ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs' offense: "one of the worst in the league, by nearly every measure" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276680)

keg in kc 09-26-2013 09:06 AM

This is exactly like 2009, just the opposite side of the ball. The difference now is that the offense, at least on paper, is much more talented than the defense that year.

Anywho, there's nothing in this article or this thread that hasn't been said here a thousand times in the last month. The offense is struggling, and the offense will be the team's downfall if they don't come together. 3-0 is great, and it's really satisfying to see a team in Kansas City that finds ways to win, rather than ways to lose.

Pair that kind of team psychology with a top defense, and an offense that's even just adequate - middle-of-the-pack, run of the mill, not bottom-of-the-barrel like now - and this is a team that can be a contender to not just compete for a wild card or even the division, but can actually win playoff games.

And that's why we "negative" people are so passionate about the offense improving. Because we can see that. We believe that the offense can be more than it is, even with a limited centerpiece like Alex Smith.

They should be more than they are. And we want them to be. Because we're fans.

And we should probably revisit this thread about once a month just to see how the progress is going.

Marcellus 09-26-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10020871)
Remember when the Chiefs went 9-0 in 2003, and there was a steady supply of healthy criticism for the defense that was only a slight improvement over the exceptionally putrid 2002 form?

God, the bitching. And I'm not talking about the people who were critical of the defense. I mean the people who were bitching about the people bitching about the defense. Guess what? It's the same thing here. People in 2003 were outright PISSED and appalled that some people could find fault with the Vermeil 9-0 team when they were still undefeated. I see the same thing happening here. The defense is good. We got it. Within the first few days after the Philly game, we had posted every ball-washing blog and media source available that heaped praises on our defense. There's really not much more to say about this defense and how good it is that hasn't already been said before (unless you're Sorter and want to collaborate with GoChiefs on breaking down all the different formations).

Meanwhile, the offense IS a piece of shit right now, and coming up with possible solutions and ways we can improve and WHY we need to improve are the hot topic issues. That's just the way it goes.

If you don't have that, what's this forum? What the **** is it? What does this forum look like in the Utopian CP Society mind of "just enjoy the ride" fan? I'll tell you what it looks like:

"3-0! WOOOO!"

"JAMAAL CHARLES! WOOO!"

"JUSTIN HOUSTON! WOOO!"

"I HATE DENVER! WOOO!"

2 things - the 2003 defense was good through 8 games. Mazlowski got hurt and it went downhill fast. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Yea the offense needs work. It needs to fix 3rd and short and stop the dumbass penalties.

6 OL penalties last week. 6.

Old Dog 09-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperVisor (Post 10020864)
every measure other than the most significant one... Turnovers

I will argue that points are more important

Imon Yourside 09-26-2013 09:09 AM

In all fairness what good does the bitching do? We're stuck with Alex Smith this year for sure, so enjoy the ride please. I know even if we make the playoffs, we probably won't go far. I wanted GENO as much as the next guy, but I am fully behind our team. I am somewhat happy we haven't extended AS contract at least, so that shows we're at least in wait and see mode thus far yes? We are 3-0 and although it may look flimsy it feels a lot better than last year. Ok everyone feel free to resume your bitchfest. :D

OnTheWarpath15 09-26-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10020887)
This is exactly like 2009, just the opposite side of the ball. The difference now is that the offense, at least on paper, is much more talented than the defense that year.

Anywho, there's nothing in this article or this thread that hasn't been said here a thousand times in the last month. The offense is struggling, and the offense will be the team's downfall if they don't come together. 3-0 is great, and it's really satisfying to see a team in Kansas City that finds ways to win, rather than ways to lose.

Pair that kind of team psychology with a top defense, and an offense that's even just adequate - middle-of-the-pack, run of the mill, not bottom-of-the-barrel like now - and this is a team that can be a contender to not just compete for a wild card or even the division, but can actually win playoff games.

And that's why we "negative" people are so passionate about the offense improving. Because we can see that. We believe that the offense can be more than it is, even with a limited centerpiece like Alex Smith.

They should be more than they are. And we want them to be. Because we're fans.

Great post, Keg.

To the bolded point - I mentioned something similar earlier. This team has a chance to be special, but only if the offense gets it shit's together.

Right now, the defense is allowing 11 PPG.

The defense and kicking game ALONE are scoring 10 PPG.

They are getting away with it, but it's not going to happen forever.

keg in kc 09-26-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 10020893)
In all fairness what good does the bitching do? We're stuck with Alex Smith this year for sure, so enjoy the ride please. I know even if we make the playoffs, we probably won't go far. I wanted GENO as much as the next guy, but I am fully behind our team. I am somewhat happy we haven't extended AS contract at least, so that shows we're at least in wait and see mode thus far yes? We are 3-0 and although it may look flimsy it feels a lot better than last year. Ok everyone feel free to resume your bitchfest.

What does this thread/discussion have to do with Geno Smith, why do you think that anyone involved in it isn't "fully behind our team" and why does open, honest discussion have to be labeled as a "bitchfest"?

