ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Lone Ranger trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267563)

the Talking Can 12-11-2012 09:55 AM

The Lone Ranger trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JgXGbsESUEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Brooklyn 12-11-2012 10:00 AM

Absolutely.

the Talking Can 12-11-2012 10:02 AM

i wonder what the backstory on depp's character is...the whole white guy with stereotyped halting indian speech pattern is a bit um weird...

Brock 12-11-2012 10:12 AM

Tim Burton's wife again.

Deberg_1990 12-11-2012 04:15 PM

Looks like fun...it's almost funny how they give more screen time and focus to Tonto though.....

Tribal Warfare 12-11-2012 04:20 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236954

Q

DaneMcCloud 12-11-2012 04:22 PM

Much better than the Lone Ranger & Tonto versus aliens

WV 12-11-2012 04:29 PM

So let me get this straight....they couldn't find one legitimate Native American to play Tonto? Pretty tasteless and crappy for Disney IMO.

Red Brooklyn 12-11-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9200399)
So let me get this straight....they couldn't find one legitimate Native American to play Tonto? Pretty tasteless and crappy for Disney IMO.

I think they could have. But this has always been a vehicle for Johnny Deep.

DaneMcCloud 12-11-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Because people go to movies for reality.

DMAC 12-11-2012 04:39 PM

This is bad, I loved the Lone Ranger as a kid.

I guess as long as they don't touch Flight of the Navigator, I'm fine.

007 12-11-2012 04:51 PM

That trailer does not give me a lot of hope. I was hoping they would try and avoid the tongue in cheek stuff for this movie.

Fish 12-11-2012 04:53 PM

I'm not really looking forward to this, and I can't pinpoint exactly why.

cosmo20002 12-11-2012 05:06 PM

Looks like the movie should be called "Tonto".

mnchiefsguy 12-11-2012 05:34 PM

Here's hoping this turns out to be good.

WV 12-11-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9200420)
Because people go to movies for reality.

I don't understand what you mean? You mean people will go because of Depp and wouldn't necessarily if they cast an actual Native American?

Deberg_1990 12-11-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9200627)
I don't understand what you mean? You mean people will go because of Depp and wouldn't necessarily if they cast an actual Native American?

Its a big budget studio flick. Of course they need a legit "Star" to help sell it.

This isnt meant to be a gritty realistic take on the old west. Its just fun escapism.

Bump 12-11-2012 06:16 PM

this could turn out to be good...

I'll definitely watch it.

Bump 12-11-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

ya, Johnny Depp would sell more tickets than any native american.

Every single girl in the USA just went from:

0 ****s given

to

OMG JOHNNY DEPP, REMINDS ME OF PIRATES GOTTA SEE IT

Brock 12-11-2012 06:23 PM

The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp.....not as the Lone ranger

notorious 12-11-2012 07:57 PM

They closed the scenic route north of Creede to film this piece of shit. I hope it bombs.

tk13 12-11-2012 08:10 PM

I don't think Depp playing a Native American will be a big problem... but him talking that way might be. That might become grating after a couple hours. He sounds like he walked out of a 1950's cartoon stereotype.

Jenson71 12-11-2012 08:18 PM

This is going to be a huge hit for the 14-35 year old demographic that has just been watching The Lone Ranger reruns all day long...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...O67zh4YjzrRxt5

hometeam 12-11-2012 08:41 PM

Opened this thread to say something like 'not a chance'

After viewing the trailer I say 'chance'

007 12-12-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9200983)
Opened this thread to say something like 'not a chance'

After viewing the trailer I say 'chance'

Eh, after seeing the trailer I went from 'chance' to 'not a chance'

I wanted to see this movie have a darker tone and little to no tongue in cheek.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9201603)
Eh, after seeing the trailer I went from 'chance' to 'not a chance'

I wanted to see this movie have a darker tone and little to no tongue in cheek.

That's not Disney, Bruckheimer or Verbinski.

It'll be a popcorn movie for people for the POTC crowd.

Frazod 12-12-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9200926)
I don't think Depp playing a Native American will be a big problem... but him talking that way might be. That might become grating after a couple hours. He sounds like he walked out of a 1950's cartoon stereotype.

Yeah, that's the same voice I use when I tell my decades old Indian jokes. It's great for the jokes ending with "Kemosabe you gonna die" and "But tell me, Two Dogs ****ing, why do you ask?" but for a two hour movie, I'm thinking no.

007 12-12-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9201609)
That's not Disney, Bruckheimer or Verbinski.

It'll be a popcorn movie for people for the POTC crowd.

That trailer makes me think of Wild Wild West with Captain Jack Sparrow.

mdchiefsfan 12-12-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9201643)
That trailer makes me think of Wild Wild West with Captain Jack Sparrow.

