ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Colorado, kayaking, rafting, and camping advice... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260277)

Donger 06-07-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665798)
I will probably stay away from that. I am a big old wuss when it comes to cold weather and camping.

Camping really isn't my thing, but we've been pretty miserable every time we've gone. It is fine at lower elevations, but anything above 8,000 or higher, you are going to be cold at night and likely wet.

DaFace 06-07-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665796)
I was thinking about taking a train instead of driving or flying. Thought it would be cheaper then flying but it looks to be about the same price from Omaha to Denver.

That could be cool. It'll be a little more of a pain to get a rental car once you're in Denver (there are millions at the airport, and 20-30 downtown), but you can do it. Aside from that, whatever you're in the mood for.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 02:59 PM

Anyone ever try kayaking? Just wonder how difficult it is for beginners.

Donger 06-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665814)

On the river? No. On a lake, yes.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8665797)
Fly Frontier.

I was thinking it would be pretty neat to ride the train and see the state a little bit. Might just decide to drive if I can't find a cheaper price. It was like $550 for round trip on a train for 2 adults.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665796)
I was thinking about taking a train instead of driving or flying. Thought it would be cheaper then flying but it looks to be about the same price from Omaha to Denver.

I'd like to do the train at some point. And if you're coming to Denver, it drops you off right in the heart of downtown, so it's more convenient than the airport, which is located almost halfway to Omaha. You can walk to hotels and then rent a car when you're ready to leave town.

Donger 06-07-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665823)
I was thinking it would be pretty neat to ride the train and see the state a little bit. Might just decide to drive if I can't find a cheaper price. It was like $550 for round trip on a train for 2 adults.

Well, if you are going to have to rent a car if you fly or take a train, take the cost of that into account. If you are going to explore the Rockies, you'll want your own wheels.

Have you ever driven in mountains?

BigRichard 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8665829)
I'd like to do the train at some point. And if you're coming to Denver, it drops you off right in the heart of downtown, so it's more convenient than the airport, which is located almost halfway to Omaha. You can walk to hotels and then rent a car when you're ready to leave town.

That is nice to know.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8665816)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8665816)

Heh.

scorpio 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665752)
Do they have mountain bikes to rent? I have been considering buying a mountain bike just haven't done it yet.

Yeah they have bikes for rent in town. Unfortunately it looks like they don't start up the mountain biking (at least at Copper) until June 30.

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer...mer_activities

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665823)

There's virtually no passenger rail east of Denver (ie, in the mountains). Train is fun but all you're going to see is a bunch of farm land.

BigRichard 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8665832)
Well, if you are going to have to rent a car if you fly or take a train, take the cost of that into account. If you are going to explore the Rockies, you'll want your own wheels.

Have you ever driven in mountains?

No I have not.

Donger 06-07-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8665837)
There's virtually no passenger rail east of Denver (ie, in the mountains). Train is fun but all you're going to see is a bunch of farm land.

Yeah, people seem to think that the Rockies start at the Kansas border. They don't. At all. Eastern Colorado is basically Western Kansas.

Donger 06-07-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8665835)
Heh.

LMAO

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend kayaking on the Colorado.

Donger 06-07-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8665838)
No I have not.

Okay, well, I-70 can be a little hair-raising. It's three lanes each way until just past Floyd Hill, then it goes to two lanes. Do NOT get stuck behind a semi going 35 mph uphill in the right lane, but do NOT stay in the left lane. Locals really don't like it.

Oh, and don't ride your brakes.

bishop_74 06-07-2012 03:14 PM

You can get bikes everywhere out here. Be prepared to spend a bit of cash for rentals ($40-$80/day). Mountain biking is probably a better bet than Kayaking if you don't have any experience. Stay away from downhilling at the parks unless you are a serious rider. Hit me up if you are interested, and I can point you to all the good trails as I ride/hike 5-6 days out of the week typically.