Wallcrawler 09-26-2013 09:13 AM

I don't like this subject much.

Game situation dictates playcalling quite a bit. You don't just go out and take shots to score points just to say you scored points on a drive if you've already got the lead.

The Berry pick 6 in Philly put the Chiefs up 10 points. Obviously youre not going to have super aggressive playcalls offensively with that. Why would you force the ball down field, maybe make a mistake, when you already have a 2 score advantage?

Keep in mind that this is the worst team in the league from last year, and we're running a brand new offense. Generally, this is a recipe for horrible starts, but thanks to the defense, and thanks in huge part to our quarterback not giving the football up, we're 3-0.

In the Cowboys game, and the Eagles game, when the chips were down and the offense had to stay on the football field, they did. Alex drove the team right down the field an answered the Cowboys with a TD to Bowe in the second half. Then another big drive for the FG to put us up scores.

That drive in the 4th quarter against the Eagles from the 5 yard line? Nails. That was a clock destroying, point scoring drive.

Offense isn't just about points. Its about killing the clock and keeping the other team incabable of putting up points of their own because their offense is riding the pine.

The O is good enough to be 3-0. They haven't peaked, and they will get better as the season goes on. That O-line certainly cant get much worse.

Imon Yourside 09-26-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10020896)
Great post, Keg.

To the bolded point - I mentioned something similar earlier. This team has a chance to be special, but only if the offense gets it shit's together.

Right now, the defense is allowing 11 PPG.

The defense and kicking game ALONE are scoring 10 PPG.

They are getting away with it, but it's not going to happen forever.

Also I have to point out this offense has only been together for 3 games, it will get better over time. How much? I don't know but at least Smith seems to absorb things fairly quickly.

OnTheWarpath15 09-26-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10020890)
I will argue that points are more important

EXACTLY.

Which is why all those teams are still winning, even with committing the so-called deadly turnover.

You think fans in Chicago or NO are sweating the fact their QB's are on pace to throw an INT a game?

**** no - they know it doesn't matter, because their QB can also light up the scoreboard.

Rausch 09-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10020871)
Remember when the Chiefs went 9-0 in 2003, and there was a steady supply of healthy criticism for the defense that was only a slight improvement over the exceptionally putrid 2002 form?

God, the bitching. And I'm not talking about the people who were critical of the defense. I mean the people who were bitching about the people bitching about the defense. Guess what? It's the same thing here. People in 2003 were outright PISSED and appalled that some people could find fault with the Vermeil 9-0 team when they were still undefeated. I see the same thing happening here.

I'm absolutely reeruned happy that after spending almost all my vacation days to have 3 day weekends (giving me all Chiefs games off) we've turned the corner from putrid to respectable.

And that is where we are. We are not a complete team yet.
To expect perfection in year one because of the current record is just stupid.
After 3 weeks I fully expect 10-6 and a playoff game (that we will lose.)

And after that happens I'll be ****ing screaming mad.

2 days after that I'll remember that this is YEAR ONE of rebuilding a fan-chise....

stevieray 09-26-2013 09:14 AM

from 2-14 to winning playoff games with a new coaching staff.

sounds realistic.

duncan_idaho 09-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 10020893)
In all fairness what good does the bitching do? We're stuck with Alex Smith this year for sure, so enjoy the ride please. I know even if we make the playoffs, we probably won't go far. I wanted GENO as much as the next guy, but I am fully behind our team. I am somewhat happy we haven't extended AS contract at least, so that shows we're at least in wait and see mode thus far yes? We are 3-0 and although it may look flimsy it feels a lot better than last year. Ok everyone feel free to resume your bitchfest. :D

It only cycles into "bitching" when truefans/Smith ballwashers start digging into their excuse books for every critique of the offense or Alex Smith. Or when people tell us to just enjoy the ride. Or when people say the current state of the offense IS good enough to win in the playoffs.

OnTheWarpath15 09-26-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 10020903)
Also I have to point out this offense has only been together for 3 games, it will get better over time. How much? I don't know but at least Smith seems to absorb things fairly quickly.

Chicago.

San Diego.

Philly.

All teams with new offensive philosophies, coaches and majority of new OLmen.

Also, all teams scoring 26+ PPG.

No excuses.

dirk digler 09-26-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10020858)
Is anyone fine with that? I have yet to read here where its fine to lose in the playoffs.

Where is this coming from? Who is advocating that? What a bunch of dumb asses they must be.

I remember in 2010 when we lost in the playoffs to Baltimore and I was like, man at least we tried. That was fun.

Oh wait, no I got ****ing pissed off like hell and it ruined my whole week.

So because of that I cant enjoy being 3-0?

I get the sense that alot of Chiefs fans (not on this board) would be satisfied just making the playoffs this year. Maybe I am wrong...

IMHO Andy Reid and Alex Smith weren't brought here for a rebuild job, this is a win-now job so that is what I expect.

ChiefsLV 09-26-2013 09:16 AM

Simple answer is the offensive line play needs to improve and eliminate the holds, false starts, and illegal formations they are being called for. Also these backup TE's havent done the best job blocking either.