LMAO I agree.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Johnny Depp actually has some Native American blood in him. There is ancestry there. And many in the Native American community have embraces him and his portrayal.

That gives him more credibility than some others. Did you also have a problem with an Irishman playing Abraham Lincoln? Or an Australian playing a Spaniard with an American accent? Or an American woman playing Margaret Thatcher? What about an Englishman playing Gandhi?

And those are all pretty serious, heavy movie examples where the actor won or as nominated for an Academy Award (DDL will surely get a nod, probably another win). The Lone Ranger looks like nothing but mindless popcorn fun.

WV 12-12-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9201808)
Johnny Depp actually has some Native American blood in him. There is ancestry there. And many in the Native American community have embraces him and his portrayal.

That gives him more credibility than some others. Did you also have a problem with an Irishman playing Abraham Lincoln? Or an Australian playing a Spaniard with an American accent? Or an American woman playing Margaret Thatcher? What about an Englishman playing Gandhi?

And those are all pretty serious, heavy movie examples where the actor won or as nominated for an Academy Award (DDL will surely get a nod, probably another win). The Lone Ranger looks like nothing but mindless popcorn fun.

It does appear to be a mindless fun movie. I've never been a Lone Ranger fan, so it doesn't particularly interest me either. I just find it a little ridiculous that even today the Native American part of Tonto is still cast as a tan white dude instead of getting an actual native american. Sure Depp can claim some Native blood and we'll never really know, but still. I don't think you can compare it to the ones you mentioned either, they are at least the right ethnicity. It isn't a huge deal because of the type movie this is, but it is still pretty sad commentary in todays hyper sensitive world to every other race issue.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9201893)
It does appear to be a mindless fun movie. I've never been a Lone Ranger fan, so it doesn't particularly interest me either. I just find it a little ridiculous that even today the Native American part of Tonto is still cast as a tan white dude instead of getting an actual native american. Sure Depp can claim some Native blood and we'll never really know, but still. I don't think you can compare it to the ones you mentioned either, they are at least the right ethnicity. It isn't a huge deal because of the type movie this is, but it is still pretty sad commentary in todays hyper sensitive world to every other race issue.

Ben Kinglsey is Indian? Russell Crowe is Spanish? How were those guys "at least the right ethnicity?"

I guess I can see where you're coming from. But I don't think it's an issue isolated to the Native American population. Hollywood does this kind of thing all the time. I'm not saying it's right, but it's certainly nothing new.

Deberg_1990 12-12-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

What native American actor would have been as big a "sell" as Johnny Depp?

Depp was cast for purely financial reasons, no racism involved.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9202216)
What native American actor would have been as big a "sell" as Johnny Depp?

Depp was cast for purely financial reasons, no racism involved.

Exactly.

Also:
Quote:

Depp, who with his "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Rango" director Gore Verbinski is bringing the classic 1940's and 50's TV series about a western lawman and his Native American sidekick to the big screen, wants to change up the roles and give Native American Tonto the lead in the partnership. Set to play Tonto himself, Depp sees the film as an important step in remedying the way Native Americans were treated in classic TV and cinema.

"I remember watching it as a kid, with Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore, and going: 'Why is the f--ing Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do?'" Depp told Entertainment Weekly. "I liked Tonto, even at that tender age, and knew Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. That's stuck with me. And when the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to -- 'eliminate' isn't possible -- but reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head."

For Depp, it's a personal mission: he says he's part Native American, and shudders to think about the treatment the tribes received as white settlers encroached on their lands.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_859279.html

Very telling about the film itself, but also Depp's involvement and any cries of racism.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2012 11:42 AM

Hell yeah, mother****er.

But I want some ****ing William Tell Overture in my goddamn movie.

alpha_omega 12-12-2012 01:21 PM

When is the Cisco Kid trailer coming out?

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

And I hope that you realize that studios make films to earn money.

Spending $150 million dollars on a film starring an unknown Native American in the role of Tonto, just to be accurate, would be a tremendous risk and most likely, an enormous loss of money.

Again, Hollywood films aren't reality. If you want realism, watch a documentary.

durtyrute 12-12-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

This

Deberg_1990 02-06-2013 07:36 AM

Heres the Pre-game Super Bowl trailer in case you havent seen it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fVn9zjUqxJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 02-06-2013 09:14 AM

People need to get over this being extremely silly.

The Lone Ranger was never high art.

