ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football New safety rule proposal for NFL RBs. Emmitt Smith says NFL has lost its mind (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271172)

Deberg_1990 03-15-2013 06:47 AM

New safety rule proposal for NFL RBs. Emmitt Smith says NFL has lost its mind

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/e...lost-its-mind/

The NFL is changing its rules to prevent ball-carriers from initiating contact with the crown of the helmet.

It’s an attempt to make the game safer – but the league’s all-time leading rusher, Emmitt Smith, thinks the NFL should have its own head examined.

“If I’m a running back and I’m running into a linebacker, you’re telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?’’ Smith said Thursday in an exclusive interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “You’ve absolutely lost your mind.’’

The NFL’s rules-making competition committee will propose this change to NFL owners at league meetings next week. At least 24 votes from 32 owners are required for passage.

“As a running back, it’s almost impossible (to not lower your head),’’ said the Dallas Cowboys legend. “The first thing you do is get behind your shoulder pads. That means you’re leaning forward and the first part of contact that’s going to take place is your head, regardless.

“I disagree with the rule altogether. It doesn’t make any sense for that position. It sounds like it’s been made up by people who have never played the game of football.’’

It is the league’s view that the crown of the helmet is dangerous for both the defender (who isn’t allowed to use the technique against ball-carriers) and the player with the ball. The competition committee is clearly seeking extra protection for defenders.

“That’s part of the game,’’ Smith said of “the violent part of the game … I don’t know how you’re going to be able to enforce that rule without really jeopardizing the integrity of the game itself. ‘’

Smith, who helped the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles and in his 15 NFL seasons amassed a record 18,355 rushing yards, believes the league’s effort “makes the ref’s job, that’s already hard, even tougher. There’s no way in the world a running back is not going to be able to avoid contact without leading with his head first. … If this is truly what the NFL is trying to get after and they’re calling that ‘defenseless’, it’s so subjective that it doesn’t make any sense. That’s one rule that absolutely does not make sense. ‘’

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 06:50 AM

**** this rule

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/a.../1225465_o.gif

Direckshun 03-15-2013 06:51 AM

Emmitt Smith done said the NFL had loss its mine.

chiefzilla1501 03-15-2013 07:10 AM

What the **** good has Goodall done.with anything.

Want to make the game safer? Make players wear specific equipment and make that decision asked on safety, not based on which supplier provides the best sweetheart deal.

Rasputin 03-15-2013 07:13 AM

Roger Goodell knows what it is like because he played pee wee football.

Now he is trying to make it as tough as pee wee football.

Rasputin 03-15-2013 07:15 AM

Just change the name to NFFL National Flag Football League.

Dayze 03-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9501151)
What the **** good has Goodall done.with anything.

Want to make the game safer? Make players wear specific equipment and make that decision asked on safety, not based on which supplier provides the best sweetheart deal.

and or, eliminate the other injury causing aspects. like cut-blocks.

it's a dog and pony show for the NFL to cover its' ass from future lawsuits IMO

In58men 03-15-2013 07:31 AM

They talked about this on Monday.

Been around for awhile I assume

CoMoChief 03-15-2013 07:35 AM

You guys realize they're doing all of this now because the NFL is getting ready to be sued out the ass for this concussion stuff right?

Lzen 03-15-2013 07:35 AM

I wish Roger Goodell would go bye bye. :shake:

Deberg_1990 03-15-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9501199)
You guys realize they're doing all of this now because the NFL is getting ready to be sued out the ass for this concussion stuff right?

Its all just so silly......ex-players who are sueing are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

How do you want it? Its a violent game. There is not much the NFL can do to make things safer without changing the integrity of the game. It would just be a completely different game.

If you dont want to risk a shorter lifespan, go find a different line of work.

