ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tips: Basement water proofing ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114038)

MOhillbilly 04-12-2005 11:53 AM

you can buy extensions to go over the ends of gutters to run the water as far from the foundation as possible. its what i did.

ROYC75 04-12-2005 11:54 AM

I have done dug and chipped enough of the wet areas, patched it with cement and sealant that I have 2 rooms temp. fixed.

The one long wall is going to be a bitch. It has cedar boards up and the bottom is mildew, moldy. I'm saving it for last.

I'm need to make a bedroom, storage room, and a living room for her to live in.

Again, 2 down and 2 to go....I just checked the one that I'm currently doing, I have 1 small leak at this time.

This is a bitch to do.

REDHOTGTO 04-12-2005 11:56 AM

I'm with Jimgaysium, i have been there for 12 years trying to dry one up. JUST MOVE !!! :cuss: :banghead:

ROYC75 04-12-2005 11:59 AM

BTA, so is the summer project. :shake:

ROYC75 04-12-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
If you'd got active water seeping in, I know of no other products that will bond in water other than roofing sealant.

That's my next step if this doesn't temp. stop it !

PastorMikH 04-12-2005 12:06 PM

I have to agree with Phil. As long as you have a downhill run to your house, you will have problem. Short of digging around and putting in a drainage system and re-tarring the foundation, you really need to get the water away from the house as soon as possible. Building up the dirt around the house is one of the first and best things to do. Also, put some long extensions on the downspouts and get them out away from the house. Sure they are a pain to mow around but the really help.

If you do put in a drainage system in around the foundation, please don't let it drain into a basement sump well. That was the setup at our first church and it worked great - until the storm knocked the power out, at which point the basement would flood every time.

PastorMikH 04-12-2005 12:09 PM

Another option is to paint the walls of your basement swimming pool blue and give your daughter an air mattress to sleep on.

:)

Chiefnj 04-12-2005 12:10 PM

You could put in a french drain that leads to a sump. Keep the sump hooked up to a battery backup in case of a power outage.

JimNasium 04-12-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO
I'm with Jimgaysium, i have been there for 12 years trying to dry one up. JUST MOVE !!! :cuss: :banghead:

Okay, this has gone on long enough. Mods, help a brutha out.
:harumph:

PastorMikH 04-12-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimGaysium
Okay, this has gone on long enough. Mods, help a brutha out.
:harumph:

ROFL ROFL

yunghungwell 04-12-2005 12:16 PM

You can always go the sump pump route. Let the water come in, but pump it out faster than it comes in. That will keep the basement dry.

Edit: Sorry if this was already mention. For some reason it took about 2 hours before this post would go through.

JimNasium 04-12-2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
ROFL ROFL

And you are a big meanie. :cuss:

:)

PastorMikH 04-12-2005 12:19 PM

Roy, after actually having to deal with the sump pump method, I would advise against it. Seriously, ours was installed profesionally and we still had problems at least 2x a year.

I would tie into the actual sewer line or run a drain pipe to a low spot away from the house to let it drain.

ROYC75 04-12-2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with Phil. As long as you have a downhill run to your house, you will have problem. Short of digging around and putting in a drainage system and re-tarring the foundation, you really need to get the water away from the house as soon as possible. Building up the dirt around the house is one of the first and best things to do. Also, put some long extensions on the downspouts and get them out away from the house. Sure they are a pain to mow around but the really help.

If you do put in a drainage system in around the foundation, please don't let it drain into a basement sump well. That was the setup at our first church and it worked great - until the storm knocked the power out, at which point the basement would flood every time.

The basement floor slopes to the drain, the drain is clear and doesn't backup on the floors at all. The walls have been treated before, I'm currently redoing them and patching where needed.

It's coming along, but damn, the patching is a bitch. I'm getting alot of dirt and tree roots when I have to dig and clean it to patch.

You can tell the walls had alot of honeycomb in it when poured.

It's a big summertime project to take care of.

Chiefnj 04-12-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Roy, after actually having to deal with the sump pump method, I would advise against it. Seriously, ours was installed profesionally and we still had problems at least 2x a year.

I would tie into the actual sewer line or run a drain pipe to a low spot away from the house to let it drain.

You shouldn't tie into the sewer line or else you risk sewage gases backup up into the house during dry periods. BOOM.