Deberg_1990 04-17-2013 06:57 PM

Another new trailer.......Ill probably go see this, but honestly....im just not feeling a very good vibe from this. There doesnt seem to be any real sizzle.......and why does Depp always have to play a fool or some variation on Capt. Jack??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M2QB44CV8Kg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 07-01-2013 04:27 PM

Reviews are out. Not looking too hot. Sounds bloated and kinda boring........I'll probably check it out this weekend though.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lone_ranger/

Sure-Oz 07-01-2013 05:03 PM

Not shocked that this is likely going to be a rent only.

GordonGekko 07-02-2013 02:13 AM

This thing just looked horrible from the moment I saw the first trailer. Maybe for the 50 somethings out there that enjoyed the Lone Ranger series, but definitely does not appeal to younger gens.

frankotank 07-02-2013 09:28 AM

how the hell do you cast a white guy as an Indian in the year 2013!
where's the outrage?

Frazod 07-02-2013 09:39 AM

Yeah, every trailer and commercial has been horribly bad. Not surprised by the awful RT score.

No desire to see this. Ever.

Chiefspants 07-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788022)
where's the outrage?

Yeah, seeing that Depp's claim that he had "Native American lineage" was proven to be inaccurate, I do not see how this is any different than using something like yellowface.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788022)
where's the outrage?

If this had been a TV show, I'd agree. But when Disney spends $250 million, they're going to cast a movie star, not an unknown.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9788042)
Yeah, every trailer and commercial has been horribly bad. Not surprised by the awful RT score.

No desire to see this. Ever.

This movie would have likely had some appeal in 1960. In 2013?

:hmmm:

I have no idea why they spent $250 to make this movie but at least they removed the bit about the aliens.

frankotank 07-02-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788092)
If this had been a TV show, I'd agree. But when Disney spends $250 million, they're going to cast a movie star, not an unknown.

http://americanindians101.files.word...r-lautner1.jpg

:shrug:

Buehler445 07-02-2013 10:58 AM

This movie looks bad, but I bet it makes a good little shot of money because Depp is in it.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank

:shrug:

That kid can't carry a $250 million dollar movie

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:07 AM

Wait, $250,000,000 to make this? What in the actual ****?

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788200)

And that's before the rebates given by New Mexico's film commission for filming it there.

Ten days in Los Angeles, three months in N.M. I have no idea why it cost so much, beyond Verbinski and Depp's quote.

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788216)
And that's before the rebates given by New Mexico's film commission for filming it there.

Ten days in Los Angesles, three months in N.M. I have no idea why it cost so much, beyond Verbinski and Depp's quote.

Jesus. No way does this cover the cost. None.

I asked my kid if her and her friends were interested in seeing it, and she scrunched up her nose telling me no. That's a pretty good litmus for young audiences.

Someone at Disney needs to be punched.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788224)
Jesus. No way does this cover the cost. None.

I asked my kid if her and her friends were interested in seeing it, and she scrunched up her nose telling me no. That's a pretty good litmus for young audiences.

Someone at Disney needs to be punched.

Well, I'm guessing that Bruckheimer and Disney believe that this movie will garner a large portion of the Pirate's audience due to the same principles. If they earn $125 domestically and $125 foreign, they're probably in the black because the N.M. rebates. But that's just a guess.

It makes no sense to me, although its hard to argue with Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Depp's track record of working together. Even Rango was a success and won an Oscar.

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788236)
Well, I'm guessing that Bruckheimer and Disney believe that this movie will garner a large portion of the Pirate's audience due to the same principles. If they earn $125 domestically and $125 foreign, they're probably in the black because the N.M. rebates. But that's just a guess.

It makes no sense to me, although its hard to argue with Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Depp's track record of working together. Even Rango was a success and won an Oscar.

True points. I was thinking that there will be no way that this covers 250 domestically.

I'm with frazod here. Never once have I watched a trailer for this and felt excited for the movie. It will be interesting to see how it is received.

frankotank 07-02-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788192)
That kid can't carry a $250 million dollar movie

yeah...you're right....but he supposedly has some NA in him. and he's not unknown. I'm personally not offended, but I'm surprised there isn't some uproar over this. back in the '50s they always had white dudes as Indians....but this is a new age.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788273)
yeah...you're right....but he supposedly has some NA in him. and he's not unknown. I'm personally not offended, but I'm surprised there isn't some uproar over this. back in the '50s they always had white dudes as Indians....but this is a new age.

For example, Lautner did a movie that was released back in 2011 that was an action/adventurer starrer. The movie cost $35 million but only made $28 million domestically. I know that surprised Lionsgate because they assumed he had a much bigger following due to the Twilight Series.

I've never seen him in anything, so I have no idea if he's a good to great actor or not. But when studios throw down $250 million, there has to be a bona fide movie star attached, unless it's a film like Avatar, in which James Cameron is the movie star along with the groundbreaking VFX.