Vietnam58 03-15-2013 07:43 AM

This is a horrid rule but if they have the rule for defenders its only right they have the same rule for the offensive players. . both rules suck as does the NFL lately

pretty soon the only legal tackle will be an arm tackle and the Chiefs will have the number 1 defense in the NFL

DaKCMan AP 03-15-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9501208)
Its all just so silly......ex-players who are sueing are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

How do you want it? Its a violent game. There is not much the NFL can do to make things safer without changing the integrity of the game. It would just be a completely different game.

If you dont want to risk a shorter lifespan, go find a different line of work.

This.

The problem is if the NFL has hidden injury information/risks in the past. For current/future players, however, they HAVE to know the risks.

Molitoth 03-15-2013 08:10 AM

I hate the NFL more and more every year.

jimw51 03-15-2013 11:08 AM

I am with Smith

Planetman 03-15-2013 11:15 AM

Every running play = a flag.

stevieray 03-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vietnam58 (Post 9501215)
This is a horrid rule but if they have the rule for defenders its only right they have the same rule for the offensive players. . both rules suck as does the NFL lately

pretty soon the only legal tackle will be an arm tackle and the Chiefs will have the number 1 defense in the NFL

:LOL:

Bump 03-15-2013 11:29 AM

nm

Ming the Merciless 03-15-2013 11:32 AM

I am with smith....let the ball carrier do whats best for them........what the **** is the NFL thinking messing with a great product

Demonpenz 03-15-2013 11:36 AM

The NFL should make it illegal for any player to fall down.

GoChargers 03-15-2013 11:41 AM

**** Roger Goodell. That sanctimonious prick is ruining the NFL more and more with each half-baked rule change just so HE can avoid a lawsuit.

When are the owners going to get fed up with this selfish clown? I realize the excuse is that the NFL has been extremely profitable under Goodell, but you could put a 2-year-old in charge of the NFL and still turn insane profits.

Shox 03-15-2013 01:20 PM

I predicted a year ago the NFL has reached it's peak and interest in the game has started to decline. These type of rules will ruin it. 5 years from now, other than a handful of teams, stadiums will not be full.

notorious 03-15-2013 01:23 PM

Roger Goodell is not the enemy. He works for the owners. Rip them.

Easy 6 03-15-2013 02:39 PM

I hate goodells stinking guts, he is absolutely killing the game... lets hope this proposal dies a miserable death.

Ace Gunner 03-15-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9501260)
I hate the NFL more and more every year.

me too. I'm darn near finished watching pussyball.

mikey23545 03-15-2013 03:37 PM

The new NFL uniform:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2280/michelinman.jpg

Ace Gunner 03-15-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9502182)
Roger Goodell is not the enemy. He works for the owners. Rip them.

so the owners told goodell to destroy the patriotgate tape.

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 04:50 PM

This isn't Goodell ... this is the owners and competition committee trying to protect themselves from the player's lawsuit.

That and trying to not have a generation of kids stopped from playing football because their parents don't want them hurt.

Easy 6 03-15-2013 04:55 PM

When a running back is no longer allowed to truck a defender... just disband the whole ****ing thing, because its NOT football anymore.

Ace Gunner 03-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9502865)
When a running back is no longer allowed to truck a defender... just disband the whole ****ing thing, because its NOT football anymore.

indeed. somebody needs to tackle goodell while leading with his head. ****ing mickeymouse moneygrubbing idiot.

milkman 03-16-2013 09:14 AM

I am no fan of Roger Goodell, but the outrage directed to him is misguided and stupid.

You want to blame someone for these rules, blame the retired players who were apparently too stupid to recognize the risks of playing a violent sport.

BlackHelicopters 03-16-2013 09:55 AM

Fo shizzle, rizzle?

KurtCobain 03-16-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9505199)
I am no fan of Roger Goodell, but the outrage directed to him is misguided and stupid.

You want to blame someone for these rules, blame the retired players who were apparently too stupid to recognize the risks of playing a violent sport.

