ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Timewarner Cable in KC now Offering ESPN-HD (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98240)

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU
LOL

I've done a few since then. But not many. They aren't very popular for good reason. If you're happy, that's all that counts. I think you got screwed and don't want to admit it.

DRU 09-11-2004 08:00 PM

$10/mo extra for 14 channels of the best damn picture I've ever seen. I sure took it in the a** on that one.

unlurking 09-11-2004 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I've done a few since then. But not many. They aren't very popular for good reason. If you're happy, that's all that counts. I think you got screwed and don't want to admit it.

ROFL!!!

That's like my grandma asking my why I needed power locks and windows on my vehicle. They're just a rip-off!

Then again, I guess I could just use a $15 black and white TV and save a FORTUNE vs. my 61" 16x9 widescreen. Hell, it came with a DirecTV HDTV tuner built-in for about $5000.

Guess that extra $4985 just got me screwed huh?

Craash 09-11-2004 08:01 PM

Quote:

Skip,

That's pretty harsh. IF they are unpopular, it because they still cost $299 for NEW customers. See here. Add a $1000 for the HDDVR via Directv and you have an expensive setup.

Now, lets talk cable. HD Cost Hardware cost - Nada. HD DVR cost - $10 per month. Now, in some areas (not sure about AR, when I was stationed there they did even HAVE tv ROFL ) the little dishes are a much better option for HDTV. But, in the Kanas City area, it's hard to beat TWC, which is what this tread's topic is about in the firstplace.

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU
$10/mo extra for 14 channels of the best damn picture I've ever seen. I sure took it in the a** on that one.

I believe you are forgetting the $3000+ you paid to get ready for it. Please try to keep up.

Craash 09-11-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

I believe you are forgetting the $3000+ you paid to get ready for it. Please try to keep up.

We each spend out disposable income in whatever way we choose. You can now buy a 30" HDTV for under $700.

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking
ROFL!!!

That's like my grandma asking my why I needed power locks and windows on my vehicle. They're just a rip-off!

Then again, I guess I could just use a $15 black and white TV and save a FORTUNE vs. my 61" 16x9 widescreen. Hell, it came with a DirecTV HDTV tuner built-in for about $5000.

Guess that extra $4985 just got me screwed huh?

Nice analogy. But very far from what we are talking about. You get a little better picture for a hell of a lot more money. And you paid $5000 for power locks and windows? Yes, you are a fool.

DRU 09-11-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Dude, you're crazy. I've got a 27" LCD TV that I use as my computer monitor AND my tv. HD..capture card in my computer which allows for captures...which is how I do my clips by the way...300GB of HD space, 1GB RAM, and all of that together didn't cost $3k.

Sounds like you're the one getting screwed here.

Craash 09-11-2004 08:13 PM

This came from directv's website.
---
ENJOY AN INCREDIBLE HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE

You'll see the puck, the sweat, even the seams on the curveball. You'll be moved again by your favorite movies with details you've never seen before. You'll go from ordinary to extraordinary in over two million pixels:

Enjoy 10 times the pixels of ordinary TV - clear pictures, vibrant colors and wider images.

--

Wow, 10 times. Sure seems like more than "a little better picture".

Skip, don't you have some kind of business relationship with the guys that run that website, and make that statment?

Source

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU
Dude, you're crazy. I've got a 30" LCD TV that I use as my computer monitor AND my tv. HD..capture card in my computer which allows for captures...which is how I do my clips by the way...300GB of HD space, 1GB RAM, and all of that together didn't cost $3k.

Sounds like you're the one getting screwed here.

No, I don't think I'm crazy. I think you are ignorant. Unlurking just admitted he paid $5000 for his setup and the people I've installed have paid about the same. You are a genious. You can do it for one tenth what everyone else can. If you're happy, great. I'm going back to my ballgame and won't argue with you anymore.

unlurking 09-11-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Nice analogy. But very far from what we are talking about. You get a little better picture for a hell of a lot more money. And you paid $5000 for power locks and windows? Yes, you are a fool.

OK Skip, I guess the analogy wasn't detailed enough.

To me, it's like the difference between buying a Yugo and a Chevy (notice I didn't even go Caddy here).

If you want to drive around in a piece of crap because it saves you money, fine. I myself work hard, and will treat myself to some of the luxuries in life. Since I was buying a big screen anyway, and 16x9 was an important feature for me, going HD was a minminal upgrade cost.

It didn't cost me anywhere near $3000. The non-HD systems I was looking at were all about $4500 WITHOUT a built-in DTV tuner.

unlurking 09-11-2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
The extra cost to the cable company ain't where the problem is.

I'm not gonna drop a grand or two on a new TV... just so I can watch an additional EIGHT channels that have a prettier picture. Oh, and of course, my TiVo doesn't work with HiDef, so I'd have to run the TiVo into one input on the TV, and a direct line from the HD cable box in. And, if I wanted to watch HD, I'd have to switch away from the hundreds of Tivo-enhanced channels to a mere eight channels of HD. Hopefully there's something on at that point in time I wanna see. I'm at the mercy of the schedulers at that point. And, I won't be able to pause, ff through commercials, etc.

The TiVo lovefest I understand. It's completely changed the way I watch TV. HD? A prettier picture, on a small number of channels, with an exorbinant cost for hardware. No, not even close to worth it.

You do realize that you can see "almost" every NFL game in HD with DTV this year?

Besides, HD was crowned the format of the future. If you are buying non-HD now, you should EXPECT to have to replace it. Whether you do that now, or 5 years from now, that's your choice. The truth is that you WILL.

DRU 09-11-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

No, I don't think I'm crazy. I think you are ignorant. Unlurking just admitted he paid $5000 for his setup and the people I've installed have paid about the same. You are a genious. You can do it for one tenth what everyone else can. If you're happy, great. I'm going back to my ballgame and won't argue with you anymore.
Go to www.pcconnection.com right now and take a look at the Syntax Olevia LCD TV's. 27" and 20" for under $1500.00. My computer I built myself and got all the parts from Dave at Payless Computers on Wornall Rd. He'll hook ya up if you're a frequent visitor. I'm not ignorant. I know what hardware is worth.

Craash 09-11-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
I'm not gonna drop a grand or two on a new TV...

'Delt,

I can actually understand this stance. $700, $1000, or $10,000 grand means different things to different people. If you have a fairly new TV, and you don't have any desire to replace it, I wouldn't try to talk you into it. I'm sure you spend money in areas that would have no appeal to me. Myself, I love tech stuff. Always have. This pc I'm typing on is a 925x chipset. Too new to be cost effective? You bet. Expensive? You bet. Will I replace it the first time something better comes along? You bet.

My Home Theater has a dedicated room, and close to 10 grand in electronics. I watch it once a week or so during the off season (twins, don't forget). Much more during the season.

Money, I can understand, this is totally different than coming in and arguing the tech specs of HDTV (picture quality) which is not a smart battle to pick.

Skip Towne 09-11-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craash
We each spend out disposable income in whatever way we choose. You can now buy a 30" HDTV for under $700.

And expect another $300 for the Directv receiver. The standard one is free. The HD setup is rapidly getting cheaper and cheaper. They have already milked the fools and are now having to get real as people realize it isn't all that great.