That's a lot of jack for a feature film and appears to be completely unwarranted for a Cowboy and Indian movie.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-02-2013 11:44 AM

****in' Armie Hammer. That dude is the Matt Cassel of actors.

Frazod 07-02-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788097)
This movie would have likely had some appeal in 1960. In 2013?

:hmmm:

I have no idea why they spent $250 to make this movie but at least they removed the bit about the aliens.

IMO, they should have gone dark with it, instead of making it some family-oriented slapstick silly-assed action farce. But I guess Disney doesn't do that.

Although I doubt we'll be seeing Lone Ranger II anytime soon.

Rasputin 07-02-2013 11:55 AM

This movie looks hideous.

It just looks horrible. I'd probably watch 15 min of it at home if it were on.

I would rather watch reruns of The Lone Ranger than this movie.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9788320)
IMO, they should have gone dark with it, instead of making it some family-oriented slapstick silly-assed action farce. But I guess Disney doesn't do that.

Although I doubt we'll be seeing Lone Ranger II anytime soon.

Everyone signed a three picture deal, save Johnny, who signed a one-picture deal. If this is successful and he likes the script, he'll likely be in for a second.

But as of now, he's not contractually obligated.

Tribal Warfare 07-02-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788200)

the budget was cut also

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9788432)
the budget was cut also

It was cut at one point.

They cut out the VFX (which would have been very expensive) because originally, the story involved the Lone Ranger & Tonto versus Aliens. But with the box office failure of Cowboys and Aliens, the story was re-written. But, the budget went back up to $250 but by filming the overwhelming majority in New Mexico (which gives a 40% rebate for filming there), the producers pocketed the extra money.

Bowser 07-02-2013 02:00 PM

I actually enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens. A bit goofy, but fun.

Chiefspants 07-02-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788562)
It was cut at one point.

They cut out the VFX (which would have been very expensive) because originally, the story involved the Lone Ranger & Tonto versus Aliens. But with the box office failure of Cowboys and Aliens, the story was re-written. But, the budget went back up to $250 but by filming the overwhelming majority in New Mexico (which gives a 40% rebate for filming there), the producers pocketed the extra money.

Was it Aliens? I read it was versus werewolves (not that this would have been any better).

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788568)
I actually enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens. A bit goofy, but fun.

I tried to watch it on HBO but couldn't get through it (probably in the wrong mood). I'll definitely give it a go in the future because it's a novel concept with great actors.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9788570)
Was it Aliens? I read it was versus werewolves (not that this would have been any better).

I was told aliens but maybe they had a bunch of different alternatives/ideas floating around.

Deberg_1990 07-02-2013 03:34 PM

I'll probably check it out with my son this weekend. I'm a sucker for most of Bruckheimers slick action flicks. It's pretty obvious they are trying to recreate the PoTC magic.

keg in kc 07-02-2013 03:38 PM

If it had at any point looked like it was any good, I'd have actually been all over it. I used to watch all kinds of Lone Ranger back in the day (read: the 80s) on Disney channel. Zorro, too. Used to love Zorro. And the Swamp Fox.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADesK3Wa_D0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 07-02-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9788886)
Zorro, too. Used to love Zorro.

I thought the Zorro reboot with Banderas was excellent. Probably a prime example of how to update an old property right. The sequel wasn't that good though.

Frazod 07-02-2013 03:50 PM

The first Zorro movie with Hopkins and Banderas was entertaining - never saw the second one because it got such shitty reviews and I figured it was just a cash grab.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9788909)
The first Zorro movie with Hopkins and Banderas was entertaining - never saw the second one because it got such shitty reviews and I figured it was just a cash grab.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. The first movie was very well done, Banderas was note-perfect in that role in that he could play it tongue-in-cheek but pull of the leading man thing, and Catherine Zeta Jones was smoking hot.

Deberg_1990 07-02-2013 03:59 PM

Has anyone seen Jonah Hex? I've wanted to attempt, but heard it was bad. ,

frankotank 07-03-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9788938)

I don't have it in my shittiest movies list...but it isn't in my favorites either.
I dig comic stuff and supernatural stuff and this is both.
I thought it was worth watching.

the Talking Can 07-03-2013 11:09 AM

this movie is getting gang raped by critics

Frazod 07-03-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9788938)

I actually kind of liked it. Of course, I watched it after hearing how awful it was, so I had zero expectations going in.

silver5liter 07-03-2013 01:31 PM

I think im going to see it tomorrow. Not because I really want to. Going to the drive in with family and its picture 2 of the double header.

Bowser 07-03-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9790503)
this movie is getting gang raped by critics

24% by critics, 73% by audiences on Rotten Tomatoes.

I have zero desire to see this. None at all.