Too stupid because of brain damage, of course.

alpha_omega 03-16-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9501199)

Winner.

KChiefs1 03-16-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9501110)

Campbell should have had a 15 yard penalty & thrown out of the game!

KChiefs1 03-16-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9502694)

Sweet!

tk13 03-16-2013 10:57 PM

It's just the way it's going to be. Especially as more and more studies show that most of these guys have suffered brain damage. Goodell has to battle the impending lawsuits, the fear that more parents will turn their kids away from football... meanwhile trying to find a way to push the season to 18 games. You wonder if head contact will even be allowed in 15 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-16-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9501952)
The NFL should make it illegal for any player to fall down.

lmao
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ 03-16-2013 11:02 PM

I'm so sick of people bitching about rule changes. The game is going to change because it's been revealed that it's really fucking people up. And the league is on the hook financially for massive amounts of money because of that damage. I have no idea if this particular rule is going to help, and perhaps its going to end up not being approved or not working. But can we get over the bitching about the efforts to fix the game and complaining that it's changing.

jAZ 03-16-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9507668)
... the fear that more parents will turn their kids away from football...

It's not merely a fear.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...rner-football/

It's a near certainty unless something changes.

Valiant 03-16-2013 11:07 PM

I think it is absolute bs. But. If they pass these others stupid rules they need to add this one to balance it out. Maybe a new league will form. And they go back to leather helmets and pads. Ala rugby. KC might win something then.

bowener 03-16-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9501200)
I wish Roger Goodell would go bye bye. :shake:

At $29million a year I doubt he goes anywhere.

HMc 03-16-2013 11:14 PM

eliminate helmets altogether. You don't see this head as a weapon shit in rugby because people tend to be protective of their heads. Give a guy a helmet, whether he's on a bicycle, skiing, playing football or whatever, and he suddenly thinks he's invincible.

SPATCH 03-16-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9507702)
eliminate helmets altogether. You don't see this head as a weapon shit in rugby because people tend to be protective of their heads. Give a guy a helmet, whether he's on a bicycle, skiing, playing football or whatever, and he suddenly thinks he's invincible.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was trying to envision an NFL without helmet-initiated contact and all I can see is awkward rugby tackles. Rugby players let off the gas just a bit before they initiate contact; same thing would happen in the NFL. Truly full speed collisions could be eradicated from the league almost entirely.

Sad.

tk13 03-16-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9507685)
It's not merely a fear.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...rner-football/

It's a near certainty unless something changes.

One of the doctors involved in the Boston U. study that helped get the ball rolling on all of this has already said kids under 14 shouldn't play football.

Earthling 03-17-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

This. :thumb:

jAZ 03-17-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9507761)
One of the doctors involved in the Boston U. study that helped get the ball rolling on all of this has already said kids under 14 shouldn't play football.

I was at a summer camp fair today and was going from table to table. I walked by the football league table and started talking to the guy getting information and realized that I wasn't planning on introducing football to my son and had no reason to to talking to him. So I started getting impatient and looking around to see if my son was going to wander over and start asking about it.

I'm genuinely disappointed as a father because I have always planned to coach my son in little league football. But that's not going to happen. Basketball it is.

acesn8s 03-17-2013 08:07 AM

If the NFL really wanted to stop the players from using the crown of their helmet they should have the players wear the same head gear as boxers. It will prevent the jaw from having the side to side action that causes unconsciousness from severe blows. Additionally, the tops are exposed to discourage the players from dropping their head.

notorious 03-17-2013 08:18 AM

Wow, kids are getting concussions in Pop-Warner? WTF?

I have been involved in some fairly massive shots through Jr High and HS, (giving and receiving) and never got a concussion. I guess I am just lucky.

Easy 6 03-17-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

But then it would become rugby, and this isn't rugby.

Valiant 03-17-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9508348)
But then it would become rugby, and this isn't rugby.

