ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   James 'Boomer" Grigsby (not hating on the player) Analysis on him from CBSSportsline (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115357)

royr17 04-28-2005 08:06 AM

James 'Boomer" Grigsby (not hating on the player) Analysis on him from CBSSportsline

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/520856

ANALYSIS
Boomer is a bit undersized and will have to operate in a 4-3 defense in the pros, or possibly move to weak-side linebacker to take advantage of his foot speed. Grigsby would be best served operating in a system that will cover him up and let him roam free. He is a much better performer making plays on the move, as he does not always use his hands effectively to prevent blockers from getting into his exposed chest and stonewalling him on the play. He lacks natural hands for the interception and while he will make the effort, his small hands make him fight to secure the ball.

Blessed with exceptional quickness, for some reason this avid weightlifter's strength does not always translate to the football field. He has the speed to string plays wide, but when asked to face up he struggles to shed. He just seems to lack the size with bulk to hold up at the point of attack at times. He has very good lateral agility and reads the full flow of the ball well. He is very instinctive making reads and is alert to blocking schemes.

He has a great closing burst and good range vs. the run. Grigsby also does a good job of avoiding blocks on the move, which allows him to angle and take the shorter route to the ball carrier.

On the run, he is capable of taking proper angles to the ball and using his speed to slip through trash and make tackles in the backfield. He is more of an arm tackler, leading to a lot of missed hits as the bigger runners are able to slip off his shots. Boomer is a powerful tackler, but needs to improve his hand usage in order to gain good leverage. He seems to run around blocks too often and while he has good lateral agility, looks a little stiff in his hips when having to redirect.

Against the inside run, his weight room strength does not translate to the field. He has trouble shedding at times and can get pushed around working inside the box. He is a good wrapup tackler who can generate pop, but sometimes looks soft taking on the lead block and needs to bring his feet and explode into the ball carrier better. He is more of a move-oriented tackler, as he does not make many tackles head-on, but can wrap and drag the opponent down.

His pass coverage skills, especially in one-on-one situations are lacking. He seems to be late reacting to the receiver's moves and lacks the size to reroute tight ends. He needs to get better hand placement in pass protection and must do a better hob of getting to the drop point when playing in the zone.

As a pass rusher, he lacks any type of moves to be consistent here. He fails to avoid blockers on the inside blitz, but shows suddenness when coming off the edge and having a clear lane. His strength in the weight room could be better featured if only he'd face up more on tackles. Right now, I do not see him being an every down player, as he has marginal pass drop agility and is prone to reading fakes and biting on play action in pass coverage. He needs to learn better zone coverage responsibilities, as Boomer is not always in the right spot in his pass drop.

I like his athletic ability and think he will contribute on the next level, but doubt if he will ever come close to matching his collegiate statistics. Some teams might be considering him as a strong safety, as they feel he has reached maximum size growth potential. But with his pass coverage difficulties, it would be tough to make a position change at this time.

ROYC75 04-28-2005 08:12 AM

I like his attitude and speed, the rest we will see on the field.

Iowanian 04-28-2005 08:15 AM

I keep seeing "he's a bit undersized"....

He's friggin 250lbs and Bench presses 460. How many LBs in the league are bigger? For being so shitty at shedding blocks, he must do something right, to have what....560 tackles in College.

I realize he's not able to crush filled Barrels with his scrotum like Rich Scanlon, but he's not "undersized".

There are a heck of alot of 230lb lbs playing every sunday.

redbrian 04-28-2005 08:16 AM

Under the tutelage of Gun all the weaknesses can be corrected, as they all seem to be a matter of technique.

royr17 04-28-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I keep seeing "he's a bit undersized"....

He's friggin 250lbs and Bench presses 460. How many LBs in the league are bigger?

There are a heck of alot of 230lb lbs playing every sunday.

They are talking about him being only 5'10 to 5'11

Iowanian 04-28-2005 08:18 AM

"He is more of an arm tackler, leading to a lot of missed hits as the bigger runners are able to slip off his shots. Boomer is a powerful tackler"

So...which is it? Arm tackler who misses alot, or powerful tackler"?

5'11"...250lbs.....Sounds a tad short for LB, but that just means he's stouter than someone like Kawika, who is taller.

How tall is Zach Thomas? Jr Seau?

Strong Safety? A 250lb, strong safety?

trndobrd 04-28-2005 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbrian
Under the tutelage of Gun all the weaknesses can be corrected, as they all seem to be a matter of technique.

In the meantime, there are going to be some sore Mondays for opposing special team players.

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 08:21 AM

He is the next Rich Scanlon. Bank on it!

redbrian 04-28-2005 08:22 AM

Quote:

"He is more of an arm tackler, leading to a lot of missed hits as the bigger runners are able to slip off his shots. Boomer is a powerful tackler"

So...which is it? Arm tackler who misses alot, or powerful tackler"?

"He is a good wrapup tackler who can generate pop"

A little inconsistent in the analysis is it not.

Also the claim that he is stiff in his hips, the guy is a trampoline champ; I seriously doubt he has a problem with movement.

Edubs 04-28-2005 08:23 AM

These mofos have no idea what they are talking about. He is a freakin animal and he will be fine.

royr17 04-28-2005 08:23 AM

Zach Thomas is 5'11" 235 lbs.

Coach 04-28-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

How tall is Zach Thomas? Jr Seau?

Thomas 5'11", 230

Seau 6'3 250

ROYC75 04-28-2005 08:23 AM

The short can be an advantage if he had good hands too, so small he slides under the QB's radar screen and pick off passes with his closing speed.

But he has bad hands !

Many times the scouts can't judge a players heart, desire to play the game....... Time will tell if he can play. He will make this TC interesting.

ChiefsFanatic 04-28-2005 08:24 AM

That sure sounds like a sorry excuse for the best D-1AA player. By reading that, I am surprised that he even got drafted.

After hearing this guy talk, and watching his combine video, along with what I have read on the internet, I can't wait for him to put a Chiefs uniform on.

Iowanian 04-28-2005 08:25 AM

Seau was bigger than I realized....