ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Sleep apnea. Anyone here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301565)

Holladay 08-16-2016 11:50 PM

Sleep apnea. Anyone here?

The wife says I quit breathing whilst asleep. Yes, I snore but give a crap. We all do.

I just noticed this today when I was trying to take a nap. I kept waking up with a snort and out of breath!

I am 51 aged, 5'8", 180 lbs. I try and eat healthy. I don't get enough exercise, I have high bp and am taking cholestoral crap meds, drink too much et. al.

I did a sleep test 10 yrs ago with no bad results. I am thinking with age, things have changed. I seem to be tried all the time. I put it down as age, work etc.

I don't want to do the "C-Pap" machine, or cut out my uvula (not vulva). I was going to look into the mouth piece thingie that holds out your lower jaw?

I will probably do another sleep test, but think this time they will say I have a problem. Again, don't want to be hooked up to a machine at night (C-Pap).

Has anyone been through this and what was the best solution.

Simply Red 08-16-2016 11:55 PM

Get that terminator mask.

EPodolak 08-17-2016 12:01 AM

Try the lower jaw thing, maybe a breathe right strip while you're at it. Keep it simple if you can.

Don't delay seeing a doc if it's a serious matter though.

threebag 08-17-2016 12:10 AM

There is a thread somewhere just have to search.

Edit:
There are a few different threads relating to sleep issues.

manchambo 08-17-2016 12:17 AM

I had deviated septum and other issues in nose that instructed breathing there. Basically had a nose job to fix that. And I got a mouth guard to hold out lower jaw. Works well and much nicer than c pap.

BigRedChief 08-17-2016 01:04 AM

I was a Respiratory Therapist for 9 years. I use to work in a sleep lab and score sleep studies. There is a thread with all the information in it.

Stopping breathing is a big deal. It's at least at a minimum a threat to your health in the long term. In the short term you are not getting and staying in REM III sleep.

stumppy 08-17-2016 06:20 AM

Pretty sure I have it too. I've been told for a long time I quit breathing during the night. For the last year or so I've been waking up in the middle of the night. It wasn't too bad at first but it's gotten to where it's 3 to 4 times a night. I get up and out of bed in the morning and I'm tired as hell. I usually have to take a nap before noon but am still tired most of the day. So yea, pretty sure I have it too. Gonna talk to my Dr. about it next month.

HayWire 08-17-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 12372077)

Stopping breathing is a big deal.

Really? Never realized this. ROFL

Fire Me Boy! 08-17-2016 06:33 AM

I really dreaded getting the CPAP. It's been one of the best things I've done. I really didn't realize how tired I was until I wasn't tired anymore.

tmax63 08-17-2016 06:33 AM

I did a sleep study a while back and they didn't think I needed a c-pap, they wanted me to do nighttime oxygen. Said my O2 sats dropped during REM sleep. I told them it's not gonna happen. Not gonna get dependent on an O2 tank. Period. End of story. Maybe in 20 years but not now.

HemiEd 08-17-2016 06:46 AM

Been on a cpap for four years now and love it. Wouldn't want to have to pick between it and Mrs.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lzen 08-17-2016 07:07 AM

I have had this issue for the past few years. Haven't mentioned it to my doctor, though. If I sleep on my side it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Predarat 08-17-2016 07:08 AM

I've got it, use a CPAP, took a lot of time for me to get used to it. It does help me feel better during the day especially late afternoon/evening times.

Frosty 08-17-2016 07:11 AM

I've had a CPAP for about a year now and am still trying to get used to it. I have no problem falling asleep with the mask on but I end up pulling it off after a couple of hours (I don't remember doing this). The biggest problem is that I can't sleep on my back. I have a deviated septum and I can't breathe if I'm on my back. Sleeping on my side makes the mask eventually slip because of the pillow and the mask will start blowing into my eyes. This is probably why I pull it off.

It's frustrating because I really need this to work because otherwise I am exhausted all of the time. I didn't even try the mouth guard because I know I wouldn't sleep with something in my mouth (braces and headgear as a kid). The only thing that would actually solve it isn't covered by my insurance.

Frosty 08-17-2016 07:13 AM

Oh, and the sleep study kind of sucked. It was hard to sleep covered in wires and in a strange location. Also, it turns out I'm allergic to the adhesive they used to attach the probes and I ended up with itchy welts all over from it.