Really? Were we advocating getting rid of passing and all the other aspects? Football here originally used leather, it would be going back to its roots if anything and making the game safer..

Mav 03-17-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9508056)

I have been involved in some fairly massive shots through Jr High and HS, (giving and receiving) and never got a concussion. I guess I am just lucky.

Yeah. I thought the same thing. in high school, i was the gunner on punts, i was the wheel on kickoffs, i set crack downs on lbs, i dont ever recall getting a concussion. Saw stars a couple times. shrugs....who knows

Easy 6 03-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9508354)
Really? Were we advocating getting rid of passing and all the other aspects? Football here originally used leather, it would be going back to its roots if anything and making the game safer..

I bet if you polled all active players, this idea would die a miserable death.

To look at just one aspect of the game, imagine O lines vs D lines... it would look ridiculous, just a big, slow rugby scrum.

It would completely change the game I love most, and i'll never be sold on that idea.

BlackHelicopters 03-17-2013 11:22 AM

Didn't know Smith could put together a complete sentence.

jAZ 03-17-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9508056)

You've never been diagnosed. And as a kid, how would you ever self diagnose. Perhaps it's more likely to happen now than in the past.

jAZ 03-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9508365)
Yeah. I thought the same thing. in high school, i was the gunner on punts, i was the wheel on kickoffs, i set crack downs on lbs, i dont ever recall getting a concussion. Saw stars a couple times. shrugs....who knows

I remember doing a drill in 7th Grade where each player stood in the center of a circle of other players and the coach would call out a player number who would rush in and try to level the person at the middle. That person would get slammed good each time often without having any idea where the hit was coming from. I guess the point was to develop improved awareness and to learn to take hits.

In the end, it played a role in my choosing not to keep playing football in HS. It also seems like, looking back, exactly the kind of drill the may have left kids with concussions that we never knew about.

Mav 03-17-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9508430)
I remember doing a drill in 7th Grade where each player stood in the center of a circle of other players and the coach would call out a player number who would rush in and try to level the person at the middle. That person would get slammed good each time often without having any idea where the hit was coming from. I guess the point was to develop improved awareness and to learn to take hits.

In the end, it played a role in my choosing not to keep playing football in HS. It also seems like, looking back, exactly the kind of drill the may have left kids with concussions that we never knew about.

Bull in the ring. Yup. Remember that one.

TribalElder 03-17-2013 11:39 AM

Emmit smith must be suffering the effects of using the crown of his helmet during his career. This sounds like a great idea NFL

Not

This rule fails at life. Keep ****ing with the rules and soon it will be so pussified nobody will be interested anymore.

Brock 03-17-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

ROFL what a pussy.

hometeam 03-17-2013 11:49 AM

This change wont happen, they are proposing it so that they can say they did. Anyone can see that it cannot pass and allow the game to remain even closely the same.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-17-2013 02:15 PM

Oklahoma Drill. Got paired up with a fast little goddamned midget who caught me at the knees and took me down. I just couldn't get low enough on the ****er. Little bastard. He did however possess the stupidity to get in my face in the locker room after practice and say something derogatory about my father. Mmm...I wonder how HIS father felt, coming to pick him up from practice, and having to work with Coach to pry his little ass out said lockers? Good times....
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ 03-17-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9508469)
ROFL what a pussy.

Yes, that's exactly it.

jAZ 03-17-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9508469)
ROFL what a pussy.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/04...ion/index.html

ghak99 03-17-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

ROFL

If this is the drill that pushed you out of football, it's a damn good thing your vagina never saw the field in an actual tough physical game.

jAZ 03-17-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 9509155)
ROFL

If this is the drill that pushed you out of football, it's a damn good thing your vagina never saw the field in an actual tough physical game.

Some of you people are exactly the problem.

http://web.archive.org/web/201008071...icle/6418/6533
Dear Coach,
Our son's coach was trying to do a bullring drill last night. I have heard nothing positive about this drill, plus have heard a lot of associations have banned or just stopped using it. What are your feelings on this drill?

