters, the rest just set screens.

JFC....that's a formula to get your ass kicked.