ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Any Riding mower experts here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270842)

RNR 03-07-2013 12:47 PM

Any Riding mower experts here?

I am looking at the Husqvarna YTH22K46 and the John Deere D130. Any expert suggestions?

patteeu 03-07-2013 12:52 PM

If it's for mowing, my suggestion is that you look for a zero turn radius mower instead of a lawn tractor. It will reduce the time it takes you to mow and your lawn will look better.

tooge 03-07-2013 12:54 PM

How big a yard are you mowing?

HemiEd 03-07-2013 01:27 PM

RNR, It is all about your budget and what you have to spend.

I spent countless hours researching this a couple years ago, trying to avoid buying an MTD product and still got ****ed into one.

Unless you buy a pretty old Cub Cadet, or spend at least double or triple what these two mowers sell for at a small dealer, you are going to end up with an MTD mower. Just pick the color you like depending on the brand name on it. If you like green get a John Deere, etc.

I am serious, I went out of my way to buy a new Craftsman and read the reviews endlessly. They were not supposed to be MTD, but they had made a change that model year. The two mowers you are talking about are almost certainly MTD mowers. (cheap) Mine doesn't even have a bolt or screw holding the gas tank it, it is a tie strap.

RNR 03-07-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473827)
How big a yard are you mowing?

1/2 acre~

RNR 03-07-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9473936)
RNR, It is all about your budget and what you have to spend.

I spent countless hours researching this a couple years ago, trying to avoid buying an MTD product and still got ****ed into one.

Unless you buy a pretty old Cub Cadet, or spend at least double or triple what these two mowers sell for at a small dealer, you are going to end up with an MTD mower. Just pick the color you like depending on the brand name on it. If you like green get a John Deere, etc.

I am serious, I went out of my way to buy a new Craftsman and read the reviews endlessly. They were not supposed to be MTD, but they had made a change that model year. The two mowers you are talking about are almost certainly MTD mowers. (cheap) Mine doesn't even have a bolt or screw holding the gas tank it, it is a tie strap.

That is where I am at this point! I have researched extensively and only confused myself even more. The JD has a sturdier deck, but the Husky offers a wider deck at $300 less~

HemiEd 03-07-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNR (Post 9473976)
That is where I am at this point! I have researched extensively and only confused myself even more. The JD has a sturdier deck, but the Husky offers a wider deck at $300 less~

You just can't win, buy what you think is the best deal and go with it. I would get the one that is $300 cheaper, as the overall quality is probably the same.

Heck, these people aren't even sure anymore what is what. MTD has just about monopolized the business, unless you buy the real McCoy from a small JD or Cub Cadet dealer.

I bought one of those Home Depot John Deere's just like your model a few years ago, and the deck shives went out almost immediately. Dodged that bullet, as one of the JD dealers told me about the JD 30 day promise.

My Craftsman has been fine, and has a 20 horse BS motor. The Hydrostatic drive takes some getting used to. I also have an MTD that I bought used real cheap later, and fixed up, that is a few years older. Same mowers except they have cut a lot more corners on the newer Craftsman.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-07-2013 03:21 PM

despite what some claim, the big box stores and JD dealers really do sell the exact same mower. That said, the low end Deeres are no better than the others IMHO.

I got a Craftsman because of some discounts, it has done well.

I look long at ZTRs, but if you mow any slopes, stay away, they are hard to control and can flip easily.

Rasputin 03-07-2013 03:28 PM

LORD LAWNMOWER

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AcJXRFjbx80?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu 03-07-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9474226)
despite what some claim, the big box stores and JD dealers really do sell the exact same mower. That said, the low end Deeres are no better than the others IMHO.

I look long at ZTRs, but if you mow any slopes, stay away, they are hard to control and can flip easily.

They don't flip any more easily than the tractor form factor. It's all about wheel base and center of gravity. And they're not hard to control at all once you get used to them. That takes about 15 minutes, IMO.

tooge 03-07-2013 03:45 PM

Kubota makes a good one, so does Deere, but the Deere ones you see at the mega marts like home depot are not the same as the ones you get at a J Deere dealer. I can't speak to either of the ones you posted. If it is just a flat half acre, anything will do.

Buehler445 03-07-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9474226)

My understanding is the big box lines aren't the same as the JD lines. They don't even carry the same models.

RNR 03-07-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9474286)
Kubota makes a good one, so does Deere, but the Deere ones you see at the mega marts like home depot are not the same as the ones you get at a J Deere dealer. I can't speak to either of the ones you posted. If it is just a flat half acre, anything will do.

If I was not a lazy ass I would push it :)

patteeu 03-07-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNR (Post 9474290)
If I was not a lazy ass I would push it :)

Try this:

http://coffeebreakbrainburst.files.w...e-mower-1a.jpg

RNR 03-07-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9474287)
My understanding is the big box lines aren't the same as the JD lines. They don't even carry the same models.

According to Lowes they sell the exact same mowers. I was told that they are allowed to unload the crate but are not allowed to assemble the mowers. John Deere sends their own mechanic to assemble them and perform a 10 point inspection. If you purchase the extended warranty John Deere performs the work not Lowes, the same with the standard warranty. The manager said he hears this all the time and it is a myth. That is a gross misrepresentation if he is lying~