Thank you,

Concerned parent

Hi Parent,

This is a drill that was in fashion a long time ago and one you do not see used as much today. The premise of the drill is that it will develop toughness in the individual players.

A Bull in the Ring drill is where a group of players form a circle with one player in the center. One at a time, the players in the ring attack the player in the center by charging at him. The player must adjust his position and try to neutralize the attack, then reset and prepare for another player. The drill continues until the coach calls an end and puts another player in the center.

My feeling as a coach has always been to use my valuable practice time conducting drills that teach a technique or skill that the player can and should use when playing the game. I never felt that this drill served that purpose.

Often when we as coaches use a drill of this nature, it has the opposite result. The players may go through with the drill, but in the end it often is cause for them to no longer have the desire to continue to play football. Developing this desire to play is something every coach should try to promote.

Every practice drill should be built on teaching, repetition and understanding by the player and designed to increase the opportunity for the player to enjoy success on the playing field and not to have needless contact.

My hope would be that this coach would introduce his players to feeling comfortable with contact by teaching safe tackling and blocking techniques in supervised drills that carry over to actions in a game.

Coach Tom Bass

Coach Tom Bass, the technical writer and advisor for USA Football, is a 30-year NFL coach who has also authored several books, including "Play Football the NFL Way" - the first "how to" book ever authorized and published by the NFL. Coach Bass is happy to personally autograph his books to you. Book ordering information can be found at http://www.coachbass.com/.

HMc 03-17-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9508370)
I bet if you polled all active players, this idea would die a miserable death.

To look at just one aspect of the game, imagine O lines vs D lines... it would look ridiculous, just a big, slow rugby scrum.

It would completely change the game I love most, and i'll never be sold on that idea.

The players are the last people you need to survey on matters of this nature. Many of them can barely spell.

Molitoth 03-17-2013 05:57 PM

So an 18 year old can join the army and put his life at risk while making next to nothing, and I'm supposed to worry about what could happen to a multi millionaire that plays a game for a living?

The rule changes are lame and that's that.

What's next? MMA fights without punching?

jAZ 03-17-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9509413)
So an 18 year old can join the army and put his life at risk while making next to nothing, and I'm supposed to worry about what could happen to a multi millionaire that plays a game for a living?

The rule changes are lame and that's that.

What's next? MMA fights without punching?

You should worry more about when soldiers are forced into war and less about what the NFL does with it's rules.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9509676)
You should worry more about when soldiers are forced into war and less about what the NFL does with it's rules.

Fans have every right to bitch about these rule changes. The violence is what makes the game great. Viewership will plummet and the sport will die if we continue to go down this path.

Demonpenz 03-17-2013 09:11 PM

There are tons of drills it seems for football that does nothing but promote huge hits that sound good, but don't actually help tackling.

jAZ 03-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9509827)
Fans have every right to bitch about these rule changes. The violence is what makes the game great. Viewership will plummet and the sport will die if we continue to go down this path.

Talk to him about his soliders/war standards for his worry. Not me.

Our society, and humanity in general fears the unknown, and change brings unknown. History shows that most things work out. And when they don't, we change it again.

But reality is what's going to threaten football, not rule changes. Reality is that it's a sport that's been played in a way that has lead to brain damage and subsequent death for players. And the NFL sees the long term risks that many fans could care less about.

Change is rarely as traumatic as those who fear it predict. New rules will be tested, implemented and adjusted if it doesn't work.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9507677)
I'm so sick of people bitching about rule changes.

Why? For the last fifteen years, the Competition Committee is doing its best to destroy the sport. Fans have every right to bitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
The game is going to change because it's been revealed that it's really ****ing people up.

Not our problem. Those "people" should have known risks of partaking in the violent activity of football. They were financially compensated for their work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
And the league is on the hook financially for massive amounts of money because of that damage.

