ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Could Sriracha see an untimely demise? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278075)

Strongside 12-12-2013 10:40 AM

I was going to look for this thread the other day. About 4 nights ago, I witnessed a grown man lose his shit on a grocery store employee because there was no Sriracha on the shelf. He was screaming obscenities and was removed from the store by management and a security guard. This was at the HyVee on Englewood and North Oak in the Northland. It was awesome.

L.A. Chieffan 12-12-2013 10:50 AM

I'm telling you guys, you need to try gringo bandito

mike_b_284 12-12-2013 10:53 AM

kind of a vague article. I'd like to know why the 30 day thing? Sriracha isn't fermented is it?

mikeyis4dcats. 12-12-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284 (Post 10270870)
kind of a vague article. I'd like to know why the 30 day thing? Sriracha isn't fermented is it?

30 day hold to see if bacteria develop in the product since it is not cooked about a certain temp. I toured a jelly factory once, they had the same thing.

NewChief 12-12-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10228944)
Sriracha is the tits.

Cholula is where it's at for thin hot sauce. Tapatio works as well.

I use both of these. My children use Valentina (the yellow label, not black) because all my hispanic students told me that's what they were raised on (it's not that hot, good flavor, heavy vinegar base). They said they use it like ketchup from an early age. My kids dig it as well. It's very heavy on the vingear... almost reminds me of Shlotzky's hot sauce (which I love). It's also extremely cheap (which Cholula is not).

mike_b_284 12-12-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10270891)
I use both of these. My children use Valentina (the yellow label, not black) because all my hispanic students told me that's what they were raised on (it's not that hot, good flavor, heavy vinegar base). They said they use it like ketchup from an early age. My kids dig it as well. It's very heavy on the vingear... almost reminds me of Shlotzky's hot sauce (which I love). It's also extremely cheap (which Cholula is not).

valentina is great for a basic hot sauce. no crap in it either.

DJ's left nut 12-12-2013 11:13 AM

Tell me more about this 'Chili Garlic....'

Anyone tried it? I love me some Sriracha but I've never tried their other varieties. I may have to grab some off amazon.

KCUnited 12-12-2013 11:18 AM

So, I paid more attention to Trader Joe's sriracha (dragon on the bottle) with some canned tuna just now and it has a definitively sweeter element, but is smokier, yet doesn't quiet pack the punch of Huy Fong. Decent substitute, but I prefer Huy Fong.

KC native 12-12-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10270818)
I'm sure the Thai owners would prefer Cali to Kansas, tax credits or no.

The sole proprietor is Vietnamese.

KCUnited 12-12-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10270923)
Tell me more about this 'Chili Garlic....'

Anyone tried it? I love me some Sriracha but I've never tried their other varieties. I may have to grab some off amazon.

I just looked and I have a bottle of this in my fridge that I'm afraid expired back in August. It's likely been in there for years. For me, it doesn't have the scope and diversity of sriracha. I only used it for stir fries.

Buck 12-12-2013 11:32 AM

I wonder what the shelf life if Sriracha is. I might buy a case of it.

ModSocks 12-12-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10270891)

I use to think that Mexicans favored Tapatio. Then i met my wife and realized that mexicans actually favor Valentina. Every mexican household i've ever been in now....Valentina. Never fails.

Skyy God 12-12-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race Card native (Post 10270939)
The sole proprietor is Vietnamese.

His last name certainly looks Vietnamese, but I didn't see anything indicating his nationality. Point stands either way.

Skyy God 12-12-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10270849)
I was going to look for this thread the other day. About 4 nights ago, I witnessed a grown man lose his shit on a grocery store employee because there was no Sriracha on the shelf. He was screaming obscenities and was removed from the store by management and a security guard. This was at the HyVee on Englewood and North Oak in the Northland. It was awesome.

That's going to be me after my Huy Fong and TJ's bottles run out.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-12-2013 11:49 AM

this stuff was ****ing awesome, got it at Sams a couple of times, then could never find it again

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...A300_SH20_.jpg