ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Plasma vs LCD? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277198)

sd4chiefs 10-08-2013 11:24 PM

this

https://store.sony.com/c/XBR_4K_Ultr...FWQ6QgodaloAkg

Silock 10-09-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10066051)
And as a someone who cares greatly and deeply about sound, if you purchase the "right" kit for your room, they can sound great.

I guess. I've just never heard one that sounds good to me. But then, I've become somewhat of an audio snob lately.

nstygma 10-09-2013 01:56 AM

Recently I've seen two TVs with really great pictures, an LG LED and a Samsung Plasma.
The LG also had some type of trackball remote control.
Mainly I'm judging the picture quality by color and lack of jaggies.
anyway, here's a nice little TV comparison site
http://www.tv-reviews-ratings.com/led-tv-reviews.html

Mr. Laz 10-09-2013 06:00 AM

Panasonic To Exit Plasma TV Market In March 2014
By Tyler Lee on 10/09/2013 Filed in

Earlier this year there were rumors that Panasonic would be pulling out from the plasma TV business and this was semi-confirmed when the Japanese company announced that the ZT60 would be their last plasma TV effort. Well it looks like it has been confirmed as Panasonic has since revealed that come March 2014, the Japanese company will be exiting the plasma TV market which is when the current fiscal year comes to an end. While it had been rumored to be happening, it seems that March 2014 is a little earlier than analysts had expected.

Pulling out of the plasma TV market is definitely the right call as it seems that interest in such televisions have been declining over the years. The demand has seen a drop of 21% in 2012, versus a 1% drop for LCD TVs, indicating that consumers are more interested in LCD compared to plasma. Not to mention Panasonic is currently bleeding billions of dollars, with the company announcing job cuts back in 2012 where it would see about 10,000 staff laid off. Hopefully this exit will allow Panasonic to focus on more current trends, but what do you guys think? Are you sad to see plasma TVs go?:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/10/pan...medium=twitter

KCFaninSEA 10-09-2013 06:22 AM

To me there are 3 main factors to consider when purchasing a TV. Refresh rate, black levels and can you control glare. If you can control the glare in the room you want to put your TV in I would go plasma. The refresh rate and black levels are great.

L.A. Chieffan 10-09-2013 06:32 AM

Dane I have that same exact sound bar. How do you hook up a sub to it? I've been happy with it overall except two things. One it only has optical input and two there's no output.

Chiefshrink 10-09-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 10066255)
To me there are 3 main factors to consider when purchasing a TV. Refresh rate, black levels and can you control glare. If you can control the glare in the room you want to put your TV in I would go plasma. The refresh rate and black levels are great.

This. And plasma is cheaper. Color is awesome;)

L.A. Chieffan 10-09-2013 06:38 AM

I'll be bummed when they phase out plasmas (there's a terminator joke in there)

LESs are good but nothing beats a super high end plasma in a sweet home theater room

Great Expectations 10-09-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10066051)
I can't get away with stuff like that because my wife wants things sleek in "living" rooms.

And as a someone who cares greatly and deeply about sound, if you purchase the "right" kit for your room, they can sound great.

My wife is the exact same way, in the living room I put in a vizio soundbar with a wireless sub. It sounds nearly as good as my 5.1 channel in the basement.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 10066260)
Dane I have that same exact sound bar. How do you hook up a sub to it? I've been happy with it overall except two things. One it only has optical input and two there's no output.

Really? Mine has the optical input, two analog inputs and a sub output. I literally just received it last week via Amazon. Is yours new or old?

L.A. Chieffan 10-09-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10066942)
Really? Mine has the optical input, two analog inputs and a sub output. I literally just received it last week via Amazon. Is yours new or old?

I got it about a year ago. Actually I was wrong it does also have RCA inputs but there's no outputs whatsoever. Kinda sucks for like a sub or some wireless headphones.

It's actually the vsb 202 model maybe that's why

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10066193)
I guess. I've just never heard one that sounds good to me. But then, I've become somewhat of an audio snob lately.

There are many factors at play. First and foremost, you'd need at least a 280 watt model. The larger the enclosure, the larger the speakers. You'll definitely want a six speaker version with a sub woofer out (analog wiring to a larger sub is preferred to a wireless sub).

Wall mounting makes a huge difference because of the resonance added by studs and drywall.

Now, does it compare to a Bose 5.1 system at five times the cost? No. But it can be a very effective and elegant solution.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 10066948)
I got it about a year ago. Actually I was wrong it does also have RCA inputs but there's no outputs whatsoever. Kinda sucks for like a sub or some wireless headphones.

It's actually the vsb 202 model maybe that's why

Ah, that's why. Bummer, Dude.

Mr. Plow 10-09-2013 11:22 AM

Great info in here. I'm going to be buying a new TV this Xmas.

Mr. Laz 10-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 10066255)

It's going into a room addition which has 5-foot windows on 3 sides.

Glare is always a problem until the sun goes down. That's part of the reason why i'm looking for a new television, the picture on the old one is getting weak and can't handle the glare.