Why? The NFL didn't force them to participate and be compensated for their work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
I have no idea if this particular rule is going to help, and perhaps its going to end up not being approved or not working.

SPOILER ALERT: It won't and ball carriers will ignore it. You can't regulate natural instinct. This is just a knee-jerk reaction to pander to the pussies of this country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
But can we get over the bitching about the efforts to fix the game and complaining that it's changing.

**** you. The sport is not being "fixed." It is slowly being destroyed. If I wanted to watch soccer, I would watch soccer.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9509863)
Talk to him about his soliders/war standards for his worry. Not me.

Our society, and humanity in general fears the unknown, and change brings unknown. History shows that most things work out. And when they don't, we change it again.

But reality is what's going to threaten football, not rule changes. Reality is that it's a sport that's been played in a way that has lead to brain damage and subsequent death for players. And the NFL sees the long term risks that many fans could care less about.

Change is rarely as traumatic as those who fear it predict. New rules will be tested, implemented and adjusted if it doesn't work.

As long as players understand the risks that are involved, who cares? What happened to personal responsibility? The fans' opinion does matter because the violence sells the sport. Without the violence, no one will watch.

jAZ 03-17-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9509873)
Not our problem. Those "people" should have known risks of partaking in the violent activity of football. They were financially compensated for their work.

1) If they had known the risks, they would have had an opportunity to negotiate higher compensation to cover for the long term medical bills.

2) The league recognizes that the league is facing an existential threat. You don't see that and don't really care, which is odd given that you seem to care about being able to watch the NFL.

Setsuna 03-17-2013 09:26 PM

The world needs more soccer players and baseball players. At least Zoccer will agree with me.

jAZ 03-17-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9509882)
As long as players understand the risks that are involved, who cares? What happened to personal responsibility? The fans' opinion does matter because the violence sells the sport. Without the violence, no one will watch.

The players and the public just found out about the degree of these risks.

2500 former players have filed a lawsuit claiming that the NFL (like the tobacco companies) suppressed study data showing these risks. If true, then the only people who knew all of what was going on in years past was the NFL ownership itself.

Have you not been paying attention to this in the news?

jAZ 03-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9509882)
Without the violence, no one will watch.

1) You fear the unknown and have a preference for the status quo, you don't know the future. Understand the difference between the two. It will serve you well.

2) Smokers and others said that bars and restaurants would collapse if smoking was banned. Because they feared the unknown and had a preference for the status quo.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I'll be that the self interested complainers will once again be seen to be chicken littles. And the NFL is betting big that I'm right.

Time will tell, but if I'm wrong, they will adapt again.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9509899)
The players and the public just found out about the degree of these risks.

2500 former players have filed a lawsuit claiming that the NFL (like the tobacco companies) suppressed study data showing these risks. If true, then the only people who knew all of what was going on in years past was the NFL ownership itself.

Have you not been paying attention to this in the news?

So you're telling me that the players and the public were too stupid to recognize the risks of playing a violent sport? I'm sorry I'm not buying that. Even if the NFL suppressed the study data, common sense dictated otherwise.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9509888)
1) If they had known the risks, they would have had an opportunity to negotiate higher compensation to cover for the long term medical bills.

2) The league recognizes that the league is facing an existential threat. You don't see that and don't really care, which is odd given that you seem to care about being able to watch the NFL.

If personal responsibility was actually valued in today's society, the NFL wouldn't even be in this situation to begin with.

Crush 03-17-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9509914)
1) You fear the unknown and have a preference for the status quo, you don't know the future. Understand the difference between the two. It will serve you well.

Both the NFL and College Football generate tremendous revenue and the players are being financially compensated (pros are being paid millions and collegiate athletes receive free schooling with the chance to be paid millions within the next four years). Team sell out their stadiums every Saturday and Sunday. What's wrong with the status quo?