ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Lone Ranger trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267563)

WV 12-12-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9201808)
Johnny Depp actually has some Native American blood in him. There is ancestry there. And many in the Native American community have embraces him and his portrayal.

That gives him more credibility than some others. Did you also have a problem with an Irishman playing Abraham Lincoln? Or an Australian playing a Spaniard with an American accent? Or an American woman playing Margaret Thatcher? What about an Englishman playing Gandhi?

And those are all pretty serious, heavy movie examples where the actor won or as nominated for an Academy Award (DDL will surely get a nod, probably another win). The Lone Ranger looks like nothing but mindless popcorn fun.

It does appear to be a mindless fun movie. I've never been a Lone Ranger fan, so it doesn't particularly interest me either. I just find it a little ridiculous that even today the Native American part of Tonto is still cast as a tan white dude instead of getting an actual native american. Sure Depp can claim some Native blood and we'll never really know, but still. I don't think you can compare it to the ones you mentioned either, they are at least the right ethnicity. It isn't a huge deal because of the type movie this is, but it is still pretty sad commentary in todays hyper sensitive world to every other race issue.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9201893)
It does appear to be a mindless fun movie. I've never been a Lone Ranger fan, so it doesn't particularly interest me either. I just find it a little ridiculous that even today the Native American part of Tonto is still cast as a tan white dude instead of getting an actual native american. Sure Depp can claim some Native blood and we'll never really know, but still. I don't think you can compare it to the ones you mentioned either, they are at least the right ethnicity. It isn't a huge deal because of the type movie this is, but it is still pretty sad commentary in todays hyper sensitive world to every other race issue.

Ben Kinglsey is Indian? Russell Crowe is Spanish? How were those guys "at least the right ethnicity?"

I guess I can see where you're coming from. But I don't think it's an issue isolated to the Native American population. Hollywood does this kind of thing all the time. I'm not saying it's right, but it's certainly nothing new.

Deberg_1990 12-12-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

What native American actor would have been as big a "sell" as Johnny Depp?

Depp was cast for purely financial reasons, no racism involved.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9202216)
What native American actor would have been as big a "sell" as Johnny Depp?

Depp was cast for purely financial reasons, no racism involved.

Exactly.

Also:
Quote:

Depp, who with his "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Rango" director Gore Verbinski is bringing the classic 1940's and 50's TV series about a western lawman and his Native American sidekick to the big screen, wants to change up the roles and give Native American Tonto the lead in the partnership. Set to play Tonto himself, Depp sees the film as an important step in remedying the way Native Americans were treated in classic TV and cinema.

"I remember watching it as a kid, with Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore, and going: 'Why is the f--ing Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do?'" Depp told Entertainment Weekly. "I liked Tonto, even at that tender age, and knew Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. That's stuck with me. And when the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to -- 'eliminate' isn't possible -- but reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head."

For Depp, it's a personal mission: he says he's part Native American, and shudders to think about the treatment the tribes received as white settlers encroached on their lands.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_859279.html

Very telling about the film itself, but also Depp's involvement and any cries of racism.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2012 11:42 AM

Hell yeah, mother****er.

But I want some ****ing William Tell Overture in my goddamn movie.

alpha_omega 12-12-2012 01:21 PM

When is the Cisco Kid trailer coming out?

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

And I hope that you realize that studios make films to earn money.

Spending $150 million dollars on a film starring an unknown Native American in the role of Tonto, just to be accurate, would be a tremendous risk and most likely, an enormous loss of money.

Again, Hollywood films aren't reality. If you want realism, watch a documentary.

durtyrute 12-12-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9200399)
So let me get this straight....they couldn't find one legitimate Native American to play Tonto? Pretty tasteless and crappy for Disney IMO.

This

Deberg_1990 02-06-2013 07:36 AM

Heres the Pre-game Super Bowl trailer in case you havent seen it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fVn9zjUqxJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 02-06-2013 09:14 AM

People need to get over this being extremely silly.

The Lone Ranger was never high art.

Deberg_1990 04-17-2013 06:57 PM

Another new trailer.......Ill probably go see this, but honestly....im just not feeling a very good vibe from this. There doesnt seem to be any real sizzle.......and why does Depp always have to play a fool or some variation on Capt. Jack??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M2QB44CV8Kg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 07-01-2013 04:27 PM

Reviews are out. Not looking too hot. Sounds bloated and kinda boring........I'll probably check it out this weekend though.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lone_ranger/

Sure-Oz 07-01-2013 05:03 PM

Not shocked that this is likely going to be a rent only.

GordonGekko 07-02-2013 02:13 AM

This thing just looked horrible from the moment I saw the first trailer. Maybe for the 50 somethings out there that enjoyed the Lone Ranger series, but definitely does not appeal to younger gens.

frankotank 07-02-2013 09:28 AM

how the hell do you cast a white guy as an Indian in the year 2013!
where's the outrage?