ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Will KC bring the Law to town? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118214)

kc phantom 06-20-2005 11:14 AM

Will KC bring the Law to town?

Lets bring him in and get him signed. We need him here and haveing the law of probability in our favor would be a plus.

htismaqe 06-20-2005 11:22 AM

Ask Nick Athan. He's the Ty Law EXPERT.

Chiefnj 06-20-2005 11:23 AM

He can't pass a physical and hasn't indicated that he will play for league minimum. Why bother bringing him in.

Spicy McHaggis 06-20-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Ask Nick Athan. He's the Ty Law EXPERT.

Since when does sifting through Law's garbage and making up rumors while smoking pot and eating Doritos with Sadam make a person and expert?

BigRedChief 06-20-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
He can't pass a physical and hasn't indicated that he will play for league minimum. Why bother bringing him in.

Well we could mortgage the future salary cap. Give him a boatload of gauranteed money starting next year. Play for the minimum this year.

It depends on the foot. But 50% of Ty Law's foot is better than a 100% Bartee.

jidar1 06-20-2005 12:00 PM

No. Just no.

jspchief 06-20-2005 12:08 PM

1. Both he and his agent have said that he won't accept a one year contract. I don't want him for a long term contract. We spent enough money on that position with the Surtain signing. You can't put all of your eggs in that one basket. In the next few years we're going to need cap space to fill the many holes created by the age of this team.

2. Assuming he would take a one year contract, it won't be for the minimum. There are other teams that are interested. I'm not sure we can afford him at the minimum, and I know we can't afford a bidding war.

tomahawk kid 06-20-2005 12:09 PM

I'd say the chances went up with Battle's injury, but I still don't think we have the $ to sign him.

I'd say Taylor is a much stronger possibility.

BIG_DADDY 06-20-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
1. Both he and his agent have said that he won't accept a one year contract. I don't want him for a long term contract. We spent enough money on that position with the Surtain signing. You can't put all of your eggs in that one basket. In the next few years we're going to need cap space to fill the many holes created by the age of this team.

2. Assuming he would take a one year contract, it won't be for the minimum. There are other teams that are interested. I'm not sure we can afford him at the minimum, and I know we can't afford a bidding war.

Wow, who's the chick in you avy?

KC Dan 06-20-2005 12:17 PM

She looks like the Smith love interest in the movie "Hitch".

foxman 06-20-2005 12:19 PM

The guy is just now only able to run and thats only a straight line. Most teams though have moved on as far as big money deals, so he might have to settle for less than the market would normaly bring for his talent. That said, I am sure there is a lurking team that's sitting decent on cap that is just waiting for him to declare himself healthy. The Chiefs were on the short list of teams mentioned on a recent article I read about him. Maybe I can dig that up, but it doesnt change the points that have been made about him not wanting a 1 year deal and us not needing to mortgage the future more than we have.

BIG_DADDY 06-20-2005 12:20 PM

Whoever signs Law will pay too much, it sucks Battle went down.

jspchief 06-20-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan
She looks like the Smith love interest in the movie "Hitch".

Yep. Eva Mendes.

Just watched Stuck on You, and she is smokin' in that movie.

KC Dan 06-20-2005 12:22 PM

Hell Yeah!

foxman 06-20-2005 12:25 PM

Here is that article I mentioned....and it does state the Chiefs no longer have the money. I would say the Jets, or some team not mentioned that comes out of the blue....like a Seattle or someone obscure like that.

Offseason notebook: No Lawmaking yet
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
June 17, 2005

Several NFL teams are waiting patiently, but as June melts into July, Ty Law's chances of landing a lucrative contract may have evaporated.

While there hasn't been a definitive indication from Law's camp, the former Patriots cornerback could begin his second free agent tour of the offseason as early as next week. But as some league skeptics question whether Law's broken foot will be ready for a full slate of workouts in July, it's quickly becoming apparent that his shot a multi-year contract may have already passed.

"That (timing) is a concern," one league executive said Thursday. "If he could have been healthy a few weeks after he was cut (by the Patriots on Feb. 25) or at least been running, I would have been optimistic about signing him and regulating his recovery. But it's June and we don't even know what he looks like running in a straight line.

"From my experience, it's going to be the middle or end of July before he can go hard in a practice environment. That's best-case scenario. Then (training) camp opens, and there are only a few weeks to see how (the foot) reacts before the season. He could look like he's made progress in a workout, then bounce on it for two weeks and have it give him problems. Then it stretches into the regular season and who knows how long."

That viewpoint provides the context for the cautious approach NFL teams have been taking with Law, who made a handful of visits earlier this offseason but got no contract offers. Instead, teams are waiting to examine Law again in full health, and even then, he may not get the financial windfall he expects.

Law's agent, Carl Poston, has made it known that the 31-year old former Pro Bowler is going to seek a deal that puts him in line with the league's best cornerbacks – an aim that would have been accomplished had Law simply accepted New England's four-year, $26 million offer before the 2004 season.

Instead, Law turned his back on that contract, calling it a "slap in the face." But even with a great round of workouts, he may have a hard time summoning such a deal. Of the handful of teams interested in Law, all have issues that may prevent a marriage. Among them:

# Miami Dolphins – While the Dolphins may have shown the most interest of any team at this point, they clearly have reservations about Law's long-term health and aren't expected to offer him more than a one-year deal. According to past statements by Poston, Law isn't interested in such a contract.

# Kansas City Chiefs – The Chiefs were interested before they traded for Miami's Patrick Surtain, plus the team doesn't have the salary cap room to sign Law to a big deal.

# Detroit Lions – Their interest dwindled considerably after signing cornerback/safety R.W. McQuarters to a one-year deal, and on Thursday, a team official indicated that Law was out of the picture.

# Indianapolis Colts – The Colts have cap issues and could only get a deal done if an extension was worked out for running back Edgerrin James. Even then, Indianapolis is also believed to be looking at a one-year deal.

# New York Jets – Next to Miami, the Jets would be a strong possibility if cornerback Donnie Abraham decides to retire. While Abraham still hasn't made a decision, he has taken part in offseason practices and workouts with the Jets.

# Cleveland Browns – Law has a history with coach Romeo Crennel, but the Browns might be eliminated due to another issue: Kellen Winslow Jr. The Poston brothers also represent Winslow Jr., and there could be some future acrimony brewing if the Browns attempt to recoup portions of Winslow Jr.'s singing bonus because of his motorcycle accident.

Law has also drawn interest from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Pittsburgh Steelers, although both deny making any significant overtures.

For now, Law continues to work toward a return, largely avoiding the public spotlight. He did make one significant appearance last weekend, attending a party in Brookline, Mass., thrown by Patriots owner Robert Kraft. It was at that party that Law picked up his third Super Bowl ring. Such hardware goes a long way toward explaining why teams continue to wait for Law's latest prognosis, even as a shrinking calendar suggests time has run out on his financial expectations.