ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Bill Kuharich (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266340)

Chiefspants 11-07-2012 10:51 PM

Bill Kuharich

Well, why not?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1313671982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?v=kxopViU98Xo&

teedubya 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

10 hours of epic sax guy?

BossChief 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

We can do better.

Hammock Parties 11-07-2012 10:54 PM

The answer is not in our past.

Titty Meat 11-07-2012 10:55 PM

The guy who's so great he's been unemployed for nearly 5 years?

Sorter 11-07-2012 11:04 PM

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/B...156/229532.gif

RealSNR 11-07-2012 11:35 PM

GL building a scout team and front office after being out of the league so long

tk13 11-07-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9097452)
We can do better.

I agree. 11 hours of epic sax guy.

BryanBusby 11-08-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9097459)
The guy who's so great he's been unemployed for nearly 5 years?

What? Pretty sure he landed in Detroit and is still there.

DaWolf 11-08-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 9097732)
What? Pretty sure he landed in Detroit and is still there.

Nope. Sports Consultant.

http://cornerstonesports.com/about-us/bill-kuharich

KC Jones 11-08-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9097455)
The answer is not in our past.

I disagree. If you want to emulate the Steelers dynasty (Clark's vision not mine), you build from within. The last thing you do is bring in an arrogant piece of shit like Pioli and let him gut your organization and fill it with yes men. Now that we've gone down that road, at least part of rebuilding would be to reach out to some of those that were part of the organization before Pioli.

dannybcaitlyn 11-08-2012 05:49 AM

The fans really didn't like him down here when he was with the Saints. So I was kind of pissed when the Chiefs picked him up.

BlackHelicopters 11-08-2012 07:06 AM

we need to move FORWARD, not look back

rabblerouser 11-09-2012 03:39 AM

I want Haley back - get him a GM he can work with and throw $5M/y with a public apology from Chunt.

For GM, Russ Ball, Tom Gamble, or Scott McLohan would be great.

But ideally, Reggie MacKenzie - he's the next Ozzie Newsome, imo.

Flame away, but I think Haley could work with those guys. And no matter what happens, this team has done permanent damage to me as a fan...and the only way to completely fix that is to fire Pioli and bring back Haley.

I know I'll get flamed, but in my heart that's how I really feel.

Lex Luthor 12-19-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones (Post 9097765)
I disagree. If you want to emulate the Steelers dynasty (Clark's vision not mine), you build from within. The last thing you do is bring in an arrogant piece of shit like Pioli and let him gut your organization and fill it with yes men. Now that we've gone down that road, at least part of rebuilding would be to reach out to some of those that were part of the organization before Pioli.

I tend to agree. Kuharich is obviously better at running drafts than Pisoli, and Pisoli only fired him because he wasn't part of the Patriot way.

Interesting article from 2009:

Underappreciated Kuharich deserved better from Chiefs

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Jan. 13, 2009

Memo to Scott Pioli: Keep Bill Kuharich.

Kuharich is Kansas City's vice president of player personnel, and to say he just got a raw deal is an understatement. Kuharich deserved to be part of the Chiefs' hunt for a general manager, but he wasn't ... and he wasn't because the Chiefs confined their search to applicants outside the club.

So they landed the Patriots' Pioli, and hooray for them.

With his proven track record, Bill Kuharich should be allowed to see his latest rebuilding project through. Now my question is: Where does that leave Kuharich? I suspect only Pioli knows.

If he does what is best for him and his new employer keeps him, he trusts him and he relies on him. Kuharich not only is good at his job; he is so good he deserved to be a candidate for the position Pioli just filled.

But he wasn't, and I'm still not sure why.

Maybe the Chiefs considered him too old. He's 55. Maybe they wanted someone more telegenic. Kuharich is more at home in a sweater and khakis. Or maybe they just wanted a perspective from someone outside the organization, someone more removed from former president Carl Peterson.

"He was collateral damage," one NFC general manager said. "The Chiefs didn't want to go anywhere near someone close to Carl. And that's unfortunate because Kuharich is outstanding."

