ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   This is why pacemakers say "Do not remove" on them. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112448)

Rain Man 03-17-2005 12:17 PM

This is why pacemakers say "Do not remove" on them.

Yeesh.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7213656/

Man turns in pacemaker cut from mom's chest
Texan wanted to keep device as evidence in long-running dispute
Updated: 8:33 p.m. ET March 16, 2005HOUSTON - A man in Texas has returned to authorities the pacemaker he carved from his dead mother’s chest, causing an evidence tampering charge against him to be dropped, prosecutors said Wednesday.

“No one wants to prosecute someone whose mother just died,” Harris County Assistant District Attorney Leslie LeGrand III said.

James Allan Donalson, 59, acknowledged removing his mother’s pacemaker after she died in January, saying he wanted to keep it as part of a long-running dispute with a medical supplier.

Prosecutors told Donalson the charge would be dropped if he returned the pacemaker so the medical examiner’s office could study it. He resisted, but LeGrand said Donalson’s brothers eventually convinced him to relent about two weeks ago.

mikey23545 03-17-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Yeesh.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7213656/

Man turns in pacemaker cut from mom's chest
Texan wanted to keep device as evidence in long-running dispute
Updated: 8:33 p.m. ET March 16, 2005HOUSTON - A man in Texas has returned to authorities the pacemaker he carved from his dead mother’s chest, causing an evidence tampering charge against him to be dropped, prosecutors said Wednesday.

“No one wants to prosecute someone whose mother just died,” Harris County Assistant District Attorney Leslie LeGrand III said.

James Allan Donalson, 59, acknowledged removing his mother’s pacemaker after she died in January, saying he wanted to keep it as part of a long-running dispute with a medical supplier.

Prosecutors told Donalson the charge would be dropped if he returned the pacemaker so the medical examiner’s office could study it. He resisted, but LeGrand said Donalson’s brothers eventually convinced him to relent about two weeks ago.

Yeah, but let's face it, by the time you can see the "Do Not Remove" sticker....

mikey23545 03-17-2005 12:23 PM

I hope he saved his receipt for that pacemaker....

Rain Man 03-17-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545
Yeah, but face it, by the time you can see the "Do Not Remove" sticker....

That is indeed a problem. And it's not like anyone ever saves the box.

HC_Chief 03-17-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

HA! :D

Bearcat 03-17-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Maybe tatoo it on their chest?

"Only open during emergencies"

The Rick 03-17-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

I hope he saved his receipt for that pacemaker....

Wonder how long she had it. If less than 90 days, maybe he can return it for a full refund...

el borracho 03-17-2005 01:35 PM

Are pacemakers internal or external devices?

Rain Man 03-17-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho

I guess it depends on how hard you pull.

BigVE 03-17-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Generally they are INTERNAL devices...in this case it seems to be either way.

Inspector 03-17-2005 05:50 PM

My heart goes out to them.

el borracho 03-17-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE
Generally they are INTERNAL devices...in this case it seems to be either way.

That is what I thought which makes the following very disturbing: "James Allan Donalson, 59, acknowledged removing his mother’s pacemaker after she died in January"

Rain Man 03-17-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

That is what I thought which makes the following very disturbing: "James Allan Donalson, 59, acknowledged removing his mother’s pacemaker after she died in January"

In the first paragraph, it's stated that he "carved" it out of her chest. That just doesn't seem like something a good son would do.

mikey23545 03-17-2005 06:37 PM

I'm just really glad the word after is in that sentence....

seclark 03-17-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

I'm just really glad the word after is in that sentence....

pretty damn extreme either way.
sec