ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tips: Basement water proofing ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114038)

ROYC75 04-12-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
You shouldn't tie into the sewer line or else you risk sewage gases backup up into the house during dry periods. BOOM.

It already is and has been since the late 20's ........

Still hear and after 5 years of living here, we haven't had a problem.

Phobia 04-12-2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimGaysium
Okay, this has gone on long enough. Mods, help a brutha out.
:harumph:

In the future, name changes are gonna be PPV only. I'll take care of this one on the house.

Skip Towne 04-12-2005 12:42 PM

Have you considered moving?

JimNasium 04-12-2005 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
In the future, name changes are gonna be PPV only. I'll take care of this one on the house.

That just cost you some homebrew. I had a very nice double-chocolate stout with your name on it to. WooWoo

Phobia 04-12-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimLazium
That just cost you some homebrew. I had a very nice double-chocolate stout with your name on it to. WooWoo

Yeah - I'll bet it was gonna taste pretty good when you drank it with my name on it, too.

JimNasium 04-12-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Yeah - I'll bet it was gonna taste pretty good when you drank it with my name on it, too.

Damn, he's on to me. ROFL

ROYC75 04-12-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Have you considered moving?

I tried clicking my heels 3 times once, the devil appeared laughing his ass off at me.

e3927-b2274 04-12-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
Any of you guys had any trials at doing this ?

Other than digging up around the foundation and installing new drainage pipe,( which I intend to do when the $$ roll in )what can a guy do other than use a sealant( ref: drylock ). I have already chipped some holes out and patched with cement.

The sad part is I'm doing this now, in the rainy part of the year ( I knew I should have done this last year when it was dry )...... I have a daughter moving back in to help around the house and to help take care of my wife and mother in law, I have to get the basement ready fast.

It's an old house and the foundation was poured back in the 20's.... it looked like they used any gravel they could find, bricks, sandstone .

Make sure you have a good sump pump and well for the water to collect in. The drainage pipe is preferrable as well as the heavy sealing wrap, I forget the proper name for it. We used it on three houses in an area with a high water table, along with the sump and piping it all worked great.

A new house in my neighborhood has all three, sump inside/outside, viscous wrap (not the actual name of the stuff) and piping around the footing that feeds into the outside sump well.

e3927-b2274 04-12-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
Roy, after actually having to deal with the sump pump method, I would advise against it. Seriously, ours was installed profesionally and we still had problems at least 2x a year.

I would tie into the actual sewer line or run a drain pipe to a low spot away from the house to let it drain.

In most cities that is against the code.

ROYC75 04-12-2005 12:56 PM

I do not have a sump pump nor do I need one, the water drains out very nicely. It's the walls that leak,I need to stop the leakage and currently doing so. Just wanted to know if anybody else knew of a better way to treat it on the inside before the outside work is done.

That's all ............. :p

JimNasium 04-12-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

[SIZE=]I do not have a sump pump nor do I need one, the water drains out very nicely. It's the walls that leak,I need to stop the leakage and currently doing so. Just wanted to know if anybody else knew of a better way to treat it on the inside before the outside work is done.[/SIZE]

That's all ............. :p

Is this in your basement? Are your gutters clogged?

ROFL

redbrian 04-12-2005 01:15 PM

For treating from the inside there are two methods.

1) Chip away at the cracks (or holes), and then patch with hydraulic cement.
2) Inject the crack with hydraulic epoxy.

As to solutions, number 2 is the best way, but I don’t recall the name or manufacturer of the product. I used it some 10 years ago very effectively. It’s pumped into the crack and will actually follow the moisture filling the crack all the way to the exterior.

Now when you come to doing the outside work you need to consider whether you need to damp prop or waterproof. If you have good drainage and soil conditions, damp proofing is the way to go. That’s just a good drainage system and sealing the outside wall with something along the lines of Tamms Dehdratine 85 or a similar product.

However if you have a lot of clay in your soil and poor drainage you may need to waterproof.
This means going all the way to the footing to install the drainage system and in extreme cases installing a second drainage system halfway up the wall.
You will then need to install a membrane to the exterior wall this can be done with either MIRADRI 860 (a peel and stick, pain in the ass) or MIRADrain 6000 which is a heavy duty drain system for the wall.

The cost is around $5.25 a gallon for the Dehydratine which will cover about 25 sq yds a gal.

A 200 Sq ft roll of MiraDri 860 costs about $70

MiraDrain 6000 cost $0.75 a sq ft.

Good luck it’s a big job but best done by the home owner as most Waterproofing Companies are out to rip you off (worked for one for about 6 months).

crossbow 04-12-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

The basement floor slopes to the drain, the drain is clear and doesn't backup on the floors at all. The walls have been treated before, I'm currently redoing them and patching where needed.

It's coming along, but damn, the patching is a bitch. I'm getting alot of dirt and tree roots when I have to dig and clean it to patch.

You can tell the walls had alot of honeycomb in it when poured.

It's a big summertime project to take care of.

Marine epoxy will stop most water leakes.

Iowanian 04-12-2005 01:24 PM

III, put your daddy back on the phone

ROYC75 04-12-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
III, put your daddy back on the phone

Heh, trying to work the office and do the work downstairs is a bitch. Up the stairs, down the stairs.......back up, back down....

At least I'm working them pounds off da ass.