Well, whatever the reason it was apparent Kuharich didn't pass the physical and that owner Clark Hunt would be sold on someone outside the 816 area code. And that's OK if Hunt also understood that by doing that he eliminated one of his most qualified candidates.

"I want somebody who's a shrewd evaluator of football talent," Hunt said last month. "(His) job will be to think 24/7 about the football team. That's the most important quality."

Pardon me, but I think he just described Kuharich.

Look, I don't know if he could have outpolled Pioli. I don't know that anyone could. But I do know he deserved a chance to make his case because, like Pioli, he knew how to build a football team. He did it when he was general manager with the Saints, and he has done in his nine years with the Chiefs.

Let's start with New Orleans. I know what you're going to tell me: The Saints didn't rebound from their 1990s funk until Kuharich left, and you're right. But this just in: They got good with Kuharich's players.

The foundation of the team that went to the 2000 playoffs was laid by Kuharich, and don't tell me how foolish it was for the Saints to trade away an entire draft class for Ricky Williams.

First, that was an organizational decision, with the owner signing off on it. Second, of the draft picks they sacrificed, only one -- tackle Chris Samuels -- amounted to anything. Third, Williams became a marquee player for the Saints, rushing for 179 yards in a game as a rookie and 1,000 or more yards in two of his three seasons there.

So, yeah, that move worked out. Like other drafts in New Orleans worked out, with four first-rounders under Kuharich going on to Pro Bowls.

When he left after the 1999 season, the Saints were stocked with talent -- much as Tampa Bay was when Tony Dungy departed following the 2002 season. The Saints went from dead last (3-13) in their division in 1999 to first (10-6) a year later, a remarkable achievement that earned Kuharich's successor, Randy Mueller, the league's Executive of the Year.

But the Saints won with many of the players Kuharich chose, which means he was as much Executive of the Year as Mueller.

And let's not forget, it was Kuharich who brought free agent Jake Delhomme to the Saints in 1997. I once remember him telling me he thought the guy was good enough to start for the club. Only he never really had a chance. So he shuffled off to Carolina after Kuharich left ... and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl.

Score another for Kuharich.

Now fast forward to Kansas City. It was Kuharich who ran the pro personnel department that acquired starters like running back Priest Holmes, quarterback Trent Green and wide receiver Eddie Kennison and that swung the deal for tackle Willie Roaf.

It was Kuharich who ran the past three drafts that delivered a raft of starters, including Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe, Bernard Pollard, Jarrad Page, Glenn Dorsey, Brandon Flowers and Branden Albert. And it was Kuharich who oversaw a 2008 draft that was universally acclaimed as one of the best anywhere.

Four draft picks became starters, and all but one of the 11 choices played.

Then there was quarterback Tyler Thigpen, whom Kuharich recommended after watching him in a preseason game with Minnesota. The Chiefs claimed him after he was waived, and he started 11 games this season.

So the Chiefs went 2-14. Big deal. This is a tear-down long overdue. They served youth, with so many young players gaining experience that the foundation Kansas City needs to rebuild is firmly established.

Too bad the guy who made it happen isn't.

I don't know what happens to Kuharich now, and I bet he doesn't know, either. Essentially, management has just told him he's gone as far as he can in the organization, and that if he wants a promotion he can start by reaching for the yellow pages.

That's a mistake.

He has the Chiefs on the road to recovery; it just might be time to find the next patient to cure. Maybe he never becomes a general manager anywhere again, but he should at least go where he's appreciated -- and I can't believe that can't be Kansas City.

"What I've always liked about him," one league source said, "is that he knows what a football player looks like. He doesn't need a stopwatch or a list of measureables. He can just look at a guy and tell."

I remember when Kuharich once told me about an offensive lineman he admired and how he was sure he would be a perfect fit for New Orleans. Yeah, I said, I had heard of Willie Roaf, but I wasn't sure he was a can't-miss prospect. Kuharich was.

Bill Kuharich knew what he was doing then, just as he knows what he's doing now. He deserves a chance to stay with the Chiefs. So give it to him, Scott Pioli.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11256515/2